2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Supercharger for 2.2 LS

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger for 2.2 LS

I recently bought a 2.2 LS 5 speed. Basically the base model so I can put exactly what I want into it.

This being really the first car that I have ever been able to work on, I am a noob when it comes to some of this stuff.

Do they have aftermarket Superchargers and or turbo chargers for these cars and will they void my warrinty by putting one on there.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Strider_2001
I recently bought a 2.2 LS 5 speed. Basically the base model so I can put exactly what I want into it.

This being really the first car that I have ever been able to work on, I am a noob when it comes to some of this stuff.

Do they have aftermarket Superchargers and or turbo chargers for these cars and will they void my warrinty by putting one on there.
Yes it will deffinately void your warranty. From what I hear, there are no aftermarket s/c kits out yet but I think haghn makes a turbo kit(maybe for the cavalier?).
Old 05-07-2006, 06:18 PM

if they are found to be the direct cause of your problem then yes it will void the warranty

example if you crack a rod from over boosting it wont be covered by warranty.
if your radio stops working, and you have a turbo kit installed they can't deny your warranty because of that.

some dealerships might freak out that you have a modified car though and try to BS you.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Hahn Is Making A Turbo For The 2.2,,,,, It Sopose To Make 222.6 Hp And 248.9 Tq!!!! So It A Good Turbo!,,,, Still Don't No The Price
Old 05-07-2006, 06:26 PM

where did you hear that # from
Old 05-07-2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by elmstreet
where did you hear that # from
Those #'s were posted in july's issue of Turbo mag. They're one of the only ones to test the new kit for the cobalt I believe. There is another thread on here somewhere just posted the other day about this.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:33 PM

i dont really read threads about turbos because i have never really been interested in getting one. im slowly getting sucked into the idea though...
Old 05-07-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
if they are found to be the direct cause of your problem then yes it will void the warranty

example if you crack a rod from over boosting it wont be covered by warranty.
if your radio stops working, and you have a turbo kit installed they can't deny your warranty because of that.

some dealerships might freak out that you have a modified car though and try to BS you.
well thats what a void is... its a hole in ur warranty. as soon as u put that f/i on, u can kiss any powertrain and drivetrain warranty goodbye
Old 05-07-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltR
Those #'s were posted in july's issue of Turbo mag. They're one of the only ones to test the new kit for the cobalt I believe. There is another thread on here somewhere just posted the other day about this.
YEAH,,JUST GO TO SEARCH AND PUT HAHN TURBO AND CLICK ''HAHN TURBO'' OH AND THE TURBO GIVES 8 PSI
Old 05-07-2006, 07:13 PM

Not to be a jerk but why didn't you find out answeres before you bought your car?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by elmstreet
i dont really read threads about turbos because i have never really been interested in getting one. im slowly getting sucked into the idea though...
YOU SHOULD GET A TURBO,,SO WHEN ONE OF THOSE CIVIC'S TELL YOU THATS A FAKE SS YOU'LL KICK HES ASS AND PROOF HIM WRONG!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:16 PM

Wouldnt of mattered I could not afford the SS.....Plus did not want everything the SS had for the amout of money to be paid..Plus this gives me a way to learn about things..
Old 05-07-2006, 07:21 PM

ah okay
Old 05-07-2006, 11:13 PM

gm makes a supercharger for the 2.2, part#: 1780003
as far as the warranty... i have no clue, i mean, it is a gm part put on by gm people?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by afireinside1582
gm makes a supercharger for the 2.2, part#: 1780003
as far as the warranty... i have no clue, i mean, it is a gm part put on by gm people?
this is for the cavalier/sunfire and will not work on a cobalt...

people need to do the following:

A) Search before you post, because there's 28,0003,3948.2847,023084 posts about superchargers/turbos for the 2.2

B) Don't post if you don't know what you're talking about

no offence to anyone
Old 05-08-2006, 12:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To the original poster...

Before listening to anyone who replied to this thread, do you know how much power you're looking for? Do you have the funds to fix anything that breaks or replace something that stops working? Do you have a place to help you do the work?

Even after all these question are answered...do you know enough about how a supercharger or turbocharger works and how to maintain it? Everyone could tell you to buy a Hahn kit but if you don't know what you're looking at and what does what, you're asking for trouble. More so with turbocharged setups (because of being more parts involved and more likelyness of something failing or leaking) you need to know what to look for. With turbocharged systems, you deal with watching out for oil leaks, boost leaks (those are noticeable most of the time), smoking issues, wastegate issues and the list goes on. Even throughout all of this, the biggest thing you're going to deal with is fuel management.

