2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Is it worth it to mod an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aleckor
What's the difference between the performance exhaust and the touring exhaust? Isn't the performance one better/aggressive? That said, does the 2.2 not sound good with the performance one or something? Why choose touring?
*clicky*

Just below the images there is a 'Click Here to hear the GMPP Cobalt Exhaust systems.' The touring has a deeper more melow tone while performance is a bit louder. They both put out the same it just the tone of sound thats different.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 AM

i have an LS sedan 2.2 and i have an auto as well, i wasnt looking to race anyone... just looking for the fun to drive factor, i have an Injen CAI, and a Full exhaust (headers, downpipe free flow cat & DC sports Catback exhaust), i also lowered it 2" all the way around to keep the body roll down and it performs great for an auto 2.2 just the right amount of power for me... i wanna eventually get the alpine turbo kit for it.. but thats a long time off because of its price tag... i paid cash for my Cobalt when i got it so no payments to make i am just in the market for another vehicle for my wife so when i get that then i can start back on my Cobalt again... i dont have any idea what the HP is on mine but i did notice a differencein performance with things like the on ramp to highways and merging , the only downfall in the speed gov.... whats the point in accelerating quickly if you can only go 109mph.. thats what mine stops at anyway.... but if your getting the SS/SC in a year i wouldnt do anything to your car... just save your money like everyone else said... you will need it when you mod the SS... good luck to you... and welcome to the cobalt family
Old 03-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this thread was geared mostly towards performance mods, but I don't think anyone said this. TINT your windows regardless of what the hell you plan on doing to the car or how long you're gonna keep it. First "mod" I did to my cobalt and I was grinning.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 PM

all i did to my cobalt is a drop in k&n air filter,magnaflow muffler with the resonator cut off.
its a 2.2 w/ auto. oh yea tinted the windows too. the car sounds good and is quick in traffic if i use the I setting on my shifter selector.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 AM

Installed the gmpp exaughst manifold and that touring cat back today. It doesn't sound loud at all, you could drive around the neighborhood at 3 am and not wake anyone up, very quiet and thats what I was going for. Definatly noticed a gain on the top end rpms.

If you want it to be noticable then go with the performance and not the touring, or if you want to go with something else.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:21 AM

I is for the "Intense" gears right? Is it basically just an Overdrive for the auto? Should I be driving in I instead of D?

As for the exhaust, I think I'm going to go performance instead of touring. I'd like to be able to wake the neighborhood if I chose to. Rev real high or something. I want people to hear me coming and go "What is that? Ooooooh Nice" Think the performance exhaust will do that?

My planned mods right now are to start with TINTING, thanks to Johnnymerk for reminding me I needed to do that. Then I'm going to throw down the cash to my local chevy dealer to put in the performance exhaust for me. Do I need anything special to go with it? Any special intake or filter or anything?

Is it true that there is a governor on the Cobalt set at 109 mph?
-Aleckor
Old 03-13-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Aleckor
I is for the "Intense" gears right? Is it basically just an Overdrive for the auto? Should I be driving in I instead of D?

As for the exhaust, I think I'm going to go performance instead of touring. I'd like to be able to wake the neighborhood if I chose to. Rev real high or something. I want people to hear me coming and go "What is that? Ooooooh Nice" Think the performance exhaust will do that?

My planned mods right now are to start with TINTING, thanks to Johnnymerk for reminding me I needed to do that. Then I'm going to throw down the cash to my local chevy dealer to put in the performance exhaust for me. Do I need anything special to go with it? Any special intake or filter or anything?

Is it true that there is a governor on the Cobalt set at 109 mph?
-Aleckor
"I" is not an "overdrive." It is a different shift program. Basically, it holds a gear and won't upshift until 4000 RPM regardless of throttle position. It then automatically downshifts at 2000 RPM as the revs drop. On a twisty road, the effect is much like having a manual (it allows you to use engine braking - usually an auto will simply upshift when you back off the throttle - in I it holds the gear for engine braking). Additionally, under full throttle the shifts are noticeably firmer. This program probably increases hydraulic pressure to the clutches.

"I" is a noticeable difference.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
"I" is not an "overdrive." It is a different shift program. Basically, it holds a gear and won't upshift until 4000 RPM regardless of throttle position. It then automatically downshifts at 2000 RPM as the revs drop. On a twisty road, the effect is much like having a manual (it allows you to use engine braking - usually an auto will simply upshift when you back off the throttle - in I it holds the gear for engine braking). Additionally, under full throttle the shifts are noticeably firmer. This program probably increases hydraulic pressure to the clutches.

"I" is a noticeable difference.
so will the tranny still go through all the gears in "I" or just the first one or 2 ?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by SSNASHVILLANSS
so will the tranny still go through all the gears in "I" or just the first one or 2 ?
It will go through the first 3 (which will take you through the 1/4 mile) but will not go into 4th.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:47 AM

You can control the shift of an auto. It may not be the best idea to downshift it by hand or ride 2nd gear out to 5500rpm, in normal daily driving...but I do it anyways. You know you're doing it right when people actually sit and argue with you that you aren't drivng an auto. lol. (Tell them to look for a clutch pedal) Yes, these people aren't the brightest, but hey...if you win "you just got beat by an AUTOMATIC" and if you lose "hey..it's just an auto, what do you expect?"

Plus..it's hard to get happy mouth road fun from your girl with a manual

Think of this.
Why dump the extra $7,000+ into an SS, when you could turbo charge your LS (or get a manual LS) out run SS/SCs. Just because the car came with a better motor and has "stage" kits, doesn't mean you can't make your base model ATX faster.
My friend has an 00 neon, 4 dr, automatic. Had a built SOHC in it. His brother has a Stage 3 SRT4. His 4 door auto lost the SOHC, so he made a hybrid SRT4 setup..with a turbo 2x the size of the stock turbo...kept the auto...it's putting out 530whp with a mild performance tune and only 18lbs boost. Bought a used Emanagement and a few other goodies, boost controller etc, On 5lbs boost w the stock ECU he could walk away from the stage 3 srt4. Now the car has been properly tuned, boosted, dyno'd multiple times and we could pull 600hp out of it..but we are gonna call it a day. 530hp, working A/C, auto...we can't wait to take it to the track. haha

So save the $7k you'd put into the SS/SC, get your 2.2 boosted, get a body kit, a tune, whatever...you can do alot with $7k, considering most of the high end turbo kits for the balt are only $2500-$3000. That leaves you 4k to play with.

Last edited by UglyOrangeLS; 03-13-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-13-2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by UglyOrangeLS
You can control the shift of an auto. It may not be the best idea to downshift it by hand or ride 2nd gear out to 5500rpm, in normal daily driving...but I do it anyways. You know you're doing it right when people actually sit and argue with you that you aren't drivng an auto. lol. (Tell them to look for a clutch pedal) Yes, these people aren't the brightest, but hey...if you win "you just got beat by an AUTOMATIC" and if you lose "hey..it's just an auto, what do you expect?"

Plus..it's hard to get happy mouth road fun from your girl with a manual

Think of this.
Why dump the extra $7,000+ into an SS, when you could turbo charge your LS (or get a manual LS) out run SS/SCs. Just because the car came with a better motor and has "stage" kits, doesn't mean you can't make your base model ATX faster.
My friend has an 00 neon, 4 dr, automatic. Had a built SOHC in it. His brother has a Stage 3 SRT4. His 4 door auto lost the SOHC, so he made a hybrid SRT4 setup..with a turbo 2x the size of the stock turbo...kept the auto...it's putting out 530whp with a mild performance tune and only 18lbs boost. Bought a used Emanagement and a few other goodies, boost controller etc, On 5lbs boost w the stock ECU he could walk away from the stage 3 srt4. Now the car has been properly tuned, boosted, dyno'd multiple times and we could pull 600hp out of it..but we are gonna call it a day. 530hp, working A/C, auto...we can't wait to take it to the track. haha

So save the $7k you'd put into the SS/SC, get your 2.2 boosted, get a body kit, a tune, whatever...you can do alot with $7k, considering most of the high end turbo kits for the balt are only $2500-$3000. That leaves you 4k to play with.
people have said this for 2 years now and its still yet to happen.... you forgetting once you boost it, to get any nice numbers you need to replace the pistons/connecting rods too.

