2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

So...building HHO (Hydrogen) Fuel Cell this weekend....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitty
yeah last thing you want is the water to boil and spew steam into the engine... hmm not sure about the coating on the plates perhaps something isn't stainless and its corroding and placing the deposits but that would mean that one of your posts should be wearing away and the other should be gaining the others losses (dissimilar metals would cause this). I can't wait to get off work and start playing with this stuff lol

edit: a lot of people seem to add a bubbler chamber off of the HHO generator. this is basically another chamber where the tube goes into some more water and the HHO bubbles up through the water its a sealed chamber and another nipple with a hose is attached and then that goes to the intake (if that makes sense) this cools the gas as well as helps in the case of a backfire so that you don't blow up your generator
The coating I mentioned was applied by the manufacturer. Just a very thin plastic, which I assume is bad for the bubble-making process.
I used a water bottle for a bubbler but it wasn't producing enough to work. The generator wasn't sealed "professionally" either so that didn't help.
Anxious to see how the OP's turned out. It must be incredible since they have been working on it day and night for 4 days now!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:18 PM

I've heard about this before. I believe the issue of why they are not on production cars is the fact that you are creating a canister containing pure Hydrogen underneath your hood. Last time I checked Hydrogen was a very explosive gas.

If you were to get into an accident and your hydrogen filled canister would explode I wonder what would happen?

When I initially looked into this, I found that it was illegal to do in my state.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM

seems kinda curious that hydrogen powering a car is not legal in your state however they are developing hydrogen only vehicles... lol
Old 06-10-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I pretty sure maybe a small hydrogen generator/ bomb under your hood isn't legal

Hell make a hydrachloric acid bomb, oh wait that's chlorine gas
Old 06-10-2008, 03:08 PM

seems kinda curious that hydrogen powering a car is not legal in your state however they are developing hydrogen only vehicles... lol
Well they are developing them, but you don't see them on the road as a production vehicle quite yet.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:27 PM

Remember folks it's not a bomb, just a small jar of water with small amounts of hydrogen bubbling to the top. When you get in an accident if anything the generator will put OUT a fire
Old 06-10-2008, 04:12 PM

If you have a line running to the front of your air intake, where the hydrogen is sucked in to be mixed with air and gas......isn't that almost the same as having a gasoline line running to you carb or fuel injectors??.... Why is this a BOMB??... If you had a leak though and the hydrogen gas pooled up under the hood, that could be bad I guess....
Old 06-11-2008, 12:20 AM

picssssssssss
Old 06-11-2008, 12:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Okay, this is officially some fun stuff! We just got done building our Hydrogen Generator. And HOLY CRAP this thing pumps out some "gas" This thing is out of this world.

WARNING: DO NOT TRY TO INTRODUCE THE PRODUCED GAS TO AN OPEN FLAME. This stuff doesn't burn like you would think, it makes the sounds of a string of blackcats!

I have video of our creation in the kitchen, but not yet hooked up to a motor. You can see how robust this generation is. It's not one of those stale jars of water like you thought, this stuff looks like a rolling boil! Waiting for Google to process the video so I can post the link.

We created a 128oz........twice as big as I originally planned. And we used very small electrodes to minimize the creation of gas, but you can add a lot of these electrodes and make this thing pump oiut even more volumes.

When you light this stuff it is SCARY LOUD.

Originally Posted by bzzt
I bought 5 stainless steel light switch covers like I've seen on youtube videos but am still not getting the wild fizzing like theirs.
The plates are screwed together and have plastic spacers, with every other plate having a positive charge. The way this was done is when the positive screw passes thru a negative plate the hole in the plate has small piece of plastic tubing for insulation. Same for the negative screw passing thru a positive plate.
A teaspoon of salt and teaspoon of baking soda were added.
It did work, just not as well as I expected. Back to the drawing board.
We had massive success using Potassium Hydroxide in our water, and almost no reaction with plain water. Mix for potassium is 15grams per liter of water. You can get a jar about the size of a peanut butter jar for $13

Originally Posted by bamaarmyman19
Where the **** is the how 2?
You're right, let's just rush into this without getting proper time to test this and then evaluate results. And then we can tell you how to do it before knowing whether it actually works as well as we hope.

