2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Turbonetics dropped us!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
some of us picked up other bills since then. and its my wifes turn to get a new vehicle
Old 07-14-2006, 12:54 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
not true at all... it's very bad business... people will buy this product... and how in the world would people on an internet forum "only saying" they want a turbo justify any business to go into R&D? a company that would spend money because people on the internet merely said they would purchase something, and then choose not to produce the product because people didn't respond is a joke... plain and simple... a company comes out with the prototype, tests it, gives results, gives a price, and THEN they gauge interest, and then if there'e interest, they go into production... who is going to say they want a product when at this point, we don't know any kind of definite hp #'s, price, reliability, or anything else... everything at this point is a guess...
No problem with people not buying until numbers are released but the 2.2 is not the only engine that they can design a kit for and in business it only makes sense to invest were returns will be made. Turbonetics or HRC can easily go develop kits for other cars and get around to the 2.2 when they have nothing better to do,"unless" enough noise gets through to these companies to have the kits done sooner.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't work for a turbo system manufacturer, but I am about to graduate from college with a business degree. There doesnt seem to be that much risk involved in developing a kit for our car, it's not exactly rocket science and these companies know enough that it won't be extremely difficult to develop a kit. Therefore, I'm sure there has been enough interest expressed to outway the cost of R&D. Are turbo kits really mass produced anyway? cus that isnt very economical, just make a few upon receiving an order and bingo no overhead waisting space. Maybe all the wait is really a result of the ECU issue. I think saying the 2.2 is doomed to be left in the cold needs to end, at least for another 2 years then maybe give up hope. When the trends are 350Zs, 240s and EVOs there is prob just a delay in development.

Bottom line: unless you are Nostrodamus don't say it aint gonna happen.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:51 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by jonnymerk
Bottom line: unless you are Nostrodamus don't say it aint gonna happen.
Exactly, it will happen, maybe not soon enough for some, but you will get them and likely after the PCM is cracked.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
No problem with people not buying until numbers are released but the 2.2 is not the only engine that they can design a kit for and in business it only makes sense to invest were returns will be made. Turbonetics or HRC can easily go develop kits for other cars and get around to the 2.2 when they have nothing better to do,"unless" enough noise gets through to these companies to have the kits done sooner.
SOMEONE FINALLY GETS IT! I'm suprised it took this long.

Oh well...you guys are on your own. I tried to help you guys by giving you a place to post and show your interest and make some noise. What did you guys do? You pissed and moaned that a company like HRC doesn't need to judge interest and said I was lying and that HRC didn't need me to make a post. Well when your kit comes out IN OVER A YEAR you'll know why. All you had to do was be professional and show some serious interest and the kit could have been bumped forward. If Bill has read this, or ANYONE at HRC has, I'd be suprised if the 2.2L Ecotec Cobalt hasn't been pushed BACK instead of up.

When the kit FINALLY comes out I'd be happy sell it to anyone who wants it. Whenever that is.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:40 PM

here is a turbo for you guys, it uses a fuel management unit so you dont need to reprogram the PCM. I have pics of my drifter 2 body kit if yall are interested in looking at them. they are at www.myspace.com/brunbballnum40
Old 07-15-2006, 07:51 PM

the stage 3 kit has the FMU, the kit is only 50hp at 4-5psi boost but you can always up the boost, there is also a 400-600hp rated turbo listed for the 2.2L but its not a complete kithttp://www.maximumboost.net/index.ph...=21_44_148_272
Old 07-15-2006, 07:54 PM

I don't beleive we can't use an fmu due to no fuel return line, not totally sure. Someone back me up here on this.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:59 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
the stage 3 kit has the FMU, the kit is only 50hp at 4-5psi boost but you can always up the boost, there is also a 400-600hp rated turbo listed for the 2.2L but its not a complete kithttp://www.maximumboost.net/index.ph...=21_44_148_272
If I recall correctly,Maxuimum Boost didn't do too well here.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:27 PM

well godfather customs will be able to make it work, if they can make my friends 98 malibu have twin turbos, they can make this 2.2L have a turbo
Old 07-15-2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
If I recall correctly,Maxuimum Boost didn't do too well here.
and ive noticed that only the SS/SC owners are knocking this. its almost like they are afraid that we just might have more HP at the wheels then them. oh well, maybe you should have bught that 2.2L balt and not the SS. I'll be re-enlisting this winter and i get a 45K signing bonus. Ill be tossing all of it at the first tune shop that can make the 400-600hp turbo work on my car with no check engine light, and runs like it was sold to me from the dealer with that turbo.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:39 PM

and ive noticed that only the SS/SC owners are knocking this. its almost like they are afraid that we just might have more HP at the wheels then them. oh well, maybe you should have bught that 2.2L balt and not the SS. I'll be re-enlisting this winter and i get a 45K signing bonus. Ill be tossing all of it at the first tune shop that can make the 400-600hp turbo work on my car with no check engine light, and runs like it was sold to me from the dealer with that turbo.
No the kits they were selling were junk. Nothing more then a kit put together with parts off of ebay. Now i think they were trying to change things around and put out quality products but i have not heard anything about them in several months. Just be cautious.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:57 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Before you go and get to fighting over your choice of car two things.
1)I simply tried to tell you there is a reason why the 2.2 guys aren't already buying that kit.
2) read this post before you tell me I am afraid of what power you "may" get to "your" wheels.https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/corvette-killer-cobalt-ss%5Csc-19212/
Old 07-16-2006, 01:14 AM

so your gonna spend 45 grand to turbo a little 2.2 lol buy an sti or something 400 horse is way too much for a fwd and thiers no way it will run\drive like it came from the dealer i my self plan on turboing my 2.2 but not with that kit it dont even come with a down pipe not a tuning solution thiers the reason none of us bought it wait till hahn get thier kit out it will be alot easier and cheaper on you
Old 07-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hypsy
SOMEONE FINALLY GETS IT! I'm suprised it took this long.

Oh well...you guys are on your own. I tried to help you guys by giving you a place to post and show your interest and make some noise. What did you guys do? You pissed and moaned that a company like HRC doesn't need to judge interest and said I was lying and that HRC didn't need me to make a post. Well when your kit comes out IN OVER A YEAR you'll know why. All you had to do was be professional and show some serious interest and the kit could have been bumped forward. If Bill has read this, or ANYONE at HRC has, I'd be suprised if the 2.2L Ecotec Cobalt hasn't been pushed BACK instead of up.

When the kit FINALLY comes out I'd be happy sell it to anyone who wants it. Whenever that is.

with your attitude, i wouldn't buy a turbo from you if you were selling it... i would but it from someone else...
Old 07-16-2006, 06:09 PM

with your attitude, i wouldn't buy a turbo from you if you were selling it... i would but it from someone else...
With my attitude? MY ATTITUDE?? I TRY TO ******* HELP YOU GUYS OUT AND YOU JUMP ALL OVER MY ASS AND I HAVE A BAD ATTITUDE??? Screw you man. Like I said...you guys blew your best chance to get your release date moved up a little bit. Don't blame it on me or my supposed attitude. Just another thing to consider before I try to help again.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Banned

Exclamation

With my attitude? MY ATTITUDE?? I TRY TO ******* HELP YOU GUYS OUT AND YOU JUMP ALL OVER MY ASS AND I HAVE A BAD ATTITUDE??? Screw you man. Like I said...you guys blew your best chance to get your release date moved up a little bit. Don't blame it on me or my supposed attitude. Just another thing to consider before I try to help again.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:00 PM

I NEVER suggested that there was a deposit required. I was asked by one of the HRC staff to make a post to judge the interest in the 2.2 kit and see if it was worth pushing its develoment schedule up, ahead of say the 2.4 kit. I think I had 2 emails expressing interest. 2 people isn't gonna get anyone moving on anything.
Although you never suggested a deposit, you told people not sign up just on interest alone. I read the thread and what I saw was, unless you have 3-4k laying around right now and could buy the turbo, then sign up, otherwise dont bother. If you had asked if people were interested in buying this kit, say within the year, and your not obligated whatsoever, just give a quick shout out, there would've been alot more people showing interest. I would've signed up, but I most likely wasnt gonna purchase one until early next year. Plus there wasnt enough info about the kit at all, esp. on what tuning is gonna be available, which in return is gonna show what kind of power gains one expect from this kit. I know HRC makes nice stuff, but no real power #'s have been given, just general guess basing off the cavi, no release date, no clear info on what parts are in this kit, will it fit just 5speeds??? or will auto's be included? If more of these questions were answered, it might also show some more interest and I also would think that HRC wouldnt base people's interest off a forum, but thats just my .02
Old 07-16-2006, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltR
Although you never suggested a deposit, you told people not sign up just on interest alone. I read the thread and what I saw was, unless you have 3-4k laying around right now and could buy the turbo, then sign up, otherwise dont bother. If you had asked if people were interested in buying this kit, say within the year, and your not obligated whatsoever, just give a quick shout out, there would've been alot more people showing interest. I would've signed up, but I most likely wasnt gonna purchase one until early next year. Plus there wasnt enough info about the kit at all, esp. on what tuning is gonna be available, which in return is gonna show what kind of power gains one expect from this kit. I know HRC makes nice stuff, but no real power #'s have been given, just general guess basing off the cavi, no release date, no clear info on what parts are in this kit, will it fit just 5speeds??? or will auto's be included? If more these questions were answered, it might also show some more interest, just my .02
Agreed
Old 07-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cobaltR
Although you never suggested a deposit, you told people not sign up just on interest alone. I read the thread and what I saw was, unless you have 3-4k laying around right now and could buy the turbo, then sign up, otherwise dont bother. If you had asked if people were interested in buying this kit, say within the year, and your not obligated whatsoever, just give a quick shout out, there would've been alot more people showing interest. I would've signed up, but I most likely wasnt gonna purchase one until early next year. Plus there wasnt enough info about the kit at all, esp. on what tuning is gonna be available, which in return is gonna show what kind of power gains one expect from this kit. I know HRC makes nice stuff, but no real power #'s have been given, just general guess basing off the cavi, no release date, no clear info on what parts are in this kit, will it fit just 5speeds??? or will auto's be included? If more these questions were answered, it might also show some more interest, just my .02

agreed... hypsy, before you tell me to go screw, post some real info... do a search on how many people asked about turbos on this site... it is a company's job and responsibility to find out what the market is... it is not the market's job to tell a company what to make... as far as business goes, i say it again, you obviously don't know what you're doing, and any company that would base their products on a post like this is absolutely a joke... then, when we call you on your bad decisions that are based on nothing, you get all pissy... again, i would never buy any product from you...
Old 07-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Banned

so guys, i have this turbo, it hasn't been tested yet, i don't have a firm price, i don't know exactly what it would do, or how it would work for that matter... not sure really about anything... so who wants it?? o yea, only post if you are serious about buying

i hope this puts your post in perspective hypsy, and makes you realize that it was not very well done at all...
Old 07-16-2006, 10:27 PM

so guys, i have this turbo, it hasn't been tested yet, i don't have a firm price, i don't know exactly what it would do, or how it would work for that matter... not sure really about anything... so who wants it?? o yea, only post if you are serious about buying

i hope this puts your post in perspective hypsy, and makes you realize that it was not very well done at all...
Thats how I took it, if wasnt for the fact that it was made by HRC I wouldnt have even wasted my time reading the rest of his thread. Also, if HRC wanted to get an idea of what kind of interest their was, Bill or someone from the company should've came on and started an offical thread..........
Old 07-16-2006, 11:49 PM

OK FINE. I'm sorry I even tried to help you guys out. I posted everything I was given and even said IN THE DAMN POST "if you have any more questions, post them and I will try to get them answered." All I got was a bunch of whiney ass ****** who are more concerned with pissing and moaning that a COMPANY LOOKING TO SELL THE PARTS is making the post and not SOMEONE ON THE PAYROLL than actually getting a real list together to show interest.

