2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

v-tech=eco-tec

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend with a 2001 prelude with Vtec knows all about Hondas and he explained it to me as such. There are seperate lobes on the cams that are bigger that aren't used until a certain RPM and a pin slides in the unused lobes making the used lobes follow that same path. It's like instantly changing out your cams for bigger ones. That will obviously give you more power. And yes when his Vtec kicks in you can definatly hear it AND feel it. As for the guys saying he was winning until my Vtec kicks in.. i don't think it gives you THAT much more power that you would instantly pull ahead.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 PM

^-- then you have no clue how much difference the VTEC actuation makes. In first gear with the 2 Preludes from a dig it would be door to door until 5500 in my car. By the end of first his bumper was at the backside of my door. From 2nd gear all the way to 3rd I would put car lengths on him. I seriously doubt you have any decent knowledge on what the Honda VTEC system is capable of. Its not like a 50 shot of nitrous, but a definite kick in the pants! Enough to make a half car length pull during WOT but still NO torque. LOL!

(and BTW, the 97-01 Preldues were fat pigs even with the H22 in them. My 95 killed those things all day long. I'm just glad I'm in a ECOtec now. )
Old 08-07-2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Huh?

Vtec is something that is controlled through the stock PCM/ECM and is a physical operation with the valvetrain.

FYI: 2.2 = L61 and 2.4 = LE5

and no, the 2.4s Variable Valve Timing is NOTHING like Vtec. The 2.4 uses Cam Phasing technology.

The kicker to this post is that he has the nerve to call the guy a idiot when he's comparing a Variable Valve Timing setup and powerband to nitrous shots. ROFL.
i compared it that way so ppl can understand that you can feel it when it kicks in....not the actual v-tec = nitrous
Old 08-07-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by chevysalesman614
i hear (from codyss) that gay male prostitution is quite lucrative
Old 08-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EthensCobalt
i compared it that way so ppl can understand that you can feel it when it kicks in....not the actual v-tec = nitrous
ok...

but in the end...

You still called the guy a idiot yet I pointed out other things you said that were incorrect.

and you still compared it to nitrous no matter what.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
ok...

but in the end...

You still called the guy a idiot yet I pointed out other things you said that were incorrect.

and you still compared it to nitrous no matter what.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:12 PM

vtec camshafts are designed a little differently than normal camshafts. They're used on 4-valve per cylinder heads and basically until a certain rpm, one of the two valves stays closed during half of the intake process. Then when vtec kicks in, the cam locks up via a lockpin connected to an electrical solinoid operated by the ecu, and both valves open fully during the entire intake process providing more air to the combustion chamber.

This is different than what we have, which is basically a second set of runners with little throttle plates in each runner that are also connected to an electronic solenoid operated by the ecu. When we hit a certain rpm, or go WOT, the second set of runners opens up and flows more air to the combusion chamber.

Both setups provide more torque at a lower rpm and more hp at a higher rpm due to air flow and turbulence. vtec is just more efficient at doing it. The only reason it's so much more noticable on a honda motor is because they are built to flow more air through a smaller motor. Have you ever seen the ports on a vtec motor compared to a motor of similar size? they're huge. But because of the lack of turbulence in the intake and such a high flow, you get virtually no low end torque but massive amounts of high end horsepower.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 PM

I have nothing new to add to this thread.....
Adam Pwns all
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by forced_induction
v-tec is variable valve timing, correct me if im wrong but it changes to a higher cam gear or somthing like that when it crosses over. V-TEC was actually invented by GM but they couldn't get it to work like planned in their V-8's so they sold the patent to Honda and they tweaked it to work with their smaller motors. I have raced a 12 sec civic before and u can hear the v-tec crossover a see the change in power, its not a myth like some people make it out to be; but its normally only noticeable with build honda motors, so all those civics with just intakes and exhaust are not gonna see a big difference when it crosses over if any
Just to put in my 2 cents worth and let you know you are right for the most part. VTEC does make more of a differance on a built motor and you can feel the differance on power on a beefy motor. However, on a stock VTEC motor with intake and exhaust you can here the VTEC kick in around 5000 RPM. It does make a trememdous diferance in the sound of the exhaust. I had a friend that had a 94 delsol SI with a Iceman CAI and Tonabe cat back, and at 5300 RPM the exhaust went from pissed off bumble be to a whole hive of bumble bees. Just my 2 cents worth here, not flaming anybody.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by monkeiboy
I have nothing new to add to this thread.....
Adam Pwns all
and I have sex with peoples mothers!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 PM

so what does "I-VTECH" mean???
Old 08-08-2007, 11:58 PM

intelligent v tech
Old 08-09-2007, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by razorhead89
so what does "I-VTECH" mean???
Its the Apple brand version of vtec...

example:

ipod
imac
iphone

Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
vtec camshafts are designed a little differently than normal camshafts. They're used on 4-valve per cylinder heads and basically until a certain rpm, one of the two valves stays closed during half of the intake process. Then when vtec kicks in, the cam locks up via a lockpin connected to an electrical solinoid operated by the ecu, and both valves open fully during the entire intake process providing more air to the combustion chamber.

This is different than what we have, which is basically a second set of runners with little throttle plates in each runner that are also connected to an electronic solenoid operated by the ecu. When we hit a certain rpm, or go WOT, the second set of runners opens up and flows more air to the combusion chamber.

Both setups provide more torque at a lower rpm and more hp at a higher rpm due to air flow and turbulence. vtec is just more efficient at doing it. The only reason it's so much more noticable on a honda motor is because they are built to flow more air through a smaller motor. Have you ever seen the ports on a vtec motor compared to a motor of similar size? they're huge. But because of the lack of turbulence in the intake and such a high flow, you get virtually no low end torque but massive amounts of high end horsepower.
Please read up on the VVT system before posting information! We need well educated Cobalt owners!!!! There is no second set of runners with little throttle plates -- and all the valves are working all the time! VVT is very simple -- it changes the camshaft's relation to the crankshaft -- that is ALL! There is a locking pin in the cam adjusters but its' purpose is to prevent cam rattle at start-up and is released when sufficient engine oil pressure is built after start up. The cam adjusters retard or advance the cams as directed from the ECU -- This is where the Ecotech differs from the VTEC each cam is controlled by its' own solenoid whereas the Honda VTEC is controlled by a single on-off solenoid and spring loaded valve that is controlled by engine oil pressure. The Honda VTEC (at least the 90s versions) does kick in and out depending on engine RPM or oil pressure. they can feel it when it kicks in. The Ecotech 2.4 is variable in that the cams move all through the RPM range -- retarding and advancing -- in order to provide the best power and economy as is possible with the engine.

Last edited by Red07SSNA; 08-09-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:29 AM

Everybody just freakin go to howthingswork.com and read about VVT and VTEC
Old 08-09-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalter LS
Please read up on the VVT system before posting information! We need well educated Cobalt owners!!!! There is no second set of runners with little throttle plates -- and all the valves are working all the time! VVT is very simple -- it changes the camshaft's relation to the crankshaft -- that is ALL! There is a locking pin in the cam adjusters but its' purpose is to prevent cam rattle at start-up and is released when sufficient engine oil pressure is built after start up. The cam adjusters retard or advance the cams as directed from the ECU -- This is where the Ecotech differs from the VTEC each cam is controlled by its' own solenoid whereas the Honda VTEC is controlled by a single on-off solenoid and spring loaded valve that is controlled by engine oil pressure. The Honda VTEC (at least the 90s versions) does kick in and out depending on engine RPM or oil pressure. they can feel it when it kicks in. The Ecotech 2.4 is variable in that the cams move all through the RPM range -- retarding and advancing -- in order to provide the best power and economy as is possible with the engine.
well I didn't say anything about vvt because I didn't really know how it worked(thanks for informing me). What I was talking about is a system used in a lot of newer intakes(apparently not in ours tho) generally used with dodge magnum(not the model but the trim) vehicles and some toyotas. Pardon the misinformation.

I knew i-vtec ran off oil pressure(among other things) but had no idea the older versions did as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by lijewski

example:

ipod
imac
iphone

Well now I've gotta give you I-rep for that
Old 08-09-2007, 11:38 AM

sweet... finally found a forum about EGO TECH....

...thats a little guy who runs around slapping people in their faces for not knowing everything about a topic but leaving postings like their last name is Chevrolet right??

seriously though... i love this... im brand new and you guys have all helped me a lot
Old 08-10-2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by lijewski

example:

ipod
imac
iphone

lmao
newayz ill take my car over a civic type-r anyday
remember speed kills drive a honda and youll live forever

o yes and to all the vvt comments this thread was about the ecotec motor being the same as vtec

Last edited by EthensCobalt; 08-10-2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-10-2007, 12:38 AM

Zetec and the Duratec (4cyl and V6 respectively) operate on the basic idea of the "famed" v-tec. They use RPM locale and throttle (and oil pressure) to both shift the cams to that different lobe, as well as open what are commonly refered to as "butterfly valves" that draw more air into the manifold. Novajoe had it right, just on the wrong car. i had to deal with the Duratecs IMRC (intake manifold runner control) for 3 years, which is pretty much the downfall of that motor... and the fact that its a 2.5 V6