2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

What more is there to do?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What more is there to do?!?!

Si Ive had my cobalt for a few months now and have now bought the GMPP performance exhaust and soon to have an intake. but I was wondering, what all is there left to do for our cars (2.2L) before tuning comes out? You can have intake, header, catback, cams and what else? I know I must be missing something? But what is it? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

You can upgrade your valve train, port and polish your head. Or you can goto suspension to make your car handle.

Not to mention add pistons, rods, crankshaft etc..
Old 02-22-2007, 08:26 PM

ohh. ok. thanks Rally, anyone do any of these things yet that he mentioned like port and polish? and if so your thoughts and prices of this?

Also how are you likeing the REX Rally? My friend and I had a blast in his during the ice and snow storm we had here in Pa last week.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned

Freakin love it because in the blizzard last week I could go anywhere I Wanted and I Saw people getting stuck like crazy
Old 02-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could do nothing but research.

Preparation could be more satisfying than you think and it's more wise to do rather than to just buy random parts and not know what you're getting into.

That's my suggestion.

Read this: http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2435

Last edited by NJHK; 02-22-2007 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NJHK
You could do nothing but research.

Preparation could be more satisfying than you think and it's more wise to do rather than to just buy random parts and not know what you're getting into.

That's my suggestion.

Read this: http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2435
Be careful if you goto ecotecforum.com Adam loves da buttsecks over there. Probly why he hasn't been posting here for a month
Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
Be careful if you goto ecotecforum.com Adam loves da buttsecks over there. Probly why he hasn't been posting here for a month
I post here all the time...dummy :P

and quit whoring his thread!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 PM

NJHK...I was just lookin for some ideas as to what else there is to do before I turbo late late late this year hopefully. But i just wanted to know what I should do in the mean time while I wait for the funds to build. And yes I know about building up the drivetrain before turbo time.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by DebadgedBALT77
NJHK...I was just lookin for some ideas as to what else there is to do before I turbo late late late this year hopefully. But i just wanted to know what I should do in the mean time while I wait for the funds to build. And yes I know about building up the drivetrain before turbo time.
Being totally honest...

Don't buy anything.

A turbo project is very involved and I'm just "assuming" that you're still new to a turbo setup. It's also very costly to do or get into, even if you buy a kit. There are items like widebands, EGT gauges, Fuel Pressure Gauges, Dyno Tuning and the list goes on.
There is no point in wasting money on items that are going to give you minimal gains when you should focus on maintaining your main power adder.

I'm talking purely from my experience. You should learn as much as possible so you are ready for this head on. I can suggest some write ups or even you buying books that will help you.

Patience is key. Save as much money as possible so you are ready for this project when it's ready and you have the knowledge for this type of project.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:00 PM

No by all means if you have any info on good books to buy Id love to know what they are. This automotive stuff comes easy to me for some reason. I just seem to soak up everything I read about. I guess thats a good thing.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lets get specific.

What exactly do you want to do? It sounds like you want to go turbo. Great. You don't have to upgrade anything on your powertrain to do that if you don't want to. So don't. If you want, you can work on suspension. There is all kinds of things you can do there.

You are in the right place, and are talking to the right people. Except those other two guys don't even own Cobalts!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Lets get specific.

What exactly do you want to do? It sounds like you want to go turbo. Great. You don't have to upgrade anything on your powertrain to do that if you don't want to. So don't. If you want, you can work on suspension. There is all kinds of things you can do there.

You are in the right place, and are talking to the right people. Except those other two guys don't even own Cobalts!
Don't own a cobalt but still have a turbo

But NJHK, don't trust him. Hes a mod on an ecotec forum and drives a mitsubishi...
Old 02-22-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
Don't own a cobalt but still have a turbo

But NJHK, don't trust him. Hes a mod on an ecotec forum and drives a mitsubishi...
He was joking dummy :P
Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 PM

Well I got the exhaust just for now. But Im gonna lower it some to get rid of that god awful wheel gap. but then Im gonna work on handing. I will upgrade the drivetrain just to be safe. But Im not lookin for and all out 1/4 mile queen. I want something thats quick and will still prove to be a fun street car. So 250 hp is fine for now. I have been reading everything youve posted though halfcent.

