2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

went to the dyno.... very upset

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Biohazard, I am sorry for all these idiots not being able to read.

To help you out and make you feel better, just know your car is fine.

We can do some math to GUESS at your hp numbers.

I don't know when your car redlines, so I will assume around 6200rpms(we can change later if that is wrong). Your car was making 155ft.lbs or so at 3320rpms someone mentioned that the peak torque on MOST 2.2l Ecotecs is around 4500rpm. So lets assume you were making 155ft.lbs(not your peak so you can still make more torque) at redline(assumed).

hp= 155x6200/5252
So purely guessing if your car can make 155ft.lbs of torque at your guessed redline it would be making about 182hp.

So now do you see why your car is perfectly fine? If you can get me your real redline and maybe get a dyno that shows where your peak torque is, I could be a lot more accurate. Nice job on the mods and the "numbers" so far. Good luck
Old 05-28-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 280Z1977
Hey Biohazard, I am sorry for all these idiots not being able to read.

To help you out and make you feel better, just know your car is fine.

We can do some math to GUESS at your hp numbers.

I don't know when your car redlines, so I will assume around 6200rpms(we can change later if that is wrong). Your car was making 155ft.lbs or so at 3320rpms someone mentioned that the peak torque on MOST 2.2l Ecotecs is around 4500rpm. So lets assume you were making 155ft.lbs(not your peak so you can still make more torque) at redline(assumed).

hp= 155x6200/5252
So purely guessing if your car can make 155ft.lbs of torque at your guessed redline it would be making about 182hp.

So now do you see why your car is perfectly fine? If you can get me your real redline and maybe get a dyno that shows where your peak torque is, I could be a lot more accurate. Nice job on the mods and the "numbers" so far. Good luck
See this is the problem, we can't really guess or even say for sure that he has purely 155 lbs of torque because of the gear that he was running in and how much of the powerband he actually was using.

Not saying that your intentions are wrong but think about it, he has a couple bolt ons on his 2.2 L motor, which stock crank HP is 145 and produces 155 lbs of torque and he has an automatic transmission which will have him lose more power to the wheels through drivetrain loss. Now, with that said, there is no way he's making 182 WHP or even crank Horsepower nor do I think he's really making 155 lbs of torque. He payed for an inaccurate dyno, plain and simple.

The innacuracey is either due to them not picking up a proper tach signal or because of the gear he was running in. I've seen this happen in my case...no way when I was N/A that I was making 200 WHP and 400 lbs of torque lol That was due to not picking up a good tach signal.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NJHK
See this is the problem, we can't really guess or even say for sure that he has purely 155 lbs of torque because of the gear that he was running in and how much of the powerband he actually was using.

Not saying that your intentions are wrong but think about it, he has a couple bolt ons on his 2.2 L motor, which stock crank HP is 145 and produces 155 lbs of torque and he has an automatic transmission which will have him lose more power to the wheels through drivetrain loss. Now, with that said, there is no way he's making 182 WHP or even crank Horsepower nor do I think he's really making 155 lbs of torque. He payed for an inaccurate dyno, plain and simple.

The innacuracey is either due to them not picking up a proper tach signal or because of the gear he was running in. I've seen this happen in my case...no way when I was N/A that I was making 200 WHP and 400 lbs of torque lol That was due to not picking up a good tach signal.
Hahaha, I know. I was just trying to help him see that his car is not junk. I said I was just guessing, it is possible for his car to make that much if you assume everything I did. I don't know the peak torque RPMS or the redline, so I can't be 100% accurate, nor would I ever be(like all dynos are lol). Either way, I was still more help then all the people that didn't read through the thread.

I think the best bet would be to lock it in 2nd and do the math like jokieman suggested.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:46 PM

Hahaha, I know. I was just trying to help him see that his car is not junk. I said I was just guessing, it is possible for his car to make that much if you assume everything I did. I don't know the peak torque RPMS or the redline, so I can't be 100% accurate, nor would I ever be(like all dynos are lol). Either way, I was still more help then all the people that didn't read through the thread.

I think the best bet would be to lock it in 2nd and do the math like jokieman suggested.
True.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:52 PM

Where are all the people saying 280Z isn't helpful??? Or that say he just puts people down? Its funny they only see what they want.

