2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Sentry's Turbo Build Thread Extravaganza!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks man.

sucks
Old 03-10-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sentry
Wow. Speechless right now.

I got to the car, made sure it ran first. It did, just bad because of no tune.

Loaded the tune, and same issue. Cranks.....then dies. Over and over. No codes, no nothing.

Reverted back to stock programming, and it starts right up. I can't drive it of course because it's not tuned.

Soooo, car is still at the dealership. I planned to drive it home, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Vince is on vacation starting today, and won't be back until Friday. Kind of sickened really.

It's obviously the tune, I just don't know where to begin troubleshooting. How could it be off that much?
the only thing i can think of is maybe the intake manifold it throwing it off .. but idk man that crazy
Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
the only thing i can think of is maybe the intake manifold it throwing it off .. but idk man that crazy
I thought the same thing, I don't think he's tuned one yet.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:40 PM

damn!! this sucks! i was planning on getting the intake mani from vulcan. but not sure now...
Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 PM

I thought the same thing, I don't think he's tuned one yet.
yea i think you are his first that i'm aware of I just didn't expect it to be that much of an issue
Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 PM

Well, trust me, Vince is a good tuner. When he gets back on friday I guarantee you we will figure something out.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:58 AM

Well, trust me, Vince is a good tuner. When he gets back on friday I guarantee you we will figure something out.
yup

i put on some new parts.. one of them being a intake for the cobalt (so the maf section was bigger then the ion)

he fixed in immediately and it worked great the first time..

he's great at what he does.. first time issues i'm suprised my car started and ran when he sent me the boost tune for my procharged ion but that just goes to show.. he knows his ****
Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 PM

The issue is not the intake causing the theft deterent to activate, first you need to have vince figure out why that is happening, then tune from there , your tune itself could be good, but you won't know until you get it to load without activating the theft. I am still wondering if the issue is not because you have the e37 pcm and the tune is for the e61.
Also, i am thinking the reason you had an issue with your injectors not fitting is because they may have changed the fuel rail in 07. Cause i am pretty sure guys running superchargers on 2.2l have run #42's without issues.
Your lucky the stock tune loaded and you didn't have to pay the dealer to unlock it again, that would have really sucked!!!! Good luck with this man, hope you get it going soon.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by b_faulk75
The issue is not the intake causing the theft deterent to activate, first you need to have vince figure out why that is happening, then tune from there , your tune itself could be good, but you won't know until you get it to load without activating the theft. I am still wondering if the issue is not because you have the e37 pcm and the tune is for the e61.
Also, i am thinking the reason you had an issue with your injectors not fitting is because they may have changed the fuel rail in 07. Cause i am pretty sure guys running superchargers on 2.2l have run #42's without issues.
Your lucky the stock tune loaded and you didn't have to pay the dealer to unlock it again, that would have really sucked!!!! Good luck with this man, hope you get it going soon.
Yes, I was scared as **** when it didn't work. Luckily the stock tune took. The tune is set for the e37 because I double checked with him, and I opened the tune in notepad and it's got e37 on it. Could the vin # be wrong? I won't know until he gets back from Vacation on Friday.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 PM

why'd you take it to the dealership if you know the issue is the tune?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
why'd you take it to the dealership if you know the issue is the tune?
He was not sure it was the tune until after he took it. But when he flashed the car back to stock before, it still would not start.

Yes, I was scared as **** when it didn't work. Luckily the stock tune took. The tune is set for the e37 because I double checked with him, and I opened the tune in notepad and it's got e37 on it. Could the vin # be wrong? I won't know until he gets back from Vacation on Friday.
Yes the vin being wrong would cause this too...

Last edited by b_faulk75; 03-11-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 PM

He was not sure it was the tune until after he took it. But when he flashed the car back to stock before, it still would not start.

