2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

What type of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
use 87 your car is not tuned for higher and if you use higher less is burned which clogs our crappy factory cat which is maybe why some of you dont have black gunk at tail end.Believe me its happened to me already when i used higher octane. I had to get a whole new dp but of course my dealership didnt charge me because of warranty and played it dumb pure and innocent. plz i warn you all use 87 octane unless you are tuned

Last edited by xpod666; 02-06-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ml2242
I now use 93 octane after using 89 since i got my car. My reasoning:
After installing my GMPP sport exhaust and straight cut tip i noticed a build up of a black substance which im assuming is carbon inside of the tip and after i would wipe it off it would build up again after about a week. After running 93 octane this is no longer a buildup of black substance. I'm assuming this is because the fuel is burning cleaner and more efficiently. This may mean nothing or there may be something wrong with my engine =P who knows! PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong.
this is not true at all. you have a 2.2l, you should be using regular 87.

Originally Posted by cobaltrx
actually higher octane does burn cleaner and it also makes for the Air to mix and combust easier in the combustin chamber producing less *sut* build up in your exhaust
higher octane absolutely does not burn any cleaner. read up on octane and what it is, and what it's not. burning cleaner is one of the top octane myths of all time.

Originally Posted by 07BluBalt
it doesnt hurt the 2.2 to run 91 does it.?
running too high an octane hurts more than it helps. no reason for you to use anything other than 87 in your car.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
this is not true at all. you have a 2.2l, you should be using regular 87.

higher octane absolutely does not burn any cleaner. read up on octane and what it is, and what it's not. burning cleaner is one of the top octane myths of all time.

running too high an octane hurts more than it helps. no reason for you to use anything other than 87 in your car.
Yeah you tell them D4u2s0t
Old 02-06-2008, 01:03 AM

well first---I have run both 91 and 87 in my 07 cobalt, and i've only noticed like 20miles difference in the use of either. There is that muffler thread showing tuned and untuned gains of like 1% HP and TQ between 87 and 91...don't know what thats about...gotta dig that up again.....

As for the science behind gas.....the more carbon-carbon bonds in your gas, the more energy thats made when they break. So if you live like me in Vegas, we have an oxygenized ~95% gas and 5% ethanol mix. Some places here have 90% gas and 10% ethanol, the octane rating may be the same all over the USA for 91 but the makeup of the gas can be different. The more gas and less ethanol you have, the more energy released in the explosion. All octane really is, is the resistance to premature detonation that causes knocking in your car. Now gas's optimum fuel:air ratio is 12.5:1. However the compression on your car also plays a big role, altitude, barometric pressure, and manifold vacuum all play into the account of how much air you (are able to) suck into your cylinder and how much the EFI pumps into it. if I was in somewhere below sea level - I would want to use 91 with our 10.0:1 compression ratios (my 2.2s), because you have a lot more air in your cylinders than us in vegas at 4800ft elevation.

Octane DOES produce performance difference when engines are running at peak power(tq) or under heavy loads. For example, the engine maximum power is reduced by about 4% with a fuel switch from 93 to 91 octane (11 hp, from 291 to 280 hp). If the engine is being run below maximum load, the difference in octane will have even less effect. Higher elevation means less octane is needed.

(courtesy of answers.com)
Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by avenger09123
well first---I have run both 91 and 87 in my 07 cobalt, and i've only noticed like 20miles difference in the use of either. There is that muffler thread showing tuned and untuned gains of like 1% HP and TQ between 87 and 91...don't know what thats about...gotta dig that up again.....

As for the science behind gas.....the more carbon-carbon bonds in your gas, the more energy thats made when they break. So if you live like me in Vegas, we have an oxygenized ~95% gas and 5% ethanol mix. Some places here have 90% gas and 10% ethanol, the octane rating may be the same all over the USA for 91 but the makeup of the gas can be different. The more gas and less ethanol you have, the more energy released in the explosion. All octane really is, is the resistance to premature detonation that causes knocking in your car. Now gas's optimum fuel:air ratio is 12.5:1. However the compression on your car also plays a big role, altitude, barometric pressure, and manifold vacuum all play into the account of how much air you (are able to) suck into your cylinder and how much the EFI pumps into it. if I was in somewhere below sea level - I would want to use 91 with our 10.0:1 compression ratios (my 2.2s), because you have a lot more air in your cylinders than us in vegas at 4800ft elevation.

Octane DOES produce performance difference when engines are running at peak power(tq) or under heavy loads. For example, the engine maximum power is reduced by about 4% with a fuel switch from 93 to 91 octane (11 hp, from 291 to 280 hp). If the engine is being run below maximum load, the difference in octane will have even less effect. Higher elevation means less octane is needed.

(courtesy of answers.com)
Thats also why some areas of the usa offer 89 as the lowest and not 87 sometimes youll even see 90/91 as the base gas rate of octane but if 87 is still offered in your area id still stick with it as it is regulated by the govs

Originally Posted by 07cobaltguy
i put 89 in since down here in jackson the gas goes 89 91 93 rather than 87 89 91
just like this town

Last edited by xpod666; 02-06-2008 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost