2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Short Ram Modification- Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And thats all stainless, so theres no rust/corrosion issues either.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 PM

nice...dude u won't believe it, but i have a friend who used that as his intake...zip tie'd a huge filter onto the end and it doesnt work for **** but he thinks it does...Infiti G20 i think? from like 97ish

he tried to get me to use it on my Equinox lmao. ended up paying a metal fabrication shop to make me one, i think i can even use it on my Cobalt maybe, we'll see. if not, K&N FTW

edit: good job tho man, i like it. looks kinda ghetto, but hey if it works then what the hell, use it
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM

When you're (your friend) using zip ties to hold on critical engine componets, its time to re-evaluate what hobbies you should have and ones you shouldn't.

I know what I did is compleatly debateable, but good greif at least some thought and (keyword) planning went into it. All this is doing is routing cooler air to the filter, not the intake itself.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by blktrax
When you're (your friend) using zip ties to hold on critical engine componets, its time to re-evaluate what hobbies you should have and ones you shouldn't.

I know what I did is compleatly debateable, but good greif at least some thought and (keyword) planning went into it. All this is doing is routing cooler air to the filter, not the intake itself.
lmfao! funny thing is, this guy knows quite a bit about engines, but i really pondered that one...oh ya got one more:

same guy...takes off his resonator and rubber bands a walmart bag tight around the pocket then tells me to put my hand over it and see if any air is sucking in while he revv's it lmfao

sad, his brain must not have been working that day at all...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by shawn672
lmfao! funny thing is, this guy knows quite a bit about engines, but i really pondered that one...oh ya got one more:

same guy...takes off his resonator and rubber bands a walmart bag tight around the pocket then tells me to put my hand over it and see if any air is sucking in while he revv's it lmfao

sad, his brain must not have been working that day at all...

Wow..... I got nothin....
Old 08-01-2007, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think pushing the intake filter away from the engine while still in the bay will make much difference, I say if u're not happy with the performance sell it and get a true cold air intake.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 AM

ya but he was looking for a cheap fix, I can't blame him, he already spent like $250, to swap that for a CAI he'd probably be out another $200.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:47 PM

If i add the extension along with removing the silencer as per the How to, this should be much more beneficial. ..? I am more interested in the sound and not power gains.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:58 PM

Removing the resonator makes it louder, Pipeing it down to the front, makes it more audible through the front grill, louder still. @ 5000 its almost louder then my exhaust with the windows down.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:20 PM

Blktrax : Did you follow the How To on removing the resonator? There was some argument about removing the bumper to do this. are the instructions as simple as they make it out to be?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ You do not need to remove the bumper. It can be taken out without removing anyhting but the headlight. Some choose to remove the wheel and wheel well for easier access but it is not necessary
Old 08-01-2007, 09:08 PM

Yes you can get the resonator out without taking the bumper off.

Its MUCH easier to do with a set of wheel ramps and getting the front end up.

Remove the splashguard inside the wheel well and the headlight and headlight bracket, then its very simple.

Be sure to put the splash guard Back on.

GM's Service Instructions:

Air Cleaner Inlet Duct Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the right front tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
Remove the right front fender liner. Refer to Front Fender Liner Replacement .
Remove the air cleaner intake duct retainer.
Remove the air cleaner intake duct bolt.
Remove the air cleaner intake duct.

Installation Procedure

Position the air cleaner intake duct.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the air cleaner intake duct bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 10 Nˇm (89 lb ft).

Install the air cleaner intake duct retainer.
Install the right front fender liner. Refer to Front Fender Liner Replacement .
Install the right front tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
Old 08-06-2007, 09:53 PM

So, Blktrx: you got no real benefits save for the extra noise?

Anyone else: if he'd used a smoother pipe than that, and put the filter down in his front bumper, would it have given better results performance-wise?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by SlyBlu7
So, Blktrx: you got no real benefits save for the extra noise?

Anyone else: if he'd used a smoother pipe than that, and put the filter down in his front bumper, would it have given better results performance-wise?
Im not going to make some wild speculation about how it feels. You cant dyno a ram air effect because no matter how big the fan, unless you dyno in a wind-tunnel with the hood shut, you cant prove it.

Filters not going down there because A) im not taking the front end apart every time to chage the filter, and B) flatlands + heavy rain + wet filter = me not happy.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 PM

ok so really, whats the deal with the water in the engine damage... how likely is it to happen etc based on regular driving conditions? I put in the Injen convertible CAI (with only removing the splashguard) and all I know is to avoid puddles at all costs... is there anything else other than switching to short ram that I can do for it? are there advantages to switching to short ram for the winter??
Old 08-08-2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Slow4dr05
ok so really, whats the deal with the water in the engine damage... how likely is it to happen etc based on regular driving conditions? I put in the Injen convertible CAI (with only removing the splashguard) and all I know is to avoid puddles at all costs... is there anything else other than switching to short ram that I can do for it? are there advantages to switching to short ram for the winter??
In the winter, more likely cause of snow and slush geting packed in there, and refreezing.

But mostly its the unforseen. Espically here in the flat lands of NC, getting a freak heavy rain and low flood a lot of roads for half a day or so. And there isnt always a way around said obsiticle. Mostly its the unforseen, blowing down the hyway hit a big puddle, letting someone else drive your car. I take the better safe than sorry approach.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 AM

DON'T use PVC, or even ABS angle couplings for that matter. If you're are going to use something at a low price, there is an alternate solution on a cheaper budget. Use a Rubber clamp angle coupling. it can take the heat and will seal better, then use a small chunk of the ABS piping to connect the filter to the rubber coupling. You can get these at any hardware store. As for the degree of turn. I would say something between a 22* and 45* degree turn.