2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Turbonetics dropped us!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbonetics dropped us!

I was in my local performance shop and one of the guys there called up turbonetics for me. As it turns out apparently turbonetics had been workin on a kit for us 2.2 guys and then they dropped it. What's the deal with that, anyone know? They do how ever have a protoype manifold so I guess that might be something to look forward to. They said that was the most complex piece in the mix.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They probably saw the complete lack of interest in the 2.2 platform and decided to go with the 2.4 and 2.0 like everyone else is. I made a post to judge interest in the HRC turbo kit for the 2.2L Ecotec in the Cobalt and only had 3 or 4 people show any interest. Those numbers won't get anything made.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by hypsy
They probably saw the complete lack of interest in the 2.2 platform and decided to go with the 2.4 and 2.0 like everyone else is. I made a post to judge interest in the HRC turbo kit for the 2.2L Ecotec in the Cobalt and only had 3 or 4 people show any interest. Those numbers won't get anything made.
Everyone wants Hahn though
Old 07-13-2006, 12:02 AM

probably dropped it due to no tuning solution for it yet
Old 07-13-2006, 12:57 AM

theres aloy of interst but with out any sort of numbers no one is gonna speak up i personally dont want to have to pay 5 grand for a turbo kit i would love to see a basic kit come out for around 3 grand but i agree with celicacobalt they probally cant tune it so they gave up at least they have a manifold so when tuning does come out we can go custom and not have to bother getting a manifold made
Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

I don't think there is a lack in interest for a turbo kit for our cars. One of these companies just needs to get off their ass and come up with a prototype kit, that dosent mean they need to mass produce it. Then put the frikin word out that it can be done and then they'll see interest. Not every 2.2 owner that would buy a turbo kit is a member of this forum. Whoever puts a quality one out first is gonna get all the sales. examples: twm short shifter for our car, eibach springs (mine are on back order for a reason). I guess Im just a little pissed because blaming that fact that there is a performance model (the SS/SC) for the 2.2's lack of aftermarket is just BS. If the 2.2 was only meant for basic bolt ons then GM wouldn't have waisted their time making a book and performance line for 1000+hp capability, it's still an ecotec.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
can we pirate an ss/sc ecu and use it with hp tuners to run a 2.2??? STS had a turbo kit prototype for an HHR, but i think it was for a 2.4. im waiting for an sts system either way. a big part of it is that they let you finance it through them so even if you dont have 5000 for a turbo kit you can put 1500 down and pay the rest off over 1-2 years.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:26 PM

^^^ Not true. A shifter and Springs are WAY different than a turbo kit. Your talking about $150-$300 for those vs 5k+ for a turbo. Also, probably 70%-80% of Cobalt sales are 2.2's, but of those, probably only 20%-25% will really "mod" their car. (Not talking rims or tint, talking CAI, Turbos, Internals, Suspension, etc.)

I guess that Turbonetics just couldn't find the interest or it wasn't cost effective enough to warrent a full blown release. Who knows.

EDIT: 400th post!! WOO!!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
Everyone wants Hahn though
HRC is hahn racecraft . One big thing is tuning. No one's been able to come up with a solid tuning solution for the 2.2. Also most who were planning to seriously mod their Cobalt went with the 2.4 or 2.0 so most of those getting the 2.2 wouldn't be interested in a turbo kit.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:53 PM

i was seriuously planing on modding my balt and i went with the 2.2 it more affordable for me leaves more money to put into the car sure most of the 2.2's wont be turbo'd cause their being driven by old people but thier is deff a demand for a kit for the 2.2
Old 07-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Banned

there is LOTS of interest in a turbo for the 2.2... there however is NOT interest in giving 1,000 non-refundable deposit without having any kind of power #'s, reliability tests, or anything else of that sort... if there were turbos and management systems, which is the real issue, people would buy them.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:07 PM

How about waiting 5 years for these cars to come off warrenty, who wants to ruin a huge part of the reason I bought this car, trouble free for the life of my payment schedule!

Soon as my powertrain warrenty is gone, then maybe build and turbo it.

These cars are too new for such dramatic power upgrades!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Brandon97Z
... Also most who were planning to seriously mod their Cobalt went with the 2.4 or 2.0 so most of those getting the 2.2 wouldn't be interested in a turbo kit.
I don't see that as being a reason at all. If anyone makes a turbo kit, the most sense would be for the 2.2. Why and the hell would a company make a turbo kit for the 2.0 over the other models. Ya that's smart, I'll hold my breathe while every SS/SC owner goes and takes off their supercharger. The more negativity I hear about this issue, the more it solidifies my desire to stretch my budget and buy a kit when it comes out and do the Cha-cha on everyone's face that are saying "it won't happen becasue there is no interest".

and pursuit, I only have a 3 year warranty so I'm kinda in a hurry. Plus the stock motor is rated by GM for up to 250hpI believe, which is more then most kits would add at their recommended boost lvls ect.. Going past that is drivers own risk.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:11 PM

funny thing is they arent droping the 2.2

they would be dropping the 2.4 and 2.0 as well , since the exhaust flanges are identical , only difference is tb placement on the 2.0 , where the 2.2 and 2.4 are very close to the same if not identical , and down pipe size
Old 07-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brandon97Z
HRC is hahn racecraft . One big thing is tuning. No one's been able to come up with a solid tuning solution for the 2.2. Also most who were planning to seriously mod their Cobalt went with the 2.4 or 2.0 so most of those getting the 2.2 wouldn't be interested in a turbo kit.

