2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

stand alone's

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stand alone's

is anyone out there running a stand alone on the 2.2? if so what have you got, what other mods are you running, and what kind of power gains did you see after dropping the stock ecu?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:09 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKLS
is anyone out there running a stand alone on the 2.2? if so what have you got, what other mods are you running, and what kind of power gains did you see after dropping the stock ecu?
The trouble with using a stand alone, besides cost, is the ability to retain the stock functionality of your cars creature comforts, p/w, p/l, stereo, AC etc, etc.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
The trouble with using a stand alone, besides cost, is the ability to retain the stock functionality of your cars creature comforts, p/w, p/l, stereo, AC etc, etc.
Exactly.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:36 PM

so asuming from that state ment these cars are can network'ed arn't they
Old 07-27-2007, 09:38 PM

well what about an ls with manual windows and locks.

Could we use say... the AEM EMS?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by exiged
well what about an ls with manual windows and locks.

Could we use say... the AEM EMS?
I was under the impression that it ran off a motor and not the computer...
Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 PM

i actually have no idea, i was just looking at it on there website.

actually heres a copy and paste off there page:

AEM's Plug & Play Engine Management System (EMS) plugs directly into a vehicle's factory ECU harness and requires no additional wiring or hardware. Windows™ compatible software (2000, XP, NT, 98, 95, ME) makes the task of copying, viewing and manipulating data as simple as a click of the mouse. An integrated tuning wizard allows users to create a base map specifically for a car’s configuration, regardless of what type of injectors, sensors, coils or other changes have been made. The AEM EMS's infinitely adjustable software allows tuners to program virtually any combination of engine control, power adders and auxiliary devices, and accurately delivers proper amounts of fuel and correct ignition timing for any boost level or operating condition.

Soooo..... maybe this could help with boosting a 2.2?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:48 PM

the only standalone I am familiar with being run on the Ecotec is Megasquirt.

you can set it up so that it controls only your fuel injectors and let your stock ECM handle ignition or you can switch to a diff ignition setup and have full control over timing and fuel...this way will allow the stock ECM to control all the other factory settings as normal.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:55 PM

really i thought i heard somewhere sometime megasquirt didn't work on a cobalt.
What i really want to know is can these maybe help with boosting my ls???? lol.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:58 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

If someone is serious about going stand alone, they can re-wire all the creature comforts, to run independant of the pcm/bcm's, but that add's to the overall cost.
This is the route we are taking with my car but with everything stripped out anyways, I am already halfway there.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:37 PM

hmmmmm.....i need to get a manule, and a wiring diagram...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:09 PM

jesus guys

standalones are universal.

you can make the megasquirt work, and the aem....etc

you leave the stock computer to do the a/c and such, the standalone only controls the fuel and spark
Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by elvisc
jesus guys

you leave the stock computer to do the a/c and such, the standalone only controls the fuel and spark
Old 07-28-2007, 12:31 AM

I would speak with Elvis if you need help boosting with standalone tuning...he is in the process of setting up megasquirt on his fully built motort.

btw with standalones there is no specific applications, just certain cars have wiring harnesses available for them. so if you're going standalone you've got quite a bit of wiring to do. trust me if you check the docs on megasquirt, there is a lotta **** you have to take in.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:34 AM

jesus guys

You are correct but I was under the assumption he wanted to use a full standalone replacement, hence why he said "dropping the stock ecu".
Old 07-28-2007, 09:53 AM

DERRRRRRRR
yea i am right. To run a standalone all you need to control is the spark and fuel.

Fuel injectors plugs straight into the standalone and the ignition could either be ran by the stock Crank position sensor (which won't work on the 0x-04) or you could mock up a crank wheel, which is picked up by a VR sensor, then sent to a module (like the EDIS-4) then a signal is sent to the standalone and then the standalone sends back what degree of spark for thet position of crank to do.

