NX nitrous kit
15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

what should come first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juststickit124
First of all read my post right, i didn't say you had to upgrade cams, if would just give it more potential. If you want to run NOS you engine is going to run faster, which might leave it starving for fuel if injectors aren't big enough, and you want them to run rich for detonation, so bigger injectors wouldn't hurt, but yes, probably isn't required.

I never said plugs add horsepower, just are more efficient
. I don't know why I said wires, you got me there.

F**K it, he should just save up and go with both, lol. good words from slowion2, looks like he's got the NOS back up'd. so it's up to you now!
actually yes you did, you told him if he didn't upgrade his cams it would damage something. I don't understand what you mean by "run faster" unless you mean how it will pull through the gears faster? that's not going to make a difference with anything really but hey something to consider as far as the stress the transmission will endure.

what I meant by menitoning your statement about injectors is that you don't need them. you run rich with the nitrous as it is, you don't want ot totally wash the cylinders out with fuel, it's not going to do ****.

all cams love nitrous, so yeah both together would be great. honestly going with cams first would be "financially smarter" because you WILL burn some serious dough refilling the bottle, and in turn won't have the funds for the cams later on.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:33 PM

I'm use to working on old classics so I guess I got a little side track, this is my first car newer then 1973, and i only have had it for a couple months, sorry for the misinformation
ah it's all good, at least you admit it, no blood no foul dude

that makes sense then, you're probably considering him running a dry shot as many used to after rejetting the carb and tunning it on the rich side.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:38 PM

Go cams then upgrade to the NOS, start with the mods you can build from. with NOS and stock cams, it won't perform to it's full potential and could cause damage. start small and build up, don't pull the wagon before the horse.

HA! Could cause damage! I didn't say it would! lol, just had to prove it! anyways...

Originally Posted by slowion2
ah it's all good, at least you admit it, no blood no foul dude

that makes sense then, you're probably considering him running a dry shot as many used to after rejetting the carb and tunning it on the rich side.
Ya I admit I'm dumb every now and then, most of them time. CivicKiller remembers when I was bagging on RicerHater, that was just dumb on my part, lol. Ya NOS is a dry shot on oldie's, non injection too, just figured the same principles could be applied. I'm only 19 too, I should really start learning about this ****. Well when it come time to upgrade my cams and NOS, i'm asking you!
Old 05-09-2006, 03:46 PM

ah you got me haha, I didn't go back to check

some things apply, some don't, but nothing you can't pick up in time.

the first time you go to tune and see there's more than 4 circuits of adjustments, you're gonna **** LOL
Old 05-09-2006, 03:58 PM

Carburetors, plugs, and wires was so much easier, damn technology. Do they make an access port type thing to tune our cars?
Old 05-09-2006, 04:06 PM

supposedly there's a few in the works, but a simple a/f controller can at least help fine tuning, being the ecu doesn't pull or add too much ignition timing. no "simple" solution yet though.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:11 PM

Cams = all day driving fun
Nitrous = big one shot deal
Old 05-09-2006, 06:20 PM

I'm not gonna vote for either of those. There's more that you should do to your car before you hit something big like NOS or cams. Header... high flow cat... bigger TB... to name the first few. Then get a shift kit for that tranny. After that... sure... shoot for something like cams or NOS. But cover the basics of airflow management first.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:41 PM

holding off on the header and cat for now. waiting on a good quailty product. i also heard that a bigger tb wont help due the 2.2 programming. i could be wrong on that last point, simply something i've heard.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:54 PM

nothing to do with programming, but a larger overall bore isn't going to net a whole lot of a gain if any, as opposed to porting the mouth out in a funnel shape that gets smaller as it gets to the throttle plate (called the venturi effect, just like on a carb) which will increase velocity as it passes through the throttle body.

I'm in the same boat though as far as a header, not very impressed so far.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:12 PM

you got a cat already? or one in mind?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:32 PM

I'm going to vote for the nitrous first...you can make great power with just bolt ons + a 75 shot. Stage 1 cams are not going to give you a huge upgrade anyway, atleast not when compared to nitrous. I personally would hold off on the cams until you are ready to do some headwork, then replace the entire valvetrain along with the cams at the same time and you'll be doing pretty well.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:11 PM

If you want to take full effect of the cams you might possibly, go ahead and spend some more for a mild port n polish job on the head, youll be pleased. Ive seen up to a 30whp with just cams and port n polish on a other wise stock ecotec motor, these motors are great, but the stock heads are kinda restrictive past 250hp. Thats my opinion, i want to do this as well, then spray...it'll just help out the airflow that much more when you spray if you decide to. IM kinda with slowion on the whole deal though, he's pretty much got it down. Keep nitrous to us professionals, dont let noobs tell you how nitrous sucks and will blow your motor, its all in the setup and the users preference.