what exactly are you basing this on?? lots of 2.2's plan on modding and adding turbos... not everyone has the money to buy a 2.0 or 2.4 right off the bat...
Old 07-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
what exactly are you basing this on?? lots of 2.2's plan on modding and adding turbos... not everyone has the money to buy a 2.0 or 2.4 right off the bat...
Ignorance is the basis
I see the 2.2 and 2.4 as blank slates waiting to be original and I think that some of the aftermarket will see it that way too. I wouldn't have looked at the base cavi and old school civic as the ideal car to modify, but look at them now. This isn't the first car I've worked on with little after market support so that's why Im not buying this 2.2 aint goin nowhere crap. I like my car to be different from most and honestly the SS, 95% look like the rest (4% being in different color). A great car, but I see it as the most likely to be like the rest.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by 05EBPursuit
How about waiting 5 years for these cars to come off warrenty, who wants to ruin a huge part of the reason I bought this car, trouble free for the life of my payment schedule!

Soon as my powertrain warrenty is gone, then maybe build and turbo it.

These cars are too new for such dramatic power upgrades!!!
in your opinion, power is fun

of course if you can't afford to fix your car when it breaks then you probably can't afford a turbo kit in the first place, which in that case enjoy your warranty.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:02 AM

there is LOTS of interest in a turbo for the 2.2... there however is NOT interest in giving 1,000 non-refundable deposit without having any kind of power #'s, reliability tests, or anything else of that sort... if there were turbos and management systems, which is the real issue, people would buy them.

I NEVER suggested that there was a deposit required. I was asked by one of the HRC staff to make a post to judge the interest in the 2.2 kit and see if it was worth pushing its develoment schedule up, ahead of say the 2.4 kit. I think I had 2 emails expressing interest. 2 people isn't gonna get anyone moving on anything.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:05 AM

I heard that Turbonetic wasn't even gonna touch on the Cobalts of r awhile...maybe even never gonna happen.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by jonnymerk
Ignorance is the basis
I see the 2.2 and 2.4 as blank slates waiting to be original and I think that some of the aftermarket will see it that way too. I wouldn't have looked at the base cavi and old school civic as the ideal car to modify, but look at them now. This isn't the first car I've worked on with little after market support so that's why Im not buying this 2.2 aint goin nowhere crap. I like my car to be different from most and honestly the SS, 95% look like the rest (4% being in different color). A great car, but I see it as the most likely to be like the rest.

Yea I mos definitely agree with this guy...That's why I got a base cobalt...Honestly in the area where I'm at,there are no other cobalts like mines. There's only three other SS's...and they all look the same...
Old 07-14-2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by blowncobalt
I heard that Turbonetic wasn't even gonna touch on the Cobalts of r awhile...maybe even never gonna happen.

Damn I really hope that they change the game plans and get on their hustle...I can speak for most of us when I say "WE WANT TURBO"!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Banned

I NEVER suggested that there was a deposit required. I was asked by one of the HRC staff to make a post to judge the interest in the 2.2 kit and see if it was worth pushing its develoment schedule up, ahead of say the 2.4 kit. I think I had 2 emails expressing interest. 2 people isn't gonna get anyone moving on anything.

so they're basing their production decisions on the results of an internet forum? i'm not buying it, and if they really are, then it's a stupid move from a business standpoint... so that would mean that they think that no one would buy a turbo, unless they're on this site? pointless thread, and ANYONE that would base their decisions on something like this is definately not a sound business
Old 07-14-2006, 12:08 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
so they're basing their production decisions on the results of an internet forum? i'm not buying it, and if they really are, then it's a stupid move from a business standpoint... so that would mean that they think that no one would buy a turbo, unless they're on this site? pointless thread, and ANYONE that would base their decisions on something like this is definately not a sound business
Well unless all you guys are phoning and telling them that you want the kit how else are they going to know beside coming to a forum where people are most likely to hear about the kit in the first place, just like many upgrades for all of our cars.
Also something that needs to be considered when people say they want them, that means nothing to a company who needs to spend $$$$ in R&D, they need people who can acyually afford to pay for the kits and people who do pay. Many (not all) have said they chose the 2.2's because of not being able to afford the SS.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
Well unless all you guys are phoning and telling them that you want the kit how else are they going to know beside coming to a forum where people are most likely to hear about the kit in the first place, just like many upgrades for all of our cars.
Also something that needs to be considered when people say they want them, that means nothing to a company who needs to spend $$$$ in R&D, they need people who can acyually afford to pay for the kits and people who do pay. Many (not all) have said they chose the 2.2's because of not being able to afford the SS.

not true at all... it's very bad business... people will buy this product... and how in the world would people on an internet forum "only saying" they want a turbo justify any business to go into R&D? a company that would spend money because people on the internet merely said they would purchase something, and then choose not to produce the product because people didn't respond is a joke... plain and simple... a company comes out with the prototype, tests it, gives results, gives a price, and THEN they gauge interest, and then if there'e interest, they go into production... who is going to say they want a product when at this point, we don't know any kind of definite hp #'s, price, reliability, or anything else... everything at this point is a guess...
Old 07-14-2006, 12:49 PM

Just trade in your 2.2/2.4 for an SS like everyone else...

Quick Reply: Turbonetics dropped us!