2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

So...building HHO (Hydrogen) Fuel Cell this weekend....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by impulseballer
*clapping* for the work....you still sounded like a tool lol
That's fine...
I'll be a tool... at least I'm not throwing away my cash...
Old 06-09-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitty
*puts on science hat*

Actually with electrolysis like this you don't need to stir the beaker at all the gas is made by passing electricity through an anode and a cathode in the reactant ... lol J/K (well thats actually true but i'm just dickin around)
I was telling you what else you should be doing instead of discussing in here. I wasn't talking about electrolysis. it was the polite way of telling a scientist to go F-off. LOL

Originally Posted by stangthang
"Why would the water cost $1 a gallon? You can use tap water.

And the catalyst can vary. Some are more efficient than others, you can use baking soda, and some use some type of potassium or something. My friend bought 500grams of some catalyst for $30 after shipping. I don't know if that was a good deal or not, we will see."

I think my car guy buddies tried the first set up with tap water, baking soda, and a crappy generating cannister.....

They redesigned the cannister, making it larger with more plates, switched to some kind of salt catalyst they had to order in the mail, and started using distilled water....

Now, these two were never the overly intelligent type....far from it....used to make me chuckle....some of the stupid crap they came up with...but they both went to some automotive tech schhol out west....graduated.....they know more about cars than I do....

And I think the whole point of using the hydrogen generator is to MIX the hydrogen with the gasoline, not run soley on the hydrogen....kind of like squirting meth, propane, or "nawz"....ha ha

Not sure how that works when the two fuels are mixed....
I think it might be worth a try with the Cobalt SC,...can be tuned for it...but not on my car still under warranty...any volunteers????
Yeah from what I have seen, the canister makes MORE of a difference than anything. The people using the sandwiched plates method separated by plastic washers are getting the most surface contact and the most active electrolysis. We are looking into having these plates made for our custom box instead of using the glass canisters as previously though. And we ordered the catylist off the net.

Last edited by Psykostevo; 06-09-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-09-2008, 02:01 PM

not saying your friends are wrong but correct me if i am wrong but if your friends used salt wouldn't that make chlorine gas a by product of the reaction since salt is NaCl ? not sure if what i am saying makes sense but chlorine gas certainly isn't good for humans and i have no idea what it would do to an engine?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM

not saying your friends are wrong but correct me if i am wrong but if your friends used salt wouldn't that make chlorine gas a by product of the reaction since salt is NaCl ? not sure if what i am saying makes sense but chlorine gas certainly isn't good for humans and i have no idea what it would do to an engine?
Yeah, there could be some weird by-products created....one of the questions I had was, "how will this screw your motor over time?"....

They did not use "table salt", but some other kind, maybe like the potassium salt mentioined in another post here.....they needed a permit # or had to buy it from a person with the resale permit or something.....

As far as stainless steel plates, they used stainless light switch covers they bought at Home depot. Other materials were eaten by the corrosive process.....I need to ask how their experiment is going...
Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM

i gotta know how this goes...Im interested in doing it now
Old 06-09-2008, 02:17 PM

thats a great source of Stainless lmao i would have never thought of that but im really considdering this HHO thing... i need some more proof just like everyone else though before i can dive in. Of course motor longevity is for sure a must and something that really needs to be taken into consideration.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 PM

This thread makes me want to design a kit and sell it...

look how much money was made from the "tornado"..

If i put together a kit for 3 easy payments $8.99 would you guys buy it?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
you might make a fortune
Old 06-09-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by TVS_SS
This thread makes me want to design a kit and sell it...

look how much money was made from the "tornado"..

If i put together a kit for 3 easy payments $8.99 would you guys buy it?
Lots of people are selling them already.
Just went to eBay and got 183 matches for "hho hydrogen kit"
Some will buy it so they don't have to go to the trouble of piecing it together. Mass produce that sucker!
Old 06-09-2008, 03:10 PM

I cant wait until there is a diy for this....
Old 06-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JRANGER
I cant wait until there is a diy for this....
dude there are plenty....go to youtube and search originalunclenemo or something like that. he's got some good designs....i would def **** with this on a pos for results....not the SS
Old 06-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by impulseballer
dude there are plenty....go to youtube and search originalunclenemo or something like that. he's got some good designs....i would def **** with this on a pos for results....not the SS
lol well i dont consider my car a pos but at $4 a gallon its worth a shot
Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM

lol yeah pics and how to will be put up tonight, I have to get my MMC back from my boss who was looking over my coil design....pics are high quality - like JPG 4MB a piece so they may take a while to load once I get them going.....

I did take shortcuts and get lazy so I just ended up sealing everythign with RTV and hooking 2 alligator clips onto it for power lol....

