2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Royal Purple tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lil_kano
yes, I do know what i'm doing. I've been around built engines all my life. For the actual build, my friends father owns a private shop about 15mins away. As for what is needed, new pistons, connecting rods, head gasket, vavle springs & retainers, and the wet kit. A wet kit is a shot of nos with the nos using its own supply of gas to create a mixture and shoots it into your intake which then causes a bigger cumbustion by releasing more oxygen in the chambers. I have a non-return type fuel system, dtz y itz nt just a plug and play hook up for some dry kits for our cars. As far as the tranny goes, im not fully knowledgable, but my friends father will be doing its rebuild but im guessing a new tourqe converter and mayb some other parts to streghnten it up. So yes i do undertsand my situaution, i've done my research, and i understand your point of veiw and i appreciate it. realy i do. but i asked the quesition about the tranny fluid, because for nw im just doing a 65 shot, once i get my headers, downpipe and exhauhst then im going to put the 75shot. im asking about the 400hp, because i read the gm ecotec build book and thats what it said....400hp can be achieved with the upgrades listed above and a 150shot of nitrous. I have no problem with riping my car apart, it will be work, but nothing new to me. I must admit i've never actualy done my 'own' build but i've worked with my father on his builds before. As far as cost, i know it aint cheap, thats why i said i've been buying stuff little by little and probably won't do my build until sometime early next year, maybe after my b-day in april. I can go on into detail about my plans, but im just tring to show that i do know, and i am planning, this is why im asking questions. i might have stated myself wrongly, so im just trying to fix myself.
Ok, you have a bit more understanding than I originally thought but my statement still stands that this is not some type of bolt on project. I understand that you've been around engines and things like that but old school engines are totally different the newer generation of technology advanced 4 cylinder engines. It's a different ball game in a sense.

In case you didn't know, like you said, you have a return-less fuel system, typically, you'd get the fuel by splitting the return lines on a return fuel system but in your circumstance you'd have to get it from a valve thats on your engine. You can read more about it here:

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1047

Like I said though, regardless of what that build book tells you or anyone else tells you, you are not reaching 400 HP with a 150 shot of nitrous and a few bolt ons.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
well then theres my question again....why not just wait for the turbo since ur not even gonna build the engine for a while...turbo's are 1-2 months away, n tuning wont be too long, though probably more than the 1-2 months for the turbo....i always have seen turbos as a much more cost effective way to get high horsepower...not to mention its constant horsepwer opposed to a shot which only lasts as long as the shot does
Exactly.

A turbo setup will reach 400 HP, not a simple nitrous setup.

Regardless, you'll have to do motor work to reach this amount of power on the L61.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well for one, what company is releasing a kit in 1-2 months? secondly, even though what your sayin is true, i probably won't have that much to buy a kit, but i might just consider that and wait a lil longer.
i believe it was either hahn or garret....and the other following suit soon after...a simple search would turn it up...i think im gonna pm halfcent on the tranny as well
Old 12-03-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
garrett's 2.2 turbo is said to be out in janurary or feburary i cant remember.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

damn i ddidn't even realize that they were coming out with turbo kits for our cars now. I thought it would take like another 6months or so the way these comapnies have been going. But this is good to hear. I would go with a garrett setup though, i've seen a few cars with garrett setups and itz amazing...no offense against hahn, they have some good records too. Anyone going to actually do the build when it comes out? i would love to see some numbers. Once again thanks everyone, especially NJHK. I know you had good intentions with you posts man; i took nothing to offense and i'm realy appreciative. That posting of the tranny spec though was a little hard to decipher; i didnt realize whta it was at first. lol, but i got out the quarts needed for the tranny fluid replacement. thanks red wing.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:17 AM

damn i ddidn't even realize that they were coming out with turbo kits for our cars now. I thought it would take like another 6months or so the way these comapnies have been going. But this is good to hear. I would go with a garrett setup though, i've seen a few cars with garrett setups and itz amazing...no offense against hahn, they have some good records too. Anyone going to actually do the build when it comes out? i would love to see some numbers. Once again thanks everyone, especially NJHK. I know you had good intentions with you posts man; i took nothing to offense and i'm realy appreciative. That posting of the tranny spec though was a little hard to decipher; i didnt realize whta it was at first. lol, but i got out the quarts needed for the tranny fluid replacement. thanks red wing.
It's ok and you're welcome. If you need any help, you know where to find me.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
im plannin on going turbo once its released (and i have the cash...1k saved in 2.5 months work...so well see how much longer itll be till turbo)