but if all you can get is the LS its a great starting point, it has endless possibliites as soon as the ecu is broken...
Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 AM

let us not forget jason whitfield's 10-second cobalt LS 2.2L cobalt turbo. it's a 5-spd, but it does have the same motor. i know how heavily funded it is and everything, but i'm just saying that the 2.2L ecotec is definitly moddable:

P.M. me if you want the whole 8 or 9 page article
Old 03-13-2007, 11:06 AM

lol yea gm still uses it as their drag car running rediculous times...
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 AM

He'd do well getting either a transmission/computer tune (expensive) or an Interceptor of some sort on their (cheap)
It will force your transmission to get to a higher pressure before shifting, so it will definitely feel more aggressive. I think Hackabuse is testing a B&M shiftplus right now. He's also a good person to ask about modding the 2.2l auto.

I don't think a transmission intercooler is a necessary add on until you REALLY start boosting numbers. Like up past 250 hp. The stock transmission can handle a fair bit of extra strain, it's just stock tuned more for economy than performance.
Can somebody verify this?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by monkeiboy
He'd do well getting either a transmission/computer tune (expensive) or an Interceptor of some sort on their (cheap)
It will force your transmission to get to a higher pressure before shifting, so it will definitely feel more aggressive. I think Hackabuse is testing a B&M shiftplus right now. He's also a good person to ask about modding the 2.2l auto.

I don't think a transmission intercooler is a necessary add on until you REALLY start boosting numbers. Like up past 250 hp. The stock transmission can handle a fair bit of extra strain, it's just stock tuned more for economy than performance.
Can somebody verify this?
My son-in-law is a Lee Myles Transmission ASA-certified tech, and he and his boss say the same thing - no need for a cooler, just increase the line pressures. A cooler is relatively cheap insurance if you're worried.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:21 PM

Build a 2.2

Old 03-13-2007, 03:27 PM

phlatcav, that is the sexiest cavi i've ever seen, those z24s look MUCH better than any balts IMHO, but that's just me.

Why wait for someone to crack the code, go standalone.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:09 PM

just throw some cash in your 2.2 auto. i did and even though i want it 5 speed im happy with the outcome of it. i dropped it with tenzo r springs, put the SS front bumper and side skirts on, CAI, 10000k hid's, 18" rims and little stuff here and there. its all worth it bro. just do it.....
Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 AM

sorry, but i make fun of autos w/ mods, especially body kits, paint job, and exhaust.

only mods id get on auto would be a CAI and a K&N filter, maybe rims, tires, and suspension components. Only put exhaust on manuals, cuz it sounds retarded when it shifts, and ppl will make fun of you.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by skitzianist
sorry, but i make fun of autos w/ mods, especially body kits, paint job, and exhaust.

only mods id get on auto would be a CAI and a K&N filter, maybe rims, tires, and suspension components. Only put exhaust on manuals, cuz it sounds retarded when it shifts, and ppl will make fun of you.
Tell that to the people who are dominating bracket drag racing with autos...
Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 AM

i had a supercharged and turbo auto cavi! i loved them both!

lots of people should make fun of you then for that stupid statement!

Last edited by SSCobalt~SSZ24; 03-28-2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 AM

just an fyi, alot of people think i drive a stick cuz of how good my exhaust sounds. get your facts straight
Old 03-28-2007, 12:05 PM

Reason #1 automagics rock: Paddle Shifters!

http://www.twistmachine.com/products/shrifter.html

That's the first kit I came across, I'm pretty sure there are others out there.

Bob
Old 03-28-2007, 12:32 PM

I would rag on you, but so many other people have already beaten me to it.

People made fun of you for being silly, at least he can mod his car. You can't mod being ignorant.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by BobWreck
Reason #1 automagics rock: Paddle Shifters!

http://www.twistmachine.com/products/shrifter.html

That's the first kit I came across, I'm pretty sure there are others out there.

Bob
thats pretty cool, i just skimmed over it, does it plug into the computer, or do you have to mod the tranny?

sorry i just dont think autos sound good w/ exhaust

Last edited by skitzianist; 03-28-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to mod an auto?