2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

squires turbo systems remote mount, update

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts
Adam i wanna see this beast as soon as i can... whick kinda sucks because i have to go to NC this weekend for fiance's little brothers birthday... but when i get back if you have i wanna see it, hear it, and feel it.. lol
Old 05-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
^ still costs more then the 200 trifecta tune which has proved to work just fine so far w/ 60# injector tuned
AEM FIC "works" so that doesn't mean anything. you still wont get the most you can out of it from tuning. I'm sure its good for a base tune though...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
Adam i wanna see this beast as soon as i can... whick kinda sucks because i have to go to NC this weekend for fiance's little brothers birthday... but when i get back if you have i wanna see it, hear it, and feel it.. lol
well you are just in luck.... i got some new info from DTP today.... Aparently they were expecting a ford lighting to come in today and it didnt show up so they went back to work on my car and i should be able to pick it up on thursday evening now... So ill be going into DTP tomorrow to snap some pics and spool up the turbo a bit and shoot some vids... probably will make my dyno pull thursday when i go to pick it up and do some tuning with vince on the phone and then do one more pull and call it a wrap for the dyno time.

Originally Posted by IonNinja
AEM FIC "works" so that doesn't mean anything. you still wont get the most you can out of it from tuning. I'm sure its good for a base tune though...
thats double the cost of the trifecta tune, i know i have mine still and trying to get rid of it... and trifecta has a 2.2 runing 8lbs boost on a turbo tune already in washington, its just not tuned for 60# injectors its tuned for 32#ers.... so vince didnt know if it would work or not.... it did the car idled fine and it drove fine if you drive it like an old person... couldnt get on it because it would have dumped too much fuel at WOT since its tuned for boost.... as far as im convined, there is nothing better then being able to tune the car.... also vince said that his trifecta tuning software that he uses is almsot identical to HPTuners, he just doesnt want to sell the software because he is making more money by selling tunes and re-tunes.... i also want to beg to differ about the AEM f/ic you do know that you can only retard the timing by 10 degrees w/ the AEM f/ic and for tuning it is recommended to retard the timing by 1 degree for every one lb of boost as per the AEM tuning tips that came with the AEM f/ic and since im running 10lbs and planning on 15lbs the AEM f/ic will not be enough for the retarding of the timing

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 05-06-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 PM

BTW u can get ur steering wheel controls bak, i have a pioneer aftermarket stereo and this and it works flawlessly

just an FYI

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...eel&i=127SWIPS
Old 05-06-2008, 02:27 PM

your going to be missing out on soo much power the way your going about tuning your car. AEM recommends not pulling more then 11 to 12 degrees of timing, not 8. and you don't need to pull timing for ever lb, you can start at 2-3psi and go from there. so that would give you about 15lbs of boost on the FIC. but didn't I warn you guys already that the FIC won't be worth it if your going for about 300hp or more? not to be a dick but I don't see you making 300hp on 10psi with the way your tuning. and you can't compare your engine to the hondas. completely different rev limits, compression ratios and displacement. now I am making a trip to vince personally with my car to be tuned for 17psi on my TD04 with 60's and a 7k redline. but it will be done all in person, completely dialed in. It takes a lot more then just 2 dyno pulls, a rework and poof your magically tuned. you need to allocate yourself with more time to dial it in. and if vince isn't going to release software you should combine it with a piggyback to at least control your own fuel. have him do all the timing with his reflash. that's what im cjonsidering and he's only a 6hr drive from me.

please don't take this the wrong way, you have done a lot to your car and its great. I just want to see it come out right as im sure you do too. don't make me disable your navy account jk! lol
Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 PM

i dont keep that much money in a bank account in electronic form. I keep it in cash in a safe deposit box at a bank.... hard to cut off cash green back flow, lol

I have made my choice and stop trying to convice me other wise.... just face it, i will not go piggy backing.... you can do that yourself

its called "street" tuning. 2 pulls isnt going to tune shizzz, i know that. But when the shop charged 85 per hour on the dyno plus 110 to put it on the dyno and then you take it off to make adjustments to springs on the valves and what not then they want to charge another 110 to put it on there again plus 85 per hour AGAIN.... sorry ill do 2 pulls and then street tune it with vince on the phone... and ill cut you off at the pass on how am i data logging.... PC Scan tool, i already own it, it works, give vince the numbers feed back via phone, he writes another tune, load it up on a SD card, put the card in the PDA, auto loads from the SD card to the PDA, plug it in, reflash, good to go. He said he is willing to keep street tuning this way as many times as it takes to get dead on for the tune. Vince has also said that when he was tuning the 2.2 he noticed that every peramiter that is available in every other GM car that went from N/A to boost was identical to the peramiters on the 2.2 computer and he had no doubts that he will be able to tune the car

if the computer wasnt able to be tuned to run the 60# injectors then the car wouldnt have even started in the first place, it would have flooded the car out.... thats what happend when i put them in when i first got them before i knew anything about tuning the ECM

