2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Total Horsepower.....?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Horsepower.....?

I was looking at a post that says i want 200 n/a and im thinking to myself if you had a short ram intake, exhaust, headers, 2.4 swap, stage 1 or 2 cams, forged pistons, nicer plugs wouldnt you be pushing 200 and a lil greater and if you put like a 55 shot on it but then again I guess hats f/i but yeah add up the other mods and let me know what you think you'll get thanx guys
Old 09-18-2008, 10:57 PM

def. possible.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 PM

you do not need "forged" pistons for a road car unless your putting out over 600 horsepower and a heavy shot of nitrous you dont need forged anything... way to expensive for road applications, id go intake exhuast stage kit, cams, wedged or concave shaped pistons pending on raising or lowering compression, ported combustion chamber, valve job. ull be haulin ass then
Old 09-18-2008, 11:28 PM

why shortram and not CAI?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:17 AM

shortram because I have a sai ( so aimd ebating can I put headers on and can i do the intake manifold swap with out any obstructions in the process my goal is like others is to get 200 n/a and with a nice nos shot beat some ss's no offense ..im a kid and only could afford a new ls
Old 09-19-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StrongIslandBalter
I was looking at a post that says i want 200 n/a and im thinking to myself if you had a short ram intake, exhaust, headers, 2.4 swap, stage 1 or 2 cams, forged pistons, nicer plugs wouldnt you be pushing 200 and a lil greater and if you put like a 55 shot on it but then again I guess hats f/i but yeah add up the other mods and let me know what you think you'll get thanx guys
no, your motor right now is making maybe 130WHP. Full exhaust and intake/manifold might give you 15 more HP. Cams another 15HP (generous) plugs dont add HP, forged pistons wont do anything unless you increase compression. so tune and high compression pistons, maybe 15 HP. But now you cant just add them up, HP doesnt add with mods. It the whole setup that determines the HP gains. An intake might give you 7HP and exhaust might give you 7 HP, that doesnt mean they give you 14 HP, it means individually if the other one wasnt there you will see 7 HP, but combined you might only see 10HP because both are breather mods that allow the engine to breath better. You might only be able to gain a total of 10HP by making the engine breath better, so if the exhaust gave you 7 HP, so the intake will only give you 3 HP.

With all the mods you listed, i would be suprised if you saw more than 165WHP.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:00 AM

Get Eagle Rods also
Old 09-19-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyeljefe
you do not need "forged" pistons for a road car unless your putting out over 600 horsepower and a heavy shot of nitrous you dont need forged anything... way to expensive for road applications, id go intake exhuast stage kit, cams, wedged or concave shaped pistons pending on raising or lowering compression, ported combustion chamber, valve job. ull be haulin ass then
This is just inaccurate. L61 pistons are known to fail in the 240-270hp range.
Forged pistons are not "way to expensive" for road applications, ypoiu can pick up quality pistons for the ECO around $400 if you look around and you'd be hard pressed to spend more than $700 for CUSTOM FORGED pistons. Not to mention good luck trying to find an aftermarket cast piston in anything other than stock(and you probably wont even find that)
If you replace pistons in an ECO, you put in forged ones. As far as the 600hp AND a heavy nitrous hit, well aty that point youd need a new crank, rods, pistons, and cylinder liners.

And why on earth would you put LOWER compression pistons in an NA build?

Originally Posted by StrongIslandBalter
With those mods, yeah youre likely to get to 200 CRANK hp with a tune.

To go beyond 200crank hp and get 200 to the wheels which is what the other thread is about, youll need higher compression pistons and head work.

Last edited by Maven; 09-19-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-19-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
youd do it cause you dont know what your doing ha ha ha or you listened to someone who doesnt know what they are doing
Old 09-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forged pistons are not "way to expensive" for road applications, ypoiu can pick up quality pistons for the ECO around $400 if you look around and you'd be hard pressed to spend more than $700 for CUSTOM FORGED pistons. Not to mention good luck trying to find an aftermarket cast piston in anything other than stock(and you probably wont even find that)
If you replace pistons in an ECO, you put in forged ones. As far as the 600hp AND a heavy nitrous hit, well aty that point youd need a new crank, rods, pistons, and cylinder liners.
i'm paying $650 for my forged 9:1's w/ pins, and $875 for my rods

Originally Posted by freakta
youd do it cause you dont know what your doing ha ha ha or you listened to someone who doesnt know what they are doing
maybe the guy got confused and was reading about a f/i car lowering compression and thought it was n/a

Last edited by EXsoccer1921; 09-19-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-19-2008, 12:20 PM

With those mods, yeah youre likely to get to 200 CRANK hp with a tune.

To go beyond 200crank hp and get 200 to the wheels which is what the other thread is about, youll need higher compression pistons and head work.
lower compression and stuffing more air will give you more torque..... hello and ok ill with the cast piston ill just call up and ******* manufactureing and tell them to build me one..... dont get stuck in aftermarket scams buddy you can do **** cheap you rlly dont need forged.... yes its durable and strong but for 200hp is kinda rediculious
Old 09-19-2008, 12:22 PM

why not just have your own titanium rotating assembly made, lighten everything up and go have some revv happy fun
Old 09-19-2008, 12:24 PM

still expensive forr 200 horsepower you might as well just pay a computer nerd to tune your car to rev alot higher and just redo your computer
Old 09-19-2008, 12:56 PM

