NX nitrous kit
15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

what should come first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what should come first?

so what would jesus do? comp cams stage 1 or nitrous express kit? if you got a strong opinion behind your vote please include it.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:46 PM

How about better air and fuel flow to support all that first, kinda a big jump. Maybe CAI, exhuast, fuel injectors, plugs, wires then you'll be ready. But if I had a choice, Cams, NOS it just to risky for me, but you get the advantage of only using it when you want to save some gas. Is your car stock right now?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:49 PM

I think cams would make a noticable difference. It will be pretty expensive but depending on the size cams you go (as long as you have supporting mods) I think you'll be happy with the overall performance and the sound will be a plus
Old 05-09-2006, 01:54 PM

i'm not stock, injen cai and corsa sport catback. i'm looking to get more out of this setup and i find that the stg1 cam powerband would fit my driving habits. the nitrous is in my future but i know i'll get that daily driving kick with those cams and i do love to crusie.

check my vbgarage for mods
Old 05-09-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltCowboy
i'm not stock, injen cai and corsa sport catback. i'm looking to get more out of this setup and i find that the stg1 cam powerband would fit my driving habits. the nitrous is in my future but i know i'll get that daily driving kick with those cams and i do love to crusie.

check my vbgarage for mods
In that case with your mods, go with the cams, but some bigger injectors and plugs too. You can always add the bottle later. Keep us posted if you order and install!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:57 PM

I know it's not on your poll but if you're considering Nitrous I'd also swap out the stock header to increase air flow...every little bit helps. I voted the nitrous before cams since it's a guranteed decent boost in HP...being your daily driver the stage 1 cams would be a good choice though. As well...as long as you're smart with the nitrous it's not a dangerous modification it's just having the ability to tell yourself you shouldn't go to a larger shot that can be tough
Old 05-09-2006, 01:59 PM

If only a choice... The Spray will do more for you..
Old 05-09-2006, 02:03 PM

i plan on doing both but money talks and i can only get one in at a time. figured i'd get a little more day to day up front from the cams.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:17 PM

If you get spray, you will save no money... (Refils $$$)
Old 05-09-2006, 02:18 PM

Go cams then upgrade to the NOS, start with the mods you can build from. with NOS and stock cams, it won't perform to it's full potential and could cause damage. start small and build up, don't pull the wagon before the horse.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:32 PM

nitrous will give better bang for your buck
but remember, refills make it more of an investment
Old 05-09-2006, 02:35 PM

what the hell are you talking about? how are you going to damage anything with stock cams and nitrous? and you don't need larger injectors either until you start getting into drastically altering the head and block, meaning the entire engine's characteristics. wires? what wires? colder plugs are rule of thumb, I think he's aware of that already.

nitrous is not risky when setup right and with the correct knowledge. the vast majority of damage that happens is due to user error.

with ANY cams, you want to tune for them to show a real gain. keep that in mind when coming to your decision.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by slowion2
what the hell are you talking about? how are you going to damage anything with stock cams and nitrous? and you don't need larger injectors either until you start getting into drastically altering the head and block, meaning the entire engine's characteristics. wires? what wires? colder plugs are rule of thumb, I think he's aware of that already.
Your adding NOS, overtime it can cause damage if you don't upgrade, you're running the engine faster. With NOS it's like adding more fuel so bigger fuel injectors would let it reach full potential to get max A/F flow. And better spark plug wires to burn the spark hotter and more efficiently to burn the most you can in the cynlider to get the most bang out of the upgrade.
Just like the Stage II and Intense upgrade, they include bigger injectors, and intense gives you better wires and plugs that have less friction and resistance for the electricity current for more performance, and it's required even though you aren't changing the head or block.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:51 PM

+1 for cams
Old 05-09-2006, 02:57 PM

either you're misinformed, or just talking out of your ass. unless you have experience with nitrous, leave the advice to those of us who actually do

you have no more wear running nitrous than any other sort of forced induction. you do NOT have to upgrade your cams. if anything, it will help to have cams with more duration on the exhaust side for the increased exhaust, but it isn't something you absolutely need.

