2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

What's wrong with my car someone help (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What's wrong with my car someone help (long post)

somethinggg is messed up with it.
i got it supercharger at a local shop with the zzp full kit brand new in august, there was a few little problems with idle, surging, and stalling and there was some reverse problem caused by a burnt wire, because i didnt properly secure the harness i unplugged off the one pump that came off the header thats part of SAI.
car was fine for 3 months besides these problems, the guy who did the install knew about the stalling and his response was "thats weird because it only does it sometimes" and the whole reverse problem he said it was a burned wire and all that told me he would fix it for free, i told him that me giving up my car for more than a few hours is hard because i always need it and that i was free on one saturday to give him the car, he didnt even respond. he wasnt helping much and all that hard to get a response from so i went to MA to get the car retuned from a member on here. i drove there fine. 3 hours away and i even stopped off at a rest area for 15 minutes to get something to eat no problems at all with the car.. I got there and got the tuner hpt plugged in and the car wouldnt start. he pulled up a Fuel pump relay code.
the guys there looked at everything checked out the fuel pump relay which was fine and all that, and came to conclusion the PCM was fried i had a static injector and there was a puddle of fuel in cylinder 1, it wasnt the injector harness because we tried one from another cobalt.. they were diagnosting it for 9 hours so i had to tow it (to NY, 3 hours away) and brought it to my dealer. the pcm was bad and i had a bad cell in the battery.
GM put in a new pcm in and the guy who supercharged build told me he wasnt going to be able to do anymore tuning because he is a fulltime teacher and all that so but said he could just reflash the car but had to relicense it with hp tuners. he did that he reflashed the car with the supercharged tune he tuned the car with in august. and the car had a cel for crank relearn and it would stall when you would accelerate. it idled and all that. so the gm tech did the crank relearn and it still stalled and he said you cant drive it and said this thing needs to be retuned.. so at this point i was like cooool because the original guy was too busy to do more looking over of the car
so i got it towed to another hptuner and he has had it since middle of november. he said the tcm was bad, so he got a new one and reprogramed it (he has tech 2)
he said he repaired the burned wires that went down to the transmission that got burned hen i installed my header with new wires, and the car ran fine and idles fine, he drove the car 2 weeks ago said it drove fine and that it drove amazing,than he got it back to his place and moved it to a different spot and thats when he said the car did the same thing it was doing which would be dying after you accelerate. i havent seen this happen because i havent seen the car running since it was at gm after it got reflashed. he said sometimes he gets no signal from the bcm i think, its very confusing stuff to try and rephrase, what he said is weird is that it doesnt always do this. so i dont know if theres a short somewheres. or what the deal is because the tcm and pcm are both BRAND NEW from GM he said he tested the throttle body with another one he had and that my tb is fine,

so i have no clue what im going to do. my dad called the guy who did the build and all that and he told him he didnt have the free time to look at the car. keep in mind hes a fulltime teacher AND somehow owns and operates a full performance tuning business. dyno installs everything.
so he told my dad he was going to talk to the tech at gm,because he taught about 95% of them at chevy and he does work for the dealership with their performace cars that have problems (customers).
i talked with zzp and they said they can almost gaurentee that its tune related, problem is there is NO one out here that tunes specifically cobalts.

so if anyone can help me out that would be appreciated. i have a copy of my tune, that which the guy who i got the car towed to said there was a number of things that werent tuned properly, he did adjustments but i guess put this tune back on the car. i brought the car to another place (my dad suggested i bring it there altho thatwas pretty much useless because they dont do ANY tuning whatsoever)
it could be the scaling of the injectors,or the injectors are flat out bad.
any one who wants to look at my tune please let me know
Old 12-23-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take out the supercharger.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:54 PM

thats one of my options, however i myself dont have the time to take it out myself. i work fulltime and all that. and have no tools whatsoever. i didnt know how to put it in so thats why i had someone put it in for me. and i guess the guy who installed it is too busy to even look at it.
im sure theres gotta be something wrong that can be fixed
Old 12-23-2012, 02:03 PM

Honestly there is more than one issue going on there so it's hard to even know where to begin. That's why it's gonna be hard to give you advice on what to do. I would also agree its something with the tune and it sounds like your turn keeps frying the cars computers somewhere. Have you thought of a dyno tune?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:12 PM

the car was dyno tuned and i felt the tune was shitty because it wasnt right when i left the place and the guy knew about it. i felt they tuned it to the point where i could drive it than sent me on my way. i need a tuner who actually knows cobalts and can properly tune me. and locally there arent any
Old 12-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Just buy HP Tuners
Old 12-23-2012, 02:23 PM

no experience how to tune and don't want to take tuning into my own hands.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:26 PM

If I were you I'd put the car back to stock and drive it (or sell it for something that will start and drive every morning) and part out the rest. Way more trouble than it's worth to keep screwing with it especially if its your only car.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:42 PM

don't most people just do remote tuning now anyway? there has to someone on the site who can send you a base tune to get the car started so you can start datalogging and get the thing tuned
Old 12-23-2012, 02:49 PM

yeah i know chris. and than its the whole thing what if i take the sc off and back to na and the car is still fucked. than that'd be a waist of time.
its just hard to put it back to NA when i don't have the tools or anyone else to help me.
didn't know how to put it on so don't really know the reverse process.
and seems as if no ones free to take it off.
was thinking about calling Morgan at synapse and seeing if they can take a look at it

Originally Posted by jdn902
don't most people just do remote tuning now anyway? there has to someone on the site who can send you a base tune to get the car started so you can start datalogging and get the thing tuned

well i don't have hpt nor any friends that have hpt either. so even if someone was willing to id have to have someone with hpt do the flashing.

Last edited by Cobalt08LS; 12-23-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Buy HPT and have ZZP send you a file.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:58 PM

It sucks that all this bullshit is still going on man, sorry. If you need help taking it off I'm in albany until jan 7th. What have you been doing for a car? I think if you really want to keep the car sc'ed you should just buy HPT and have james remote tune it. If it feels like its too much of a problem owning a highly modded car just go back to NA and have fun with it. Whatever you decide good luck man, merry christmas and stay in touch!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:02 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noorjariri
It sucks that all this bullshit is still going on man, sorry. If you need help taking it off I'm in albany until jan 7th. What have you been doing for a car? I think if you really want to keep the car sc'ed you should just buy HPT and have james remote tune it. If it feels like its too much of a problem owning a highly modded car just go back to NA and have fun with it. Whatever you decide good luck man, merry christmas and stay in touch!
he's been renting a car, which is costing way too much to keep up much longer.

I can't see this being just a tune issue, I would think this would be something physical. Only a monkey could mess up a tune so badly that it stalls under light acceleration.

Last edited by TommyP; 12-23-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:12 PM

As much as I would like to agree with you, I know how scummy and shitty some of the guys with shops near me are. I think the stalling issue is 100% injector latency + flow rate tuning. Seeing as the tune is 100% maf it isn't too difficult to get everything else spot on with a wideband. The inability to connect to the BCM is obviously a wiring issue, but an issue that only developed after the PCM swap. Someone fucked up on install or accidentally nicked a wire with a tool, taking off the insulator and causing a short. Maybe the short was there the entire time and that's what caused the initial issues, IDK. But it was definitely installer error which sucks, because no installer would ever take responsibility for it.

edit: just read your "just a tune issue" comment, I agree it is definitely a two-part (tune+wiring) issuse
Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 PM

well noor only wiring problem was those melted wires from
the sai pump thing. but the guy who had my car repaired them and has since drove the car since then
we should meet up and you should check my car out with hpt
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
text me if you get a chance bro.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Buy HPT and have ZZP send you a file.
steve at ZZP said "I am guessing that all of the issues are related to the tune. I really don't know how I can help you without having the car here, and on our dyno."

Originally Posted by royce777
text me if you get a chance bro.
just did

Last edited by Cobalt08LS; 12-23-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
someone help a brotha out.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Noorj!

Get you ass on over there and look at that thing for Brandon. Stat! Gotta see what needs to be fixed bofore you leave town on the 7th, so GO GO GO.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
someone help a brotha out.
i apprecite this alot dude.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Appreciate it when it gets fixed, lol.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Noorj!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

i would a take it to zzp or b if you 99% sure its the tune which i would say so id buy hpt and have james tune you. he knows alot about these cars any problem i have he knows what it is or a fix.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by klutch814
i would a take it to zzp or b if you 99% sure its the tune which i would say so id buy hpt and have james tune you. he knows alot about these cars any problem i have he knows what it is or a fix.
taking it to zzp isnt an option
i have been talking to james he said he cant tune me because i dont live near him.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

A high school aged fellow shipping it to ZZP from Albany, New York is probably not going to happen. I think we need to be more realistic here. nooj is up there with HPT, if we can just get them both together where the car is.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my car someone help (long post)