2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Wierd sound on exahust...Suggestion and help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd sound on exahust...Suggestion and help needed

So i recently installe dmy full exhaust. This noise has been there since i first put it all on. It seems to be coming from the Downpipe but im not sure. It sound like having a screw with a small washer just shaking on it. I checked all connection and ever is tightened to specs and absolutely nothing is loose. Now i only hear it under acceleration. At WOT i can't hear it. My exhaust ism't loud at all since i got the corsa touring. My only though is that maybe it is a leak in my flex pipe.

Now my question is has anyone else had this problem?
Whats an easy fix?

Thanks for any help posted.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 PM

Have you checked where the header meets the head? Thats where my exhaust was leaking from. After you run it for a while, eventually you should be able to see where its leaking from by the carbon deposits.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:26 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you know the heat shield for the rear tranny mount...check to make sure its not toucing the header/dp, cuz i know on mine when i first installed my header and dp, the heatshield was touching the dp, and when the exhaust would vibrate, it would cause it to sound like i had a screw stuck somewhere in the engine bay, but look down there and see, and no dont take the shield off, you need it, just go down there with a pry bar/screwdriver, and bend the shield a bit so they dont touch, and problem solved, lemme know if that was the case
Old 04-19-2008, 05:16 PM

Ever heard a clogged/broken cat? If so does it sound like that? They all sound the same and they are hard to forget.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by XM15
Have you checked where the header meets the head? Thats where my exhaust was leaking from. After you run it for a while, eventually you should be able to see where its leaking from by the carbon deposits.
Yeah i double checked all connections and made sure everythign was nice and snug.

Originally Posted by Jn2
you know the heat shield for the rear tranny mount...check to make sure its not toucing the header/dp, cuz i know on mine when i first installed my header and dp, the heatshield was touching the dp, and when the exhaust would vibrate, it would cause it to sound like i had a screw stuck somewhere in the engine bay, but look down there and see, and no dont take the shield off, you need it, just go down there with a pry bar/screwdriver, and bend the shield a bit so they dont touch, and problem solved, lemme know if that was the case
Mine has perfect clearance. The only thing that touches sometimes is the actuall cat on the downpipe on the heat shield under the car not on the firewall. I know this isn't the case though because I can tell when its vibrating its sound different like an old whistle almost.

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
Ever heard a clogged/broken cat? If so does it sound like that? They all sound the same and they are hard to forget.
This is what i was thinking but someone told me it could be my flex pipe and that made a little more sense to me so i gotta check that out. Is there a way to check the cat without actually opening it up?

Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by lil_kano
This is what i was thinking but someone told me it could be my flex pipe and that made a little more sense to me so i gotta check that out. Is there a way to check the cat without actually opening it up?
Oh yeah, get under there when it is cold and gently tap it with a small hammer(use force but not enough to dent it). If it makes a jiggling sound or something like it's loose... Right there's your problem.