2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Turbo kit for ours!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all of this is great info but untill the tune is released we are how do i put this?.......SCREWED
Old 07-21-2006, 03:35 PM

Tune is released?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by BaltMod
Tune is released?
ECU tuning software....turbo will work and fit but no tuning for ECU to run boost available yet
Old 07-21-2006, 04:34 PM

if you guys really wanted, you could setup an extra injector controller for extra fuel, but it's not always the most welcome idea for numerous reasons. I wouldn't run it above 280hp either but that's just me.

Balt is right, tuning is always going to make or break a setup, but I'm not understanding the animosity toward Hypsy.

that and why is nobody taking into account airflow characteristics of the turbo when asking "how many psi can it hold?" 15psi on a 14b is not the same as 15psi on a t3/to4e
Old 07-21-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by SIMMONS 2.0
ECU tuning software....turbo will work and fit but no tuning for ECU to run boost available yet
Well ask hypsy what they used to tune.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:43 PM

Well ask hypsy what they used to tune.
he has a cavalier, different ecu I believe
Old 07-21-2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by slowion2
Balt is right, tuning is always going to make or break a setup, but I'm not understanding the animosity toward Hypsy.

that and why is nobody taking into account airflow characteristics of the turbo when asking "how many psi can it hold?" 15psi on a 14b is not the same as 15psi on a t3/to4e
Thought it was just a discussion to me... I'll just rest my case with saying this: you run 17-20psi on anything that's designed originally as an NA motor, IF it can handle it, you WILL need to tune it to prevent a LOT of things, ultimately, blowing your motor. Bolting on a $3,000 turbo kit is not the end of it if you're trying to reach that much boost. There's a lot more to it than just bolting on a turbo.

hypsy: Nothing towards you dude, you did prove me wrong... somewhat. With as much tuning as your talking, I can see the car running as much boost as your talking, those are impressive numbers. But tuning played a big part, did it not? I was also accurate in saying that it does take it's toll on the motor. No animosity. Props to ya.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Thought it was just a discussion to me... I'll just rest my case with saying this: you run 17-20psi on anything that's designed originally as an NA motor, IF it can handle it, you WILL need to tune it to prevent a LOT of things, ultimately, blowing your motor. Bolting on a $3,000 turbo kit is not the end of it if you're trying to reach that much boost. There's a lot more to it than just bolting on a turbo.

hypsy: Nothing towards you dude, you did prove me wrong... somewhat. With as much tuning as your talking, I can see the car running as much boost as your talking, those are impressive numbers. But tuning played a big part, did it not? I was also accurate in saying that it does take it's toll on the motor. No animosity. Props to ya.
bingo, and most people do not understand that.

sorry if I misread your post, just has been the cool thing to jump Hypsy's **** lately, and I didn't see reason for it. If anyone on this board lived that close to Bill, he'd offer to help as much as he could too, he's that cool a guy.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:18 PM

Well him jumping in trying to make me look wrong in what I'm saying didn't rub me the right way. He proved me wrong in a way, and I admitted to that, but it veered off into something else that was beside my point. My last post was my point.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:10 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by slowion2
if you guys really wanted, you could setup an extra injector controller for extra fuel, but it's not always the most welcome idea for numerous reasons. I wouldn't run it above 280hp either but that's just me.

i agree and thats why i chose to go with an independent mod box....not the best thing to do but it will work for now.....although it is like $170 for like 15hp and thats what u can get if u have CAI and Catback already.....it simply alters the incoming sensors outputs minorly and there by give it a bit and i mean a bit...more fuel. it also ajust timing forward to increase hp there and then ajusts shift points and so on but again we need to be careful with these devices....i will go ahead and test it for us and wish me luck that i dont screw myself and that it actually works...if it does i let u know...if i dont see any big difference im gonna pull it out and i will let u know about that as well
Old 07-23-2006, 01:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These discussions are becoming repeatative, pointless and very argumentative.

BaltMod, I know you're having good intentions and I'm glad you realized that what you're arguing about with hypsy was besides the point. Atleast you're man enough to admit you proven wrong...most people here can't do the same.

slowion, you hit it on the head...people keep mentioning PSI without talking about the size or type of turbo they would be pushing that amount of PSI with...which, yes, makes a difference. Granted, I can understand if you're not as educated boost wise you wouldn't know the difference or know that it mattered so I don't blame some of the people on here, just try to offer help and point these things out.

Back to the orginal topic...

People, please do not buy the Maximum Boost kit. If you didn't know already, Maximum Boost is really a 1 man company ran by a kid named Frank McKeever (or some **** like that). He basically does no research and developement, he goes on ebay and buys universal parts...the only vehicle specific or motor specific parts he gets are the manifolds, other than that, the piping is totally universal etc. He even goes as far as buying the cheapest turbos known to man to include in his kit. At one time, he was telling people they were real Garrett turbos but I think he took the word "Garrett" off his site after he saw it was catching up to him. Even the blow off valve he uses is a Greddy Type-S knock off.

