2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

STS remote mount turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry guys wrong thread i was distracted when i was clicking sorry guys continue

Originally Posted by Red06LS
Awesome! This is a sweet looking set up, hope it hauls ass!

For any one ho hasnt seen one of these heres a pic of a 2.2 with a "Universal STS" set up;

Whoot!
how much horses and how much mula$ will that run haha

Last edited by SpeedJunkies07LS; 10-15-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-15-2007, 11:47 PM

xCobalt05x- get back on watch. haha

Navy guy here too, BM1 cvn74 just finished a westpac.

I have the 2.2 auto a 2006 though. I really am interested in all of what you have done. Send me notes, lessons learned.

geno.guerrero@gmail.com
Old 10-16-2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
ive seen too many people with CEL's using the 5th injector and a few people blow up their intake manifolds from puddling fuel. I under stand what you are talking about. but they also make 1200 CC injectors as well. ive also seen somewhere on the net some 1600cc injectors.
Who has blown up their intake manifold with fuel puddling? The nitrous guys have, many times. If your refering to mine, then your completely wrong. Mine was purely too much boost. I had no problem with fuel puddling. And so what if there are 1600cc injectors. You will never need them. The 5th injector also doesnt cause CEL's. Its the way they setup the car is what is causing the CEL or because a stock sensor is freaking because of the added air. Has nothing to do with the 5th injector. At the most you will get a o2 sensor CEL and that will result from the AEM FIC as well, not just a 5th injector.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
Who has blown up their intake manifold with fuel puddling? The nitrous guys have, many times. If your refering to mine, then your completely wrong. Mine was purely too much boost. I had no problem with fuel puddling. And so what if there are 1600cc injectors. You will never need them. The 5th injector also doesnt cause CEL's. Its the way they setup the car is what is causing the CEL or because a stock sensor is freaking because of the added air. Has nothing to do with the 5th injector. At the most you will get a o2 sensor CEL and that will result from the AEM FIC as well, not just a 5th injector.
nope, im talking about EMOforthemasses. he has the alpine kit w/ the smt-6 and it was causing fuel to puddle in the intake manifold and it blew up on a back fire, and he does not have nitrous in his car.

Originally Posted by sanger11
xCobalt05x- get back on watch. haha

Navy guy here too, BM1 cvn74 just finished a westpac.

I have the 2.2 auto a 2006 though. I really am interested in all of what you have done. Send me notes, lessons learned.

geno.guerrero@gmail.com
FC2 here. I'll hook ya up with information that i have. DO's and DON'Ts. Total cost and all the good stuff. Just got off of watch. I'll send you some info and stuff later tonight

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 10-16-2007 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-16-2007, 08:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
im not saying that is going to make me 400hp, wow. you of everyone on here is the one i cant wait to prove wrong the most.

they have dyno sheets of vehicals with simaler size engine to my own that are 190bhp and the sts is taking them to 314 bhp on a stage 1 STS set up
I never said that you'll get 400 HP

You were talking like just cause they were using a STS setup, that's why they made 400 HP. Like ZOMG.

It's turbocharged in general. Period.

But go ahead and prove me wrong cause those numbers you gave us, either you have a honda engine or you're using a Large Frame GT Series turbocharger that isn't spooling full boost till just before your redline.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
I never said that you'll get 400 HP

You were talking like just cause they were using a STS setup, that's why they made 400 HP. Like ZOMG.

It's turbocharged in general. Period.

But go ahead and prove me wrong cause those numbers you gave us, either you have a honda engine or you're using a Large Frame GT Series turbocharger that isn't spooling full boost till just before your redline.
LOL adam, i was thinking the same thing when i saw those numbers. Im not makin fun of your numbers bro, they just dont seem realisitic. Have your uncle scan in the dyno sheet man if you can!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:46 AM

LOL adam, i was thinking the same thing when i saw those numbers. Im not makin fun of your numbers bro, they just dont seem realisitic. Have your uncle scan in the dyno sheet man if you can!
Seriously...

That sounds like a dyno from some guy with a B18, making 300 WHP and 215 Lbs of torque...
Old 10-16-2007, 11:33 AM

hey how does that sts system work im confused to they perform like an exhaust driven turbo or what haha ???
Old 10-16-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkies07LS
hey how does that sts system work im confused to they perform like an exhaust driven turbo or what haha ???
Turbos are exhaust driven, he's remote mounting it is the only difference. Instead of having it at the manifold, he's putting it near the rear exit for the exhaust. It's becoming alot more popular lately. And the need for an intercooler is gone because of the length of pipe back to the intake manifold is longer and travels below the car when it's going to see alot of air and not in the engine bay making it alot more cool.

What size is the piping your using on the exhaust side? And the other side too? :P I have a hahn racecraft manifold and 2.75 DP with a 2.25 Cat back. Think I would need smaller piping?