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 05-06-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 PM

good, that sounds a lot smarter. You never mentioned street tuning. you just said you were making 2 dyno pulls and you were set. I know dyno pulls are expensive, everything costs money man. They need to make a living too. Im not trying to attack you, i just speak from experience and want to see your car boosted as much as you do.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
good, that sounds a lot smarter. You never mentioned street tuning. you just said you were making 2 dyno pulls and you were set. I know dyno pulls are expensive, everything costs money man. They need to make a living too. Im not trying to attack you, i just speak from experience and want to see your car boosted as much as you do.
its cool, i understand, had i not had the bad experiance with the AEM sending my car into limp mode i probably wouldnt be talking about trifecta tuning.... this just seams more logical to tune the car with Vince vice a piggy back system.... I'm pretty sure a lot of the tune is going to have to change because of when boost is going to be made do to the fact that the turbo is after the cat with a lot of the velocity gone so it will take a bit longer to spool and make boost.... im really thinking about doing the 02 trick so i can hollow out the cat and reduce a lot of the velocity loss
Old 05-06-2008, 04:22 PM

its cool, i understand, had i not had the bad experiance with the AEM sending my car into limp mode i probably wouldnt be talking about trifecta tuning.... this just seams more logical to tune the car with Vince vice a piggy back system.... I'm pretty sure a lot of the tune is going to have to change because of when boost is going to be made do to the fact that the turbo is after the cat with a lot of the velocity gone so it will take a bit longer to spool and make boost.... im really thinking about doing the 02 trick so i can hollow out the cat and reduce a lot of the velocity loss
Yeah, where you space the o2 sensor out away from the exhaust by using the spark plug gappers or whatever they are called. I have to do that too because im getting a o2 sensor CEL from the sensor after my cat.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
Yeah, where you space the o2 sensor out away from the exhaust by using the spark plug gappers or whatever they are called. I have to do that too because im getting a o2 sensor CEL from the sensor after my cat.
I was talking to a guy out here something about a resirter that sends a stock signal to the ecm so i can hollow out the cat
Old 05-07-2008, 04:06 PM

here are some updated pictures.... didnt get to take any video since they had it on the lift and had the oil system taken apart (they have to do some mroe fabricating for the oil system)

waste gate

badging

waste gate dump pipe routing to simulate dual exhaust

from behind

charge piping

intercooler part 1

intercooler part 2

blow off valve

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 05-07-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 05-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Banned

very nice work, like the dump pipe design.

hope all goes well with ur build. its coming to a finish!!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
very very nice, no go and make that tune work, remember, there are alot of us waiting to see your results
Old 05-07-2008, 05:06 PM

not getting into numbers in the thread. PM me if you want some numbers of this turbo on some honda engines running 9psi with the remote mount set up
If you think your going to be making the same power and a boosted honda you have some rethinking to do...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:18 PM

Sorry if I missed it somewhere but what are your power goals with this build? The reason I dont unterstand why you arent looking into a standalone is it just seems like a waist of $$$ to beef up the engine and valvetrain when your tune only seems to be good for 250-300whp. And are you planning on spraying also?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IonFeright
Sorry if I missed it somewhere but what are your power goals with this build? The reason I dont unterstand why you arent looking into a standalone is it just seems like a waist of $$$ to beef up the engine and valvetrain when your tune only seems to be good for 250-300whp. And are you planning on spraying also?
he tried the aem unit and had some issues.. he's getting an ecm tune from trifecta
Old 05-07-2008, 05:31 PM

thats awesome man..but with the amount of money ur spending on that...wouldnt it make sense to at least buy a half ass decent digital camera to keep track of all the work??? rather then a shitty cell phone...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
he tried the aem unit and had some issues.. he's getting an ecm tune from trifecta
iirc he tried the aem fic, not the standalone. big difference.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingg5
thats awesome man..but with the amount of money ur spending on that...wouldnt it make sense to at least buy a half ass decent digital camera to keep track of all the work??? rather then a shitty cell phone...
that was funny **** lol
im looking forward to these numbers
Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by kingg5
those were taking with a digital camera... not my own but never the less it is a digital camera... my digital camer is a 10 mega pixel w/ 15x zoom... had my roomate not been in a hurry i could have used my own digital camera but he didnt want to wait an hour for the battery to charge

