2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Total Horsepower.....?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok look i was just giving him ideas then i said one thing about lower compression... which if you know what your doing you can make it work. but this is getting retarded. i suggested it but i also ******* suggested raising his compression yes it would be a lot better for his ******* application. i just dont rlly get why ppl want to invest so much money in a 2.2liter 4 cylinder. your gonna spend about 3 grand and only get out with mid 200 horsepower its not worth it. i tried to explain my theory to one person and everyone jumps on my case. im about to start working on a 76 camaro 350- makeing it a 383 and twin turbo.. lowering compression in a 8 cylinder makes more sense than on a 4... but it can work so how bout we all agree on this **** got way blown out of proportion
Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 PM

I agree, just turbo it and call it a day. F/I is more fun anyways.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joeyeljefe
ok look i was just giving him ideas then i said one thing about lower compression... which if you know what your doing you can make it work. but this is getting retarded. i suggested it but i also ******* suggested raising his compression yes it would be a lot better for his ******* application. i just dont rlly get why ppl want to invest so much money in a 2.2liter 4 cylinder. your gonna spend about 3 grand and only get out with mid 200 horsepower its not worth it. i tried to explain my theory to one person and everyone jumps on my case. im about to start working on a 76 camaro 350- makeing it a 383 and twin turbo.. lowering compression in a 8 cylinder makes more sense than on a 4... but it can work so how bout we all agree on this **** got way blown out of proportion
your theory just doesn't make sense. and i can see why you are lowering the compression in the 383 because you are boosting it. the reason you lower compression in high boosted applications is because the boost pressure is forcing so much air into the cylinder and the air has no where to go with that much compression, which in turn is why the rods always bend/break and give out.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
I have no idea what you are trying to say but I'll take a stab.

Nobody said anything about BTC? You stated lower compression and stuff more air in. We are talking about an NA engine, good luck getting much higher air pressure than ambient. Lower compression pistons do not stuff more air in, thats a function of the top end of the engine.

Cast steel pistons? Pistons are made from alluminum.

Again you are changing the pistons as it is, forged units are available for the same if not less than a cast set, other than piston slap (I have run forged pistons in multiple ecotecs without slap) I fail to see any benefit of staying with a cast hyper piston.
i said lower compressions and stuff more air in.... as forced induction im talking about a **** load of air though..... stroke the **** thats my theory. yaya i know no steel pistons somone said something about it i got confused sry. damn yall are all so ******* sensitive ****. ya and if you can get forged cheap do it i didnt say anything about slaping either.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 PM

i said lower compressions and stuff more air in.... as forced induction im talking about a **** load of air though..... stroke the **** thats my theory. yaya i know no steel pistons somone said something about it i got confused sry. damn yall are all so ******* sensitive ****. ya and if you can get forged cheap do it i didnt say anything about slaping either.
The OP stated it was an NA build.

You are the one using foul language to try to get your point across but I'm the one thats sensitive?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
The OP stated it was an NA build.

You are the one using foul language to try to get your point across but I'm the one thats sensitive?
sry for foul language... kinda dont really notice it. im one of those ppl who use it alot.. and ok i mis-read i thought this was a diffrent thread about somone saying they wanted to get a turbo kit for there 2.2. SORRY EVERYONE ****....... hah. but to the op might as well just get a turbo kit... that twin turbo kit pretty ******* insain.... about the only way you can rlly get any power from a 4 cylinder

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
your theory just doesn't make sense. and i can see why you are lowering the compression in the 383 because you are boosting it. the reason you lower compression in high boosted applications is because the boost pressure is forcing so much air into the cylinder and the air has no where to go with that much compression, which in turn is why the rods always bend/break and give out.
then i guess ill need forged then haha.

Last edited by Joeyeljefe; 09-19-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-19-2008, 01:55 PM

sry for foul language... kinda dont really notice it. im one of those ppl who use it alot.. and ok i mis-read i thought this was a diffrent thread about somone saying they wanted to get a turbo kit for there 2.2. SORRY EVERYONE ****....... hah. but to the op might as well just get a turbo kit... that twin turbo kit pretty ******* insain.... about the only way you can rlly get any power from a 4 cylinder
I agree.

