2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

STS remote mount turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys are acting like the underside of my car scrapes over everything. just so that you know, i have not lowered the car, the under side is still at the factory 2.2L ride highth. i have had the car for 2 1/2 years and i have never bottomed the car out on anything. so i dontk now what you all are talking about by snagging the line on something. If that was the case then my neon lights would have been broken a long time ago since they are bolted right up to the underside exactly the same way the oil lines will be hung.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
you guys are acting like the underside of my car scrapes over everything. just so that you know, i have not lowered the car, the under side is still at the factory 2.2L ride highth. i have had the car for 2 1/2 years and i have never bottomed the car out on anything. so i dontk now what you all are talking about by snagging the line on something. If that was the case then my neon lights would have been broken a long time ago since they are bolted right up to the underside exactly the same way the oil lines will be hung.
If debri and rocks didn't hit the underside of a car, you're driving on the most perfect roads every day of your life.

Fact is, side roads, residential roads, highways, freeways, wherever you go, you will eventually run over something and kick up something or another vehicle will do that for you.

When it rains outside, water gets everywhere underneath your vehicle.

You're making your setup MORE open to the elements around you by having it so low to the earth and in such a area where it's exposed.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:18 PM

but what are the odds of that happening of a rock bounceing up
Old 10-20-2007, 10:51 PM

^ exactly, if that was the case then there should be holes knocked into the oil pan, trany pan, and rust spots on the exhaust system from rocks hitting hit. But thats not the case, my muffler (which the turbo mounts in the exact same spot as my actual muffler) doesnt even have rust on it. Still nice bright shining chrome.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
^ exactly, if that was the case then there should be holes knocked into the oil pan, trany pan, and rust spots on the exhaust system from rocks hitting hit. But thats not the case, my muffler (which the turbo mounts in the exact same spot as my actual muffler) doesnt even have rust on it. Still nice bright shining chrome.
To quote my first post, this is a good view of how much room he has. Theres now way he will bottom out that bad to fk up his sts.
Originally Posted by Red06LS
Old 10-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow guys stop bashing his work/car. who cares its his not yours lol. I went with the garrett as its a full reflash. cant wait to get it installed!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:41 AM

xcobalt05x put your remote mount turbo on your car. Youll be the first to have it. If a rock bounces up and makes it explode, you get another one. I you scrape it on a HUGE pothole, you get another one. If jesus comes down from the gates of heaven and takes a huge **** on your turbo, guess what, you can get another one. I think its a sweet idea. Its cool that your uncle is trying to help you out. Dont listen to all the haters, do what you want to YOUR car.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:44 AM

I don't really care what he does but he's making it public, so I'm giving my opinion.

Just cause I'm not kissing his ass and saying "Sweet! Let us know how it goes!" doesn't mean that I can't say what I want.

If he can't handle peoples opinions, he shouldn't talk about it on a PUBLIC forum.

Also note, I have no broken any rules.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:49 AM

Adam Im not specifically talking to you. Im just trying to give him encouragement. I got love for everyone...
Old 10-21-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by lewisb13
Adam Im not specifically talking to you. Im just trying to give him encouragement. I got love for everyone...
Alright. Just making sure.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Red06LS
To quote my first post, this is a good view of how much room he has. Theres now way he will bottom out that bad to fk up his sts.

The car is on a lift... Haven't you ever jacked up your car, you stretch the suspension how far before the wheels come off the ground? After that car get's lowered then take pics and see how crowded it gets.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:44 PM

I don't think there's any risk of anything hitting the turbo. Even if he does manage to kick a rock on it it's not going to be big enough to hurt the turbo at all. Maybe a pebble at best. What I would be worried about is getting the turbo hot running it on a rainy day or something and kicking water on it. But as long as he has a decent splash shield it shouldn't be a problem.

I think it's pretty cool. Could have a nice sleeper effect not having the turbo mounted in the engine bay. Of course the intercooler and all the extra piping could give it away
Old 10-21-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
If debri and rocks didn't hit the underside of a car, you're driving on the most perfect roads every day of your life.

Fact is, side roads, residential roads, highways, freeways, wherever you go, you will eventually run over something and kick up something or another vehicle will do that for you.

When it rains outside, water gets everywhere underneath your vehicle.

You're making your setup MORE open to the elements around you by having it so low to the earth and in such a area where it's exposed.
How often do you puncture a hole n ur muffler, or rip it off. A turbos housings are a hell of alot stronger than a muffler, and I've been down a **** load of gravel roads and so far my mufflers still intacked and seem not to have any holes in it besides the inlet and outlet, so y don't u quit the crap about the elements, and unless u deside to go scuba diving in ur car then theres no problem with the water messing up anything. As far as pressure drops go there maybe about 3 to 4 pound drop, but the fact that the intake air will be saficently cooler than that of a traditional setup will help help with some of the power lose. Only posably problem would be if u lost the piping off ur inlet side of ur turbo and it was to suck something up inside of it damaging ur propeller, and posably blowing it into the motor. But as long as that isn't a problem then the setup is pretty much a sound setup.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:23 PM

The sts is actually quite wrong with saying that because they have longer piping they dont need an intercooler. 10 feet of pipe still doesn't change the fact that its a compressed air system, and I dont know about you but after awhile of running my air compressor the lines get warm. Now with sucking something on the intlet side we have these cool things called filters. And the only way they would loose the intake piping was if it was put together all shitty.

I'm really glad that your atleast giving the sts system a shot, but honestly I think that if you are going to run over 10lbs that you need to think about getting a front mount intercooler. It doesnt have to be a big one, just large enough to keep the engine from overheating. Because with the setup that your talking about running, turbo PLUS nitrous, it sounds like your engine can get hot enough to bake a cake. And if thats the case I'm thinking you could make money being the only bakery on wheels.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by 99camaroman
The sts is actually quite wrong with saying that because they have longer piping they dont need an intercooler. 10 feet of pipe still doesn't change the fact that its a compressed air system, and I dont know about you but after awhile of running my air compressor the lines get warm. Now with sucking something on the intlet side we have these cool things called filters. And the only way they would loose the intake piping was if it was put together all shitty.
I'm really glad that your atleast giving the sts system a shot, but honestly I think that if you are going to run over 10lbs that you need to think about getting a front mount intercooler. It doesnt have to be a big one, just large enough to keep the engine from overheating. Because with the setup that your talking about running, turbo PLUS nitrous, it sounds like your engine can get hot enough to bake a cake. And if thats the case I'm thinking you could make money being the only bakery on wheels.
Thats exactly what I was trying to say the only way the system is going to have eleminte problems is if u did a shitty job mounting ur inlet pipe and filter. As for the cooling for for 10 psi go hes not going to need a intercooler, u have to remember that the exhaust temps at the rear of you car is 100's of degrees cooler than that coming off ur header or exhaust manifold and as the car is moving the air is going to keep things even cooler since the turbo isn't trapped under the hood. It like when ur driving down the road with ur windows open (sts) the inside of you car is a lot cooler, and if the windows r up (conventional) then its hotter.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Blurred Vision
How often do you puncture a hole n ur muffler, or rip it off. A turbos housings are a hell of alot stronger than a muffler, and I've been down a **** load of gravel roads and so far my mufflers still intacked and seem not to have any holes in it besides the inlet and outlet, so y don't u quit the crap about the elements, and unless u deside to go scuba diving in ur car then theres no problem with the water messing up anything. As far as pressure drops go there maybe about 3 to 4 pound drop, but the fact that the intake air will be saficently cooler than that of a traditional setup will help help with some of the power lose. Only posably problem would be if u lost the piping off ur inlet side of ur turbo and it was to suck something up inside of it damaging ur propeller, and posably blowing it into the motor. But as long as that isn't a problem then the setup is pretty much a sound setup.
Have you ever seen a stuck turbocharger that is rusted to hell on the turbine housing? They are inside the engine bay...

People get holes in their mufflers are the time...people get exhaust leaks all the time. Steel can get punctured...it does happen.

You know what, I keep seeing you guys saying "It's cooler cause than a traditional setup"...well you know what...PROVE IT! You guys act like it's not HOT compressed air entering your engine just cause it's at the end of your vehicle.

Some also forget the fact that with more bends and longer distance travel, you're slowing down air velocity which also results in a pressure drop. It is significant.