I talked to HRC this past week and they HAD read that thread and they WERE watching it. Guess what...all you guys did was show them why they SHOULDN'T make your kit. You attack anyone who tries to legitimately help you. They couldn't believe it. Either could I. The more I see you guys post the more I hope you never get help from HRC or HP Tuners. You simply don't deserve it. PERIOD.

D4u2s0t: Your post would make sense IF THE KIT WASN'T COMING FROM A COMPANY LIKE HRC YOU JACKASS! You see what the normal retail price of a kit is ($3495 to start normally), you see what turbo they use (16G typically), and you know the quality. If the kit was being made by me then your post would make sense. Your just a whiney little kid who will find anything to **** and moan about...you'll see how little that's gonna get you.

cobaltR: HRC asked me to make a post for a reason. If they had come on here and made a post someone woulda done this same thing to them or one of your mods would have erased the post. Plain and simple. I think it was quite clear that the post was intended for those SERIOUSLY interested in the kit. It wasn't a post like those you see on every forum, including this one, where 100 people say they'll buy then 2 people pony up the cash when the time comes. If you couldn't figure that out, I'm sorry. I'll be sure to make my posts more simple in the future so everyone can understand them.

Everyone: I guess I won't even try to help you guys anymore. I'll have to make sure Bill puts your **** on the back-burner instead. Anyone who would have posted legitimate questions in the thread and waited for a reply instead of pissing and moaning you would have gotten a serious reply. Instead all your going to get is the cold shoulder from at least 1 company, more likely 2 or 3. And just so no one thinks I'm refering to myself as that one company....I'm not.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Banned

OK FINE. I'm sorry I even tried to help you guys out. I posted everything I was given and even said IN THE DAMN POST "if you have any more questions, post them and I will try to get them answered." All I got was a bunch of whiney ass ****** who are more concerned with pissing and moaning that a COMPANY LOOKING TO SELL THE PARTS is making the post and not SOMEONE ON THE PAYROLL than actually getting a real list together to show interest.

I talked to HRC this past week and they HAD read that thread and they WERE watching it. Guess what...all you guys did was show them why they SHOULDN'T make your kit. You attack anyone who tries to legitimately help you. They couldn't believe it. Either could I. The more I see you guys post the more I hope you never get help from HRC or HP Tuners. You simply don't deserve it. PERIOD.

D4u2s0t: Your post would make sense IF THE KIT WASN'T COMING FROM A COMPANY LIKE HRC YOU JACKASS! You see what the normal retail price of a kit is ($3495 to start normally), you see what turbo they use (16G typically), and you know the quality. If the kit was being made by me then your post would make sense. Your just a whiney little kid who will find anything to **** and moan about...you'll see how little that's gonna get you.

cobaltR: HRC asked me to make a post for a reason. If they had come on here and made a post someone woulda done this same thing to them or one of your mods would have erased the post. Plain and simple. I think it was quite clear that the post was intended for those SERIOUSLY interested in the kit. It wasn't a post like those you see on every forum, including this one, where 100 people say they'll buy then 2 people pony up the cash when the time comes. If you couldn't figure that out, I'm sorry. I'll be sure to make my posts more simple in the future so everyone can understand them.
Everyone: I guess I won't even try to help you guys anymore. I'll have to make sure Bill puts your **** on the back-burner instead. Anyone who would have posted legitimate questions in the thread and waited for a reply instead of pissing and moaning you would have gotten a serious reply. Instead all your going to get is the cold shoulder from at least 1 company, more likely 2 or 3. And just so no one thinks I'm refering to myself as that one company....I'm not.
do me a favor dude... grow up... read all of my posts please, and tell me how many of them make you think i'm a whiney little kid... please stick to the facts, and stop name calling... you call people names when you are in high school, after that, it makes you sound very unintelligent...

again, see my middle bold... a company would be unbelievably stupid for acting on this basis... and my post would have made sense?? ok, so read the post before that one...
Old 07-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Banned

i'm done "whining" about this now... take care

Quick Reply: Turbonetics dropped us!