The only case where I can see building an NA 4 banger (higher dome pistons and high overlap, long duration cams) is to run nitrous as an adder.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:58 PM

its so funny to read posts now that since most of the actually knowledgeable people have left the site.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by campo165
its so funny to read posts now that since most of the actually knowledgeable people have left the site.
Who left that successfully builds bottom ends?
Old 09-19-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue_Balt
You can't just do that and call it a night.
Sure you can, it would be all over.....good night engine.

lower compression and stuffing more air will give you more torque..... hello and ok ill with the cast piston ill just call up and ******* manufactureing and tell them to build me one..... dont get stuck in aftermarket scams buddy you can do **** cheap you rlly dont need forged.... yes its durable and strong but for 200hp is kinda rediculious
Compression itself has nothing to do wityh torque. torque is a function of cylinder combustion pressure. Yeah you should just call up a manufacturer, thats what everybody else who wants custom pistons does. Expect to payabout $170 a piece for forged pistons with rings and pins. You cant make a statement like 200hp engines dont need forged pistons, 200hp by itself gives us no idea of the kind of forces the pistons are dealing with and therefore how strong theyd need to be

wen did i say anything about BTC? compression kinda occurs at TDC we all know this.... fordged is just alot more expensive in my mind... cast steel will do the same thing.. were not building a ******* race car here.... if your running strickly strip then go for it go forged.... **** breaks the same anyways... have you seen an engine blow up.... its all the same. were talking about a daily driven car. 2.2 liter not much to do on the performance side in the first place.
BTC? Its B D C and you didnt mention and no one else mentioned TDC either. Forged is more expensive in your mind, thats correct. Its in in your mind. Steel? WTF? If forged pistons pistons broke the same as cast pistons why would everyone, and I mean EVERYONE making truly big power be using them? is it a scam from the aftermarket?

Stroke that ****, thats your theory? Just a few posts ago you said that you would "need to make a shorter stroke for this to work". Which is it? stroke it or detroke it? Why would EITHER be required for lower compression and forced induction, or higher compression and NA for that matter?

You go to school everyday??? You need to pay more attention chief.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:02 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Maven
BTC? Its B D C and you didnt mention and no one else mentioned TDC either. Forged is more expensive in your mind, thats correct. Its in in your mind. Steel? WTF? If forged pistons pistons broke the same as cast pistons why would everyone, and I mean EVERYONE making truly big power be using them? is it a scam from the aftermarket?

You go to school everyday??? You need to pay more attention chief.
After reading this whole thread i believe he thought top end meant TDC instead of top end meaning cylinder head and then he jumped off the handle on Witt and maven straightened his ass out

if your still in school learning, please dont discredit those that have been in the industry for many years...Witt(been around), Maven(gm tech), myself(former Lead tech, currently a emissions controls engineer for combustion systems)

I read all these posts that get heated and laugh, look at some of these guys join dates, ive been around since day one and joined when i bought my car... expirience with these engines, that matters...hence why some of the more expirienced members try to help, much to the upset of newer, younger members
Old 09-19-2008, 06:29 PM

wow iam sorry for starting an argument i just wanted to ask a question i guess that im impulsive so i rather buy parts for like 600-700 at a time instead of going 3500 for a turbo but if i turbo it its gonna make it a non daily driver right? it will kill the engine faster
Old 09-19-2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by StrongIslandBalter
wow iam sorry for starting an argument i just wanted to ask a question i guess that im impulsive so i rather buy parts for like 600-700 at a time instead of going 3500 for a turbo but if i turbo it its gonna make it a non daily driver right? it will kill the engine faster
It is very possible to have a turbo daily driver build.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StrongIslandBalter
You didn start an argument. You asked a pefrectly legitimate question and two things happened 1:ignorance was expressed. and 2. the bias towards forced induction on this site kicked in and attempted to belittle wanting or needing to run naturally aspirated. I dont think Ive seen too many threads involving NA power questions that dont get at least one "get blown" type response. If you want to run NA, go for it, theres enough guys on this site that would be more than happy to answer any queries youve got or give a hand in any way they can, just be prepared for the barrage of "your wasting your time/money" posts and youll be fine........Individuality is great, isnt it awesome that we can all do exactly what we want and not get flamed for it, well unless your individual tastes are different than the tastes of 3/4's of this site members who are all so individual that they all do the same **** and perform the same mods, to the point that they are no longer being unique, they are just a big mob yelling "thats not how you do it, be unique, LIKE US"

Theres a Scion commerical that reminds me so much of this and actually points it out, its a whole shitload of "unique" Scions rolling through the desert to hang out, they all have wheels and body kits and gawdy graphics, an emcee gets on the mic and says something like "it is that which makes us different that brings us together" I laugh everytime I see it, we are all so different that we are now one big group thats all the same.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 PM

I dont know all that much but all that sounds way more time consuming then just adding a supercharger. You guys know way way more about engines so it may not be hard to install forged pistons and whatnot for you lol. But for me, forget about it.