with nitrous you add n2o and fuel at the fogger in your typical wet kit, which most people are going to run. you don't need larger injectors, as the extra fuel is taken care of. all you're going to do is cause the engine to run overly rich all the time, and even more when actually spraying since the jets for all kits are setup to run on the rich side to help against detonation.

spark plug wires do not add horsepower unless the rest of the ignition components are upgraded enough to need the lower resistance and increased "flow" ability. even if they did, THERE ARE NO PLUG WIRES ANYWAY.

you're close, you want a stronger spark yes, but you do want a colder heat range plug, again to help against detonation. a stronger spark though for a more complete burn will definitely help out.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by juststickit124
Your adding NOS, overtime it can cause damage if you don't upgrade, you're running the engine faster. With NOS it's like adding more fuel so bigger fuel injectors would let it reach full potential to get max A/F flow. And better spark plug wires to burn the spark hotter and more efficiently to burn the most you can in the cynlider to get the most bang out of the upgrade.
Just like the Stage II and Intense upgrade, they include bigger injectors, and intense gives you better wires and plugs that have less friction and resistance for the electricity current for more performance, and it's required even though you aren't changing the head or block.
max safe shot is 75 on the 2.2L, thats not enough to require anything drastic done to the engine.

so what wires do you have on your SS/SC? are they aftermarket or are they stock?

good luck with the n2o, its my fave way to go as well
Old 05-09-2006, 03:00 PM

I'm willing to bet that you could manage a 100 shot if you could pull timing a bit, but I wouldn't recommend anyone try it on their daily driver
Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 PM

spark plug wires do not add horsepower unless the rest of the ignition components are upgraded enough to need the lower resistance and increased "flow" ability. even if they did, THERE ARE NO PLUG WIRES ANYWAY.
god damn, i wanted to see if he would say his wires were still stock
kinda hard to take advice from someone who cant even look under his own hood
Old 05-09-2006, 03:02 PM

lol I know, if I knew ahead of time I would have helped in the setup
Old 05-09-2006, 03:03 PM

sorry, i almost forgot, +1 for cams
that will prob be your best chance at being able to eventually have both
Old 05-09-2006, 03:04 PM

lol I know, if I knew ahead of time I would have helped in the setup
well its almost time for me to change my distributor, wanna help?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:09 PM

**** yeah dude, I got some cross drilled brake lines that will help you out too, and some high-comp piston return springs, lemme know when you wanna do this
Old 05-09-2006, 03:17 PM

either you're misinformed, or just talking out of your ass. unless you have experience with nitrous, leave the advice to those of us who actually do

you have no more wear running nitrous than any other sort of forced induction. you do NOT have to upgrade your cams. if anything, it will help to have cams with more duration on the exhaust side for the increased exhaust, but it isn't something you absolutely need.

with nitrous you add n2o and fuel at the fogger in your typical wet kit, which most people are going to run. you don't need larger injectors, as the extra fuel is taken care of. all you're going to do is cause the engine to run overly rich all the time, and even more when actually spraying since the jets for all kits are setup to run on the rich side to help against detonation.

you're close, you want a stronger spark yes, but you do want a colder heat range plug, again to help against detonation. a stronger spark though for a more complete burn will definitely help out.

First of all read my post right, i didn't say you had to upgrade cams, if would just give it more potential. If you want to run NOS you engine is going to run faster, which might leave it starving for fuel if injectors aren't big enough, and you want them to run rich for detonation, so bigger injectors wouldn't hurt, but yes, probably isn't required.

I never said plugs add horsepower, just are more efficient
. I don't know why I said wires, you got me there.

F**K it, he should just save up and go with both, lol. good words from slowion2, looks like he's got the NOS back up'd. so it's up to you now!
Old 05-09-2006, 03:18 PM

I'm use to working on old classics so I guess I got a little side track, this is my first car newer then 1973, and i only have had it for a couple months, sorry for the misinformation
Old 05-09-2006, 03:19 PM

**** yeah dude, I got some cross drilled brake lines that will help you out too, and some high-comp piston return springs, lemme know when you wanna do this
sounds like fun, my left handed wrenches are right next to my 3/16 douche in the garage....oh wait i live in an appartment...