Pics to come up later this evening....
Old 06-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by avenger09123
lol yeah pics and how to will be put up tonight, I have to get my MMC back from my boss who was looking over my coil design....pics are high quality - like JPG 4MB a piece so they may take a while to load once I get them going.....

I did take shortcuts and get lazy so I just ended up sealing everythign with RTV and hooking 2 alligator clips onto it for power lol....

Pics to come up later this evening....
sounds good.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:28 PM

could HHO be used with a carburetor? I have had a generator made for some time now but i'm wondering how it will work with a carb.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:39 PM

Very interesting. I'm looking forward to the results. Take that oil companies!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 PM

some how i doubt it. but im optimistic
Old 06-10-2008, 07:26 AM

yes it can be used on carb i have been reading about it, apparently it is actually easier because the fuel injectors get adjusted by the computer unless you space the O2 sensors because they will detect that the car is running lean and pump in more gas. However with a carb you don't get that you control the gas with your good ol' right foot

some people i read about are using these things on generators and running houses off grid with pure hydrogen generators somehow... now sure how they are powering the hydrogen cell but i guess anything is possible...

Also bad news i think this could do some damage to the engine without coating it, i found some free plans yesterday and in the steps to construction involve stripping stock exhaust in favor of stainless steel exhaust cat-less also they suggest you get your pistons and cylinders ceramic coated to prevent premature corrosion... doesn't sound like something i am willing to chance atleast... wish i knew where i found the plans i was reading a lot of stuff yesterday... lol
Old 06-10-2008, 07:33 AM

I bought 5 stainless steel light switch covers like I've seen on youtube videos but am still not getting the wild fizzing like theirs.
The plates are screwed together and have plastic spacers, with every other plate having a positive charge. The way this was done is when the positive screw passes thru a negative plate the hole in the plate has small piece of plastic tubing for insulation. Same for the negative screw passing thru a positive plate.
A teaspoon of salt and teaspoon of baking soda were added.
It did work, just not as well as I expected. Back to the drawing board.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 AM

don't use salt it will give off chlorine as well (don't want chlorine gas!!) i think the you are supposed to use 4 -6 teaspoons of baking soda for every gallon of water also use distilled water if you aren't already to eliminate contaminates in the water that could cause corrosion to the plates other than that you have a working model and i haven't even started to play with this yet... so i can't be of much more help...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 AM

Where the **** is the how 2?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:06 AM

thats the million dollar question isn't it ...
Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 AM

don't use salt it will give off chlorine as well (don't want chlorine gas!!) i think the you are supposed to use 4 -6 teaspoons of baking soda for every gallon of water also use distilled water if you aren't already to eliminate contaminates in the water that could cause corrosion to the plates other than that you have a working model and i haven't even started to play with this yet... so i can't be of much more help...
Who are you to tell me how to do this?! I have 3.5 hrs experience now!
(jk) Thanks for the tip about the salt. I read that you shouldn't put too much baking soda in because it raises the temperature? I did notice that the alligator clips were pretty hot when I disconnected it after a couple minutes which worries me.
Also check for plastic coating on the metal. My switch plates had a thin layer that I scraped off with a rough file.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 AM

yeah last thing you want is the water to boil and spew steam into the engine... hmm not sure about the coating on the plates perhaps something isn't stainless and its corroding and placing the deposits but that would mean that one of your posts should be wearing away and the other should be gaining the others losses (dissimilar metals would cause this). I can't wait to get off work and start playing with this stuff lol

edit: a lot of people seem to add a bubbler chamber off of the HHO generator. this is basically another chamber where the tube goes into some more water and the HHO bubbles up through the water its a sealed chamber and another nipple with a hose is attached and then that goes to the intake (if that makes sense) this cools the gas as well as helps in the case of a backfire so that you don't blow up your generator

Last edited by Whitty; 06-10-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: forgot about the bubbler
Old 06-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned

yeah last thing you want is the water to boil and spew steam into the engine... hmm not sure about the coating on the plates perhaps something isn't stainless and its corroding and placing the deposits but that would mean that one of your posts should be wearing away and the other should be gaining the others losses (dissimilar metals would cause this). I can't wait to get off work and start playing with this stuff lol

edit: a lot of people seem to add a bubbler chamber off of the HHO generator. this is basically another chamber where the tube goes into some more water and the HHO bubbles up through the water its a sealed chamber and another nipple with a hose is attached and then that goes to the intake (if that makes sense) this cools the gas as well as helps in the case of a backfire so that you don't blow up your generator
you can also use a flame arrester....search on youtube...there's so many better designs that will work so much better.

Quick Reply: So...building HHO (Hydrogen) Fuel Cell this weekend....