He cares nothing about his customers. He basically is a middle man between you and ebay. You're paying someone to shop on ebay and buy cheap and almost useless parts for you. How would you like to spend $3,000+ on a turbo setup that in actuality probably costed frank a little bit over a grand to put together and you STILL have to alter it to make it work 100% on your application? We've been through this with him on j-body.org which is why I know all about him. He's a leech on the tuner market and cares nothing about his customers cause if he did he wouldn't offer such unreliable and careless kits to the public.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
frank has already been banned from css.net. Search his name...that guys a bastard
Old 07-23-2006, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by sethallen
frank has already been banned from css.net. Search his name...that guys a bastard
x1 million
Old 07-23-2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
people keep mentioning PSI without talking about the size or type of turbo
Was talking about the T3 "style" on the 2.2 motor that comes in the $3,000 kit.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:08 PM

Was talking about the T3 "style" on the 2.2 motor that comes in the $3,000 kit.
I assumed you were talking about a T3 but...there are too many trims to just leave it as that. Also, the "style" is just referring to the flange type, there is are T3s and T3/T4 hybrids that use the same flange type.

If you're talking about the Maximum Boost Kit, those are supposed to be Super 60s but they are knock offs. I believe it's .48 a/r exhaust, .60 a/r comp.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:22 AM

for those of you who are turbo gurus... what is it that the ECU doesn't understand? The "boost" factor right?

The only car i've driven with turbo's is a supra, and even that car I wish were crushed into a cube after all the problems. I have like 0 knowlege on "turbo".
Old 07-26-2006, 12:45 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Correct. The stock ECM on the Cobalt is a one bar system. Neither the MAP sensor or the ECM would be able to recognize positive pressures.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kemo
for those of you who are turbo gurus... what is it that the ECU doesn't understand? The "boost" factor right?

The only car i've driven with turbo's is a supra, and even that car I wish were crushed into a cube after all the problems. I have like 0 knowlege on "turbo".
Gotta have knowledge of a turbo if you want it to last longer. Oh, and you can send yer Supra my way before you crush it.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:46 PM

honestly man, its nothing but problems Just doing a oil change on it ought to steer you clear of the car. You need joints in your forearm to do it comfortably. I've ruined a oil filter tryin to get it installed yesterday, but its a good thing we can call it a defect filter .

Toyota hasn't ever really figured out a GOOD place to put the oil filter. Their truck, its under the skid plate. On most cars, right underneith the exhaust manifold *OUCH*... many scars from them... and of course, the supra, just a challenge in its own. Then again, you have all these other problems with the car that i dont want to get started on... If the car can win you a race on a road course, kick ass! But there is no way in hell i'd help work on the car for the race
Old 07-27-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kemo
honestly man, its nothing but problems Just doing a oil change on it ought to steer you clear of the car. You need joints in your forearm to do it comfortably. I've ruined a oil filter tryin to get it installed yesterday, but its a good thing we can call it a defect filter .

Toyota hasn't ever really figured out a GOOD place to put the oil filter. Their truck, its under the skid plate. On most cars, right underneith the exhaust manifold *OUCH*... many scars from them... and of course, the supra, just a challenge in its own. Then again, you have all these other problems with the car that i dont want to get started on... If the car can win you a race on a road course, kick ass! But there is no way in hell i'd help work on the car for the race
What Mk Supra do you have? I've had a MkIII and a MkIV. And I loved them. As easily as it is to mod those things to make them ridiculously fast, anything is worth that. I never had an issue with them...
Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by RYCobaltSS
some of us just dont have the credit needed nore the huge ass down payment required with a low to mid credit rating inorder to hop into an ss/sc. and that being said...but not refering to you inparticular but alot of us dont have mommy and daddy anymore...ive been without for 3 yrs now and even when i had them aound the best car i could do was a 92 mazda 626. some of us just have to work with what we have, not saying i would fork out 3000 for a 50hp kit but more like 500 for a 75shot zex nitrous system or something with a lil more bang for my buck.
and there are the ones like me who do not need there mom or dad because nothing has been handed to me I work for everything and yes I am on my own, my credit is not perfect but I managed. It really upsets me when people see that you have a nice car that they automatically think your mommy and daddy bought it....
Old 07-27-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by blown06
and there are the ones like me who do not need there mom or dad because nothing has been handed to me I work for everything and yes I am on my own, my credit is not perfect but I managed. It really upsets me when people see that you have a nice car that they automatically think your mommy and daddy bought it....
+1 Got my credit cause I built it on my own.