2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

technical help on cams.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
technical help on cams.

Now I know about the crank position on my07. Has anybody come up with any possible theories that might allow us guys to change the cams on our engine. Because have heard that even some of the LS engines have a crank position sensor. And they have ways of changing the cams out. Maybe a longer shaft or something to make the sensor sit right on top.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:07 AM

nothing yet, still waiting on a set of cams i ordered from TTR a week ago. the exhaust cam should be a direct swap. i'm going to compare the differences in the intake cams and see if it's feasible to transfer the 4x reluctor for the cam sensor.

Update: Got a box from CompCams today. I ordered the stage 1 n/a cams. If I have time at work, I'll take my valve cover off and compare. Interesting to note, the cams are ground on GM cores.

Last edited by jperris; 03-13-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:20 PM

keep me updated. If thangs don't get to complicated. I might be spending a weekend in grease.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jperris
nothing yet, still waiting on a set of cams i ordered from TTR a week ago. the exhaust cam should be a direct swap. i'm going to compare the differences in the intake cams and see if it's feasible to transfer the 4x reluctor for the cam sensor.

Update: Got a box from CompCams today. I ordered the stage 1 n/a cams. If I have time at work, I'll take my valve cover off and compare. Interesting to note, the cams are ground on GM cores.
Do you have the timing chain holding tool -- and did the CompCams have good directions on swapping out the cams?
Old 03-14-2008, 03:14 AM

so i took off my valve cover off tonight, in order to compare the early-type cams with the ones in my car. pic below illustrates the differences. The yellow line on the early-style cam approximates the length to which it would have to be cut in order to fit in the head. The red lines indicate where the diameter of the cams get larger, both do it in the same area, but it seems the later cam flares out a little more than the early cam does, meaning metal would probably have to be added in order for the 4x reluctor to fit correctly on the early cam. So basically it won't fit without a lot of work. I think we're better off either getting the stock cam reground and finding a way to compensate for a smaller base circle, OR *crosses fingers* maybe somehow convince GM to get us some late L61 intake cam blanks. All in all, I'm a bit disappointed, but hey the exhaust cam is still a direct replacement, and (according to some simulations i've run) just replacing the stock exhaust cam with the comp stage 1, should be good for about 15 flywheel horsepower, along with a rough idle. Anyway, I think i'm going to hold off on installing anything until I get a solution figured out for the intake cam.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Great post
Old 03-14-2008, 01:50 PM

I was thinking that maybe someone could machine an adaptor that could fit over the intake cam. I have full acess to CAD programs. If someone could get me the specs I can draw it on a program called soild works. From there I might, that is might be able to get the machine shop at my work to bulid the adaptor.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MadBrad
I was thinking that maybe someone could machine an adaptor that could fit over the intake cam. I have full acess to CAD programs. If someone could get me the specs I can draw it on a program called soild works. From there I might, that is might be able to get the machine shop at my work to bulid the adaptor.
We use solid works, save it as an "IGES" file extension and we can import it into our NC programing software and machine it

I think that would be a good part to "EDM" cut so it is very precision. Only factor is getting the timing gear aligned right, to the lobes on the intake cam....
Old 03-15-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
We use solid works, save it as an "IGES" file extension and we can import it into our NC programing software and machine it

I think that would be a good part to "EDM" cut so it is very precision. Only factor is getting the timing gear aligned right, to the lobes on the intake cam....
Ture. That why I need some specs and detail between the stock intake cam and the aftermarket intake cams. The sooner somebody or I get the specs, than the faster I can make the drawings. Everything to lift of the stock to the lift of the comp cams. And how much needs to be trim. Because I have two different ideas. Either A clamp style or a cap style.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Former Vendor

Keep us updated, and we will make anything you need to get the job done
Old 03-16-2008, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Red07SSNA
...did the CompCams have good directions on swapping out the cams?
the directions included with the comp cams are generic; they pretty much outline the cam replacement procedure as it applies to a small-block chevy V8.

Originally Posted by MadBrad
Let's find someone that's got an extra '07-up L61 intake cam laying around. Or, you can order one online for about $60+ shipping and get your specs from that. Part number is 12590699 for the stock cam.

Last edited by jperris; 03-16-2008 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost