2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Turbo by Garrett

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well since the thread is about a Garret turbo set up and not a Maximum boost set up, I'm not sure why everyone got off on a tangent about Maximum boost. The web page even clearly displayed www.turbobygarret.com.

Now onto the hp numbers. Not bad, but considering that these numbers are regularly seen on a STOCK SS S/C, I'm thoroughly unimpressed.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:33 PM

The actual Garrett kit that is supposed to come out for the 2.2 is based of of the gt28r disco potato which is an awesome turbo with an almost flat torque curve. That is what i am waiting for !!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
Well since the thread is about a Garret turbo set up and not a Maximum boost set up, I'm not sure why everyone got off on a tangent about Maximum boost. The web page even clearly displayed www.turbobygarret.com.

Now onto the hp numbers. Not bad, but considering that these numbers are regularly seen on a STOCK SS S/C, I'm thoroughly unimpressed.
The reason everyone is talking about the Maximum Boost setup is because garrett is pretty much outsourcing the project to them and not doing anywork themselves. As far as the numbers go tho, I am pretty impressed considering our engines only have 145 to begin will and being able to increase it by 85 by installing a turbo is quite significant. Yes the SS/SC are running around the same number but they have a supercharger which is just another form of forced induction so yes the numbers will be about the same. It just depends on if you want a supercharger or a turbo in which case i think most of the LS guys like me want the turbo to have something different than just copying the SS/SC not nessasarily to out perform them
Old 10-16-2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by biniecki
The reason everyone is talking about the Maximum Boost setup is because garrett is pretty much outsourcing the project to them and not doing anywork themselves. As far as the numbers go tho, I am pretty impressed considering our engines only have 145 to begin will and being able to increase it by 85 by installing a turbo is quite significant. Yes the SS/SC are running around the same number but they have a supercharger which is just another form of forced induction so yes the numbers will be about the same. It just depends on if you want a supercharger or a turbo in which case i think most of the LS guys like me want the turbo to have something different than just copying the SS/SC not nessasarily to out perform them
Well, that explains that.

I'm still not impressed by the numbers. yes 85 hp is a big gain, but those figures are already available in stock form for the Cobalt platform.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
Well, that explains that.

I'm still not impressed by the numbers. yes 85 hp is a big gain, but those figures are already available in stock form for the Cobalt platform.
but not for the base model they're not. I think ANYONE would love to have an 85 hp gain, doesn't matter what they're starting with... 85 hp is a lot
Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Switt23
Basically ... HP Tuners says they are working on it and will eventually get around to it. I don't mind because that gives me time to pay the car off first, but I know a lot of people are not so forgiving because they probably didn't have to finance the car.

*Hey Adam, remember when Maximum Boost tried to start a Group Buy on JBO? Haha they got flamed so fast it wasn't funny.
LOL that was funny. We all got in trouble cause of it too. But since he became a "legit" company as far as taxes go and the government, we weren't allowed to flame him.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by biniecki
You are correct as far as the outsourcing part.

But you guys have to understand something and this goes beyond this turbo kit but just in performance in general.

Never listen to advertised HP gains. Never listen to even someone with a certain part, even with an dyno #. You will not run the same kind of gains as someone else.

As far as this turbo kit advertising...I mean come on. You guys should know by now HP gains are relative to how the setup is done, how much PSI you're pushing, the turbo charger you're using, your a/f ratio and the list goes on. 9 PSI isn't going to = 90 HP if your a/f ratio is terribly off balance and your EGT levels are so high that your manifold is glowing.

There is alot of common sense you guys have to use when it comes to cars. It took me a while to catch onto that. It has less to do with this is fact and that is fact and more about common sense after you learn how things work. This isn't meant to rag on you guys at all cause I remember when I thought like that but just trying to give you a bit of insight.

Overall, we can atleast agree to stay away from this kit, for you own good.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The returnless fuel system problem...

Just a side note. One of the possibilities that Hahn Race Craft has been toying with for over a year now was converting the stock returnless system to a return type system that would make fuel pressure tuning more possible. It wouldn't be to hard really. The stock rail has a schrader valve on it that can have a return line attached to it.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Just a side note. One of the possibilities that Hahn Race Craft has been toying with for over a year now was converting the stock returnless system to a return type system that would make fuel pressure tuning more possible. It wouldn't be to hard really. The stock rail has a schrader valve on it that can have a return line attached to it.
Very true.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:51 AM

wtf is this...of all the places in the world it had to come back to maximum boost...ill just use a leaf blower with a vaccume tube and duct tape, same thing...will prolly fit better too
Old 10-19-2006, 02:04 AM

anyone think that theres a possibility that max boost finally got their **** together and stopped the ebay reselling? i mean there has to be a reason that a company like garrett lists them on their website.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
anyone think that theres a possibility that max boost finally got their **** together and stopped the ebay reselling? i mean there has to be a reason that a company like garrett lists them on their website.
keep dreaming...
Old 10-19-2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
I wish turbosaturns.net was up, there is a guy turbocharging a 2.2 and he actually converted back to a return line system. Even using an SAFC for tuning but only for low boost levels (5-6psi)....pretty neat what he was doing though.

actually heres the car domain page
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2401915
Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by BoltZ22
keep dreaming...
my way of thinking is that he cant be buying **** and reselling it off ebay if garrett is willing to actually admit to working with them

maybe he just did that during the early days of the business to get some funds in, even though it was a little shady. his prices are still pretty damn low though, so im a little suspicious.