Just do research before stepping into anything. If you need help, just contact me.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:02 PM

Hi, I have been looking into putting a supercharger on my 05 LS coupe for a couple of weeks. I went down to the dealer with the list of parts needed from the build book and a few of the guys went over it with me. First we found out the part number is wrong, the actual number is 17800003 (missing one 0). Secondly they had no problem with me putthing this on my car unlike the air intake. Through the weeks I've been looking into this I have done searches and read all the forums I cound find on the topic on this site as well as on google and there are still some questions I have. First, what are the fitment issues, if any, with either the supercharger mentioned above or the SS/SC'ed one (I know that the windshield washer holder is on the side where the intake goes but I found that can be moved to the other side and there is a hole in the fender well there that is the same size as the other side) Secondly, what else on the car would I or should I look into changing considering I already put on the GMPP catback and I plan on buying the bold on cat when they finally come out with one (I know that most, if not all, the engine internals are good for at least 250 hp which im not planning on going over), will I need a new intake manifold and/or throttle body? What else do I need and/or what am I leaving out? I appreciate any help you guys can give me but please just leave cost of parts and labor and all that out of it. Thank You in advanced.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:54 PM

yeah, your right, i was reading the build book and it does say cavalier... my bad
Old 05-08-2006, 11:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andy112043
Hi, I have been looking into putting a supercharger on my 05 LS coupe for a couple of weeks. I went down to the dealer with the list of parts needed from the build book and a few of the guys went over it with me. First we found out the part number is wrong, the actual number is 17800003 (missing one 0). Secondly they had no problem with me putthing this on my car unlike the air intake. Through the weeks I've been looking into this I have done searches and read all the forums I cound find on the topic on this site as well as on google and there are still some questions I have. First, what are the fitment issues, if any, with either the supercharger mentioned above or the SS/SC'ed one (I know that the windshield washer holder is on the side where the intake goes but I found that can be moved to the other side and there is a hole in the fender well there that is the same size as the other side) Secondly, what else on the car would I or should I look into changing considering I already put on the GMPP catback and I plan on buying the bold on cat when they finally come out with one (I know that most, if not all, the engine internals are good for at least 250 hp which im not planning on going over), will I need a new intake manifold and/or throttle body? What else do I need and/or what am I leaving out? I appreciate any help you guys can give me but please just leave cost of parts and labor and all that out of it. Thank You in advanced.
1. There shouldn't be any physical fitment issues because the head has the same bolt on spots for the manifold just like the 2.0. The only issue you MIGHT have cause I don't know if it's any different than the 2.2s in the J-bodies, is the actual belt ribs.

2. You could into getting a header. There are plenty of threads about it here.

3. GM says 250 HP but they got that number from using a 100 shot of nitrous and not through boost. If you research, the breaking point of 250 happend and all 4 connecting rods snaps instantaneously. Nitrous is a very instant type of power and adds way more stress to the motor than gradual power increase like boost. Point is, you can reach past 250 HP...people have done it already.

4. Remember the supercharger sits on a manifold, so it automatically replaces your stock intake manifold. If I were you, I'd find the manifold off a SS/SC or Redline that has an aftercooler.

Anything else?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GMPP is developing a supercharger for the 2.2 in the cobalt, no word on release....this is from a reliable parts slinger at my dealer.....and yes, hahn is making a turbo for the 2.2 cobalt....and yes, no price or exact release date yet.....and yes, the #'s listed above are correct......i was the one to post about the hahn turbo.....i am currently waiting to hear back on possibly being a prototype for the turbo....it all depends on what kind of deal they will work out .....but as far as anything else goes, it is a very expensive custom job or is a line of BS

Edit: by numbers i mean the HP and TQ gains from the hahn turbo.... https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/hahn-turbo-19251/ here is the link to my other post....post#7 has a scan of the article
Old 05-09-2006, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by 97CIVIC
YOU SHOULD GET A TURBO,,SO WHEN ONE OF THOSE CIVIC'S TELL YOU THATS A FAKE SS YOU'LL KICK HES ASS AND PROOF HIM WRONG!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
1. There shouldn't be any physical fitment issues because the head has the same bolt on spots for the manifold just like the 2.0. The only issue you MIGHT have cause I don't know if it's any different than the 2.2s in the J-bodies, is the actual belt ribs.
i believe the fitment issue everyone is referring to is a radiator bracket, which is just a matter of fabricating a new one.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK

2. You could into getting a header. There are plenty of threads about it here.

3. GM says 250 HP but they got that number from using a 100 shot of nitrous and not through boost. If you research, the breaking point of 250 happend and all 4 connecting rods snaps instantaneously. Nitrous is a very instant type of power and adds way more stress to the motor than gradual power increase like boost. Point is, you can reach past 250 HP...people have done it already.

4. Remember the supercharger sits on a manifold, so it automatically replaces your stock intake manifold. If I were you, I'd find the manifold off a SS/SC or Redline that has an aftercooler.

Anything else?
so the part number the guy quoted is an actual supercharger for the 2.2? from what i've read here it seems that you are agreeing that it will indeed fit our cars and if this is true, i will be looking into this real soon!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by dead_black_balt667
so the part number the guy quoted is an actual supercharger for the 2.2? from what i've read here it seems that you are agreeing that it will indeed fit our cars and if this is true, i will be looking into this real soon!
he gave you a part number for a supercharger for the cavalier/sunfire...there is not one available specifically for the Cobalt.

even if you get past any fitment issues you are still left with having to figure out the tuning.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:27 PM

Hey, my name is Andrew by the way lol. And yeah you're right it is for the cavalier/sunfire but for the most part the engines are the same so with that i'd be willing to make the needed adjustments if I did this. But yeah thanks you guys answered what I needed to know. I wanted to make sure the engine wouldnt start smoking on the way to school. One more thing that I can think of right now: would anything have ot be done to the tranny? I have the auto and I know they have a pretty good record but I'd ratter be safe then sorry. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Supercharger for 2.2 LS