2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

tired of waiting for a turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tired of waiting for a turbo.

Well ive done a bit of looking and, i want to build my own turbo kit. first off the turbo kits they sell now come with a gt28r, thats nice and all but i want more so im going with a t3/t4 and am just going to use there plumbing and such. now i know from my last post that there is little hope of tuning any time soon ( ill probally trade the car in before it comes out) i was going to use the AEM fuel/ignition controler im not sure if this will work cobaltperformanceparts.com has it posted to have been tested under boost on the cobalt. this is the main reason i posted this. anyway while im writing this ill tell yall that i also am installing the obx header and 2.5 downpipe from cobaltaddiction as soon as it gets here and by the way has anyone ordered from them?if so how long did it take its been a week and ive not even got the tracking numbers yet. but after thats done the next thing is going to be the turbo im guessing after looking around if it works it will cost about 2500$ a grand cheaper and more power. then assuming it works ill install the 75 shot and call out all ss/sc.any way if there are any suggestions it would really help if its already been tried, i need more, what ever i left out let me know and, if it works ill post the videos cause i want to be done before the track closes thanks.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:32 AM

why you gonna buy a header? you're gonna throw it away if you make a turbo kit. then again, you'll probly throw your tranny away too becuase it sounds like you have an auto....
Old 09-09-2007, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Smitty1017
why you gonna buy a header? you're gonna throw it away if you make a turbo kit. then again, you'll probly throw your tranny away too becuase it sounds like you have an auto....
the auto is just as strong as the manual

but yeah theres no point in buying a header if your going turbo
Old 09-09-2007, 04:52 AM

well i ordered the header when i cracked the downpipe. i had to order the downpipe so for another 200$ i could have a header to just till the turbo is done every little bit helps. but yah latter i have to get the turbo manifold.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:06 AM

I'd suggest reading this first before you do anything:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums//showthread.php?t=33820
Old 09-09-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by halfj99
the auto is just as strong as the manual

but yeah theres no point in buying a header if your going turbo
the auto is actually rated at 20ft-lbs of TQ higher than the manual....the auto is stronger....its just a lot easier to upgrade a clutch than it is to build up an auto tranny....
Old 09-09-2007, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
the auto is actually rated at 20ft-lbs of TQ higher than the manual....the auto is stronger....its just a lot easier to upgrade a clutch than it is to build up an auto tranny....
So can we put this to rest? Is there going to be a problem putting a turbo in an auto car or not? I need to know.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:45 AM

i've got an automatic tranny build sheet(a performance 4t45e tranny) if you're interested....the guy builds them himself, just send it to him and he'll put all your parts in.
And..don't expect to slap a turbo and nos on your car and call out any ss/sc's...without tuning, and forged internals...a fat guy on a bike can beat you. Sure you could run without tuning, and you'll be fast as hell, for a few seconds, before you **** your engine in half, lol.
Buy the turbo kit, look into transmissions, but DONT install anything until theres tuning for it.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 AM

throwing stuff together usually isnt the best inless your trying to blow stuff up
Old 09-09-2007, 11:51 AM

Anyone can come in here and run there mouth about getting a turbo and nos. Lets see this build!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt15.7
Well ive done a bit of looking and, i want to build my own turbo kit. first off the turbo kits they sell now come with a gt28r, thats nice and all but i want more so im going with a t3/t4 and am just going to use there plumbing and such. now i know from my last post that there is little hope of tuning any time soon ( ill probally trade the car in before it comes out) i was going to use the AEM fuel/ignition controler im not sure if this will work cobaltperformanceparts.com has it posted to have been tested under boost on the cobalt. this is the main reason i posted this. anyway while im writing this ill tell yall that i also am installing the obx header and 2.5 downpipe from cobaltaddiction as soon as it gets here and by the way has anyone ordered from them?if so how long did it take its been a week and ive not even got the tracking numbers yet. but after thats done the next thing is going to be the turbo im guessing after looking around if it works it will cost about 2500$ a grand cheaper and more power. then assuming it works ill install the 75 shot and call out all ss/sc.any way if there are any suggestions it would really help if its already been tried, i need more, what ever i left out let me know and, if it works ill post the videos cause i want to be done before the track closes thanks.
if you have an auto, it's going to be a bitch running the turbo plumbing. Plus you have to tune the shift solinoids to take the extra stress from the turbo. It won't blow your tranny up, but it'll cause premature wear. There's no tuning for the 2.2 auto tranny.

Also I'm not totally positive of all the differences demensions wise between the auto and manual tranny but you might not be able to use the manual turbo kits plumbing. It'd be good to look into that.

If you have a manual, there are plenty of kits out there that will work, and having put togeather my own turbo kits for previous cars, going with the kit WILL SAVE YOU LOTS OF TROUBLE. There's always some tiny odds and ends that you'll forget about or won't forsee and they can turn into a pain in the ass.

Another thing is the tuning. Are you going to be doing it yourself? Do you have a wideband of some sort? Some way to datalog? If you don't have much tuning experience it would be a good idea to find a base map as well, which is going to be hard to do since I think there's only a handfull of people running the aem unit as of right now on the 2.2.