The thing is, you're INCREASING the chances of something going wrong because ALOT of things...my biggest concern is oil lines and oil pressure.

I don't care what the original poster does but I just find it funny on some of the claims that the "pro-rear mount" people are making and they are comparing a I-4 engine to a V6 or a V8.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say the only way the system is going to have eleminte problems is if u did a shitty job mounting ur inlet pipe and filter. As for the cooling for for 10 psi go hes not going to need a intercooler, u have to remember that the exhaust temps at the rear of you car is 100's of degrees cooler than that coming off ur header or exhaust manifold and as the car is moving the air is going to keep things even cooler since the turbo isn't trapped under the hood. It like when ur driving down the road with ur windows open (sts) the inside of you car is a lot cooler, and if the windows r up (conventional) then its hotter.
You can't be serious...

The exhaust temperatures has very little in how hot the compressed air temperature will be.

A turbo isn't TRAPPED under a hood...you do realize that air circulates underneath a engine bay, right?

If what you were saying was correct, there would be a ton of turbocharged cars dropping like flies.

Originally Posted by 99camaroman

Only guy here with a little sense.

Last edited by NJHK; 10-21-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-21-2007, 08:26 PM

http://www.ststurbo.com/industry_experts
You might want to send these guys a message telling them how these kits are not a very good idea.
http://www.ststurbo.com/2_guys_garage
Look no intercooler and listen to how they say the TURBO RUNS COOLER NO OIL BURN TURBO LAST LONGER and look at the charge pipe how small the pipe is that will help ur air speed/ desity problem. And yes it is a V8, but if u look on sts's site u'll notic that yellow cobalt ls with the sts setup without an intercooler. At least someone is making since.

Last edited by Blurred Vision; 10-21-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:33 PM

http://www.ststurbo.com/industry_experts
You might want to send these guys a message telling them how these kits are not a very good idea.
http://www.ststurbo.com/2_guys_garage
Look no intercooler and listen to how they say the TURBO RUNS COOLER NO OIL BURN TURBO LAST LONGER and look at the charge pipe how small the pipe is that will help ur air speed/ desity problem. And yes it is a V8, but if u look on sts's site u'll notic that yellow cobalt ls with the sts setup without an intercooler. At least someone is making since.
First of all

You're comparing apples and oranges.

I bet anything that the turbochargers they use on a V8 motor are very large in size and high CFM producing. They also require less boost pressure for the amount of power they are creating. Being that said, they are very far from being out of their efficiency range, so high heat temperatures aren't a issue with them.

Of course they had no turbo lag...THEY HAVE 8 CYLINDERS AND ARE USING A SINGLE TURBOCHARGER SETUP.

You're also talking about opinions on top of opinions. You will find experts who say one thing and another expert will say the total opposite. You're also taking PRO statements from STS'S WEBSITE! I mean seriously, like they are going to show you something negative about their setups...

There are 5 quotes, you looked at the one guy who said anything about heat, all the rest were concerned with turbo lag...lets examine...

"The STS Turbocharged Corvette Z06 exhibited no lag or anticipation, and had a super linear power curve. I'd vote it an 11 on a fun level of 1-10! The sound was absolutely unbelievable, I've never heard a street car that sounded so good!"
"When we first saw this turbo system at last year's SEMA Show, we were very skeptical about throttle response. We thought that with the turbo so far away from the combustion chamber, the system would be lazy with a lot of turbo lag. But after driving the system on other trucks as well as on this install, we find the lag not excessive in the least; it is very near what you find on factory turbo systems."
"The velocity of exhaust gas and the fact that the STS design features a good deal of straight pipe, coupled with what exhaust gas does when it enters a turbo, should help negate any "lag" in the system."
"These turbo systems spooled quicker than any other turbo I've ever driven. The power comes on smooth and is very controllable, giving a great throttle response."
They are all talking about response timing and they are all (for the most part) are talking about V8 engines.

Also note, if you know anything about tuning, there are other ways of fighting possible detonation than intercooling, so of course you advertise "No intercooler needed" and also go back to my statement about efficiency ranges with turbochargers...

Like I've said before...

Just because someone does something to a car doesn't mean it's the best possible setup or most logical setup.

But what do I know. I mean, you copied and pasted some links and gave a example of heat temperatures underneath a hood by comparing a open and closed window of a car.

