2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Supercharged my 2.2L G5 Pursuit but having problems going into boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharged my 2.2L G5 Pursuit but having problems going into boost

OK people so I need a brainstorming session/ANY IDEAS YOU MAY HAVE.

So completed supercharge build last week of May/first week of June.

2006 Pontiac G5 Pursuit 2.2L L61

You can check my supercharger build list for complete details... but to sum it up, here is my problem... I can drive a low speeds without an issue but the moment the car gets out of vacuum & into boost... it doesn't boost, runs waay rich/bogs down & doesn't run good at all when trying to go into boost. (between 12.00 to flashing 10 on the AFR since it doesn't go lower than that).

SO I need brain storming.... I originally thought could be tuning. I'm running with the first tune that Vince sent to me since we went thru many updates without success... however Vince says its not an issue with tuning and to go over the install again. I'm running the 1map bar on the intake mani (which I'm considering on switching to the supercharger for further troubleshooting)...... All hoses/connections look good... I had the supercharger setup apart last week to trouble shoot this, cleaned up the install area/intake mani and ensured everything was clean and good for re-install.

What am I missing.... am I overseeing something... is something defective that I may not be aware of.... what the hell could it be.

Any feedback would be great.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 PM

I had this issue for a day. Is the hose coming off of the black cylinder on the supercharger clogged? It's the hose for controlling boost in the ss/sc. I had mine clogged which caused my car to only boost to like 4psi and run VERY rich.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ml2242
I had this issue for a day. Is the hose coming off of the black cylinder on the supercharger clogged? It's the hose for controlling boost in the ss/sc. I had mine clogged which caused my car to only boost to like 4psi and run VERY rich.
I'll have to go check but thanks for the simple suggestion... I need simple ideas like this to look at!!!

I may just replace it just because of what you said... there is a lot of cracks in it but nothing piercing thru/leaking so maybe I'll replace it... sounds like it could cause major issues...

To confirm, do you have black hose hooked up to the nipple on the intake mani to a T fitting, top of the T fitting goes to boost gauge and other side of T fitting goes to the nipple on the actuator on the supercharger?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 PM

There should only be 1 vacuum line hooked up to the bypass valve. It should be the Top nipple on the bypass valve, and it goes about 3-4 inches to the supercharger. Take that T fitting out and hook your boost gauge up on the vacuum nipple on the top(center) of the intake manifold.

Just like this(Thanks to IonNinja):

See where the bypass vacuum line hooks to the supercharger? Go about 5in's to the left(dead center of the SC), and look right between the fuel rail and the supercharger on the intake manifold. You will see a vacuum nipple. Thats where you hook your boost gauge up to.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
There should only be 1 vacuum line hooked up to the bypass valve. It should be the Right nipple on the bypass valve, and it goes about 3-4 inches to the supercharger. Take that T fitting out and hook your boost gauge up on the vacuum nipple on the top(center) of the intake manifold.
no needs two plugged in.... I tried with one and it was causing major idling issues... I see your turbo/not supercharged... do you have a picture of what your suggesting because maybe I didn't do SOMETHING right.... please advise with pics so makes easier to look at because that could be a part of my problem.

EDIT serves me right... as soon as you posted up the pic I made my post & you included pic... lol.. I'm just looking at that now.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by RobHole
no needs two plugged in.... I tried with one and it was causing major idling issues... I see your turbo/not supercharged... do you have a picture of what your suggesting because maybe I didn't do SOMETHING right.... please advise with pics so makes easier to look at because that could be a part of my problem.

EDIT serves me right... as soon as you posted up the pic I made my post & you included pic... lol.. I'm just looking at that now.
its cool dude, I was searching through Jerry's pictures to give you a good one. I also know all this because I was in arizona on vacation and jerry was still having issues so I went over and gave him a hand. Unfortunately he wasn't tuned well enough to get a nice pull but his car still drove awesome.

