2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Supercharger in 2.2l

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger in 2.2l

would a stock supercharger for the 2.0 cobalt work in the 2.2l. i know programming will be the issue but other than that would it work? mounting it and installing it? if so what else would i need to install it in my 2.2 cobalt?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2006, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dunno, i do know one member on jbody.org has a supercharger from a redline and made it work.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:10 PM

I have seen a couple of ecotec cavalier that are running this supercharged(I guess its the same).Except the computer probs,the engine is the same so Im sure that it will fit.( corect me if im wrong,you should ask halfcent or NJHK for that,they are like the ecotec bible)
Old 07-26-2006, 06:18 PM

search there is several threads about it

bottom line the cavalier/sunfire kit will work for you , but you will require to tune it your self , no relfash or anything for you , and you will need the intake stuff , and intercooler stuff from the ss/sc
Old 07-26-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please do a search before posting. This is an over discussed topic. I just made a sticky in fact addressing it.

Mechanically all the parts will work, yes. But there is no way to control it yet.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:30 PM

compression ratio on the 2.0 is where a s/c works best man...... this was discussed like a dozen times already
Old 07-28-2006, 10:42 PM

The thing that gets me is over a year ago people were saying that the supercharger for the 2.2 wass just around the corner...And guess what a year later NOTHING.....Oh well
Old 07-29-2006, 02:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cobss187
compression ratio on the 2.0 is where a s/c works best man...... this was discussed like a dozen times already
Compression ratio isn't that much of an issue. Remember the 2.2 S/C kits they offer for the J-bodies is the same supercharger and comes with the same size pulley as a stock Cobalt SS & Redline.

The main issue is fuel delivery.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by qcpursuit
I have seen a couple of ecotec cavalier that are running this supercharged(I guess its the same).Except the computer probs,the engine is the same so Im sure that it will fit.( corect me if im wrong,you should ask halfcent or NJHK for that,they are like the ecotec bible)
yeah, my friend has the GM s/c kit...pulls strong.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:18 PM

What the hell is taking them so long to get on their grind for us 2.2's?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:58 PM

gm makes one for the 2.2, i saw it in the gm performance parts catalog for 2006
Old 07-31-2006, 01:18 PM

Build book

On page 38 of the build book, it says "IMPORANT: The Product information Label (PN# 12593900) must be presented to dealer in order to receive the new calibration."

Above P# I believe is in the S/C kit.

It goes on to say for engine to function properly, u must use this calibration above.. blah blah failure to do so will void product and vehicle warranty.

Finally got me build book bak.

P# 12590819 for Auto Transmission
P# 12590820 for Manual Transmission
P# 17800003 is GM Performance Parts ECOTEC Supercharger Kit

"In order to for dealership to access the new caibration, contact the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) at 1-800-828-6860. The dealer will be able to acess the new calibration, GM part number 12590819 for Auto Transmission / 12590820 for Manual Transmission, therough the system."

Hey this is quoted forom the book so halfcent or anyone else can yell at me... but its gms fault for putting it in the book.

This is my plan, I plan to buy the kit in about 6 months and get dealer to intall it basically give them my build book at this time i will probulary get new forged rods and pistions i plan on making 300 whp even if i have to get the blower ported i will. This is my plan for my Balt.

Glad i could help!

Scott
Old 07-31-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Please do a search before posting. This is an over discussed topic. I just made a sticky in fact addressing it.

Mechanically all the parts will work, yes. But there is no way to control it yet.
Excuse my rant dude, don't take it personal... but why does everybody say this? Really? This is a forum, not an info site. Is discussion only allowed on new topics? I look things up from past topics that are a year old. I'm not going to re-open that forum and have someone say, "man this topic was old, why you reposting?" Besides, I have re-opened a topic, and nobody said anything. So ease up on the newbies of the forum, k? Not a demand, just a request. Sorry for the thread jack.

Back on topic: a supercharger or something reliable to boost up some HP for a daily driver would be nice. I'm getting kinda sick of the SERIOUS lack in power of this motor. By far, this is the slowest car I've ever owned. Kinda depressing.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by BaltMod
Excuse my rant dude, don't take it personal... but why does everybody say this? Really? This is a forum, not an info site. Is discussion only allowed on new topics? I look things up from past topics that are a year old. I'm not going to re-open that forum and have someone say, "man this topic was old, why you reposting?" Besides, I have re-opened a topic, and nobody said anything. So ease up on the newbies of the forum, k? Not a demand, just a request. Sorry for the thread jack.

