2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Turbo questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo questions!!!

hey guys/girls. i have a question!!!! If I were to buy a Garret Alpha Turbo kit plus, for my 2007 cobalt ls, is that bassically everything i need ??? is that all i need, like it if i instal everything thats in that kit will it run correctly on like 5lbs boost right off the bat or what

help is greatly appriciated

mike

Last edited by YellowL61; 08-15-2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by YellowL61
hey guys/girls. i have a question!!!! If I were to buy a Garret Alpha Turbo kit plus, for my 2007 cobalt ls, is that bassically everything i need ??? is that all i need, like it if i instal everything thats in that kit will it run correctly on like 5lbs boost right off the bat or what

help is greatly appriciated

mike
That kit, as well as every other kit it seems, does not work out of the box for us 07's.

Everything fits up right, but the tuning that comes with those won't work.

You can however get trifecta tuning now for 07's, which is awesome.

I would suggest the hahn turbo kit because it's the one trifecta is more experienced at, but all in all, they're basically the same. Tuning is $250 with $200 deposit for the pda.

I should know, I'm going that route myself.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sentry
That kit, as well as every other kit it seems, does not work out of the box for us 07's.

Everything fits up right, but the tuning that comes with those won't work.

You can however get trifecta tuning now for 07's, which is awesome.

I would suggest the hahn turbo kit because it's the one trifecta is more experienced at, but all in all, they're basically the same. Tuning is $250 with $200 deposit for the pda.

I should know, I'm going that route myself.
what is the difference between the garrett kit and the hahn kit?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
they are the same kit, they worked together to make it, and for the 07 you can either have vince at trifeca make you a 07 tune, which he should be able to since he has all the mapping anf **** from mkurley...who is a 06, just has to convert them over to your 07 ecm...that or go to a shop and go thru some dyno tuning...they have to use Ls2 edit though
Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM

ok so niether the hahn or the garret will work out of the box??? what else will i need
Old 08-15-2008, 04:20 PM

a big thing you should get is a AEM UEGO Wideband!
and oil press gauge
Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge
3 gauge piller
oil catch can

them are what i would be a good thing to get before the instal!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:25 PM

I have a Garrett Alpha kit for my cobalt 2.2l. And Im getting it installed next week. I can't wait!! but yes, everything you need is in the kit.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by YellowL61
ok so niether the hahn or the garret will work out of the box??? what else will i need
I think you're still confused. Either kit will work, it doesn't matter, they're the same kit from different sites.

The SCT live tune that they give you won't work for your 07 ecm. You need to email Vince at Trifecta to get him to custom do a 07 ecm tune for that kit.

Other than that, a wideband would be highly reccomended, oh and a spare car in case it goes wrong!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by El Mariachi
I have a Garrett Alpha kit for my cobalt 2.2l. And Im getting it installed next week. I can't wait!! but yes, everything you need is in the kit.
Actially your wrong!

when it comes down to a turbo build you need whats called an oil catch can. UNLESS you want free undercoating....
with a turbo build you have access oil build up witch will hurt the bottom end, the way you can get rid of this is having a whole taped on the head. in that case you are letting oild spray out in your engine bay, (my buddies talon did it all the time)
or you can get whats called an oil catch can that catchs the oil and returns it to the bottom end.
Also a BIG thing you should have is an Oil Pressure Gauge. with out it, how do you know you have good oil pressure and with a turbo you dont wanna starve it of oil!
and one more really good thing to have is an Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge! this will help you from hurting your car and will tell you long before ANYTHIS else will!

so yea the kits are not really a kit, and anyone who is big into the turbo world and has good amounts of boost will tell you that.
3 friends of mine that have over 500whp in one civic, and 2 integeras have told me this about kits.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:02 PM

wow thanks guys just wondering
Old 08-16-2008, 03:14 PM

WIDEBAND is a must. To lean by by motor to rich you'll be fowling out plugs and running like crap. Also even though you are on a stock motor I would recommend upgrading your fuel injectors and getting a higher volume fuel pump. Tuning becomes a little easier with those two upgrades so that your not maxing out your stock injectors. If your not a big fan of gauge pods there are many Wideband monitors out there that will display your EGT Wideband and other things etc all on one display and can even be plugged into your laptop for data logging your runs. Also the catch can is a big thing as well. Really not hard to install. Find a place to mount it, run a line from your breather to the can and then make a T back into your oil return line. All in all there is no such thing as a bolt on ready to go turbo kit for any car if you do it right. Take your time get it tuned and keep it monitored and you'll be happy in the long run.

Last edited by CobaltTSX; 08-16-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 08-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by pykie
Actially your wrong!

when it comes down to a turbo build you need whats called an oil catch can. UNLESS you want free undercoating....
with a turbo build you have access oil build up witch will hurt the bottom end, the way you can get rid of this is having a whole taped on the head. in that case you are letting oild spray out in your engine bay, (my buddies talon did it all the time)
or you can get whats called an oil catch can that catchs the oil and returns it to the bottom end.
Also a BIG thing you should have is an Oil Pressure Gauge. with out it, how do you know you have good oil pressure and with a turbo you dont wanna starve it of oil!
and one more really good thing to have is an Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge! this will help you from hurting your car and will tell you long before ANYTHIS else will!

so yea the kits are not really a kit, and anyone who is big into the turbo world and has good amounts of boost will tell you that.
3 friends of mine that have over 500whp in one civic, and 2 integeras have told me this about kits.
Good Point
There's much more to a turbo build then just bolting on a "Kit"
Don't forget the new stage 2 clutch your going to need to support all that extra Hp. The alpha kit does work with stock exhaust but they recommend you go with a free-flowing 3" System so add that to your total build cost. The intake manifold on a 2.2 is a two piece glued together and IMO not good enough for FI so that should be repaced as well. The list just goes on and on

I wanted to buy the garrett alpha turbo but I think I'm better off just trading my car for a SS/SC or TC
Old 08-16-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by pacific cobalt
Good Point
There's much more to a turbo build then just bolting on a "Kit"
Don't forget the new stage 2 clutch your going to need to support all that extra Hp. The alpha kit does work with stock exhaust but they recommend you go with a free-flowing 3" System so add that to your total build cost. The intake manifold on a 2.2 is a two piece glued together and IMO not good enough for FI so that should be repaced as well. The list just goes on and on

I wanted to buy the garrett alpha turbo but I think I'm better off just trading my car for a SS/SC or TC
Yeah, that's a good point.

New exhaust system. ~$400
2.4L Intake Manifold is a must if you wanna see some awesome gains from the turbo. ~$350
Old 08-16-2008, 04:19 PM

I have a new exhast system already and I got the Spec stage 2 clutch I already know about everything else I need to do... but over all I got the basics right now, once I have to money Im going to then do the 2.4 mani swap. the 2.2 will be fine for right now. and of course the brake system need to be redone.

the car will be fine
Old 08-16-2008, 05:37 PM

when i went to buy my clutch, the guy said to me, dont listen to that Stage crap, that means nothing.
i am looking to build sometime in the near futur a 500+hp cobalt, alreay spend close to 10 grand for everything, and looking at about an other 5 to 10 more!
so anyways back tot he clutch.. he said for the power you are looking at you need 220% OVER stock grabbing power, so hats what i would do when your looking into a clutch, but like you said you have a "stage" two
Old 08-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Actially your wrong!

Do you even know what your talking about The Garrett/Hahn "kit" is just that. Comes with everything down to bolts and washers needed for the install. I have this "kit" and its one of the best turbo setups ive seen. Very clean, Runs amazing and the 10lbs of constant boost puts a smile on my face every time. I'm sitting at 239/249 and loving every min of it. So please done DIS kits are the ones for the cobalt are just plain perfect!.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkulrey13
Do you even know what your talking about The Garrett/Hahn "kit" is just that. Comes with everything down to bolts and washers needed for the install. I have this "kit" and its one of the best turbo setups ive seen. Very clean, Runs amazing and the 10lbs of constant boost puts a smile on my face every time. I'm sitting at 239/249 and loving every min of it. So please done DIS kits are the ones for the cobalt are just plain perfect!.

Can't read the lettering -- did the catch-can on your engine come with the kit too?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 PM

i dont even see a catch can on his build
Old 08-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red07SSNA
Can't read the lettering -- did the catch-can on your engine come with the kit too?
no Its the 20$ home depot mod. Works wonders its amazing.

i dont even see a catch can on his build
Its the can attached to the hose comming from the cover. hard to mis!

Last edited by mkulrey13; 08-16-2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-16-2008, 08:30 PM

no Its the 20$ home depot mod. Works wonders its amazing.

Its the can attached to the hose comming from the cover. hard to mis!
oh thats tiny!!! mines HUGE lol
Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 AM

Mkurley - How does that turbo make your exhast sound, I have the DC SPort exhast on too. Im getting the turbo installed Wednesday! I can't wait!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 PM

so el mariachi if i got the same kit would i need anything else or just the kit???

by the way looks great
Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 PM

Used Rebel turbo Kit on 2.0 Little problems but ok

First kit made so little issues but worked out of the box w/intercooler stage 3 excedy clutch. 321hp at 23psi. By the time you are done pretty expensive. Trifecta Tune on 07 motor in 06 Car. See Rebel Group Buy for more info.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:13 AM

I've been wanting to go turbo on my 07 for a while. It's good to ehar that Trifeca has a tuning.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kwol18
I've been wanting to go turbo on my 07 for a while. It's good to ehar that Trifeca has a tuning.
canned Get the AEM F/IC. I have mine and will be able to finally fine tune and up the boost.

Quick Reply: Turbo questions!!!