2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

squires turbo systems remote mount, update

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well... to keep my promise....

First, the Civic probably has VTEC, which means it has super retarded lift when it hits.
Next, the Civic has a great flowing head from factory.

These things you may have come equivalent to with your cams and head porting... so let's assume that in those aspects your now on a level playing field.

Where does the Civic continue to have an advantage?

It revs to nearly 9 grand, for starters.
Along with the single most part that you have over looked in every HP number you've posted... static compression.
The civic has at least a 10:1 compression in there... as compared to the 8.9 you swapped in.
Boost will have less of an 'amplifying affect' with respect to boost input on your lower compression engine. You will be able to handle running higher boost, but will make less power on the same amount of boost being ran.

This is the same for the 350Z (10.6:1), Civic Si (11:1), LS1 'vette, (10.1:1). These car just listed also have the advantage of having significant;y better designed heads, and way larger displacement.

Soooo.... if a guy on a stock compression engine is making 212HP on 8psi... you probably won't see to much higher, if at all higher.

Originally Posted by Rangerondubz
I just stopped trying
Too late... already did part 1 of operation turbo n00b

Last edited by Omega_5; 05-14-2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2008, 10:46 AM

yeah i did over look the compression thing.... this kind of posting actually helps me to understand better... everyone else just bashed, no help what so ever.... we'll see how it goes today when i go in to tune the car and dyno... if i dont make at least 280whp the next post you will see will be a piston swap to 11:1 and a crank swap so i can take the revs higher, my valve train is already good for 9k rpms, its the crank that blows nuts
Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
yeah i did over look the compression thing.... this kind of posting actually helps me to understand better... everyone else just bashed, no help what so ever.... we'll see how it goes today when i go in to tune the car and dyno... if i dont make at least 280whp the next post you will see will be a piston swap to 11:1 and a crank swap so i can take the revs higher, my valve train is already good for 9k rpms, its the crank that blows nuts
I'd suggest 10:1 (close to stock).
If you go too high, you run the risk of having to pull a lot of timing, and have increased cylinder temps.
You can take advantage of your lower compression pistons, though, but just running a higher amount of boost into the engine. I'm not sure what Trifeca's boost limitations are, but it's your easiest and cheapest way of using what you've got.

As far as teh reving... I'm pretty sure that we are limited to 8000k RPM for most Ectoecs (not sure on the 2.2's, other are limited by the stock ECU). I'd say that's far enough to go. With decent cams, 8k should be far enough... you just don't want to over extend the rev limit, and not be making any power up top.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:57 AM

so far trifecta has only tuned for 10psi of boost and working. so that is the tune we are using on my car for now and we are going to fine tune it for my application.... once my new cv axels come in ill be upping the boost to 15psi as i had already planned on before hand
Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 AM

At 15psi you should see some not to bad numbers... I'm skeptical of 300hp though.

You'll have to play with the boost, AFR, and timing on the dyno to find the sweet spot as far as what makes the most power, while still being safe.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:10 AM

How is your transmission looking? What are your plans on that? I hear that it can only hold 230 safely.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
15 psi you MIGHT make 270 might.. celicacobalt is hoping to make 300 on 15 psi ... however he might've hit it already considering he has a big boost leak.. but i dont think you'll hit 300 you need 10:1 or maybe 10.5:1 to bump it up a bit over stock
Old 05-15-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cougar
How is your transmission looking? What are your plans on that? I hear that it can only hold 230 safely.
I dont know where you got your info from, the automatic is what i have

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
Chevy Cobalts come with two different transmissions depending on your model. Here is some info.

Here is the GM transmission guide.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.php?page=trans_guide

2.2L/2.4L Automatic

Hydra-Matic 4T40E/4T45E

Type: four-speed front-wheel-drive, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transaxle with electronically controlled torque converter clutch.

Engine Range: 2.2L-3.5L
Max Gearbox Torque: 325 lb.-ft.

Weight: 188 lbs.

Assembly Site: Windsor, Ontario

Applications: Chevrolet: Cobalt, Malibu, Pontiac: G5, G6, Saturn Vue 4-Cylinder.
With a max TQ rating of 325 lb/ft, it doesn't seem to be the weak link..

2.2L/2.4L Manual

Getrag F23

Type: transverse front wheel drive, five-speed manual transaxle.

Engine Range: 2.2L-2.4L
Max Gearbox Torque: 170 lb.-ft.

Weight: 102 lbs.

Applications: Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR; Pontiac G5

2.0L Supercharged

GM Europe F35

Type: transverse front wheel drive, five speed manual transaxle.

Engine Range: 2.0L
Max Gearbox Torque: 258 lb.-ft.

Weight: 99 lbs.

Applications: Chevrolet Cobalt SS

Originally Posted by elecblue06
15 psi you MIGHT make 270 might.. celicacobalt is hoping to make 300 on 15 psi ... however he might've hit it already considering he has a big boost leak.. but i dont think you'll hit 300 you need 10:1 or maybe 10.5:1 to bump it up a bit over stock
celicacobalt has a smaller turbo then i do. 06Blackg85 has the exact same turbo as i have on my car and is making 411whp on 21psi, im going to go ahead and guess somewhere around 320 to 330 is what i should be on 15psi, and 270 is what i should be around on 10psi

I dyno'd at 151 before i reduced my engine compression, after i reduced my engine compression i dyno'd at 142whp wasnt that big of a drop but i did notice the drop in hp when i ran the 1/4 before and after, ran 3tenths slower

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 05-15-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 AM

then maybe they can explain why a 350z yield 440whp on 7psi remote mount turbo? or why a civic Si yeild 314whp on 7psi remote mount turbo? or why a base vett yield 536whp on 7psi remote mount turbo? hell even a v6 stang yield over 400whp on 7psi remote mount turbo

even if i do manage to hit 300whp and i posted video they would still call the video a fake or something to that effect. its just not worth putting forth the effort.
BUwhahah, lets deal with just the 350z for starters.... if we take all the factors of larger displacement, rev ability, cam profiles, valve size,ect and toss them out the window, your left with just the basics. AIRFLOW

if you think, in ANY way, shape, or form that any eco head you have will net the flow of a STOCK VQ35 head your dumber then i previously thought.

the si has been covered, so we'll move on. Once again the same basics apply for the vette. the turbo, and engine are moving **** tons more air then your car can ever hope for, thus the massive power difference you WILL see when this disaster hits the road.

think im going to delete the thread again and never post about the remote mount results or anything
PLEASE do that....

take this idea with you and go away.....

an STS system could be brutally efficient on this car, in a matter of words, however your bastardization of it has turned its possibilities into large, power sucking flaws.

for the people who want to do this style of a turbo system, the correct way, and make more power then this tool will at the same boost level....let me know.

however, if you manage to make 300whp at say 18psi or so, yey! however it'll still be a base model with a rattle can'd body kit and the wrong trans.

i've tired to help in the past, you wanted to be hard headed. now i'll go away and just wait for the first dyno pull to be massively disappointing.

btw- fixed some of your spelling errors.

I dont know where you got your info from, the automatic is what i have

celicacobalt has a smaller turbo then i do. 06Blackg85 has the exact same turbo as i have on my car and is making 411whp on 21psi, im going to go ahead and guess somewhere around 320 to 330 is what i should be on 15psi, and 270 is what i should be around on 10psi

I dyno'd at 151 before i reduced my engine compression, after i reduced my engine compression i dyno'd at 142whp wasnt that big of a drop but i did notice the drop in hp when i ran the 1/4 before and after, ran 3tenths slower
quite being ignorant here, if you think that pauls turbo is going to act remotely the same on your car, with this set up, your mistaken....by a huge margin.

