2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Turbo or Supercharge

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo or Supercharge

I want to start building my 07 2.2 but cannot deside on what to go with. turbo'd or supercharged

Any suggestions???
Old 09-17-2008, 03:10 PM

turbo
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

i'm not exaclty sure on the prices for the two, but i was looking at doing a SC, which seems cheaper, and then upgrading my suspension, adding leather seats, maybe a nice bodykit, and still spend the same as a turbo kit
Old 09-17-2008, 03:18 PM

I really like the thought of turbo but should I spend the money on the whole kit or go all piece by piece?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:44 PM

I'd go with a supercharger in a 2.2L it makes the engine bay look better
Old 09-17-2008, 06:22 PM

Depends. What are your power goals?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 PM

turbo
Old 09-17-2008, 06:30 PM

turbo
Old 09-17-2008, 06:35 PM

well it depends on what kind of hp you want.
either way if you want over 250 hp, plan on building your engine.
if you want under or around 300 hp, stick with the sc. (keep in mind, thats without juice, and stuff like that)
if you want way over 300 hp, do turbo.

btw, i'm supercharging my 2.2, and so far i've spent about....880ish or so.
i've still got other things i need to get which will prolly put me at 1500.
heres a link to pics, and things i need
http://www.centexcarclub.com/forum/v...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

even so, its cheaper than 3 grand for a turbo kit.

Originally Posted by PsychoCam
I really like the thought of turbo but should I spend the money on the whole kit or go all piece by piece?
its always cheaper this way.
but custom kits, have custom problems.
if you buy it from hanh, or garrett they will help you out with any issues, and you'll have some kind of warranty

Last edited by ei3dag3; 09-17-2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-17-2008, 09:04 PM

Ok so here is the thing I want to build my credit up considering I am only 19 going on 20 so I need to start building the good old credit line up.

I want to get a turbo set up but where exactly can I get one for the 07 2.2???

Hahn only says there system will work for the 05-06

Can I order the whole assembly off of them???

what about tuning? My car now has the trifecta tune, I know Vince should be able to tune my car but does he offer the laptop tune so I will be able to do it or will it be only through contacting him?

need advice guys
Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 PM

Ok so here is the thing I want to build my credit up considering I am only 19 going on 20 so I need to start building the good old credit line up.

I want to get a turbo set up but where exactly can I get one for the 07 2.2???

Hahn only says there system will work for the 05-06

Can I order the whole assembly off of them???

what about tuning? My car now has the trifecta tune, I know Vince should be able to tune my car but does he offer the laptop tune so I will be able to do it or will it be only through contacting him?

need advice guys
it will work for your car, what he means by 05-06 is that his tuning won't work for your car.
the cobalt ls hasn't changed really in parts since it came out.
those parts will bolt on, but i'd recommend getting the one that he provides WITHOUT the tune.
and yes you can talk to vince from trifecta, tell him what mods you got and he'll send to a tune and work with you to get it right. you can only do it through him, its just an uploader.
our o7 ls only work with ls2 edit. thats a 550$ program
and yea, i need to start building my credit up too.
i'm only 18
Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 PM

If you're trying to build credit, I'd be very careful not to rack up a huge credit card bill, get stuck and miss payments. Your credit score will suffer and it will be difficult for you to bounce back.

If this is the first time you have modified a car to use forced induction (turbocharger/supercharger) then I would HIGHLY recommend choosing a different car to start with and learn how these things work. Forced induction gets very complicated and problematic with many cars. It is more true with newer cars that have sophisticated computers controlling many engine parameters. The tuning alone would require an expert. Now is not the day of the turbo car that can be tuned by adjusting AFR (Air/Fuel Ratio), and timing. There are other parameters that need to be monitored and compensated for. A lot of testing and tuning needs to be done for the car to operate correctly and get as much power as possible.

Secondly, if you are going to supercharge or turbocharge this car, I recommend building the shortblock with forged aftermarket pistons, rods, and bearings. Make sure the motor is built like a tank to take the abuse you are planning on putting it through. If you have a shop do it, make sure they are a reputable one. One small mistake on the build could turn your $5,000 motor into a $2 paperweight. Trust me, I've seen it happen many times.

Third, if you are going to go through the time and effort (and frustration) of using forced induction, I would recommend going with a turbocharger. IMO, there is much more possibility for high HP and TQ numbers, easier driveability, and more control over the output of your motor. Turbochargers are ABUNDANT and easy to modify to fit your application. Superchargers need to be specifically built for your motor. Plus, in general higher displacement motors tend to go with superchargers because it is easier for them to spin the monster s/c's people put on them. It is more difficult for I-4 motors due to lack of initial torque. However, most modern I-4 motors have enough HP in the mid-upper RPM range to spin very large turbo's. Take the evo for example, where many enthusiasts use GT-35r and bigger turbo's on a 2.0L motor and make 600-800 ALL WHEEL HP. A great example of such ingenuity is David Buschur from Buschur Racing (google him).