Last edited by Psykostevo; 06-11-2008 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 AM

that comment was to the other guy who has done his and hooked it up and told us how-to to be up 3 days ago
Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 AM

And here's a link to our test to make sure that the kit produces gas:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...60314350956295
Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 AM

check out hhoforums.com there are people there with finished and near finished setups! they are posting some real world numbers there and have reported good success with this
Old 06-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Great article -> LINK
Old 06-11-2008, 03:01 PM

http://www.mindstrain.com/

this guy has results as well as a video and a PDF (how to) for download on his site!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
Great article -> LINK
Tyler.. give it up

let the idoits be idiots. It doesnt matter what you say. They want to try it, spend their money, and fail (or have a placebo effect)

Basically, all this proves is that you and I are idiots for not producing and selling these kits eventhough we know they dont work. I have no problem taking money from the fool willing to throw it at me after i told him its junk.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by TVS_SS
Tyler.. give it up

let the idoits be idiots. It doesnt matter what you say. They want to try it, spend their money, and fail (or have a placebo effect)

Basically, all this proves is that you and I are idiots for not producing and selling these kits eventhough we know they dont work. I have no problem taking money from the fool willing to throw it at me after i told him its junk.
I know... but it's fun to watch them squirm...
Old 06-11-2008, 05:13 PM

http://www.mindstrain.com/

this guy has results as well as a video and a PDF (how to) for download on his site!
Man that guy talks a lot! It was like a college lecture! But I watched the whole thing.

Originally Posted by TVS_SS
Tyler.. give it up

Oh, you guys tried it before?

Last edited by Psykostevo; 06-11-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-11-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
What do I know.... I was only in the alternative energy field for how many years.... I even got to do the HHO study at work, and disproved it....

Hmmm... maybe I did.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:28 PM

Hmmm... maybe I did.
Well, if I just sat here and took your word for it then I wouldn't learn anything.

And people in the cigarette industry did studies to prove that cigarettes didn't cause cancer, so I'll take their word for it to.

It's funny. I can't say whether you are right or wrong yet, but I just have to try it for myself. You have to understand that. If people were talking about how to build your own rocketship to go into space I'd be building one of those too to see if it worked.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 PM

That's fine...
I'll be a tool... at least I'm not throwing away my cash...
might as well just ignore it....nobody will listen. I suggest you guys use it in conjunction with twin turbonators.

Well, if I just sat here and took your word for it then I wouldn't learn anything.

And people in the cigarette industry did studies to prove that cigarettes didn't cause cancer, so I'll take their word for it to.

It's funny. I can't say whether you are right or wrong yet, but I just have to try it for myself. You have to understand that. If people were talking about how to build your own rocketship to go into space I'd be building one of those too to see if it worked.
It doesn't matter if they tried it before. look at the facts. How much water are these people using? You aren't getting enough hydrogen to make much of a difference, if any, and you are getting half as much oxygen, which is LITERALLY going to either

A. make the car add MORE fuel
B. Make the car run leaner and leaner the more hydorgen you are getting.

depending on how you set up the system. You are not going to see benefits from this guys.

Last edited by cakeeater; 06-11-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
might as well just ignore it....nobody will listen. I suggest you guys use it in conjunction with twin turbonators.

It doesn't matter if they tried it before. look at the facts. How much water are these people using? You aren't getting enough hydrogen to make much of a difference, if any, and you are getting half as much oxygen, which is LITERALLY going to either

A. make the car add MORE fuel
B. Make the car run leaner and leaner the more hydorgen you are getting.

depending on how you set up the system. You are not going to see benefits from this guys.
It was cool making water into an explosive fuel yesterday though. There is some sort of potential here, I'm just not claiming anything either way until I have tried it on my car for a significant amount of time.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:36 PM

It was cool making water into an explosive fuel yesterday though. There is some sort of potential here, I'm just not claiming anything either way until I have tried it on my car for a significant amount of time.
Go for it dude, you know my piece, I happen to agree with Omega_5, TVS_SS, and cakeeater, but that shouldn't stop you. Doesn't look like it is either

Guys, you can't argue with a guy who wants to see for himself. It's not a waste of money to him, and he'll learn something either way. He'll come out the other side with something he didn't know before.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:51 PM

I will only reply to that with 2 words....

Government research
Old 06-11-2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Badju587
Go for it dude, you know my piece, I happen to agree with Omega_5, TVS_SS, and cakeeater, but that shouldn't stop you. Doesn't look like it is either

Guys, you can't argue with a guy who wants to see for himself. It's not a waste of money to him, and he'll learn something either way. He'll come out the other side with something he didn't know before.
Plus I'm doing it for the sake of the magazine I write for so they have been paying for everything upfront. I'm not spending money, I'm just playing Bill Nye when I do it.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:11 PM

As with many claims, they can be Proven/disproven through calculations and analysis before even making a single component to test

The problem here is that no advocate of this technology has the knowledge to do the calculation or so it seems..

Things like..

Air fuel ratio (mass/mass) what is it with HHO for a stochiometic burn?
Flame speeds (determines spark timing to get location of peak pressure at the desired angle) What affect would this have on peak cylinder pressures?
Octane or Anti-knock characteristics what is self ignition temperature?
volume- you can only fit so much gaseous fuel in a cylinder without displacing too much oxygen and eliminating the proper chemical reaction. What does this do to your AFR from the regular gasoline and air normally inducted?

Basically, once you start looking at it as a system.. there is alot to consider even beyond the basic chemical reaction.

would you believe me if i said EGR would give you better fuel economy than this HHO fuel?..

Quick Reply: So...building HHO (Hydrogen) Fuel Cell this weekend....