Make sure you have your bypass valve hooked up like the above picture, and you shouldn't have any issues unless the valve is bad(which should be fairly rare).
Old 07-07-2009, 01:19 PM

its cool dude, I was searching through Jerry's pictures to give you a good one. I also know all this because I was in arizona on vacation and jerry was still having issues so I went over and gave him a hand. Unfortunately he wasn't tuned well enough to get a nice pull but his car still drove awesome.

Make sure you have your bypass valve hooked up like the above picture, and you shouldn't have any issues unless the valve is bad(which should be fairly rare).
Looking over the pic.... I had it setup that way... problem was vacuum issues.... did he plug the bottom hole on the actuator or leave it as is?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Just leave it open. Its for the LSJ's only.

Your more then likely going to have a vacuum leak at your injectors then you are there. Just make sure you have the correct hose size and its not cracked to ****.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Just leave it open. Its for the LSJ's only.

Your more then likely going to have a vacuum leak at your injectors then you are there. Just make sure you have the correct hose size and its not cracked to ****.
Ok i'll give that a go... I just seafoamed my car so I'm about to run it to drop the oil and drop in some new oil again... maybe before i drop the seafoam/oil out of the car, I'll try what you recommended, leave the bottom nipple unplugged and see what happens... thanks for the suggestion
Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Rob,

Good luck with your fix. I started mine tonight and I don't have any boost at all, but runs fine lol. WTF? No boost at all.

Gene.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 AM

did u cut the intake mani gasket? my buddy had issue after issue all because he had a leak and it was coming from the gasket but we really couldnt see it or hear it at first.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Zdeuce4
did u cut the intake mani gasket? my buddy had issue after issue all because he had a leak and it was coming from the gasket but we really couldnt see it or hear it at first.
Nope, intake mani gasket is brand spanking new from dealer and I watched it as I was putting it on... plus no vacuum leak, just boosting issues.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:21 AM

thought u were supposed to cut it to make it fit correctly on 2.2's/2.4's?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:41 PM

cut it where though? It fits perfectly over the port holes on the intake mani as you slip it onto the block... plus I didn't see that in any supercharging your 2.2 guides I've been reading over at all.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
stock gasket is fine.

sounds like its just the bypass actuator. the bottom nipple needs to vent to the atmosphere, and should not be hooked up to a vacuum source like it sounds like your saying it is
Old 07-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
stock gasket is fine.

sounds like its just the bypass actuator. the bottom nipple needs to vent to the atmosphere, and should not be hooked up to a vacuum source like it sounds like your saying it is
OK so.... it seems to boost to 4PSI for now but another problem... P0204..... injector 4... need to pull the injector & also check the wiring make sure everything is good.... arg.... my car really has been putting up a FUSS about going supercharged and its kind of annoying me a little bit....
Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 PM

lol. Nothing ever works perfectly. Life would be too easy then
Old 07-09-2009, 01:19 AM

If rob starts the car when its cold it will run for a few minutes, up to operating temperature then it will throw that code for this injector 4. What would cause it to throw that code AFTER its warmed up?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by _UnLiMiTeD_
If rob starts the car when its cold it will run for a few minutes, up to operating temperature then it will throw that code for this injector 4. What would cause it to throw that code AFTER its warmed up?
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0204
Old 07-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Talking

I talked to Rob about this.

He spliced in the connectors for the Stage 2 injectors.

I told him to take out the #4 injector and switch with another injector. If the code moves to another injector... then the injector is the issue.

If #4 comes up again then you need to start looking at the wiring.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 AM

^^ good thinking
Old 07-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Im the one that did the wiring on his car and we checked all to make sure they were connected, although somethign may have gone wrong lol.

Good thought on switching the injector, Rob, be careful with those o rings you rem how much of a pita they were!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 PM

Not second guessing your wiring job at all... but even the best of techs can make a mistake or a wire can get crunched... pulled... etc.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Not second guessing your wiring job at all... but even the best of techs can make a mistake or a wire can get crunched... pulled... etc.
wasnt saying im above mistakes :P just pointing it out so i can answer Qs about it hahaha
Old 07-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Banned

"lets have blame session, i blame Eilene"

Quick Reply: Supercharged my 2.2L G5 Pursuit but having problems going into boost