2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

turbo and n2o....what internals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo and n2o....what internals?

I am considering doing the above, dunno what the psi range i will want to boost but i am thinking as high as 10-15psi to start
in addition, i would also like to add a 75 shot.
any thoughts on what pistons and rods to switch to?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blown Ecotec
I am considering doing the above, dunno what the psi range i will want to boost but i am thinking as high as 10-15psi to start
in addition, i would also like to add a 75 shot.
any thoughts on what pistons and rods to switch to?
No very much aftermarket for this motor yet. I know we have pistons but nothing else that I am aware of.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:14 AM
360 L337 User

many of the internals form the 2.0 will fir I believe? at least thats what I get from the build book.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Any internals from the 2.2L ecotec out of the cavalier will fit. The 2.0 wont work because it has a different crank, and rod lenght.

The 2.2L has pistons, forged rods, forged cranks, ARP haed studs, Copper head gaskets, Ferrea valve train, cams. Anything you want we can get
Check out the site for more info www.turbotechracing.com
Old 02-01-2006, 11:55 AM

10-15psi is pretty high to start out at, make sure you have those internals in first before your hitting 15psi lol
Old 02-01-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go for 7psi to start, then increase with tuning
Old 02-01-2006, 12:34 PM

im gonna start with a .4bar spring in my wastegate= 5.8psi, then you can always up it from there with a boost controller
Old 02-01-2006, 01:00 PM

well, i honestly wouldnt use nitrous at all if i was u, why not just do all boost instead and have a progressive boost controller to make the boost lower when you need it to be
Old 02-01-2006, 02:41 PM

the applications that i have had boosted have typically kicked in around 4k-ish rpm. if i were to use a turbo that can give boost at low rpm i would probably want to turn the boost completely off at times. i dont know of any way to do this. also getting to that 4k rpm would be a little easier with a nice nitrous setup.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:53 PM

ok, sorry if I'm just in a bad mood or whatever, but if you're going to ask a question like this, you definately need to give us more details than just "i'm going to run 15psi and 75 shot of nitrous."

1) what car
2) what motor
3) what turbo
4) what supporting mods
5) what tuning device (a/f, timing, etc.)
6) wet/dry nitrous
7) do you plan on staging boost/nitrous for a 1/4 mile?

you can't just turbo a car and shoot it with nitrous and hope to not blow anything up. nitrous itself is very dangerous unless you know what you are doing. turboing a non-turbo car is very difficult as well especially when it comes to tuning. i wouldn't worry so much about the internals, but worry more about the compression ratio (head gasket), head studs, adjusting air/fuel and getting enough fuel. then also worry about mixing the nitrous in with a forced induction setup. you can get great power gains, but its difficult to tune properly without killing yourself. also if you're going to put down a lot of power i would worry about how you plan on getting the wheels to stick to the ground too. there is a lot to worry about when doing this sort of heavy modification. just realize that you are going to spend tons of money...especially when things break. if you are clueless to most of the stuff I've mentioned, I beg you not to even bother trying this project.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:55 PM

well im not sure which turbo you are planning on using but i think the gt28rs would be an instant spool and the need for nitrous wouldnt be there, unless you plan on getting some giant turbo or something boost is all you need, also there is no way to turn it off, i think most turbos will not boost lower than 4 psi if that some even dont go lower than 6
Old 02-01-2006, 03:00 PM

instant spool on a gt28r? that is a relatively big turbo...turbo lag won't be long...but definately not instant. at least not on the ecotec motor.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:01 PM

well if a 1.8 celica motor can have that turbo boosting quickly then im sure a 2.2 or in my case a 2.4 motor shouldnt have a problem at least definately not enough to need a nitrous spool
Old 02-01-2006, 03:07 PM

the point of nitrous with a turbo setup is not to help spool the turbo...that is what a twincharge setup is for.
turbo = more air
nitrous = more fuel.
with the high amount of air you can get from a turbo the extra amount of fuel from the nitrous makes a lot of power.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty
the point of nitrous with a turbo setup is not to help spool the turbo...that is what a twincharge setup is for.
turbo = more air
nitrous = more fuel.
with the high amount of air you can get from a turbo the extra amount of fuel from the nitrous makes a lot of power.
nitrous is not a fuel by itself , it has to be mixed with gas and i disagree that nitrous is not supposed to spool the turbo thats all its good for imo
Old 02-01-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty
ok, sorry if I'm just in a bad mood or whatever, but if you're going to ask a question like this, you definately need to give us more details than just "i'm going to run 15psi and 75 shot of nitrous."