NJHK If you have any of those books Id be interested so I can go get myself a copy to read.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:38 PM

^^^Yeah. NJHK, what books would you suggest that would help someone learn about tuning?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:44 PM

Well I got the exhaust just for now. But Im gonna lower it some to get rid of that god awful wheel gap. but then Im gonna work on handing. I will upgrade the drivetrain just to be safe. But Im not lookin for and all out 1/4 mile queen. I want something thats quick and will still prove to be a fun street car. So 250 hp is fine for now. I have been reading everything youve posted though halfcent.

NJHK If you have any of those books Id be interested so I can go get myself a copy to read.
Look up a book called "Street Turbocharging" on half.com

Has a yellow RX-7 on the front cover

Originally Posted by XM15
^^^Yeah. NJHK, what books would you suggest that would help someone learn about tuning?
Tuning...

I'm still reading this book...almost halfway done. Been busy so I haven't completed it yet but it's very detailed and a good read, it's called:

"How to: Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems"

It has a Ford Focus on the front cover. Go on half.com and you'll find it.

Last edited by NJHK; 02-22-2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 PM

Alright thanks man. I ordered both of those. By the way, what HP gains would I get from some cams. Not too much yet would I. Less than 10 for sure?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:50 PM

Same here; thanks alot for the suggestions.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:56 PM

Alright thanks man. I ordered both of those. By the way, what HP gains would I get from some cams. Not too much yet would I. Less than 10 for sure?
Good

There aren't any real preset gains from putting different camshafts in...I highly suggest reading this thread: http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2974

Originally Posted by XM15
Same here; thanks alot for the suggestions.
You're very welcome.

Last edited by NJHK; 02-22-2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-22-2007, 10:06 PM

I dont know what else to say other than thanks man. You guys have been a great help. Im just gonna get the intake and keep the exhasut for now until I decide how much longer im gonna wait till i go FI. When that day comes Ill be right back here asking for some help.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you know you are getting a turbo, don't bother with an intake. If will have to be removed with the turbo installation.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:20 PM

If you are going for a turbo, then save save save. Intake is useless, and so is buying almost anything dealing with intake or exhaust within the engine compartment. You may want to look into reinforced components. Look at gauges (lots of people like the interceptors), the gauge pods, etc. Suspension is aways good. There are springs, sway bars, and strut bars available.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 PM

I dont know what else to say other than thanks man. You guys have been a great help. Im just gonna get the intake and keep the exhasut for now until I decide how much longer im gonna wait till i go FI. When that day comes Ill be right back here asking for some help.
You're welcome and Halfcent is correct, don't bother with a intake.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:53 AM

Ok. no intake. But on the topic of turbos. Do they let you make a payment plan? I thought I read somewhere that you can pay 50% or something of the kit cost and then pay the rest of in monthly installments.? IM not sure, if they dont then thats fine Im just wondering. And then another question, who should I go with ( no bashing products or manufactureers please) Alpine or wait until Garrett comes out with there tuning? Thanks a bunch. And does anyone know a good tuning shop in the PA area,or in westren new york state? I will probably be installing it in that area but can haul it to a shop to be tuned. THANKS!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Being totally honest...

Don't buy anything.

A turbo project is very involved and I'm just "assuming" that you're still new to a turbo setup. It's also very costly to do or get into, even if you buy a kit. There are items like widebands, EGT gauges, Fuel Pressure Gauges, Dyno Tuning and the list goes on.
There is no point in wasting money on items that are going to give you minimal gains when you should focus on maintaining your main power adder.

I'm talking purely from my experience. You should learn as much as possible so you are ready for this head on. I can suggest some write ups or even you buying books that will help you.

Patience is key. Save as much money as possible so you are ready for this project when it's ready and you have the knowledge for this type of project.
If you're going to turbocharge, don't get a header now - it will get replaced when you do the turbo.

There's at least one direct bolt-on turbo system for the 2.2. See:

http://www.alpine-developments.us/chevy_cobalt.html

While there are other kits, I haven't seen any that are as comprehensive as this. This kit needs no additional tuning (since it has it's own fuel/spark management computer) and is a direct bolt-on. However, the drawback is it ain't cheap.

There's a link on the above site that is an article of this kit on an Ion. It's an interesting read.