Anywho you should definetly do a 2nd gear run if 3rd is too high.

Also you were saying you can't do a 3rd gear pull but you can. They have to run it in 2nd and take it high in the RPM's to right before it will shift then put it and drive and punch it, this will give you a 3rd gear pull with out any screw ups, they just need to know what they are doing.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chevypowered
Where are all the people saying 280Z isn't helpful??? Or that say he just puts people down? Its funny they only see what they want.
Personally, I believe you can be helpful without calling other users in the thread idiots.

But anyone who reads 280z's posts can see he has more knowledge than the majority of the users here.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Get low

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
First off from reading this there are two big things I noticed.
1. Your Cobalt does not have a 4K rev limiter, it's more like 6500.
2. Bump shift your tranny up from 1-2-3, when you get the go hammer it until it's just before touching the rev limiter. Dyno the 4speed auto in 3, and I guarantee your numbers will be higher.
3. Don't forget to put on the e-brake if you have traction control while on the dyno, that'll mess up your numbers as well.

ok this is just whats pissing me off guys, thankk you to those that read what i type, youve all helped a ton.... but this is the ignorance i hate,,,,

1. yes my cobalt does have a 4K RPM limiter.... put ur car into park or neutral rev it past 4K and show me a vid of it holding at like 5K i would love to see that. If you are talking about the car limiting you in drive... aka it wont go past 6500 because it shifts too early, thats not a limiter ITS A SHIFT POINT. Im sorry but when somone corrects you do some reasearch before you try to shoot them down.

2.I know my numbers should be higher, and cannot "bump shift" as you call it from 1-2-3 as i said i have 1-2-D meaning it goes from 3 to 4 without my control.... ive said this many times, u can even see it in my second video(im not linking again) he shifts it from 1-2-D and it holds a strong 3rd then shifts

3.It wont really mess up numbers too bad, plus if somone puts a FWD car on the dyno w/o an ebrake they are risking it and in my book thats just kinda dumb

once again thanks to you that helped (280Z and NJHK espicially) and thanks for those who tried, i just cant stand the ignorance floating around on this thred, if your wrong its ok but dont be a dick about it
Old 05-28-2006, 06:42 PM

get some more mods, regardless of what you should be pushing stock you only have exhaust and a intake. i still say get 2.25" piping. get a bored out t/b, cams, engine mount kit, some boost and then youll see some numbers
Old 05-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Get low

the car is more show/daily driver but i wanna back it up.... as i said 2.25 wont fit good enough for me cuz im lowered more than most ppl on here(daily driver so i need to have some clearence)... the bored out TB does 1.5 hp max ive herd from another thred a long tinme ago.... it will help though that 1.5 can easily be 5 with a good intake plus the intake HP ... engine mounts im not too worried..... cams eventually with new lifters and injectors but its a daily driver so im waiting a bit.... thanks for the ideas though i hope to go turbo eventually but need to do internals first... once i get guts enough to rip stuff apart i want to send my head out and work on the valvetrain
Old 05-28-2006, 07:47 PM

how low is your car?? will the extra .25 really make a dif but i hope you can one day get some valid numbers in the engine tuners thread some one said hp tuners has a tranny controller done and they are working on the engine maybe get a hold of them and see if its really done
Old 05-28-2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by biohazard
once again thanks to you that helped (280Z and NJHK espicially)
No problem. If you need any further help, join us on our forum (check my signature). Peace.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:03 PM

the car is more show/daily driver but i wanna back it up.... as i said 2.25 wont fit good enough for me cuz im lowered more than most ppl on here(daily driver so i need to have some clearence)... the bored out TB does 1.5 hp max ive herd from another thred a long tinme ago.... it will help though that 1.5 can easily be 5 with a good intake plus the intake HP ... engine mounts im not too worried..... cams eventually with new lifters and injectors but its a daily driver so im waiting a bit.... thanks for the ideas though i hope to go turbo eventually but need to do internals first... once i get guts enough to rip stuff apart i want to send my head out and work on the valvetrain
Don't ever go by other peoples dyno #s. It might give you somewhat of an idea of what you could POSSIBLY make but there is no gaurantee that you will produce the same amount of power as that person...heck, you could produce more power than them, each motor is different and each setup is different even with the same exact modifications. Remember, no 2 motors will perform exactly the same.

You don't need internal work if you're boosting your 2.2L, it all depends on what you plan on doing and the power range you're aiming for. If you need any further help as far as preparing for boost, contact me and I'll help you as much as possible. If you're looking to build your own turbo kit, please read this write up I did:

How To: Build your ow ECOTEC Turbo kit.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Clmbngfrk18
how low is your car?? will the extra .25 really make a dif but i hope you can one day get some valid numbers in the engine tuners thread some one said hp tuners has a tranny controller done and they are working on the engine maybe get a hold of them and see if its really done
Ride height shouldn't play a big effect like this on a dyno.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

TB won't necessarily release a lot of power. But it does improve throttle response and air flow. Besides the air flow thing, think of the TB upgrade to be the same as a flywheel upgrade, it can greatly increase throttle response.

And don't mention it, I help when I can.

06G5GT, I only called the people that can NOT or are too lazy to read idiots, is that not a true description of those people??
Old 05-28-2006, 09:03 PM

06G5GT, I only called the people that can NOT or are too lazy to read idiots, is that not a true description of those people??
But what if they ARE reading it and just can't comprehend what is being said because their knowledge is currently limited?

For those of us that have been around awhile, it wasn't hard to understand. But 15 years ago when I had my 1st car, this wouldn't have made any sense to me either.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06G5GT
But what if they ARE reading it and just can't comprehend what is being said because their knowledge is currently limited?

For those of us that have been around awhile, it wasn't hard to understand. But 15 years ago when I had my 1st car, this wouldn't have made any sense to me either.
That is where Mark Twain comes in.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:28 PM

new to the site came over from the .com site. my dyno day on a dyno jet were 133whp and 165 with the 50 hp jets in and terribly rich. just my results
Old 05-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Get low

hp tuners hurry up with my controller lol... im done as far as performance goes until this comes out
Old 05-29-2006, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Ride height shouldn't play a big effect like this on a dyno.

i was saying that becuase he says his car is too low for 2.25 inch piping which would be best im not sure how low the tenzo springs drop it but it probally not lower than the sportlines and unless he goes over some rather large speed bumps it shouldnt bottom out but if he wants 2 inch that up to him its his car not mine

also how would ride height affect the dyno at all that just makes no sense
Old 05-29-2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Clmbngfrk18
i was saying that becuase he says his car is too low for 2.25 inch piping which would be best im not sure how low the tenzo springs drop it but it probally not lower than the sportlines and unless he goes over some rather large speed bumps it shouldnt bottom out but if he wants 2 inch that up to him its his car not mine

also how would ride height affect the dyno at all that just makes no sense
ok my mistake...

But no, I'm lower than him on 2 1/2" piping, don't make a real difference. Last thing you're worrying about is your exhaust piping...first thing is body.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:02 AM
Get low

the piping hangs way under the body.... i was worried about it snagging something I.E. roadkill i have to straddle last minute, a bad bounce form a rail road track... and yes it is lower then the sportlines.... it says 2 in front 2.5 in back or something, but its more like 2.5 in front 4 in back ..... it looks airbagged
Old 05-29-2006, 01:02 AM
Get low

and dont say that would make the front higher then the back, it dosent
Old 05-29-2006, 01:28 AM

the piping hangs way under the body.... i was worried about it snagging something I.E. roadkill i have to straddle last minute, a bad bounce form a rail road track... and yes it is lower then the sportlines.... it says 2 in front 2.5 in back or something, but its more like 2.5 in front 4 in back ..... it looks airbagged
If it's installed properly, it shouldn't be hanging like you described.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Get low

the crease under my car wont allow the pipe to fit up into it, so it would be under the body.... i know there are catbacks that are 2.25 and i think MAYBE one that is 2.5 how they make it fit idk maybe because of it being machined.... mine is done by hand and 3 different shops said they wouldnt be able to fit a 2.25 into the crevece
Old 05-29-2006, 05:17 PM

ohh ok i can see how a shop may not beable to do it do you have a pic of a side shot of your car ?? also how do the tenzo's handle??

Quick Reply: went to the dyno.... very upset