Last edited by CoolVey; 10-16-2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-16-2007, 12:18 PM

Xcobalt05X can you pm me or send me an email explaining this. sounds interesting. i also wanna kno numbers (cost, HP, all that good stuff).

email. wdsoccer102005@netscape.net
Old 10-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by CoolVey
Turbos are exhaust driven, he's remote mounting it is the only difference. Instead of having it at the manifold, he's putting it near the rear exit for the exhaust. It's becoming alot more popular lately. And the need for an intercooler is gone because of the length of pipe back to the intake manifold is longer and travels below the car when it's going to see alot of air and not in the engine bay making it alot more cool.

What size is the piping your using on the exhaust side? And the other side too? :P I have a hahn racecraft manifold and 2.75 DP with a 2.25 Cat back. Think I would need smaller piping?
You should still have a intercooler.

They don't include one on larger motors because they are typically in much lower boost pressure which is well within it's efficiency range. Temperatures will be moderately higher but not so much where it's overwhelming.

The length of the charge pipe isn't going to get rid of the fact that it's compressed air.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:11 PM

It's the length combined with the placement of the piping. But, it's a choice thing. So....
Old 10-16-2007, 03:00 PM

eh. I wouldn't put too much on the turbo piping being cooled that much under the car. Most cars nowadays are made so that there is very little air underneath the car while driving. Especially higher speed sports cars.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

Dumbest idea ever! Waste of goin turbo
Old 10-16-2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by intense_SS
Dumbest idea ever! Waste of goin turbo
to each their own.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:13 PM

I really think people are overly critical sometimes.

I did just visit the web site, and I'm not that impressed with the price of the universal kit. I do like the originality of this though. I'm going to get the alpine w/ piggy. If this was a cheaper route I'd change my mind.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by CoolVey

wouldnt the air see a lot of friction loss going all that distance or no maybe im thinking of water, im training to be a PO (pump Operator) for the fire co. im with i may be thinking of water instead so the remote part means that you can use it when you want or is it a all the time kinda turbo that sounded bad ha ??
Old 10-17-2007, 02:56 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
it meand the turbo is located at the rear of the car instead of in the engine bay
Old 10-17-2007, 12:31 PM

wouldnt the air see a lot of friction loss going all that distance or no maybe im thinking of water, im training to be a PO (pump Operator) for the fire co. im with i may be thinking of water instead so the remote part means that you can use it when you want or is it a all the time kinda turbo that sounded bad ha ??
The only difference is the location of the turbo. Its located where the muffler is, not at the manifold. So basically, you have a $600+ piece of equipment in the location of the muffler, exposed to the elements, that requires 6-10 more ft of piping then a traditional kit and runs a smaller turbo. Super sweet huh?

I do like what you have done with your car dude, and im glad you are boosted finally. You have come a long way, but i just dont agree with the setup thats all. Its nice, but its floating with disaster in my mind.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:41 PM

perhapse you missed the part in the thread that i had the HT's onboard my ship make a weather sheild out of stainless steel.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 PM

No, i saw that dude. Thats good that they have that but its still a little close to the road for my taste. Honestly i just dont wanna see you come on here 2 months later saying your turbo is fubar'ed because you hit a pothole or something.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:57 PM

There would be a pressure loss from the distance to the throttle body.

No, i saw that dude. Thats good that they have that but its still a little close to the road for my taste. Honestly i just dont wanna see you come on here 2 months later saying your turbo is fubar'ed because you hit a pothole or something.
Or oil spills out everywhere cause his line got snagged

Last edited by NJHK; 10-17-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-17-2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
There would be a pressure loss from the distance to the throttle body.

Or oil spills out everywhere cause his line got snagged

I'd be running a braided hose line back and put that sucker under some guarding. My first thought was the oil dump line getting a leak and all the oil pumping out on the ground. The first time I started my turbo setup on my Neon up I had the hose clamp loose on the oil return line and it fell off. Made a nice mess, luckily it was idling in the garage surging because I was setting the voltage on my MAP blocker
Old 10-17-2007, 01:38 PM

You arent going to get THAT much of a pressure loss. Pressure loss in piping is measured per ONE HUNDRED feet. As a matter of fact I am trying to figure out how much HP this pump at work is going to need to pump 20,000 gal/min to a height of 35 feet using a Goulds 3196 and the pipe loss for 35 feet with a 3" pipe is like .24 psi JUST from the piping. Thats with caustic soda running in the pipe. Think about how much less viscous exhaust gas is than say water.... you are going to get pressure loss but I dont even know if youd be able to measure it with what, like, 7 feet of exhaust pipe?
Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lewisb13
You arent going to get THAT much of a pressure loss. Pressure loss in piping is measured per ONE HUNDRED feet. As a matter of fact I am trying to figure out how much HP this pump at work is going to need to pump 20,000 gal/min to a height of 35 feet using a Goulds 3196 and the pipe loss for 35 feet with a 3" pipe is like .24 psi JUST from the piping. Thats with caustic soda running in the pipe. Think about how much less viscous exhaust gas is than say water.... you are going to get pressure loss but I dont even know if youd be able to measure it with what, like, 7 feet of exhaust pipe?
yeah thats true i got messed up haha but **** but you have to think that that liquid has a half lb of head pressure every foot and you would have about 17.5 psi just from head pressure to get that stuff up there -the pipping and **** but yeah i figures it wouldnt be much pressure loss haha

Quick Reply: STS remote mount turbo