2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

The Sunfire is No More! *dun dun dunnn*

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation The Sunfire is No More! *dun dun dunnn*

That's right...I no longer have the Sunfire. Most of my friends already knew this but thought I'd make it public.

What happend? Well, it's less of what happend but more of what's going on with my life. I have alot more responsibilities and alot more to think about future wise than a car to dump money into and modify. 3 years ago was a different story.

I did run into some problems before I traded in the car...

- Bad Turbo (Constantly blowing oil seals)
- Electrical issue/Sensor issue throwing the car into limp mode

Also, this is also in a time where I'm moving...well already moved now to Tennessee.

Now, originally my goal was to trade in the car for another stock boosted vehicle...on the list was an EVO 8 or 9, STi or WRX (SRT-4 was not even an option...hate those cars too much lol). I couldn't afford the EVO or STi but something happend and an Mitsubishi dealership made me test drive an 2006 Eclipse. Originally, I didn't like the car...then they let me take home an Manual 6-Speed 2006 Eclipse GT (V6) w/the Rockford Sound system and leather interior for an test drive. Well, I bought that car.

The car kicks super duper ass...runs low 14s (seen video proof of an 14.0 1/4 mile time stock) and I'm absolutely happy with the comfort and performance. I don't really plan on modifying it...well I've been threatened not to lol. One day, if I do decide to modify it, doing just bolt ons and possibly WAY down the road, 12:1 compression pistons (stock is 10.5:1 comp).

Just thought I'd let you guys know what's going on.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's sad to see the sunfire go, but it seem that everyone runs into a time in their life where a boosted J just isn't pracitcal anymore. I have read your posts since you started piecing the turbo kit together and asking multiple questions on J-body.

Much Respect for your time and dedication in making a great looking car, when everyone started out hating the two tone. Congrats on the new car, I personally am not a fan of the new look, but they still are really nice cars.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:49 PM

so the car was never officially finished?

oh well, atleast no more slushbox.

should've went for a Redline!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:12 AM

so the truth finally comes out.....
problems with the turbo eh? im thinking i might just have to keep my car n/a now...damn

congrats on the purchase again, and i think we have something else to congratulate you on that you should mention before i do
Old 08-11-2006, 03:26 AM

Congrats and great choice of a car,when did you make the move? come to think of it I have not seen you posting for a week or so
Old 08-11-2006, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 eclipse are nice cars but its gonna be hard as hell to boost this whip no engine space!

happy modding! bro
Old 08-11-2006, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
That's right...I no longer have the Sunfire. Most of my friends already knew this but thought I'd make it public.

What happend? Well, it's less of what happend but more of what's going on with my life. I have alot more responsibilities and alot more to think about future wise than a car to dump money into and modify. 3 years ago was a different story.

I did run into some problems before I traded in the car...

- Bad Turbo (Constantly blowing oil seals)
- Electrical issue/Sensor issue throwing the car into limp mode

Also, this is also in a time where I'm moving...well already moved now to Tennessee.

Now, originally my goal was to trade in the car for another stock boosted vehicle...on the list was an EVO 8 or 9, STi or WRX (SRT-4 was not even an option...hate those cars too much lol). I couldn't afford the EVO or STi but something happend and an Mitsubishi dealership made me test drive an 2006 Eclipse. Originally, I didn't like the car...then they let me take home an Manual 6-Speed 2006 Eclipse GT (V6) w/the Rockford Sound system and leather interior for an test drive. Well, I bought that car.

The car kicks super duper ass...runs low 14s (seen video proof of an 14.0 1/4 mile time stock) and I'm absolutely happy with the comfort and performance. I don't really plan on modifying it...well I've been threatened not to lol. One day, if I do decide to modify it, doing just bolt ons and possibly WAY down the road, 12:1 compression pistons (stock is 10.5:1 comp).

Just thought I'd let you guys know what's going on.

