2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

turbo 2.2... auto?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo 2.2... auto?

Ok, so i've got an 07' LS as well as my 06 SS/SC. I was wondering if it would even be worth it to turbo it, because it's automatic? also, if it is worth it, how much more complicated is it, if any?? Thanks a bunch
Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Vin

Here we go again. God I hope someone provides a tune that works with the auto soon.

Ummm do some reading in this forum. Its been answered X10.

Last edited by Vin; 08-21-2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-21-2007, 08:46 AM

My advice, since you have both cars, is to make the SS a monster. Don't do anything that might be street legal for it. At the same time, just do basic bolt-ons to the LS. Having 2 cars is a beautiful thing because it gives you the opportunity to have a toy and a daily driver. Don't mess up that opportunity by potentially destroying both cars with complicated installs and things that aren't supposed to be there. There is much more stuff you can do to that SS. Put your money there.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:11 AM

well... I dont drive the LS myself, but it's in my name. It's my fiance's "toy"... like the SS/SC is to me. She's got another daily, and i've got a blazer extreme. Obviously, she's a very good driver, otherwise I wouldnt even consider a turbo. Sorry for posting something that's already been discussed, it's just difficult to scroll through pages and pages of stuff to find it. I guess that's why there's so many threads though.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Vin

Top of this forum ^

Sticky threads.

Read this: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/l61-turbo-super-forced-induction-information-thread-26325/

Just search for posts by Halfcent.........lol
Old 08-21-2007, 09:28 AM

I don't think it's a complete waste of money as the previous poster stated, but he was right in that you should be careful to have a backup car if you decide to mod your toys.
Obviously the SS/SC will mod easier and cheaper, and more reliably. (GM warranties up to stage 3 now in some places)
But a turbo LS versus an SS/SC would be freaking awesome.
Go for it. but make sure you have plenty of money to drop.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Vin

He said the LS isn't his car its his woman's. Shes better off with an SS S/C but if shes like most she wants an automatic.

GM made a huge mistake not supporting the automatic. The after market made an even more stupid mistake then that they don't support the automatic and they went into development knowing many people want to turbo the automatic!

Its totally frustrating IMO.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:19 PM

I guess i'll just wait around until some good tuning comes out. I might be waiting a while... but it's not killing her for now anyway, she can either save some money or do some cleanup mods... it'll be getting lowered w/ eibach sportlines this weekend so that's a step forward. And actually... she wants 5 speed... but I dont want the hassle of replacing a clutch.. I own a concrete pumping company to0... so i've got F250's sittin in the driveway that I could drive in worst case scenario. The turbo would just kinda be a project for her to learn a little more about cars with.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:02 PM

I think its worth it. Pick up a tranny cooler and dont go too agressive and i dont see it as being too hard on it without tuning ATM. That would fefinitely be the way to get your fiance to learn about cars. Its how i learned =P

If you can afford the garrett kit that comes with everything but tuning, i would go with that. I would then buy the same injectors that the alpha kit comes with and either HPTuners will support your car, or you can go with a piggyback like the AEM FIC. I would wait till we can confirm on the forums that the fic works tho =P I have a lot of confidence in AEM.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by monkeiboy
I don't think it's a complete waste of money as the previous poster stated, but he was right in that you should be careful to have a backup car if you decide to mod your toys.
Obviously the SS/SC will mod easier and cheaper, and more reliably. (GM warranties up to stage 3 now in some places)
But a turbo LS versus an SS/SC would be freaking awesome.
Go for it. but make sure you have plenty of money to drop.
I want to make it clear that it is not a waste of money to make an LS fast. I had a base model—even worse than the LS—and I did all sorts of stuff to improve it. I think it's great to customize any car.

I just think that you should make sure to evaluate whether the sleeper effect and the uniquness of a turbo LS is worth the potential sacrifice of a very good daily driver when that same money could turn an already fast SS SC into a ridiculously fast SS SC. I would spend the money making that SS SC my pet street monster and leave the LS for going to work everyday.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 PM

for 07 the base is the LS.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by The_Blur
I want to make it clear that it is not a waste of money to make an LS fast. I had a base model—even worse than the LS—and I did all sorts of stuff to improve it. I think it's great to customize any car.

I just think that you should make sure to evaluate whether the sleeper effect and the uniquness of a turbo LS is worth the potential sacrifice of a very good daily driver when that same money could turn an already fast SS SC into a ridiculously fast SS SC. I would spend the money making that SS SC my pet street monster and leave the LS for going to work everyday.

Yeah, it's not the question of whether it'd be worth making an "LS" fast... it's the question of an "automatic" LS that I was questioning. And as I said before, neither of the Balts that I have are daily drivers. I own them both. My Fiance drives the LS, and I drive the SS/SC. She's got another car that's her daily, and I've got an 02 Extreme Blazer, as well as 2 '06 F250's for work, so i've got another daily if somethin broke down... no biggie. I just didnt know how it would work out being an automatic car rather than manual.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:07 AM

honestly the kits out there have kind of small turbos from what i've seen, or maybe i'm mistaken. I believe they're small enough so that you wouldn't have problem with stock internals.
BUT WHEN/IF i do a turbo kit on my auto 07, i'll be making the kit myself. maybe using some of their piping/FMIC and what not, and using the AEM fuel/ignition control, i'll get a bigger garret turbo with an external wastegate.
Honestly, if you drive an automatic aftermarket turbo, you'll want to turbo your car no doubt.
I drove my brothers turbo grand am GT yesterday, and he was in a wrx impreza (impreza was manual, with some bolt ons) and my brothers grand am GT JUST has a turbo kit, no forged internals whatsoever, AND it's an auto, and i smoked the **** out of him in his own car =P

I slowed down at about 120, and he was about 10 lenghts behind me, i then asked
"Did you miss a gear" LOL
he replied with "...no"
auto turbos are worth the time if you make them work, look at the turbo monsters in the magazines, i beleieve the fastest WRX sti is an automatic (some magazine i've gotten)
Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please try a search.