2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Stock Resonater Removed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Stock Resonater Removed!!!

I was looking for a little more sound after my magnaflow install, so i thought removal of the stock resonator would bring more sound, but i was wrong. Sound exactly the same, maybe like 2-3% louder, i cant even tell that its gone. I think i might just run straight pipe with no muffler and then to a tip, because right now its straight pipe to the muffler, and even that isnt that loud. I dunno whats the deal, cause if you did that to a honda/acura itd be loud as f*ck. Although, the only noticeable difference is it pops a lot more of deceleration, but thats it. Anyone else done something like me ? I'm not really satisfied as mine still sounds a smidge louder than stock. discuss....
Old 02-16-2006, 07:58 PM

I used to have a '98 Explorer and alot of guys over at ExplorerForums.com tried taking their resonators off. They all reported the same results... no change. (Well, a tiny, tiny bit, but other than that nothing.) Bummer, eh?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by dnbguy86
I was looking for a little more sound after my magnaflow install, so i thought removal of the stock resonator would bring more sound, but i was wrong. Sound exactly the same, maybe like 2-3% louder, i cant even tell that its gone. I think i might just run straight pipe with no muffler and then to a tip, because right now its straight pipe to the muffler, and even that isnt that loud. I dunno whats the deal, cause if you did that to a honda/acura itd be loud as f*ck. Although, the only noticeable difference is it pops a lot more of deceleration, but thats it. Anyone else done something like me ? I'm not really satisfied as mine still sounds a smidge louder than stock. discuss....
I have a 2005 cobalt (base haha ) and just a couple of weeks ago i got a pulled over for the exaust being too loud. The limit is 80 desimals and mine registered at 126 so if that isn't loud I don't know what is. Oh and I'm running straight pipe and muffler too.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My brother has a 2.25" exhaust on his 2.2 base. No resonator and an ebay oval styled muffler. That thing is way louder than my 2.5" magnaflow exhaust with resonator.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ssritz
I have a 2005 cobalt (base haha ) and just a couple of weeks ago i got a pulled over for the exaust being too loud. The limit is 80 desimals and mine registered at 126 so if that isn't loud I don't know what is. Oh and I'm running straight pipe and muffler too.
Wow, that is really loud. Does it get annoying?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:35 PM

why in the hell would you want it louder anyway?

that is going to sound so nasty with straight pipe...have fun with that. You'll sound just like a Honda...
Old 02-17-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
why in the hell would you want it louder anyway?

that is going to sound so nasty with straight pipe...have fun with that. You'll sound just like a Honda...

Excuse me mr. ******* know it all. It sounds damn good, kinda like the srt4, but with less pops. And by straight pipe, its got the stock pipe on it, but its just straight through until the muffler at the rear of the car, has a very nice tone to it. But hey, i guess im not entilted to my own opinion of what it sounds like, because obviously, it sounds like a Honda right ?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:13 PM

Excuse me mr. ******* know it all. It sounds damn good, kinda like the srt4, but with less pops. And by straight pipe, its got the stock pipe on it, but its just straight through until the muffler at the rear of the car, has a very nice tone to it. But hey, i guess im not entilted to my own opinion of what it sounds like, because obviously, it sounds like a Honda right ?
LOL

i happen to love loud exhaust, the louder the better
Old 02-17-2006, 09:16 PM

I don't know everything...but I do know that setup probably sounds like ass.

I have run one muffler before and it is definitely raspy, yes just like a Honda so I am speaking from experience...I've even ran straight pipe before and it just sounds terrible, period.

but if thats what you like...
Old 02-18-2006, 12:57 AM

I have run one muffler before and it is definitely raspy, yes just like a Honda so I am speaking from experience...I've even ran straight pipe before and it just sounds terrible, period.

Well, unfornately i dont have a video camera or any kinda recording device that i can upload my car's exhaust from, but believe me, its not bad as you think or whatever bad experiences you've had in the past. This is no honda/acura motor by any means, nor does it sound like one, no pun intended as i used to own a honda. Maybe one day soon i can figure something out to post it up, you'd be surprised...
Old 02-18-2006, 01:13 AM

A resonator is not used to make the exhaust quieter, thats the mufflers job. The resonator is used to cancel out certain tones like popping and some of the raspyness. Its hard to explain how it works but all it is is a chamber around the pipe that reflects the sound back and it cancels sounds out to get a smoother tone that sounds better. There is no power gain by removing the resonator and no louder sounds just unwanted ones.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:23 AM

Very true...LOUD = Rice
just remember its
But hey I am not tring to knock you.
To each is own
Old 02-18-2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by BlkSS4dr
Very true...LOUD = Rice
just remember its
But hey I am not tring to knock you.
To each is own

Damn, i know ya'll think it sounds like rice or honda goodness, but in actualality it doesnt. I mean yes, it is a 4 cylinder and it does have a small bit of that sound ya'll dont like, but i just can't explain how much better it sounds than ya'll think it does. Im trying to get a vid up, so yall can see im not bs'ing.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:34 AM

Hey everyone, regarding the exhuast stuff, I have a video up in the Cobalt videos section, the Orange one! And anyways I took my muffler off and it sounds great, there was a slight improvement in acceleration I noticed to and well it sounds better then if I had a muffler. Frankly I look at those big cans on cars and I just have to wonder why? but what I did was illegal here so check ur laws before you do! If you do something to your car, you make it unique and different which is cool cause like Civics which are everywhere nowa days its good to be unique.. JUST DON'T DO RICE! please don't pretend your car is something its not!!! like a Ferrari,lol or Coby S/C!!
Old 02-18-2006, 12:28 PM

Yeah the srt4's sound bad ass stock and they don't have any mufflers. However, all of the aftermarket exhausts (except the mopar one) sound like crap. They sound like 18 wheelers. And they are so freaking loud. But the stock exhaust on the srt4 is music to my ears.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:48 PM

Just recently look at the new cobaltaddiction site, and i might just order me a complete whole new exhaust. Thats a very nice site...
Old 02-18-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by memphisr24
Yeah the srt4's sound bad ass stock and they don't have any mufflers. However, all of the aftermarket exhausts (except the mopar one) sound like crap. They sound like 18 wheelers. And they are so freaking loud. But the stock exhaust on the srt4 is music to my ears.
yes but those cars are also turbocharged which kills the exhaust note quite a bit...had we try the same things on our car.... that is gonna be louder than ****.

I'm not all about sounding loud, especially when moving slow Gotta get some mods under the belt first...
Old 02-18-2006, 06:44 PM

Thumbs up

If you want to sound like a stage 2 SRT-4 with no CAT get a 3" catback no resonator (i liked it for a lil bit) now im gettign a 2.5 inch magnaflow