2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Tranny talk

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny talk

It's that time guys. I hane an '07 LS going under the knife and was curious as to what I can use for a good trans? A used F35? I know that there are several compatibility issues using LSJ or LNF components on a L61... but I am dedicated to the car. Any suggestions? From my buddy that works at a trans shop our stock trannies are not worth the $$$ to build. I am netting an easy 400whp up to 550. Halp, and thanks.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:28 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
maybe use an automatic and put a higher stall in it. Also, tranny cooler and a good tune.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you managed to get 400-550? (don't know how much hp you have?) and you don't know about trannies.

cryo the tranny you should be good. I don't know enough to say wether or not the f53 will bolt up to your block. it may, it may not.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
F35 will not bolt up. Different bolt pattern or something . If you have the money for a 400 HP 2.2 Cobalt then you should either cryo the F23 or look in the build book to see what GM used.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 AM

u got some beast eh? lol
Old 12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm old school

I am going to assume you have a manual trans to start with. You would not be able to go automatic without a completely new ECM/TCM electrical system, so I am also going to assume you are staying with the manual.

To be honest, you really only need a good overhauled unit from a decent performance trans shop. What you are going to need a good clutch.

Now any Cobalt trans will bolt up to the bell housing of any Cobalt Ecotec engine. But the crankshafts are different. So with an L61 engine, you would have a 6 bolt crank. The LSJ's and LNF's have 8 bolt cranks. That will be the factor you need to consider when getting your clutch.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
I am going to assume you have a manual trans to start with. You would not be able to go automatic without a completely new ECM/TCM electrical system, so I am also going to assume you are staying with the manual.

To be honest, you really only need a good overhauled unit from a decent performance trans shop. What you are going to need a good clutch.

Now any Cobalt trans will bolt up to the bell housing of any Cobalt Ecotec engine. But the crankshafts are different. So with an L61 engine, you would have a 6 bolt crank. The LSJ's and LNF's have 8 bolt cranks. That will be the factor you need to consider when getting your clutch.
Heh, good to see here that you guys are sharp; more info I will give.

Have not started the build yet, But working on getting bills and other things in order so I can start to. Car is a stock 2007 LS currently. I am buying all parts slowly and figured might as well wait to have everything I need and then start the tear down. 5 lug swap, suspension, everything will not take place until everything is done so that it can go underneath the knife one time. All good parts, no dicking around with other issues until the time comes. I am sure that (from the research) a sizable L61 is very do able. Everyone does seem to go auto though. i just REALLY would like to stay MT though. This car is not going to go in a straight line and I would miss it too much. The last peice to get together would be the trans issue. Like I said a shop that locally messes with building trannys has said that an F23 would not be worth building. Not enough room to really mess with larger/stonger inout/output shafts. GM went C4 auto for anything over 350HP which I wouldn't mind for a drag strip car which this is NOT. Can anyone link me to some info to read up on 'cryo' ing a trans?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Halfcent

Well, just about anything can be fabbed. Maybe an adapter could be used. Thanks for the great info.

Last edited by SlowShifter; 12-10-2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
F35 will not bolt up. Different bolt pattern or something . If you have the money for a 400 HP 2.2 Cobalt then you should either cryo the F23 or look in the build book to see what GM used.
different flywheel bolt up from what i hear (maybe cluth along with that?) MVP talked to fidanza/spec into making the flywheels so you could bolt them up. i thot the blocks were the same?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Jn2

you woudl need a custom clutch and custom flywheel, some comapnies will make them, but they will make them in bulk only, so you have to buy that "bulk" i think someone said you would have to buy 10 of them, i dont remember exact figures, but the best thing to do if you a 5spd is upgrade your clutch to a stgIII, cryo your tranny, get a LSD from Quaife, upgrade the axels to the stage II's and you set

http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...dcategory=5615

all that plus a cryo and u got urself a pretty bullet proof car(consider you keep it a street car)

all that fits the stock tranny a tranny shop can easily put it all on, and if you have it all at once, you can get it all installed at the same time to save on labor
Old 12-10-2008, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jn2
you woudl need a custom clutch and custom flywheel, some comapnies will make them, but they will make them in bulk only, so you have to buy that "bulk" i think someone said you would have to buy 10 of them, i dont remember exact figures, but the best thing to do if you a 5spd is upgrade your clutch to a stgIII, cryo your tranny, get a LSD from Quaife, upgrade the axels to the stage II's and you set

all that plus a cryo and u got urself a pretty bullet proof car(consider you keep it a street car)

all that fits the stock tranny a tranny shop can easily put it all on, and if you have it all at once, you can get it all installed at the same time to save on labor
Thanks for the links, but do you have any links about actually cryoing the tranny? I am oldschoold and completely unfamiliar with this process.

bumpo for this here arsehole

Last edited by SlowShifter; 12-10-2008 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm old school

You should not have to buy a custom clutch. I have seen 6-bolt performance clutches out there.

Here is my advice for actually doing your build. Buy yourself a core powertrain. You can get engines for about $500. I don't know about the trans, but probably the same. Build the whole thing on a stand and take your time. That way, if anything goes wrong or you get delayed, you can still drive you car around in the mean time.

"Cryo"-ing a trans is a metal process where the parts are individually strenghtened by freezing them in liquid nitrogen. It's actually a lot like tempering or heat treating, except using cold. Here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qHPAeg6-x4

Last edited by Halfcent; 12-10-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Jn2

^^^^^^^^^^^^what he said
basically cryo-ing makes the metal stronger, the molecules or aroms or some **** are packed closer to eacho ther after they are thawd out, when something is denser it is harder and stonger than it was before you can you tube the process for a real explination, thats how i learned about it