Last edited by 06black; 05-15-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-15-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 06black
BUwhahah, lets deal with just the 350z for starters.... if we take all the factors of larger displacement, rev ability, cam profiles, valve size,ect and toss them out the window, your left with just the basics. AIRFLOW

if you think, in ANY way, shape, or form that any eco head you have will net the flow of a STOCK VQ35 head your dumber then i previously thought.

the si has been covered, so we'll move on. Once again the same basics apply for the vette. the turbo, and engine are moving **** tons more air then your car can ever hope for, thus the massive power difference you WILL see when this disaster hits the road.

PLEASE do that....

take this idea with you and go away.....

an STS system could be brutally efficient on this car, in a matter of words, however your bastardization of it has turned its possibilities into large, power sucking flaws.

for the people who want to do this style of a turbo system, the correct way, and make more power then this tool will at the same boost level....let me know.

however, if you manage to make 300whp at say 18psi or so, yey! however it'll still be a base model with a rattle can'd body kit and the wrong trans.

i've tired to help in the past, you wanted to be hard headed. now i'll go away and just wait for the first dyno pull to be massively disappointing.

btw- fixed some of your spelling errors.

quite being ignorant here, if you think that pauls turbo is going to act remotely the same on your car, with this set up, your mistaken....by a huge margin.
these points have already been discused. this was a pointless post and was not constructive... reported for not being a constructive post, thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
I'd suggest 10:1 (close to stock).
If you go too high, you run the risk of having to pull a lot of timing, and have increased cylinder temps.
You can take advantage of your lower compression pistons, though, but just running a higher amount of boost into the engine. I'm not sure what Trifeca's boost limitations are, but it's your easiest and cheapest way of using what you've got.

As far as teh reving... I'm pretty sure that we are limited to 8000k RPM for most Ectoecs (not sure on the 2.2's, other are limited by the stock ECU). I'd say that's far enough to go. With decent cams, 8k should be far enough... you just don't want to over extend the rev limit, and not be making any power up top.
There isnt a limit on boost, its being tuned using MAF just like the LSJ. It all comes down to how much air the MAF can handle. Im nervous because i dont want to hit the MAF's wall and be SOL.

Also, about me making 212whp on 8psi, thats a much smaller turbo then his, i gotta say. My turbo is a TD04H-19(largest of the TD04's). It will flow about 480cfm MAX. With my engine(7k redline) and altitude thats about 17psi on it and ill be lucky to make 280whp.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:43 AM

i have a t-60-1 hifi with ceramic ball bearings... not sure what the CFM's are on it but its max HP out put is 530 crank horse power @ 30psi
Old 05-15-2008, 10:46 AM

i have a t-60-1 hifi with ceramic ball bearings... not sure what the CFM's are on it but its max HP out put is 530 crank horse power @ 30psi
ok man i'm gonna have to go against you now..

ok so you have no idea the CFM but you think it'll hit 530 at 30 psi?

hell no not on your setup.. the c-1 procharger pushes 1000CFM max.. and on their site says if can produce 625 hp at 24psi.. but chevytech wasn't seeing anywhere near there on 23 psi....
Old 05-15-2008, 10:52 AM

A 60 trim has 400 cfm at 14.7 psi im pretty sure thats right
Old 05-15-2008, 10:56 AM

hell no not on your setup.. the c-1 procharger pushes 1000CFM max.. and on their site says if can produce 625 hp at 24psi.. but chevytech wasn't seeing anywhere near there on 23 psi....
that is not the "guess"... that is the actual rating of the turbo directly from percision turbo, they rated the turbo's max output of 530chp @ 30psi, i didnt pull that number out of my ass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE 60 SERIES! Turbochargers
Compressor Maps
Compressor Wheels/Housings
Ceramic Ball Bearing Option
Backplates
Bearing Housings
Turbine Housings

The 60-1 Performance Turbocharger
Representing the careful marriage of a unique high flow/high efficiency compressor section teamed up with a T4 turbine section the 60-1 has proven itself in every competitive motorsport application from drag racing to Bonneville. Available with either the standard (4” inlet, 2.5” discharge) compressor housing or the 60-1 Hi-Fi ( 2 3/4” inlet, 2” discharge) compressor housing, the 60-1 will outflow any standard T04B with ease! (The 60-1 Hi-Fi will deliver approximately 90-95% of the flow capacity of the standard 60-1.)