1) what car
2) what motor
3) what turbo
4) what supporting mods
5) what tuning device (a/f, timing, etc.)
6) wet/dry nitrous
7) do you plan on staging boost/nitrous for a 1/4 mile?

you can't just turbo a car and shoot it with nitrous and hope to not blow anything up. nitrous itself is very dangerous unless you know what you are doing. turboing a non-turbo car is very difficult as well especially when it comes to tuning. i wouldn't worry so much about the internals, but worry more about the compression ratio (head gasket), head studs, adjusting air/fuel and getting enough fuel. then also worry about mixing the nitrous in with a forced induction setup. you can get great power gains, but its difficult to tune properly without killing yourself. also if you're going to put down a lot of power i would worry about how you plan on getting the wheels to stick to the ground too. there is a lot to worry about when doing this sort of heavy modification. just realize that you are going to spend tons of money...especially when things break. if you are clueless to most of the stuff I've mentioned, I beg you not to even bother trying this project.
kay the point of this post is to let you know why i want to upgrade internals, now i want recommended internals
1) its a cobalt 2.2L
2) obviously an ecotec
3) the turbo isnt your concern, i asked for internals
4) supporting mods arent what i am after unless you are referring to internals
5) tuning device again isnt your concern, i asked for internals
6) wet nitrous
7) staging boost/nitrous? why does this matter for a ******* LIST OF INTERNALS

if you are in a bad mood, then stay out of the forums, last thing i need is some ******* telling me how to build my car when i asked for pistons and rods....as in manufacturers....
who the **** are you to tell me not to bother trying this project you condecending little know-it-all *****, i dont recall giving you any details of the build.

i would be putting out in the 300hp range without the nitrous oxide.
to those of you who have actually attempted to offer advice whether off topic or not, thank you.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
nitrous is not a fuel by itself , it has to be mixed with gas and i disagree that nitrous is not supposed to spool the turbo thats all its good for imo
agreed
Old 02-01-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't allow yourself to use the thread to pick a fight, cuz I won't be happy...

Now to answer your question;

Crower and Eagle make Rods, you will need those for sure. The Eagle rod is cheaper, and can handle just about any street application. Eagle rates them at 650HP, but I think that might be a little high. Stay under 500 with those. The crower rod is a drag engine rod, rated at over a 1000 HP. Expensive too.

Wiseco and GMPP(through JEPiston) make pistons. Here you are going to have to make a choice. Turbo, or Nitrous, or both? Are you staying street legal? Nitrous isn't. So if you are going just turbo, you want to use the Wiseco 8.9-1 reduced compression piston. Nitrous? Then you can use the Wiseco or the GMPP stock replacement 10-1 piston. (BTW, I have a set of those for sale if you are interested). Both? Well, now you are getting into a drag car application, and you would have to do some serious number planning.

Valve train. Lot of people are making parts for the ecotec. Springs, valve sets, cam, you just have to do a little looking, they are everywhere. I would personally recommend Ferrea for valves and springs. I don't like any of the cams right now.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:53 PM

I don't understand why everyone is complaining over the use of nitrous. Isn't nitrous in itself supposed to be used as an addition to a power adder? It can make great power when combined with turbo/supercharger even on a small shot. This not a 1000HP Supra, you are not going to be using nitrous to spool any turbo that is efficient for our application.

I would look into the pistons and rods that Halfcent suggested and start out with a smaller shot, like a 35 shot and work from there. Even on a small shot you should see some great gains. Turbo/Supercharger at 15psi + 75 shot is going to be some major power being put to the ground...that is going to take a WELL built engine.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:01 PM

my thing is, why use nitrous if you dont have to? just add on some more psi that will never need to be refilled and will give constant power for a fun everyday car/weekend track
Old 02-01-2006, 05:25 PM

ok heres the goal, road legal....only partially i guess...turbo for daily driver. nitrous in conjunction with turbo for some weekend fun. i have been looking at that 250hp figure for these cars for some time, actually planning this one as the last phase.
i personally love nitrous, i think it is the greatest thing in the world when it is set up nicely. if i had to chose between nitrous or turbo i would definitely chose nitrous hands down. but i also like using one with the other.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:26 PM

so i ammend you, i want eagle rods and some low compression pistons, have heard nothing but good things
Old 02-01-2006, 05:27 PM

sorry, low compression wiseco pistons
Old 02-01-2006, 05:28 PM

today is brainfart day
Old 02-01-2006, 05:30 PM

well from what ive heard 250hp is a stage 1 turbo kit, thats actually the limit on stock 2.2 engines and im hoping its the limit on the 2.4's as well

Quick Reply: turbo and n2o....what internals?