Genious.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
First of all

You're comparing apples and oranges.

I bet anything that the turbochargers they use on a V8 motor are very large in size and high CFM producing. They also require less boost pressure for the amount of power they are creating. Being that said, they are very far from being out of their efficiency range, so high heat temperatures aren't a issue with them.

Of course they had no turbo lag...THEY HAVE 8 CYLINDERS AND ARE USING A SINGLE TURBOCHARGER SETUP.

You're also talking about opinions on top of opinions. You will find experts who say one thing and another expert will say the total opposite. You're also taking PRO statements from STS'S WEBSITE! I mean seriously, like they are going to show you something negative about their setups...

There are 5 quotes, you looked at the one guy who said anything about heat, all the rest were concerned with turbo lag...lets examine...

They are all talking about response timing and they are all (for the most part) are talking about V8 engines.

Also note, if you know anything about tuning, there are other ways of fighting possible detonation than intercooling, so of course you advertise "No intercooler needed" and also go back to my statement about efficiency ranges with turbochargers...

Like I've said before...

Just because someone does something to a car doesn't mean it's the best possible setup or most logical setup.

But what do I know. I mean, you copied and pasted some links and gave a example of heat temperatures underneath a hood by comparing a open and closed window of a car.

Genious.
Sry I couldnt think of any other way simpler way to explain it so u could understand how the out side air on the turbo and piping will help alot with iat's.

Well you and i have been down this road once before. We both know were never going to agree on this subject. I see absolutly no problem with STS or there kits or with people who want to use there universal kits. You have your concerns which I respect but disagree with as you can tell. Yes this information is off STS's site, but every thing I could find in my searches have been positive. Also seen the pics of the yellow ls with the sts setup, tells me it has been done on a Cobalt without an intercooler as far as HP gain don't know, but neither do you, so I don't see us ever resolving our debate so peace, I'm getting carpultunnel. LOL

Last edited by Blurred Vision; 10-21-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-21-2007, 10:16 PM

There just simply isn't enough airflow underneath the car to drastically drop the heat. You might lose a few degrees on the way back, but nothing considerable. sts turbo system on
V8's work great because the v8 flows at a considerably higher amount than your 4 cylinder. There's simply more than twice the amount of exhaust that is pushed from a V8. Thats why the turbo lag is made up. They also use a considerably smaller turbo so that the spool times are quicker.

With that said, because they use the smaller turbos your looking at lower boost pressure, I reccomended that he use a intercooler after anymore than 10psi. STS states that the intercooler isn't necissary because the of the unique intake off the turbo and the length of the return pipe, when in all reality because they use the smaller turbo they aren't compressing as much air.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:40 PM

when I see some decent #'s & 1/4 mile times produced on an I4 then I will be impressed

any boosted V8 can be quick but lets see how that setup performs when you don't have 4+ litres to work with.

Stop arguing and just come back when its done.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
when I see some decent #'s & 1/4 mile times produced on an I4 then I will be impressed

any boosted V8 can be quick but lets see how that setup performs when you don't have 4+ litres to work with.

Agree'd our arguings getting nothin solved

we just need a test dummy lol
Old 10-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja

huzzah! Well said and I agree whole heartedly.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Switt23
The car is on a lift... Haven't you ever jacked up your car, you stretch the suspension how far before the wheels come off the ground? After that car get's lowered then take pics and see how crowded it gets.
WOW really? I never knew that happened when you jacked up a car!

I was actualy showing how much **** is lower than the turbo, theres alot that would bottom out before you got close to the turbo/oil lines. And i also believe he has some kind of shield made to protect it from flying stuff.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 AM

Some funny vids that made me think about exhaust pressure in a 4cyl vs a v8 exhaust pressure. Actually a 4cyl vs a 1cyl .lol there pretty funny.
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...BF44AA20C7.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6agXwQp-MWo
and then these r just some other small engine turbo little turbos on these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzBY5...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3Xi...elated&search=

just wanted to see opinions on if our exhaust pressure is less than a briggs and strations, want to see who says the obious that the perrpeller is too slow, and over looks that its a 2 hp briggs and stration with a t3, thats bigger than a stock dsm turbo. Enjoy

Quick Reply: STS remote mount turbo