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 05-15-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-15-2008, 10:56 AM

I was looking at that turbo, but id have to do some serious modding to fit it behind my engine and i just want 350whp so a EvoIII 16g will cut it for me.

You can make some serious power with that turbo, just not on that low of boost. just go at it like the rest of us. Dont say "im gonna make this", say "im going for XXXwhp, but we are tuning at 10psi first to see where im at. Then everyone will be behind you hoping for good numbers.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:57 AM

here is the link http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/t60.html ill keep looking for the percision site
Old 05-15-2008, 10:58 AM

here is the link http://www.turbocharged.com/catalog/t60.html ill keep looking for the percision site
tahts all well and dandy.. jsut because it's capable of making that much hp doesn't mean you're going to get anywhere need it is my point...

especially seeing as i'm not seeing that you did any head work.. your head will not flow nearly enough to efficiently max out that turbo
Old 05-15-2008, 10:58 AM

hold on there blue. he is correct. Basically they are taking the compressor map, and saying it can boost a max of 30psi(which as we all know is not the same on every engine) and can flow enough lb/min or cfm for 530hp. That doesnt mean at 30psi its gonna make 530bhp on every engine, its just capable of that high of a pressure ratio.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
I was looking at that turbo, but id have to do some serious modding to fit it behind my engine and i just want 350whp so a EvoIII 16g will cut it for me.

You can make some serious power with that turbo, just not on that low of boost. just go at it like the rest of us. Dont say "im gonna make this", say "im going for XXXwhp, but we are tuning at 10psi first to see where im at. Then everyone will be behind you hoping for good numbers.
im just waiting for my CV axels to come in, the motor is already built to handle 25psi... i just dont want that much boost due to the fact that high boost lvls degrade the motors longevity and i dont want to keep rebuilding the motor all the time.... I might run that boost on the dyno once or twice just to have bragging rights, but thats about it
Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 AM

yeah thats something im worrying about too. But damn are those things a bit spendy. I'll be picking up the StgII 400hp axles when i get the EvoIII 16g.

Also Adam(if you dont mind me sayin that), dont delete this thread ever. Because its got a LOT of information in it that future turbo guys can read. All of us have posted some great information for the next guys. If your gonna do anything, just lock it.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 AM

tahts all well and dandy.. jsut because it's capable of making that much hp doesn't mean you're going to get anywhere need it is my point...

especially seeing as i'm not seeing that you did any head work.. your head will not flow nearly enough to efficiently max out that turbo
no head work.... lol the sig can only be so big man... i have a 3 angle valve job on the head, Cams that have higher lift keeping the valves open longer letting more air in, the intake side is ported, and the exhaust side is ported and polished

found the percision web site http://www.precisionturbo.net

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 05-15-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-15-2008, 11:22 AM

yeah thats something im worrying about too. But damn are those things a bit spendy. I'll be picking up the StgII 400hp axles when i get the EvoIII 16g.

Also Adam(if you dont mind me sayin that), dont delete this thread ever. Because its got a LOT of information in it that future turbo guys can read. All of us have posted some great information for the next guys. If your gonna do anything, just lock it.
where are you guys getting axles from? didn't know anyone made them (didn't see them on Driveshafts website)
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
where are you guys getting axles from? didn't know anyone made them (didn't see them on Driveshafts website)
I know of a couple vendors here on the site that have them for sale. They go for $799 i believe.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 AM

I know of a couple vendors here on the site that have them for sale. They go for $799 i believe.
yea .. t he driveshaft shop has them for 799 the 2.4 at least.. they're in holding

Quick Reply: squires turbo systems remote mount, update