still expensive forr 200 horsepower you might as well just pay a computer nerd to tune your car to rev alot higher and just redo your computer
You can't just do that and call it a night.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well. to the OP. if you want 200 on a 2.2L. your gonna need some engine work. plain and simple. so for the money youre gonna spend to pull most of the engine and the work thats gonna be done to it. why not shoot for higher than 200?? youre definitely gonna need new pistons with about an 11:1 ratio. ported head, i'ld go with comp stage2 cams, intake, full exhaust, larger injectors, awesome tune. and if you want you can replace the sleeves and run a 75 shot
Old 09-19-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm too JDM for you

lower compression and stuffing more air will give you more torque..... hello and ok ill with the cast piston ill just call up and ******* manufactureing and tell them to build me one..... dont get stuck in aftermarket scams buddy you can do **** cheap you rlly dont need forged.... yes its durable and strong but for 200hp is kinda rediculious
your an idiot. you want that combustion chamber to have as much compression as possible. when the air/fuel mixture is ignited it expands rapidly forcing the piston down. more compression makes power on NA.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
your an idiot. you want that combustion chamber to have as much compression as possible. when the air/fuel mixture is ignited it expands rapidly forcing the piston down. more compression makes power on NA.
i know how it works buddy..... i go to auto tech school. but lowering compressions and stuffing more air will give you more torque.... of course your going to have to make a shorter stoke for this to work but it will be very rewarding maybe not a good idea for a 2.2 cuz it has no forced induction but he was saying he was thinking about it....it would be a good idea raiseing compression give you more high end horsepower. so don't call me an idiot when i go to school everyday for this ****.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:19 PM

Not true. Higher compression equates to higher cylinder pressure and creates more torque. Stuffing more air in is a function of the top end, not the bottom.

You will pay the same if not more for a cast hyper or hypo piston than you will for a forged set just because of economy of scale.

Reliability is another issue, you are changing out the cast stockers, why you wouldn't replace them with something more reliable is mind boggling.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:25 PM

why bother with this when u can go turbo for probly the same price if not cheaper if you make your own kit... just doesnt seem to worth it to me to go through the work to make the 2.2l over 200 to the wheels but to each their own i guess
Old 09-19-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm too JDM for you

i know how it works buddy..... i go to auto tech school. but lowering compressions and stuffing more air will give you more torque.... maybe not a good idea for a 2.2 cuz it has no forced induction but he was saying he was thinking about it....it would be a good idea raiseing compression give you more high end horsepower. so don't call me an idiot when i know how it works better than you do. i go to school everyday for this ****.
so do i buddy, i go to UTI. and i hope you have noticed that the hahn turbocharged lsj made 440whp and 290tq with low compression pistons(like 8 to 1) while paul in ny made 420+whp and 365 torque if i remember correctly. your wrong, lower compression does not give more torque. low compression pistons on a NA build is retarded
Old 09-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
Not true. Higher compression equates to higher cylinder pressure and creates more torque. Stuffing more air in is a function of the top end, not the bottom.

You will pay the same if not more for a cast hyper or hypo piston than you will for a forged set just because of economy of scale.

Reliability is another issue, you are changing out the cast stockers, why you wouldn't replace them with something more reliable is mind boggling.
wen did i say anything about BTC? compression kinda occurs at TDC we all know this.... fordged is just alot more expensive in my mind... cast steel will do the same thing.. were not building a ******* race car here.... if your running strickly strip then go for it go forged.... **** breaks the same anyways... have you seen an engine blow up.... its all the same. were talking about a daily driven car. 2.2 liter not much to do on the performance side in the first place.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
so do i buddy, i go to UTI. and i hope you have noticed that the hahn turbocharged lsj made 440whp and 290tq with low compression pistons(like 8 to 1) while paul in ny made 420+whp and 365 torque if i remember correctly. your wrong, lower compression does not give more torque. low compression pistons on a NA build is retarded
agreed.. and on an n/a build with your arguement of lower compression and just forcing more air into it... how the hell are you going to orce the air into it? shorter stroke sure but still isnt going to compensate for lowering the compresion.. just doesnt make sence high compresion is the key for a n/a build imo
Old 09-19-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 0redline6
why bother with this when u can go turbo for probly the same price if not cheaper if you make your own kit... just doesnt seem to worth it to me to go through the work to make the 2.2l over 200 to the wheels but to each their own i guess
agreed!...you can pick up a turbo balt for like 22k and will smoke a modded 2.2 any day...
but dont get me wrong, i love my 2.2
Old 09-19-2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by KyleMinnis
agreed!...you can pick up a turbo balt for like 22k and will smoke a modded 2.2 any day...
but dont get me wrong, i love my 2.2
i was talking about putting a turbo on his 2.2l lol it will be ALOT better imo and cheaper if you build the kit by yourself
Old 09-19-2008, 01:40 PM

wen did i say anything about BTC? compression kinda occurs at TDC we all know this.... fordged is just alot more expensive in my mind... cast steel will do the same thing.. were not building a ******* race car here.... if your running strickly strip then go for it go forged.... **** breaks the same anyways... have you seen an engine blow up.... its all the same. were talking about a daily driven car. 2.2 liter not much to do on the performance side in the first place.
I have no idea what you are trying to say but I'll take a stab.

Nobody said anything about BTC? You stated lower compression and stuff more air in. We are talking about an NA engine, good luck getting much higher air pressure than ambient. Lower compression pistons do not stuff more air in, thats a function of the top end of the engine.

Cast steel pistons? Pistons are made from alluminum.

Again you are changing the pistons as it is, forged units are available for the same if not less than a cast set, other than piston slap (I have run forged pistons in multiple ecotecs without slap) I fail to see any benefit of staying with a cast hyper piston.

Quick Reply: Total Horsepower.....?