2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

So...building HHO (Hydrogen) Fuel Cell this weekend....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cakeeater
how four times? wouldn't it be half? and if you are getting any significant gain in energy from combustion you are going to need a decent amount of hydrogen and the increase in hydrogen will havea direct relationship to the increase in oxygen. The more hydrogen you get, the leaner you are going to run.
It's a quarter because electrolysis produces Hydrogen ions (H+), and Oxygen molecules (O2). One mole of a gas is the same volume regardless of how many atoms are in the molecule (could be one, could be ten, etc...). Since there are twice as many Hydrogen atoms as Oxygen, and we have 4 H+ and one O2 per reaction, we get one quarter the Oxygen.

Originally Posted by avenger09123
well I built and installed the system...just like I said I would...looks like its working, although the effect of it seems more drastic in the low end of the RPM range rather than the upper end....

My first run with it at 45mph in 5th gear on a level road against a 20mph wind showed a 60.1mpg in dash...

Freeway showed 54mpg in 5th gear cruise on a level road @60mph
Freeway showed 50mpg in 5th gear cruise on a level road @65mph
Freeway showed 40mpg in 5th gear cruise on an uphill steep grade @70mph w/ head on 20mph....

I'll take official readings tomorrow based on a full tank and the out and back trip to arizona @ 65mph....when I get back I'll fill up and see how much it took to get out there and back....should be a good enough change from the suggested 34mpg epa that it came with...

How-to pics are done and ready for everyone...though I think I will be refining the design a little more as some of what I built is a little more flimsy than I'd like....
Any control present in that experiment? I noticed you have weight reduction in your sig, what kind? We need to know your baseline MPG under the same conditions so we can compare actual gains. My SS S/C pulls dang near 40 MPG at a constant 55 MPH with no wind, on a flat road for example, I'd have to go off that baseline instead of the 29 MPG EPA rating to know what I'm really gaining. The data's great, but we need that baseline so we know what we're looking at.

Last edited by Badju587; 06-08-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:43 PM

pics / video NOW!!! i wanna see this for sure.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Badju587
It's a quarter because electrolysis produces Hydrogen ions (H+), and Oxygen molecules (O2). One mole of a gas is the same volume regardless of how many atoms are in the molecule (could be one, could be ten, etc...). Since there are twice as many Hydrogen atoms as Oxygen, and we have 4 H+ and one O2 per reaction, we get one quarter the Oxygen.

You aren't completing the decomp reaction...eventually you end up with 2H2O--->2H2+O2...twice as many hydorgen molecules. You are citing half reactions...When the gasses actually flow into the manifold there will be 2 products, hydorgen gas and oxygen gas, which are both diatomic molecules and there will be twice as much hydrogen as oxygen.

Any control present in that experiment? I noticed you have weight reduction in your sig, what kind? We need to know your baseline MPG under the same conditions so we can compare actual gains. My SS S/C pulls dang near 40 MPG at a constant 55 MPH with no wind, on a flat road for example, I'd have to go off that baseline instead of the 29 MPG EPA rating to know what I'm really gaining. The data's great, but we need that baseline so we know what we're looking at.
I could be proven wrong and this may work, i just don't see the numbers really creating that much of a difference, if any.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Banned

it's hilarious to see all the little scientists emerge lol....
Old 06-08-2008, 03:59 PM

yes it is lol
Old 06-08-2008, 05:04 PM

Ok, I made hydrogen in my garage just messing around. Here's a video:
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t=S4021647.flv
The first design hardly worked at all and consisted of stainless steel cable wrapped around a plastic tube with holes in it, that had another short piece of cable inside:

While I was looking for plastic zip ties at the store I picked up 2 stainless steel bathtub strainers at $1 each.
I attached them back to back with the zip ties and plastic spacers in between. Wires were twisted onto each strainer and viola! Another hydrogen generator.
This one produced MUCH more bubbling than the steel cable design and used a lot less metal. Ok, it's not installed in my car yet but it was fun just making bubbles!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:50 PM

This is looking good guys. I am worried about going for it in my SS/SC, but I read that Ford has a hydrogen internal combustion engine that is supercharged.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:12 PM

interesting... i could always use better gas mileage ... even though i already get about 40
Old 06-08-2008, 07:17 PM

i thought there was going to be a how to and pics up today....?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 PM

hmm...as soon as someone tries this out on an lsj and determines that its not going to blow the engine up and that it actually works i WILL be doing this
Old 06-09-2008, 02:04 AM

If anyone whats to know why the fail boat tipped, it's because it was loaded with all the **** in this thread.
Massive fail.... massive.....
Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Omega_5
If anyone whats to know why the fail boat tipped, it's because it was loaded with all the **** in this thread.
Massive fail.... massive.....
umm yeah .... you just sound like a massive tool right there lol
Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by impulseballer
umm yeah .... you just sound like a massive tool right there lol
You sound like a lemming.

What do I know.... I was only in the alternative energy field for how many years.... I even got to do the HHO study at work, and disproved it....

But yeah... I'm a massive tool.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 AM

What do I know.... I was only in the alternative energy field for how many years.... I even got to do the HHO study at work, and disproved it....

I am leaning towards not believing this hydrogen idea..., but stranger things have come true....maybe you could share some of facts from the "work study" you did?? How did you disprove it actually??

This hydrogen idea will never fly, a tornado will never hit "your" house, and you will never have quadruplets born at the chances of one in 600,000........oh wait!!!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:52 AM

The only people that believe this dont have any background in chemistry and engineering..

except for the first poster.. who must not be an A student

The problem is, enough of what he is saying could be true, but the details are what get you. You wont get enough energy out of it even if it does work. Have you researched hydrogen cars and their fuel system? (hint, look at the pressures and volumes they need to store hydrogen at just to get enough for a limited range...)

Hydrogen does work... but this isnt how to do it..

I'll sit back now and enjoy the show...
Old 06-09-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
It seems to me it would run out really fast.

Maybe last long enough to drive to town and back but that's it.

Which in all honesty might be exactly what some people need.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by stangthang
I am leaning towards not believing this hydrogen idea..., but stranger things have come true....maybe you could share some of facts from the "work study" you did?? How did you disprove it actually??
I can't share exact details, as it's not public record yet... but it was pretty simple.
Run the vehicle on the water break on gasoline. Record fuel used, air flow, load, distance, time, etc.
Run the vehicle on an "HHO fuel cell" or whatever garbage name they give it now. Record the same thing.

Results?
Fuel used was exactly the same.

Multiple tests were done on different 3 vehicles.

But, I'm probably just wasting my time by posting this... the guys who believe in HHO, are the same guys who still believe in the tooth fairy, and used to swear buy Fitch fuel catalysts....

Originally Posted by TVS_SS
The problem is, enough of what he is saying could be true, but the details are what get you. You wont get enough energy out of it even if it does work. Have you researched hydrogen cars and their fuel system? (hint, look at the pressures and volumes they need to store hydrogen at just to get enough for a limited range...)

Hydrogen does work... but this isnt how to do it..
Indeed.... it works... but not on the fly like this gimmick claims to do....

For those who care... we used to store H2 at 5000psi, and inject it between 60 and 100 psi.
Anything below 15 psi, the engine would lean out and die.
Despite what people may hear... it takes a fair amount of H2 to fuel an engine.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 AM

lets see some diagrams / pic i am really interested in this but not really willing to make my cobalt a guinea pig might try it on my buddies old jetta though if i can see some plans :P
Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by impulseballer
it's hilarious to see all the little scientists emerge lol....
******* Bill Nye's.......go put on your goggles and stir your beakers.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:19 AM

This one's interesting...
(Remember I said interesting, not smart)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB0Rn76kS1E
Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lightinbalt
i thought there was going to be a how to and pics up today....?
If you were holding your breath you might want to exhale. You don't look good in blue.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:28 AM

*puts on science hat*

Actually with electrolysis like this you don't need to stir the beaker at all the gas is made by passing electricity through an anode and a cathode in the reactant ... lol J/K (well thats actually true but i'm just dickin around)
Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
It seems to me it would run out really fast.

Maybe last long enough to drive to town and back but that's it.

Which in all honesty might be exactly what some people need.
That isn't the claim. No one ever claimed to be able to run the car wholesale off Hydrogen through electrolysis. The law of conservation of energy makes that impossible. Not to mention a normal gas engine would grenade from the heat.

The claim is that it will provide a small amount of Hydrogen, and somehow, by leaning out the air mix with this Hydrogen, trick the car into pulling fuel... which under normal circumstances only happens under a rich condition.

Too many inconsistencies so far for me to believe it. Leaning out the mix with Hydrogen, while at the same time introducing the Oxygen from the same electrolysis process... comes out as a wash once it goes boom. Since it's just recombining with the stuff it separated from, the sensors would be none the wiser.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 AM

"Why would the water cost $1 a gallon? You can use tap water.

And the catalyst can vary. Some are more efficient than others, you can use baking soda, and some use some type of potassium or something. My friend bought 500grams of some catalyst for $30 after shipping. I don't know if that was a good deal or not, we will see."

I think my car guy buddies tried the first set up with tap water, baking soda, and a crappy generating cannister.....

They redesigned the cannister, making it larger with more plates, switched to some kind of salt catalyst they had to order in the mail, and started using distilled water....

Now, these two were never the overly intelligent type....far from it....used to make me chuckle....some of the stupid crap they came up with...but they both went to some automotive tech schhol out west....graduated.....they know more about cars than I do....

And I think the whole point of using the hydrogen generator is to MIX the hydrogen with the gasoline, not run soley on the hydrogen....kind of like squirting meth, propane, or "nawz"....ha ha

Not sure how that works when the two fuels are mixed....
I think it might be worth a try with the Cobalt SC,...can be tuned for it...but not on my car still under warranty...any volunteers????
Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

*clapping* for the work....you still sounded like a tool lol

Quick Reply: So...building HHO (Hydrogen) Fuel Cell this weekend....