2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Where to get a tune (I searched)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
Mainly because they are the only simple solution for the 05-06. I would rather be street tuned/dyno tuned anyday over a mail order tune.
You kinda take what you can get that works.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 007CobaltLS
I guess I don't understand the dilemma....it's not like a Superchip tuner or Diablo Sport tuner where you have a handheld tuner that you can't adjust...Vince sends a tuner with your tune...then it can be tweaked here and there...it's not totally the same principle...it still is a custom tune, not canned...how's that not as good? You can data log info and Vince will tweak it as necessary to dial it in...

Like I said, maybe I don't understand something...explain the difference between what he does and a street/dyno tune...
The way I look at it is that if you do something major such as a SC/TC/Whatever and he doesnt get the correct values the first time it may take several hours-several days for him to remote tune it where as having the car tuned at a shop/yourself will mean less down time, my car is a DD as are most people on this forum so it is more of a matter of convenience.

I am not downing the method just factoring in everything.
Originally Posted by 06_ion2
You kinda take what you can get that works.
I know but like I said, it is the only simple soloution. You could always get a stand alone or piggyback, have it wired in, then make changes on the fly.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:11 PM

I understand you point, but at the same time, when you get your initial tune, you can generally drive your car safely (may not be able to race it around or drive it to it's full potential, but it will still be drivable while you wait for the tweaks). I would say at least 7 out of 10 people would be able to still drive their car...not that I know the number, but that's my guess.

Of course I don't have to worry about that right now, I'm getting a tune for just intake, header, dp, cat-back (gas mileage tune)...then someday when the car is paid I will go M62 route. Of course it will still be my DD, but by then I may have the option of another car in the driveway as well (hoping for Sky RL)...I'd like to have a custom setup SC on my LS and an LNF as well.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:40 PM

Ok, I now this thread is old but what are (if any) benefits can you get from this tune on a 06 2.2 cobalt??? I just have basic cold air intake and a gm touring exaust. About how much will be gained and is it worth it with basic mods???
Old 02-21-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
The way I look at it is that if you do something major such as a SC/TC/Whatever and he doesnt get the correct values the first time it may take several hours-several days for him to remote tune it where as having the car tuned at a shop/yourself will mean less down time, my car is a DD as are most people on this forum so it is more of a matter of convenience.

I am not downing the method just factoring in everything.

I know but like I said, it is the only simple soloution. You could always get a stand alone or piggyback, have it wired in, then make changes on the fly.
all you have to do is talk to him and set up a specific day/ time .. and he'll work with you till it's right.. thats how i do it with all my customers and we've spent hours datalogging cars until they're absolutely right

and has anyone actually tried using hptuners to tune the L61 last time i talked to bill at HPtuners it was a mistake on their site and only 08 LE5's were supported

no 2.2's aren't supported with hptuners

"05-09 Chevy Cobalt 2.0, 2.4 (08+ 2.4 Not Supported)"

Last edited by elecblue06; 02-21-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by nimble
Ok, I now this thread is old but what are (if any) benefits can you get from this tune on a 06 2.2 cobalt??? I just have basic cold air intake and a gm touring exaust. About how much will be gained and is it worth it with basic mods???
as mentioned earlier in this thread youd be better off just buyin more performance parts and then tuning so you wont end up wasting time and money to retune
Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 PM

Yeah in most cases (not mine) it is best to get most or all your bolt-ons done before the tune....if you plan to go FI or do certain other things for big power, you'll want to make sure you have it there to load into the car right after the stuff is installed (referring to FI, cams, 2.4 TB [assuming you have the 2.4 IM], etc.).

In my case I will be tuning after basic Injen CAI, Pacesetter header, Exhaust Depot DP, LSJ cat-back. My tune will be for MPG's and a little extra power. Somewhere a long ways down the road I may go for more performance and re-tune, but I'm doubting it as I want to pick up a Sky RL.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 AM

Is any one person better than the other in terms of how they do the trifecta tunes?

I've seen alot of "dealers" on here that claim to get a better price, and better performance. How much of this is true? Would it be worth the money saved or should I go with Vince?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:12 AM

The local trifecta dealers do not write the tunes, Vince still writes all the tunes himself, so if the local deals say better performance they're lying, they're simply working for/with Vince to sell his products to a bigger market. I can gaurentee a lower price then Vince sells them for, same exact performance since he's the brains behind it, writing the tune.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:35 PM

Cool, thanks for the info. I have seen alot of people on here talking about it, so that's why I asked.