2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Supercharged my 2.2L G5 Pursuit but having problems going into boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

So has Rob done anything? I haven't heard from him in days.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you have two problems with your injectors

first is that they are not sealing properly in the head and two, you don't have a good wiring connection on that #4 injector

wanna know how I know? because the same issues happened to me

and yes it is very annoying having post install issues...

I think you have two problems with your injectors

first is that they are not sealing properly in the head and two, you don't have a good wiring connection on that #4 injector

wanna know how I know? because the same issues happened to me

and yes it is very annoying having post install issues...

Last edited by IonNinja; 07-11-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-12-2009, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt
wasnt saying im above mistakes :P just pointing it out so i can answer Qs about it hahaha
Actually, it was the wiring for the injectors, it had all come apart under the electrical tape. *cough* TOM*cough*. The butt connectors used were too big and the wires were all coming out of it. So we ran down to the store and got some smaller ones this time, re did it all and the car started right up, no codes.

He has some tuning to do, the AFR at wot goes to 10 but thats an easy fix. Also the dipstick was spewing oil everywhere because it doesnt fit in properly, so hes going to have to play around with that.

So the car is up and running and driveable, just needs some fine tweaking now.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:07 AM

i used the butt connecters made avail to me
and the dip stick just sucked all together lol
Old 07-12-2009, 01:17 AM

lol ohhh excuses! Nah just given yea ****, but no seriously, all ur fault lol

And yea, we all knew that dipstick was going to cause some trouble, once he hit 10 psi boost, it blew out the dipstick tube and all over the motor LOL. I wasnt there for that one.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by _UnLiMiTeD_
lol ohhh excuses! Nah just given yea ****, but no seriously, all ur fault lol

And yea, we all knew that dipstick was going to cause some trouble, once he hit 10 psi boost, it blew out the dipstick tube and all over the motor LOL. I wasnt there for that one.
nice, i have a spare that may have that o ring thingy but i cant get into canada lol
Old 07-12-2009, 03:51 AM

nice, i have a spare that may have that o ring thingy but i cant get into canada lol
I can't get into US anymore ... wanna meet at the Canadian border... literally just walk into the office & I'll meet you there lol.

OK so... my car hits 10 PSI & after doing some quick rewiring/fixing injector harness... everything was GOOD TO GO... left running for about an hour at idle... idling at like 1100 w/ AFR 14.7-14.8.... when @ WOT, it doesn't bog down anymore but it does running really rich but it runs & drives and doesn't mind picking up speed!!! ...

Dipstick though, oil spewed EVERYWHERE from where it was connected... all over the oil pan, heat exchanger pump, sub frame brace... everywhere on the bottom of the engine... the seal looks good on the oil pan so its definitely not that... I don't think its the plug so my only assumption since the majority of the oil was spewing towards the front and was leaking around that area, is the crappy seal for the dipstick so tomorrow, going to pull that and see if I can find O rings at lordco for it... if I can't find then just using some RTV silicone & jb weld or this metal paste i have that I'm going to stick around it to hold it in place.... sigh... then as long as I'm not leaking oil.... I should be able to make the trip to the western canadian mega meet without any issues hopefully since I'll be driving approx 2000 km overall round trip. lol. Leaving Wednesday for that so needs to be fixed ASAP.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:15 AM

take tools!!!!!!!! if you need that dip stick let me know and i can ship it to you asap lol
Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
while i have some ghetto stuff done to my car, i would insist soldering is a must when it comes to critical wires like fuel injectors. butt connectors should be reserved for halo/LED hookups...lol
Old 07-12-2009, 09:19 AM

Talking

This is what happens when you have a certain amount of time to work on the car. You have to take your time and when it is finished, it is finished.

You CAN use butt connectors, but you must use the type like you get with the GM connectors that are heat shrinked and then there is solder in the middle that when they are heated it melts and solders the wires together.

My friend did all of that for me during my install and you can literally see the solder melt and then it cools and fuses the wires together all inside the butt connector.

That is how all of the connectors on my car are done.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
This is what happens when you have a certain amount of time to work on the car. You have to take your time and when it is finished, it is finished.

You CAN use butt connectors, but you must use the type like you get with the GM connectors that are heat shrinked and then there is solder in the middle that when they are heated it melts and solders the wires together.

My friend did all of that for me during my install and you can literally see the solder melt and then it cools and fuses the wires together all inside the butt connector.

That is how all of the connectors on my car are done.
this is what i need! i managed to screw my injector wiring up even with solder

the heat shrink on top of that would do wonders though
Old 07-12-2009, 01:19 PM

mine is done with butt connectors and is working just fine

but yes, its not necc the connection of choice lol

Last edited by NWAE Cobalt; 07-12-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-12-2009, 02:34 PM

anywho.. point is.. runs now! lol.. just need fine tuning from vince & need to get dipstick issue resolved... I'll let everyone know today how it goes with the dipstick once completed... hopefully, no more leaks.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
someone mentioned cutting the gasket...YES U HAVE TO CUT IT

per GM installation instructions, and bc the holes ur blocking serves a purpose...
[img][/img]
thats how u cut it...our head has aport in the middle, which should NOT be blocked...if you dont the gasket, its WILL get blocked...
Old 07-12-2009, 08:24 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by IonNinja
this is what i need! i managed to screw my injector wiring up even with solder

the heat shrink on top of that would do wonders though
Yes, the way he does it is magic like. You can see the solder melting then the shrinks the connector and then it is finished for good!

Originally Posted by RobHole
anywho.. point is.. runs now! lol.. just need fine tuning from vince & need to get dipstick issue resolved... I'll let everyone know today how it goes with the dipstick once completed... hopefully, no more leaks.
Good luck!

Last edited by Gene Culley; 07-12-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-12-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
someone mentioned cutting the gasket...YES U HAVE TO CUT IT

per GM installation instructions, and bc the holes ur blocking serves a purpose...
[img][/img]
thats how u cut it...our head has aport in the middle, which should NOT be blocked...if you dont the gasket, its WILL get blocked...
DOH... I see that.. but wat the heck purpose does that serve... did everyone who went supercharged do that same step?? Is there someone who has not and did not have a problem?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:34 AM

Thats part of the PCV system i believe. stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. There is a small nipple on the top of the old intake manifold that has a line that clips to it just above the TB and runs to the right side of the head into a small gray box. You must still have that connected with a vacuum line.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 PM

from what I've seen from other similar builds... I should be fine without that additional cut.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM

Jn2 is the only person I know off hand that has cut their gasket. I know I didnt...

What ill effects if any can this cause?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
Jn2 is the only person I know off hand that has cut their gasket. I know I didnt...

What ill effects if any can this cause?
I've been told, as long as I don't have my dipstick popping out or oil spewing... I'll be fine ...

which I'll find that out real soon anyhow!

I think in GM's guide to supercharging, that was a step used for supercharging ecotec cavalier... you'll also notice they don't use the heat exchanger at all either lol... that they just use caps for the in/outlet... so there is a few differences... I think I'll be fine.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 PM

Talking

I didn't cut any gasket for mine. I used the stock LSJ gasket and I didn't see those holes or anything in my head either.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:47 AM

has ur problem of boosting been resolved?
Old 11-28-2009, 10:46 AM

Yes and no lol

It was running ok but I found a vacuum leak around where I have my map sitting so I put silicone rtv around where it sits but I may have put too much. Now she doesn't run right at all.

Just need to pull it out and clean it up and not use so much of it again and she should be running just fine

I've had it parked and uninsured for a few months(will be a few more months before she leaves the garage) to save money cuz I'm heading off to New Zealand next week.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 PM

Talking

The best thing to do is get some gasket material and make your own gasket. It will seal much better.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by RobHole
Yes and no lol

It was running ok but I found a vacuum leak around where I have my map sitting so I put silicone rtv around where it sits but I may have put too much. Now she doesn't run right at all.

Just need to pull it out and clean it up and not use so much of it again and she should be running just fine

I've had it parked and uninsured for a few months(will be a few more months before she leaves the garage) to save money cuz I'm heading off to New Zealand next week.
lol, having fun with our backyard mechanic brackets? (this is tom btw haha)

Quick Reply: Supercharged my 2.2L G5 Pursuit but having problems going into boost