Back on topic: a supercharger or something reliable to boost up some HP for a daily driver would be nice. I'm getting kinda sick of the SERIOUS lack in power of this motor. By far, this is the slowest car I've ever owned. Kinda depressing.
I hear you bro. Go get that SS/SC! It's calling your name......
Old 07-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Banned

\ok, i have a few things in response to this:

1) you should search, and not complain when someone tells you to... after you're been here for a while, you will see how damn annoying it is when 3 new people a day come to the site and ask about turbos/superchargers for the 2.2 There are tons of topics on this
2) did you research the cobalt before you bought it? 145 hp and 150 tq, did you think it was going to be a speed demon stock?

give it some time dude... if you're that impatient, upgrade to the 2.4 or the 2.0
Old 07-31-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
\ok, i have a few things in response to this:

1) you should search, and not complain when someone tells you to... after you're been here for a while, you will see how damn annoying it is when 3 new people a day come to the site and ask about turbos/superchargers for the 2.2 There are tons of topics on this
2) did you research the cobalt before you bought it? 145 hp and 150 tq, did you think it was going to be a speed demon stock?

give it some time dude... if you're that impatient, upgrade to the 2.4 or the 2.0
1. Well if it bothers someone that much, just don't open the topic. Nobody is making them.

2. Well of course I did my research, I was looking for a cheap car. Speed demon? The SS/SC would still be slower than anything I've had. I knew it would be slow, but damn!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You must be confusing me with the large number of ******** that I have to routinely deal with. I'm not discouraging new users from using the forum. I am actually trying to help people more easily get their answers. I created a sticky, in this section in fact, describing the current forced induction problems with this car. It would have answered the original posters question right away, without the need for the creation of a new thread.

You say you read right out of the build book about the supercharger kit. You even quoted some stuff about the calibration flash. Let me quote a line you must have missed...

From Page 26, the very first paragraph under the "Supercharger" description:
"Fits 2003-2005 model year Cavalier and Sunfire." The kit DOES NOT FIT AND WILL NOT WORK with the Cobalt.

It is a VERY common mistake due to the fact that the book pictures a Cobalt on the first page of the section. The build book is about ALL ecotec engines, not just the Cobalt.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

1. Well if it bothers someone that much, just don't open the topic. Nobody is making them.

2. Well of course I did my research, I was looking for a cheap car. Speed demon? The SS/SC would still be slower than anything I've had. I knew it would be slow, but damn!

it's not a matter of opening or not opening a topic... it wastes bandwith which makes the site slower for everyone...
Old 07-31-2006, 05:10 PM

it's not a matter of opening or not opening a topic... it wastes bandwith which makes the site slower for everyone...
True... don't know what to tell you there. But if that's really an issue, there's a lot of BS posts that shouldn't be on here either. Post ******, and other issue's that should be addressed besides someone legitimately asking a question that doesn't want to look through 20 posts, some with pages and pages of BS and drama, just to answer one simple little question about... whatever. Kinda like what I'm doing right now!

Back on topic... sorry.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Banned

True... don't know what to tell you there. But if that's really an issue, there's a lot of BS posts that shouldn't be on here either. Post ******, and other issue's that should be addressed besides someone legitimately asking a question that doesn't want to look through 20 posts, some with pages and pages of BS and drama, just to answer one simple little question about... whatever. Kinda like what I'm doing right now!

Back on topic... sorry.

no problem... i hope you stick around, i love helping out the new members... the mods do weed out alot of the bs, some more than others... i feel you on the pages of drama too... but that's unfortunately what happens when you have thousands of members... there will be post ****** that post only get their count up... for anything induction related to the 2.2, i would post in the sticky section that halfcent posted... you have a much better chance that that post is going to stay on topic, and also a much better chance that your questions will get answered...
Old 08-01-2006, 10:39 AM

no problem... i hope you stick around, i love helping out the new members... the mods do weed out alot of the bs, some more than others... i feel you on the pages of drama too... but that's unfortunately what happens when you have thousands of members... there will be post ****** that post only get their count up... for anything induction related to the 2.2, i would post in the sticky section that halfcent posted... you have a much better chance that that post is going to stay on topic, and also a much better chance that your questions will get answered...
Which is the advantage of the Sticky: posts. Good thing too. Sorry to chime in on this with a thread jack, my fault. Final note: I'm not interested in really getting a TON of power out of this car. I didn't buy it for speed. My bike pushes as much power to the wheel, stock, as the 2.2 does on the motor. Ironic when you think about it, lol. Just would be nice for the thing to get out of it's own way, get a LITTLE accel. g forces in my seat!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:52 AM

here is a link to the pdf instructions

http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersou...k_to_250hp.pdf

looks like the s/c from the ss
Old 08-02-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by jcbravez
here is a link to the pdf instructions

http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersou...k_to_250hp.pdf

looks like the s/c from the ss
so that's the kit that fakes you out? since it doesn't specifically say that supercharger will work on a cobalt, just that particular engine. too bad. i was hoping to get that for my gf's cobalt.

wonder how much that janx is anyway. hrmm...