2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Sway Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VRCobalt
Hmmm...FE5 frt sway bar is 5mm larger? I just added another mod to my future list.

So to switch out the frt sway bar, all I need are these?

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1662C188.aspx
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1663C188.aspx
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1661C188.aspx
Yeah thats all you need however when you go to install them you will have to cut some of the rubber off the bottom of the bushings where the rubber contacts the subframe. Also if your going for the FE5 front get the TTR 1" rear solid rear bar. They should balance each other out nicely.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish eibach would come out with their sways. damnit.

I'm running K-sport coilovers and the MRZ strut bar. i have a rebel twin subframe bar and TTR's rear sway sitting in my garage. i would love to throw on some SS/TC knuckles and the BWoody rear brace bar. wonder what class that would put me in for autoX
Old 09-26-2008, 10:12 PM

Do you recomend a front sway bar? or is a rear and a strut bar good?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior203
Do you recomend a front sway bar? or is a rear and a strut bar good?
The rear sway bar and the front strut bar are so easy to put on that anyone could do it in 10 mins each.

I would prefer to upgrade my front sway bar, but don't have the time, tools and knowhow to replace it.

If you don't have the tools or the willingness to learn how to do it (I don't right now) then just get the easy stuff for now.

If you are going to upgrade the front bar, you need to add a rear bar, or the car is going to "push" more than it does already.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ill just point it out again but be aware that if youve got a high flow cat/dp/or delete and if someone calls you on it youre gonna be taken out of STS and put in STX, which youll likely get annihilated in with an otherwise "mild" Balt.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just starting out in autox i'd suggest doing the minimal amount of mods, work on the driver mod first. but the rear sway is a necessity, before i had one the car was totally unpredictable in turn entry. it made the car very predictable which is what you need to become a better driver. once you get comfortable with your setup and can induce over or understeer at will, start with the mods to move the balance of the setup to your liking. and running in a class that you should get creamed in only forces you to get better faster, if you're running against inferior cars what's the challenge.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by bluebaltjim
just starting out in autox i'd suggest doing the minimal amount of mods, work on the driver mod first. but the rear sway is a necessity, before i had one the car was totally unpredictable in turn entry. it made the car very predictable which is what you need to become a better driver. once you get comfortable with your setup and can induce over or understeer at will, start with the mods to move the balance of the setup to your liking. and running in a class that you should get creamed in only forces you to get better faster, if you're running against inferior cars what's the challenge.
Theres a difference between honest competition and being completely outclassed. Youll never improve in a class where youre nowhere near the level of vehicle as your competition, because youll always be at the bottom, its demoralizing. No matter how excellent a wheelman you become if your hamstringed by your equiptment its no fun to race. the whole point is to have fun and improve. If your completely outclassed its very difficult to judge your performance other sthan solely on the data, which again gets demoralizing.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:26 AM

Did somebody say my name?!?!?
Old 09-28-2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maven
Theres a difference between honest competition and being completely outclassed. Youll never improve in a class where youre nowhere near the level of vehicle as your competition, because youll always be at the bottom, its demoralizing. No matter how excellent a wheelman you become if your hamstringed by your equiptment its no fun to race. the whole point is to have fun and improve. If your completely outclassed its very difficult to judge your performance other sthan solely on the data, which again gets demoralizing.
so you're saying you suffer from low self-esteem, jk man, i know it can bring you down but being a full second out on a regular basis definitely gives you a sense of how you're doing, clawing that second down to 8/10ths or even 1/2 of a second is progress. and the first couple of years at autox you're gonna suck anyway, and you should be running in a novice class.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:15 AM

so you're saying you suffer from low self-esteem, jk man, i know it can bring you down but being a full second out on a regular basis definitely gives you a sense of how you're doing, clawing that second down to 8/10ths or even 1/2 of a second is progress. and the first couple of years at autox you're gonna suck anyway, and you should be running in a novice class.
I dont know how they do things in Texas, but here in NJ there isnt a "novice" class. You show up, you go in the class your car meets the specs for, you race. beginner, novice, sportmsman, expert, elite, pro, none of those titles mean anything, if you qualify for stock you run stock, if youve got aftermarket larger wheels, or a CAI well then you run STS, if youre running a high flow cat, welcome to STX, if youve got an engine swap, it better be mean becuase now youre running in Street Mod.