Isnt the Eclipse like 25-26k? That's only about 2k less than an EVO, at least in my area. What kind of deal did you get on it???
Old 08-11-2006, 08:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thats what i was about to say. or if it was going to be a "family" car a mazdaspeed 6. theyre around that area. i looked at the eclipses but the roof is still too short. they arent bad looking. and most mitsu dealers do 2 years free gas. or at least around here they do.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh wow adam...well hate to see the fire go but congrats on the new car.
really liked the car and ill always have the freehold mall meet memories. lol
I also didnt know you moved all these sudden changes. wish you the best of luck man.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:30 AM

Bummer, sorry to hear about the Sunfire. Nice buy on the Eclipse! Kinda looks like a womb of some kind.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:02 AM

Bro congrats on that eclipse. I test drove one right before I bought the Cobalt and it was a beast. I chirped 3rd gear in that thing. I liked it a lot. Congratulations.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:13 AM

The new eclipse is very nice. Looked at the same 6speed v6 gt, the day I brought the Cobalt home. Congrats on the new car, & new location!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:20 AM

My room mate has that car and he loves it. What color did you get? Here's his:

With my mods, I think I'm actually a little faster than he is. If he went turbo, he'd absolutely annihilate me. Has anyone turboed up the V-6 yet? I don't think the stock internals would handle it, which would make the turbo project quite a heafty investment.

So you're sticking to minor bolt ons? Killer dude, you will definitely love the car - a very fast N/A.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:35 AM

it happens though, lord knows I've debated on selling this car a few times and there's nothing wrong with it.

you know you'll mod the Mitsu, you're just in the denial stage of things right now.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:46 AM

WTF did you have to go and divorce Sam for? That car was HAWT!

But yeah, I understand bro, Life kicks in, And things change.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:03 AM

Congrats on the new car!!!
If you drive a lot you will like the Eclipse a lot better then the Evo. The Evo is a harsh ride for driving everyday.

I've never see one run low 14's stock heck i've never even seen one in the 14's. I saw a couple at the track running about a mid-15sec pass.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:04 AM

thought id never see ya get rid of "sam". much respect from you on the org. hope it found a good home so some kid wont trash it but continues to get the respect it has from the org.

yes you WILL end up modding the eclipse,! good luck on the new road.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:05 PM

I wondered where you had been, i'm glad you're happy with the new ride...hope it works out better for you man!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Switt23
It's sad to see the sunfire go, but it seem that everyone runs into a time in their life where a boosted J just isn't pracitcal anymore. I have read your posts since you started piecing the turbo kit together and asking multiple questions on J-body.

Much Respect for your time and dedication in making a great looking car, when everyone started out hating the two tone. Congrats on the new car, I personally am not a fan of the new look, but they still are really nice cars.
LOL remember when I was going for the "3-tone"? Man, that was a bad idea...lol

Thank You for the kind words.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
so the truth finally comes out.....
problems with the turbo eh? im thinking i might just have to keep my car n/a now...damn

congrats on the purchase again, and i think we have something else to congratulate you on that you should mention before i do
Wasn't really that much of a secret...people close to me knew what was going on.

What you talking about? I'm confussed...
Old 08-11-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by g5mike
Congrats and great choice of a car,when did you make the move? come to think of it I have not seen you posting for a week or so
I got here last week, Friday night.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedyBowties
Isnt the Eclipse like 25-26k? That's only about 2k less than an EVO, at least in my area. What kind of deal did you get on it???
I got it for 22K cause it had some mileage on it but I was the official first owner of the car.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:26 PM

Also, the EVO RS goes for 28K but that dealership and most dealerships won't carry the RS cause they want you to spend the extra 4K for an EVO 9 or even better another 2+K for an EVO 9 MR.

They were trying to sell me an EVO 9 for 32K + Taxes and bla bla bla
Old 08-11-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by snvowles
My room mate has that car and he loves it. What color did you get? Here's his:

With my mods, I think I'm actually a little faster than he is. If he went turbo, he'd absolutely annihilate me. Has anyone turboed up the V-6 yet? I don't think the stock internals would handle it, which would make the turbo project quite a heafty investment.

So you're sticking to minor bolt ons? Killer dude, you will definitely love the car - a very fast N/A.
On the 4G forums, no...no one has turbo'd them for the simple fact of no real way of tuning them while being boosted and no company has taken the innitiative to come up with a way YET.

But in my opinion, turbo'ing would be just way too much work. This car has a ton of potential naturally aspirated. Being that it's a MIVEC motor makes it's potential 100% better. Personally, if I have my way in the future, I'd raise the compression from 10.5:1 to 11.5:1 or 12:1 comp. Granted motor work isn't easy but it's less headaches to worry about. Also, the car is in dying need of an LSD.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by slowion2

it happens though, lord knows I've debated on selling this car a few times and there's nothing wrong with it.

you know you'll mod the Mitsu, you're just in the denial stage of things right now.
HUSH YOUR FACE!

Quick Reply: The Sunfire is No More! *dun dun dunnn*