Honestly, if this is your plan, I hope your car is paid off and you have $5,000+ to spend and another $5,000+ saved up for when things start to break (like axles). However, if you do your research and make a solid plan, you will be very pleased with your hard work. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:28 PM

I was planning on running a turbo set up that I am able to run the lowest boost I am able to run. My car is paid off and I have steady job while at school so I will be able to save the money up. I am not looking to beat on the car at all I am not the type of person that gets cocky behind the wheel. I just want more hp gains. I can not afford the tc and the money dealerships have offered my car for a trade in are so freaking low.

my car is only a year and half old with over a grand or so in mods and I would be losing thousands of dollars plus the price in ensurance and new car payments on a new ss/tc

That is why I am looking into turbo setup. I am new at all of this that is why I am seeking advice from all u knowledgeable css.net members.

I dont tend on racing it 24/7 just go the the 1/4 a couple times during the summer and be able to show the average joe not to **** with a 4 cylinder when they want to get cocky

Originally Posted by interviewatruins
it will work for your car, what he means by 05-06 is that his tuning won't work for your car.
the cobalt ls hasn't changed really in parts since it came out.
those parts will bolt on, but i'd recommend getting the one that he provides WITHOUT the tune.
and yes you can talk to vince from trifecta, tell him what mods you got and he'll send to a tune and work with you to get it right. you can only do it through him, its just an uploader.
our o7 ls only work with ls2 edit. thats a 550$ program
and yea, i need to start building my credit up too.
i'm only 18
so by getting the hahn kit w/out the tune and getting ls2edit I would be able to tune the car by taking it to a professional with the ls2edit after the turbo set up is put on
correct?

Last edited by PsychoCam; 09-17-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 PM

I was planning on running a turbo set up that I am able to run the lowest boost I am able to run. My car is paid off and I have steady job while at school so I will be able to save the money up. I am not looking to beat on the car at all I am not the type of person that gets cocky behind the wheel. I just want more hp gains. I can not afford the tc and the money dealerships have offered my car for a trade in are so freaking low.

my car is only a year and half old with over a grand or so in mods and I would be losing thousands of dollars plus the price in ensurance and new car payments on a new ss/tc

That is why I am looking into turbo setup. I am new at all of this that is why I am seeking advice from all u knowledgeable css.net members.

I dont tend on racing it 24/7 just go the the 1/4 a couple times during the summer and be able to show the average joe not to **** with a 4 cylinder when they want to get cocky

so by getting the hahn kit w/out the tune and getting ls2edit I would be able to tune the car by taking it to a professional with the ls2edit after the turbo set up is put on
correct?
yes, you'd want to take it to someone that is REALLLLLY experienced with tuning cars.
preferably take it to someone that dynos cars and is familiar with tuning corvettes (ls2)
just remember, the tuning is the most important part of making the car ....well..not blow up haha. so take it to someone that knows what they're doing.
preferably, im just gonna use vince cause of how easy it is, and how well he works with you.
the most important thing it seems you want is safety so just let whoever know that. keep boost levels below ..8 psi for that hahn kit should be the limit on it anyways, so you should be set.

btw
heres the link for ls2 edit
http://carputing.tripod.com/LS2main.htm
Old 09-17-2008, 09:41 PM

Ya I just cant believe how rediculous the price of a whole turbo set up is. I looked on hahn's site and I believe it is like 3500 bucks. I am not sure how much cheaper it will be without the tuning software that they offer.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:46 PM

i think its like 3 k
its been a while since i looked at those, since i decided i didn't want to turbo

just wait for tax returns lmao.
i took ap tests my senior year and got 3s on 3 tests. meaning i got 300 for each 3 i got.
plus tax returns is gonna be amazing.
they almost take out 200 per check, since i have 0 dependents and im a full time student.
so with that, mods for sure

Last edited by ei3dag3; 09-17-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-17-2008, 09:51 PM

i think its like 3 k
its been a while since i looked at those, since i decided i didn't want to turbo

just wait for tax returns lmao.
i took ap tests my senior year and got 3s on 3 tests. meaning i got 300 for each 3 i got.
plus tax returns is gonna be amazing.
they almost take out 200 per check, since i have 0 dependents and im a full time student.
so with that, mods for sure
very nice. I will get some back for tax returns god knows how much. I dont want to get ansy and start the build too soon without the money. I just hate that mods for the 2.2's are so pricy for such small gains (ex: the 2.4 intake kit) I have been debating on getting it but should I or save up for bigger and better
Old 09-17-2008, 09:55 PM

well as far as intake
my friend got a short ram k&n for like 120 something from turbo tech.
but yea i payed nearly 300 for my injen cai.
which sucks cause now i gotta sell it and buy the ss/sc injen one :P
but yea some parts suck
Old 09-17-2008, 09:57 PM

well as far as intake
my friend got a short ram k&n for like 120 something from turbo tech.
I mean the 2.4L intake manifold kit sold from CED for 245 dollars.
I have full injen CAI already. see sig for my mods
Old 09-18-2008, 08:14 AM

Let me start by saying I wish you luck with whatever project you decide to go with.