Originally Posted by Rangerondubz
If you think your going to be making the same power and a boosted honda you have some rethinking to do...
your right, ill make more since i have a larger displacement motor... and i wasnt talking about conventional boost honda's running 18psi of boost.... im talking about the 3 honda's our here on their lil 1.8 engine running 9psi of boost from a squires turbo system, just like mine, making 320whp and yeah, not stand alone, a tuned ECM

stand alone is not cost efective.... standalone prcied out to atamept to keep the factory cluster was well over another 1.5k and to do all stand alone guages was well over 2k. sorry, not wasting money on that especially when everything about the factory ecm is tunable and my goal is only to get to 300whp anyway.... there is no planning on spraying, i already have sprayed before, a 2 stage 125hp nitrous system that was set up on a window WOT/RPM switch with multi gear lock out features

just stop trying to get me to go stand alone.... drop it, im not doing it, EVER... this is a daily driver not a race car

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 05-07-2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2008, 07:32 PM

stand alone is not cost efective.... standalone prcied out to atamept to keep the factory cluster was well over another 1.5k and to do all stand alone guages was well over 2k. sorry, not wasting money on that especially when everything about the factory ecm is tunable and my goal is only to get to 300whp anyway.... there is no planning on spraying, i already have sprayed before, a 2 stage 125hp nitrous system that was set up on a window WOT/RPM switch with multi gear lock out features

just stop trying to get me to go stand alone.... drop it, im not doing it, EVER... this is a daily driver not a race car
depends how you define cost effective....

If this is just a dd then why go all out with the build and head work? By going turboy you could easily surpass 300whp without head work and Im convinced that the 2.2 stock bottom end can hold 300whp with a good tune. Just seems to me like you will be wasting alot of $$$ by calling it quits at 300hp. But hey, more power to you. Its your car, your money, spend it how you will.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 PM

depends how you define cost effective....

If this is just a dd then why go all out with the build and head work? By going turboy you could easily surpass 300whp without head work and Im convinced that the 2.2 stock bottom end can hold 300whp with a good tune. Just seems to me like you will be wasting alot of $$$ by calling it quits at 300hp. But hey, more power to you. Its your car, your money, spend it how you will.
i dont want to press my luck on cast parts, forged parts will keep me from being afraid to get on it

i dont really need to go full stand alone... the ECM is fully tuneable and Vince proved that by getting it to be able to controll my 60# injectors
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Keep on moving forward. The only one you need to satisfy is yourself.
Next stop, tuning
Old 05-07-2008, 10:20 PM

your right, ill make more since i have a larger displacement motor... and i wasnt talking about conventional boost honda's running 18psi of boost.... im talking about the 3 honda's our here on their lil 1.8 engine running 9psi of boost from a squires turbo system, just like mine, making 320whp and yeah, not stand alone, a tuned ECM
Displacement isnt hardly the difference here, it's head flow. Hence why the 2.4's only make alittle over 250hp at around the same psi.

I rest my case as to not get the pro's in here and make you delete your thread b/c of your lack of knowledge.

kthnxbai
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 PM

amen brother.... lol

actually, they have a few more things to do yet.... actually a lot considering they are tyring to be done by friday...

finish fabricating the oiling system, install the boost gauge and boost controller, install the trany temp gauge, install the PCV system so that i dont blow boost back into the valve cover and hook up the air filter.... they are really trying hard so that i can start tuning by 2 or 3pm on friday and roll out by 5pm and go street tuning

Originally Posted by Rangerondubz
Displacement isnt hardly the difference here, it's head flow. Hence why the 2.4's only make alittle over 250hp at around the same psi.

I rest my case as to not get the pro's in here and make you delete your thread b/c of your lack of knowledge.

kthnxbai
there is plenty of head work on my engine, the valve duration stays open a lot longer then the stock valve train... im really not worried about it so why dont you just sit back watch, and if i fail then come bashing me.... why bash before hand because if it does end up working and it proves you all wrong and i am saying IF it does, it will be like making you open mouth and insert foot.... or make you say something gay like "its still a base balt", thats something that jelious haters say...

LIKE rod said "the only one i gotta please is me" and frankly, i am pleased

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 05-07-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: squires turbo systems remote mount, update