Yes the vin being wrong would cause this too...
unless I'm reading the thread wrong...sounds like he took it to the dealership, brought it home and then took it back again.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
unless I'm reading the thread wrong...sounds like he took it to the dealership, brought it home and then took it back again.
I had a friend who was a mechanic look at it, and he couldn't find anything mechanically wrong with it. I assumed it was the tune, so I flashed it back to stock, but the ecm didn't like it for some reason. I had to actually take it to the dealership to get them to flash the ecm back to stock. Now, it's still on hold until Vince figures out why it won't start.

Trust me, I wouldn't take the car back to the stealership unless I had no other choice.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 PM

how the hell i tried to do that and all i got is a bunch of misc characters
Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
how the hell i tried to do that and all i got is a bunch of misc characters
Yeah, me too. But, if you notice near the top it plainly says the ecm code and the vin#.

I'll check my vin tomorrow to make sure it matches up. You can also open it in a hex editor.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 AM

when is this gonna be done so u can come hang with us?
Old 03-12-2009, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltVenomSS
when is this gonna be done so u can come hang with us?
Hopefully soon man, I'm tired of driving a ford explorer.

Vince is coming back from vacation friday, so hopefully friday.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:42 AM

Hopefully soon man, I'm tired of driving a ford explorer.

Vince is coming back from vacation friday, so hopefully friday.
im sure everybody will be out friday night...i get off at 8...so if the weather is good ill text or call to see whats up
Old 03-12-2009, 01:43 AM

Yeah, me too. But, if you notice near the top it plainly says the ecm code and the vin#.

I'll check my vin tomorrow to make sure it matches up. You can also open it in a hex editor.
you mean on the top bar? because all i see is boxes.. the top bar is just whatever he saved it as like name wise so it could be named wrong .. sorry i'm not understanding
Old 03-12-2009, 01:47 AM

man i called vince 2 days ago and i got an answering machince....i wish he would have been there...cuz i need to retune...do you know if its 50 bucks for a retune plus the equipment rental?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by mrsilent13
man i called vince 2 days ago and i got an answering machince....i wish he would have been there...cuz i need to retune...do you know if its 50 bucks for a retune plus the equipment rental?
looks like it's 75 but i think thats with tuner rental i don't remember well he'll be back tomorrow.. i needed to get in contact with him too and got an auto email back lol
Old 03-14-2009, 09:46 PM

so i swapped motors in my car and started it with the stock tune it ran with a minor vac leak but ran fine .. so i went and loaded the other tune from trifeca and my car runs for 3-5 seconds and cuts off do you guys think it could be the tune ?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by BIG-DAVE
so i swapped motors in my car and started it with the stock tune it ran with a minor vac leak but ran fine .. so i went and loaded the other tune from trifeca and my car runs for 3-5 seconds and cuts off do you guys think it could be the tune ?
Sure sounds like it, wonder why this is happening lately.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:42 PM

Sure sounds like it, wonder why this is happening lately.
yea it's very random that this is happeneing all the sudden..
Old 03-15-2009, 12:34 AM

Well, after several retunes, I think we may have found the problem with mine. For some reason, the addition of the lsj fuel rail is throwing it off. That's the only thing I can think of that has changed since it was running. I had it running with his tune, just really badly at first because of the fuel dumping, but after that fuel rail that's what started it not running at all. I know it's installed correctly, and the injectors are sealed good, but he thinks the flow rate is going to be the difference. Honestly I haven't seen any other 2.2's that have tried an lsj fuel rail, and that could be a major difference.

Last thing we tried is I flashed back to stock to datalog that, because he thinks the flow rate is different on the lsj rail, but my battery was so dead at that point that when I cranked the GT Tuner lost power because the batt was too weak. Soooo, gotta wait til tomorrow, but Vince is doing a great job and he's put in a lot of time troubleshooting with me. I still highly recommend him to anyone as a great tuner.

I think we'll get it figured out tomorrow. He's gotta figure out why the stock tune works and his doesn't. Once he figures that out, the thing is going to run once and for all. Now I just need to get those studs to fix my exhaust leak and we'll be set.

Quick Reply: Sentry's Turbo Build Thread Extravaganza!