Now, IMO, it is a COMPLETE waste of money to spend $3k + to get a turbo kit for your car that can only run 8-10psi (MAYBE) and gain what...50-70whp???? Your shortblock severely limits your ability to run high boost and big HP numbers. If you fabbed up a kit for like $1k, I'd say go for it as the gains will be worth the money. But if the kit is $3k, labor to install (if you don't do it yourself) probably another $800-$1,000, plus a GOOD tune could cost up to $500, you're looking at like $4,500 and MAYBE you'll get your car NEAR 300WHP. It just doesn't seem worth it in my opinion.

However, if that's what you want to do, then by all means go for it. I'm not trying to sway you to do one thing or another. I just want to keep you informed as to what your getting yourself into. Since you're new to this you're probably very eager to have a NICE, FAST, and FUN car. I'm the same way and I've been doing this for like 8 years. Your 2.2 motor was NOT meant to have tons of air forced down it's throat. My opinion would be to either build your shortblock (and head while you're at it) and turbo the car and be able to run 20+psi on a nice streetable 50 trim turbo. It might cost you a little more, but you'll be able to see upwards of 350-400WHP. But again, you may run into other weak links such as axles, transmission, etc. Just research as much as you can.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
similar to the above...if your building your engine first, go turbo. if your staying below 260hp, go SC
Old 09-19-2008, 10:24 PM

if ya want i have a SS parts for sale

Cobalt Supercharger W/Belt
SS Intake Manifold
SS Springs
2 Sets of SS injectors
1 Wire Harness
SS Throttle body
SS Exhaust Manifold with Heat Shield
SS Stock Intake

Just shoot me a pm and some offers
Old 09-23-2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty
Let me start by saying I wish you luck with whatever project you decide to go with.

Now, IMO, it is a COMPLETE waste of money to spend $3k + to get a turbo kit for your car that can only run 8-10psi (MAYBE) and gain what...50-70whp???? Your shortblock severely limits your ability to run high boost and big HP numbers. If you fabbed up a kit for like $1k, I'd say go for it as the gains will be worth the money. But if the kit is $3k, labor to install (if you don't do it yourself) probably another $800-$1,000, plus a GOOD tune could cost up to $500, you're looking at like $4,500 and MAYBE you'll get your car NEAR 300WHP. It just doesn't seem worth it in my opinion.

However, if that's what you want to do, then by all means go for it. I'm not trying to sway you to do one thing or another. I just want to keep you informed as to what your getting yourself into. Since you're new to this you're probably very eager to have a NICE, FAST, and FUN car. I'm the same way and I've been doing this for like 8 years. Your 2.2 motor was NOT meant to have tons of air forced down it's throat. My opinion would be to either build your shortblock (and head while you're at it) and turbo the car and be able to run 20+psi on a nice streetable 50 trim turbo. It might cost you a little more, but you'll be able to see upwards of 350-400WHP. But again, you may run into other weak links such as axles, transmission, etc. Just research as much as you can.
I am not saying your right or wrong but you should go ahead and read this link about turbos vs. superchargers and then you find out that a supercharger is belt driven putting a toll on the engine and providing alot more heat to the engine since at 1k your pushing boost and with a turbo it usually doesnt kick in to 2500 to 3k. Also with a supercharger even at idle that pulley is spinning. If you do your studies and shop around you can build a turbo kit for 2k with a tune that cost $250 but that would require that you do the install yourself. It is also always good to be friends with people that can weld and could weld all the intercooler piping together and probably even make you the downpipe. Remember a turbo is exhaust driven which with less boost you can get the same hp as a supercharger would that is putting way more stress on your driveline.

http://www.ststurbo.com/turbo_vs__supercharger

You can easily go turbo with a good tune and push 250 hp and not have to worry but anything over that you need good internals and motor built. And also if you do your research and buy all the supercharger parts from people on here or from a junk yard you should beable to add the supercharger, tune for less than $1500
Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Hey where did u find that supercharger kit for 1500. any links? best deal i have ever heard of. Would love to do that to mine
Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 AM

the only thing with Turbo is there is slight "Lag" in a supercharger you wont have that. Also turbos are a bitch to tune. and u wont find a decent kit under 3 grand. then u gotta think about labor and getting it dynoed.

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharge