2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Supin Up An Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supin Up An Intake?

yo i decided to post this under 2.2 since i have one....wut would u guys think if i port and pollished my intake...is it even possible....idnt kno much about this topic so i decidedd just to throw the idea out their....and as u can see im pretty desperate for power....and dnt tell me to go turbo LOL THANKS
Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Balt36
yo i decided to post this under 2.2 since i have one....wut would u guys think if i port and pollished my intake...is it even possible....idnt kno much about this topic so i decidedd just to throw the idea out their....and as u can see im pretty desperate for power....and dnt tell me to go turbo LOL THANKS
Your intake is plasitic allll the way to the engine block so p&p is out. Do intake and exhaust. thats about all you can do, becides turbo.

Last edited by Red06LS; 04-16-2007 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2007, 02:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
doesnt matter how wide the intake is if the throttles still stock anyways...and even then.....if you want more power after intake and exhaust...youll have to go with incrased piston compression, new camshafts (requires a tune), and raising redline (also requires tune)
Old 04-16-2007, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
doesnt matter how wide the intake is if the throttles still stock anyways...and even then.....if you want more power after intake and exhaust...youll have to go with incrased piston compression, new camshafts (requires a tune), and raising redline (also requires tune)
That works too!
Old 04-16-2007, 02:46 AM

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts
What they are saying is that you can't do incrased piston compression, new camshafts, and raised redline, because there is not tuning available.... you'll have to wait on most of that, but if your question was about putting an alum. intake mani. and p&p'ing it yes you can do that....
Old 04-16-2007, 03:29 AM

so there is alum intak mani for the 2.2? never have seen that, but i dont doubt it.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
What they are saying is that you can't do incrased piston compression, new camshafts, and raised redline, because there is not tuning available.... you'll have to wait on most of that, but if your question was about putting an alum. intake mani. and p&p'ing it yes you can do that....
but you have to follow the restriction rule

intake is the exact same as exhaust in the sense that your piping is only as big as your smallest point (with few exceptions since air can compress)

at any rate, your not going to see a gain without porting your throttle body as well
Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Red06LS
so there is alum intak mani for the 2.2? never have seen that, but i dont doubt it.
X2 , also why plastic?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:03 AM

yo

ha i have an injen intake mna....i was wondering about a p&p on that intake...i think that would improve the intake and sound! u think?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
Not true. You CAN use a piggyback unit to alter the MAF signal reference to the PCM.

Originally Posted by Belto
X2 , also why plastic?
Cheap to manufacture and it's a simple design that is effective.

Originally Posted by Balt36
ha i have an injen intake mna....i was wondering about a p&p on that intake...i think that would improve the intake and sound! u think?
You CAN NOT port and polish your intake tube...

I don't know where you guys have gotten this information.

Porting is a drilling method used to increase a diameter. Polishing helps with airflow. Your aftermarket intake is alluminum and typically are very thin as is. There is no benefit in increasing the diameter.

You would not be improving anything.

Your intake is plasitic allll the way to the engine block so p&p is out. Do intake and exhaust. thats about all you can do, becides turbo.

First thing, I don't think he was talking about his intake manifold...I think he was talking about his upper intake section.

If he was talking about the intake manifold...

You could DREMMEL the intake manifold.

The problem with this is that you would decrease air intake velocity the larger you make the runners. This would essentially move your powerband upwards. Like Hunterkiller said, it would not benefit you to do something like this unless you are capable of drawing more air in and in that effect, you're probably moving your powerband upwards anyways.

Last thing, please people (not just Red06LS), instead of telling people what they should buy, ask them questions. Find out what the poster is looking for realistically from the car and not to do things just because they have some drilling tools around their house. Doing something like this could mess something up and if there are shavings left inside the manifold and put back on, you could cause actual engine damage. You would also be effecting airflow dynamics.

Bigger is not always better. Air velocity is a huge effect on an engine.

There is but there isn't.

It wasn't made for the 2.2 specifically but it's on the Saab 9-3s (2003+) 2.0 Turbocharged ECOTECs. They are alluminum BUT I would not suggest someone getting this item unless they are either turbocharged or drawing in a significant amount of air per engine cycle or increasing engine cycles per min (RPMs). It is a higher flowing manifold than your stock plastic manifold.

Also understand that just because your manifold is plastic DOES NOT mean that it is:

1. A bottleneck on your intake system
2. Not capable of flowing the proper amount of air
3. Weak

I'll put it simply, if you have NO engine work done and you're not running a turbocharged setup, there is no benefit for someone to have this manifold.

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
but you have to follow the restriction rule

intake is the exact same as exhaust in the sense that your piping is only as big as your smallest point (with few exceptions since air can compress)

at any rate, your not going to see a gain without porting your throttle body as well
Even with porting the throttle body, that could be a negative effect unless needed.

The stock manifold and the stock throttle body size IS capable of flowing enough airflow. Until someone starts to:

1. Increase RPMs
2. Do valvetrain upgrades (mainly changing the intake camshaft)
3. Increasing compression (like you said)

The throttle body's stock size (58 MM) MIGHT be a restriction point.

Also, I don't know how well you'll be able to bore the electronic throttle bodies.

Last edited by NJHK; 04-16-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He's talking about his intake, not his manifold.

There is no such thing as porting and polishing an intake. It's just a pipe. There is nothing to port or polish about it.

-------------------
Damn, Adam beat me to it. With a lot more words.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:33 AM

If I'm not mistaken, there is a saab intake manifold that bolts right up to the 2.2L. I am not sure if you would need to change the throttlebody to match though.

Like NJHK said, I don't think P&P would make much of a difference at all with just an intake. Especially with the stock plastic manifold. It is smooth already.

But if you got the saab manifold, you could p&p. But what I've heard is that the saab manifold already flows more air than ours stock. Not saying to buy it, but to research it.

I think he would actually have better results with just polishing. Making the intake smoother, wouldn't it speed up the intake air velocity, resulting in just slightly more power. Or if not power, wouldn't the engine rev a little faster?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:52 AM

WOW NJHK you sure know a lot,,, DAHM
Old 04-16-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Damn, Adam beat me to it. With a lot more words.
Gotta keep on your feet ol' timer.

Plus, you beat me a few times in the past, so consider this revenge

Originally Posted by Belto
WOW NJHK you sure know a lot,,, DAHM
I've been around the ECOTECs (especially L61s) for years, that's kind of why.

Last edited by NJHK; 04-16-2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 PM

I was about to say.
How the hell does one go about porting an aftermarket intake? The damn things are only like a 1mm thick anyway.

Rep added to NJHK for mad knowledge
Old 04-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by monkeiboy
I was about to say.
How the hell does one go about porting an aftermarket intake? The damn things are only like a 1mm thick anyway.

Rep added to NJHK for mad knowledge
LOL Exactly

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:25 PM

Adam is all over this **** lol. I was just pointing out that its plastic all the way to the engine, i wasnt sure what part of the intake he was talking about. But at any rate i think he has been straightned out now.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:49 PM

Adam is all over this **** lol. I was just pointing out that its plastic all the way to the engine, i wasnt sure what part of the intake he was talking about. But at any rate i think he has been straightned out now.
It's no problem.

I'm all over it like me on some chicken...mmm...chicken...