I dont know how they do things in Texas, but here in NJ there isnt a "novice" class. You show up, you go in the class your car meets the specs for, you race. beginner, novice, sportmsman, expert, elite, pro, none of those titles mean anything, if you qualify for stock you run stock, if youve got aftermarket larger wheels, or a CAI well then you run STS, if youre running a high flow cat, welcome to STX, if youve got an engine swap, it better be mean becuase now youre running in Street Mod.

I guess this brings up another valid point. Talk to locals who race, and find out what class youl be in. For instance It may be worth the aggrevation to throw your stock airbox in for race weekends so that you can actually be running against cars youll have a chance with.

Last edited by Maven; 09-28-2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-28-2008, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maven

I guess this brings up another valid point. Talk to locals who race, and find out what class youl be in. For instance It may be worth the aggrevation to throw your stock airbox in for race weekends so that you can actually be running against cars youll have a chance with.

what region are you in? every scca region i've ever competed in has a novice class, in and out of texas. if the region you compete in doesn't have a novice class, i'd approach the board and find out why. it's not fair to be thrown to the wolves as a beginner, that's a large reason the membership in the scca is down. who wants to take the time to be competative when you're instantly competing against veterans of the sport.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:50 AM

so if these eibach sway bars are not for sale....y when i do a part number search all these sites come up....showing that they have them for sale....the cheapest set i found was 291.85 plus 12.22 ground shipping or 34.90 for ups 3 day
Old 09-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsilent13
so if these eibach sway bars are not for sale....y when i do a part number search all these sites come up....showing that they have them for sale....the cheapest set i found was 291.85 plus 12.22 ground shipping or 34.90 for ups 3 day
Place an order for them, you will see they wont ship anything, because Eibach doesnt manufacture them yet....
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 PM

Yeah those bars are like the Holy Grail.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Eibach has stated "2 more months" since 2005 LOL
Old 09-28-2008, 04:23 PM

eibach needs to get on the ball already

do they need a test car or what?

Last edited by mrsilent13; 09-28-2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-29-2008, 04:21 AM

ok so I ordered the MRZ strut bar and the TTR rear sway bar. I autox'd today with only my eibach pro's. I did terrible. After my first run I looked at my front tires and I was running on the side walls on probably every turn. I have so much body roll.I'm due for a tire rotation so I'm going to be getting one before the next event which is in 2 weeks, which may help a little. I should have the the sway and strut bars on by then too HOPEFULLY. By next season I want to get a set of all-seasons that will give me the traction I need for a reasonable price. Any suggestions for a good set of tires? Also for anybody that's interested I'll keep you posted on my performance with the new mods at the next autox event.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:45 PM

if you're on the sidewalls you need to run higher air pressure, on street tires you need alot higher than normal
Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 AM

im running 40-42 psi tire pressure all around, i can't go much higher than that
Old 09-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Well then your looking at lower profile tires to help solve your problem.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 AM

yea, any suggestions on some good tires?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM

On stock 15" wheels Ive seen guys running 205/50-15's they are a little shorter than stock and have a shorter sidewall. BFG G-force all seasons are good tires

Its tough to find an ultra hipo all season in these small sizes.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:21 PM

well I'm thinking about getting a new set of 18's too, so I'm assuming there would be a wider variety with a larger wheel? Again, any suggestions?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:51 PM

18's are notoriously heavy, stick to 17's or smaller. They'll be cheaper and lighter. The stock steels are 15x6 so pretty much everything available aftermarket will be wider. Search the forums, you'll find a bunch of stuff about aftermarket wheels
Old 10-02-2008, 12:39 AM

if you use the 15's look into falken azenis rt-615's, hankook ventus r-s2's, or the kumho ecsta mx's. if you plus size really look at the same tires to stay in a street tire class. the larger sizes of these tires tend to be stickier than the 15" ones are, but for street tire class this is what most people are using.

here's the falkens
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance

the hankook's

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....el=Ventus+R-S2

the kumho's

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....model=Ecsta+MX

Quick Reply: Sway Bars?