2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

straight to the point

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Get low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
straight to the point

OK just please read this and help, i searched and havent found the answer...

I have a whole new header back exhaust with a new cat in it too... my o2 sensor has been throwing a check engine light ever since because its running lean.... I have a 2.2 so HP tuners isnt out... i bought an o2 simulator and it didnt fit..... im scared that i wont be able to fix it before emitions because here if you have a checkj engine light you fail.... if you unplug the battery to reset the ecu you fail,... tthey can telll.... what should i do... will turning the o2 sensor off with hp tuners show something when they plug into my diagnostics port at the emissions place?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Get low

btw i had the WeaponR cel eliminator... there was no room to put it in... it was huge... i see these things on ebay called MIL eliminators it looks like alittle resistor your splice into the o2 sensor... kinda makes sence DO THESE WORK?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:05 PM

First off i am so glad that OHIO does not have emissions rules.

Secondly i have no idea so sorry man but i would suggest that you not buy that resistor thing from ebay those things are a joke.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:47 PM

If the 2.2L is tunable at all. Take it to someone to have them work on it.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, don't panic. You only have to have your car's emissions tested in Illinois if the car is over 5 years old. So you have some time.

Second, stop trying to fool your O2 sensor input. Your car needs it, so use it. Trying to use a fake out will definitely get you caught when the time comes. Stop believing the bull **** about disconnecting your battery, because that is in fact just bull ****.

Have you actually had your ECM scanned following your CEL and did it actually say the code was too lean? IF SO, AND ONLY IF SO...

Where is the O2 sensor located relative to your new cat? Are you still using the stock O2 sensor in the aftermarket exhaust components? Did you damage the sensor when you swapped it over to the new parts?

What I'm saying is, make very sure you in fact have a legitimate lean issue. Then you can start to fix it. Stop putting band-aids on it.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
First of all, don't panic. You only have to have your car's emissions tested in Illinois if the car is over 5 years old. So you have some time.

Second, stop trying to fool your O2 sensor input. Your car needs it, so use it. Trying to use a fake out will definitely get you caught when the time comes. Stop believing the bull **** about disconnecting your battery, because that is in fact just bull ****.

Have you actually had your ECM scanned following your CEL and did it actually say the code was too lean? IF SO, AND ONLY IF SO...

Where is the O2 sensor located relative to your new cat? Are you still using the stock O2 sensor in the aftermarket exhaust components? Did you damage the sensor when you swapped it over to the new parts?

What I'm saying is, make very sure you in fact have a legitimate lean issue. Then you can start to fix it. Stop putting band-aids on it.
Here, here. Even if you have to pay to have it fixed.

Sorry I guess since I have access to the stuff to fix problems...over looked it. My bad.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Get low

its a lean code... ill g2 autozone again to doubble check.... the new cat is under the car rather than by the firewall.... the o2 sensor is inthe cat like normal cars...shouldnt have damaged the o2 sensor cuz it worked for like a month after the echaust was done but yes it is stock o2 sensor in the new exhaust.... i have had it scanned and it gave a lean code... the thing about the battery is my check engine light will stay off for a bit if i reset the ecu..... at my emissions place i got a card and their scanners can tell if the ecu has been reset because it will show the car hasnt performed the standard tests it does while your driving.... if you havnt had your tests all performed when you come to do it is says you fail... right here on the card... it says not to get your car serviced within 3 days of the test for that reason.... is that rlly BS? because its right on back of the thing they mail me
Old 07-12-2006, 04:45 PM

how bout u put ur stock exhaust back on for the emmissions then put your aftermarkert back on after you pass. just drive with it for "3 days" if you have too.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:30 PM

It sounds like a hassle. I would go to another place besides autozone bc i went there and then went somewhere and paid to have it scanned and it was differant. I dont know but i have not had good luck with the FREE diagnostics. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-12-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by jtohio4002
It sounds like a hassle. I would go to another place besides autozone bc i went there and then went somewhere and paid to have it scanned and it was differant. I dont know but i have not had good luck with the FREE diagnostics. Just my 2 cents
Because it is just a universal code scanner. Just gets you in the general area of the problem.

Don't forget...we're on the CAN system now. So yeah the OBDII is a universal. If you REALLY want to know what is wrong...take it to Chevrolet or a friend who is a auto technican with a good scan tool.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:31 PM

OR, u can go to a local auto shop like at a gas station give the guy 50 bucks and he will run another car for you

when i had my mustang with true dual exhausts...no cats...only a 40 series flowmaster muffler i paid some guy to run a focus or something lol

btw im in NY...if it can be done in NY with this **** ass regulations it can be done anywhere
Old 07-12-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm old school

What card are you talking about? You shouldn't be getting any notices to be emissions tested for like another 3 years.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Get low

What card are you talking about? You shouldn't be getting any notices to be emissions tested for like another 3 years.
just took the durango R/T in and read the card
Old 07-13-2006, 12:43 AM

Hey I work at an AutoZone and its true the code scanners we use are pretty much garbage. Hard to bitch about free for most cases though. Anyway, do you know exactly what code was pulled up? Like a P0153??? (some random number) or somthing like that. Usually if it says its too lean either the sensor is acutally bad or in the new exhaust the senser doesn't sit deep enough down in it to have all the gases pass over it that it should.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm old school

OK, so you had to emmisions test a different car. Gotcha.

Your problem is more then likely the result of the stock O2 sensor being mounted in the aftermarket catalytic converter. Its hard to say whether the sensor is getting too much oxygen or not enough. Lean would normally mean too much oxygen, but the Cobalts ECM might be looking for a specific amount on the rich side of stochiometric (sp?), and since I didn't design the thing, I don't know for sure.

Best advice I can give is take it to a tech. Second best advice I can give is take a look at where the O2 bung was on the stock exhaust, and then try to mount the O2 sensor in as close the exact same spot on the new exhaust. If the bung was before the cat on stock, put it before the cat on the new system, and so forth.

Last edited by Halfcent; 07-13-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Get low

OK, so you had to emmisions test a different car. Gotcha.

Your problem is more then likely the result of the stock O2 sensor being mounted in the aftermarket catalytic converter. Its hard to say whether the sensor is getting too much oxygen or not enough. Lean would normally mean too much oxygen, but the Cobalts ECM might be looking for a specific amount on the rich side of stochiometric (sp?), and since I didn't design the thing, I don't know for sure.

Best advice I can give is take it to a tech. Second best advice I can give is take a look at where the O2 bung was on the stock exhaust, and then try to mount the O2 sensor in as close the exact same spot on the new exhaust. If the bung was before the cat on stock, put it before the cat on the new system, and so forth.
im ganna sit pretty for a year and hope HP tuners will help... if not idk ill frigure it out later

Last edited by Halfcent; 07-13-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:20 PM

why wasn't the new cat welded in at the stock position? I would be a little iffy moving the cat farther back downstream.

my guess is that its throwing a fit because the cat is too far downstream...if you've got extra funds, weld it back into the stock location with the sensor it the stock location and see what happens.