Yes there ARE plug and pray standalones but they all work the same way, just some have more features...etc

And for boost you should ALWAYS use Speed Density. (MAP vs RPM)

TPS, CLT, IAT are used for enrichments (Accell enrichments, warm-up, crank...etc)

Fuel is tuned first by the VE tables with no corrections then you enable EGO (o2 sensor) feedback to do corrections (>70% throttle or whatever you set it to)
Old 07-28-2007, 01:20 PM

Why not run a piggy back system?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by FastPace Motorsports
Why not run a piggy back system?
because what you're essentially doing is tricking the car it's in a different field of it's VE table to shoot as much fuel as you want.

for N/A piggybacks are great, but for boosted cars i would use a standalone.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:26 PM

sooo.... if essentially these are universall then why has nobody mentioned or thought of using one to boost a 2.2??
Old 07-28-2007, 03:31 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

sooo.... if essentially these are universall then why has nobody mentioned or thought of using one to boost a 2.2??
Now, isn't that a great question???
I checked into the stand alones for my project and the same result kept coming back, trouble retaining stock functions not related to fuel management.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:37 PM

Do you know exactly what stock functions you lose? i'm assuming anything controlled by the computer right?

Ive got pretty much as base you can get of a 2.2, manual everything, with an aftermarket stereo. The only thing i could think of off the top of my head that i may lose, would be the DIC, but still, thats mostly mileage and such, and i always leave it on coolant temp ...its just something like to watch...

well now that i think about it maybe a/c too... but yea what standalones did you look into?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:44 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Do you know exactly what stock functions you lose? i'm assuming anything controlled by the computer right?

Ive got pretty much as base you can get of a 2.2, manual everything, with an aftermarket stereo. The only thing i could think of off the top of my head that i may lose, would be the DIC, but still, thats mostly mileage and such, and i always leave it on coolant temp ...its just something like to watch...

well now that i think about it maybe a/c too... but yea what standalones did you look into?
Fast, MSD, AEM and Bigstuff3. The companies all told me the same thing, except BigStuff. to kiss my stock functions goodbye.
The BCM controls most of the electrical components but the PCM controls the BCM.
The Bigstuff will work but it is piggybacked in so as to only control the fuel management.
Unless the tech's at the companies don't know their products, they told me their products wouldn't allow what I wanted.
The alternative is to have everything re-wired so that everything besides fuel management, is run independantly of the stock computers. This is the option we have chosen to use.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Fast, MSD, AEM and Bigstuff3. The companies all told me the same thing, except BigStuff. to kiss my stock functions goodbye.
The BCM controls most of the electrical components but the PCM controls the BCM.
The Bigstuff will work but it is piggybacked in so as to only control the fuel management.
Unless the tech's at the companies don't know their products, they told me their products wouldn't allow what I wanted.
The alternative is to have everything re-wired so that everything besides fuel management, is run independantly of the stock computers. This is the option we have chosen to use.
lol what!?

the stock computer wont be controlling the fuel injectors + spark, it doesn't have to do with anything else.

nothing is piggybacked, it runs your engine on its own. Your stock computer will handle a/c and all of that jazz.

Now, isn't that a great question???
I checked into the stand alones for my project and the same result kept coming back, trouble retaining stock functions not related to fuel management.
im using a standalone for my 2.2 eco

Megasquirt w/ 42# injectors (high imp), and then i'll be implementing the Ford EDIS-4 for spark.

Last edited by elvisc; 07-28-2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2007, 04:02 PM

Fuel injectors plugs straight into the standalone and the ignition could either be ran by the stock Crank position sensor (which won't work on the 0x-04) or you could mock up a crank wheel, which is picked up by a VR sensor, then sent to a module (like the EDIS-4) then a signal is sent to the standalone and then the standalone sends back what degree of spark for thet position of crank to do.

are you saying we don't have a crank sensor? i haven't looked....

Originally Posted by NJHK
You are correct but I was under the assumption he wanted to use a full standalone replacement, hence why he said "dropping the stock ecu".
originaly yes but ti sounds like that wouldn't work. what if i wanted to make up a harness that went in line with the factroy ecm harness but took all the ignition and fuel controls to say a aem box and left all other functions run back to the stock ecm that wouldn't work?
Old 07-28-2007, 04:03 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

lol what!?

the stock computer wont be controlling the fuel injectors + spark, it doesn't have to do with anything else.

nothing is piggybacked, it runs your engine on its own. Your stock computer will handle a/c and all of that jazz.

im using a standalone for my 2.2 eco

Megasquirt w/ 42# injectors (high imp), and then i'll be implementing the Ford EDIS-4 for spark.
You really need to set those tech's straight because they obviously didn't want my business bad enough to know how their products work.

Quick Reply: stand alone's