2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Is it worth it to mod an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/turbo-2-4-automatic-fully-installed-pics-52517/

check out this silly modded automatic
Old 03-29-2007, 10:17 PM

I think I've decided to wait until I can get an SS/SC. I'm still going to change the exhaust system and tint the windows though. So it'll look and sound a little better.
-Aleckor
Old 03-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first off what kind of racing?
makes a difference in your build.

what are your goals? you should price out each car to your overall goal. then decide from there if you should mod this current one or not. You can make a good 1/4 drag car from a base cobalt but it is not as easy and is more expensive than up grading bolt on parts on the SS/SC.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by phlatcav
I gots 250Whp on my ecotec 2.2 4 speed with no tranny issues at all.
more then alot of our sssc owners can say

i still cant bealive how weak of a drivetrain they put in their "high performance" version

Originally Posted by ssnipes
first off what kind of racing?
makes a difference in your build.

what are your goals? you should price out each car to your overall goal. then decide from there if you should mod this current one or not. You can make a good 1/4 drag car from a base cobalt but it is not as easy and is more expensive than up grading bolt on parts on the SS/SC.
which is true, this site treats the 2.2's kinda like the old peanut cam 305's in the 80's, they were very weak in the power department for a v8 and everybody made fun of them , but those who were a little smarter found the weakness in those motors (the increadably weak cam grind) and could build a nice high performance v8 for half the cost of building a 350 up

so lets say you spent 12k on your base modle, when you trade it in, expect about 8.5-9000 im guessing back, theres 3 thousand lost right there

then buying an ss/sc which is usually averaging 24 thousand..

for all this extra cash your spending you could have one helluva 2.2 balt

Last edited by halfj99; 03-29-2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by halfj99
so lets say you spent 12k on your base modle, when you trade it in, expect about 8.5-9000 im guessing back, theres 3 thousand lost right there

then buying an ss/sc which is usually averaging 24 thousand..

for all this extra cash your spending you could have one helluva 2.2 balt

Thats very true. I got a 2005 cobalt in may for about 10 with tax, title and license. Of course my dad pulled it out for me and i have been paying the payments on it for already 2 years. i have put more than 2500 in it. now just go internal's first then throw either a turbo or supercharger on it for at least 5 grand. that puts me at a total of 7500 for a complete total of 17,500. that already beats the SS/SC stock for at least 3 to 4 grand cheaper. but thats just my opinion. dont get me wrong i love the SS/SC cause i drive them all the time at work, i just couldnt afford it so im just gonna stick with my 2.2 good memories also!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 AM

manuals are alot of fun to drive, but i heard that turbo automatics can make more boost.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by yotaboy08
manuals are alot of fun to drive, but i heard that turbo automatics can make more boost.
Actually, autos make better USE of the boost. With a manual, every time you shift, you have to close the throttle, then get back on the throttle. This means boost has to re-build with each shift. With an auto, since it shifts with the throttle on the floor, the boost remains full-on throughout the run. This is why the turbo auto Sky is quicker in the quarter than the manual turbo Sky (according to Car & Driver testing).
Old 04-08-2007, 02:38 PM

^ ^ ^ Damn!! Beat me to it!
Old 04-08-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
Actually, autos make better USE of the boost. With a manual, every time you shift, you have to close the throttle, then get back on the throttle. This means boost has to re-build with each shift. With an auto, since it shifts with the throttle on the floor, the boost remains full-on throughout the run. This is why the turbo auto Sky is quicker in the quarter than the manual turbo Sky (according to Car & Driver testing).
Yea can you imagine how good those things will launch!!!

Turbo + RWD + automatic > Blower + FWD + Manual

No wheel hop, no wheel spin because the turbo has to spool, and no clutch that you have to feather!! Just push the gas when the light turns green and you get quarter mile in the 13's everytime!!

I freaking want a sky rl now
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 PM

To be honest I don't have the time or the money to really put my all into modding my car, or getting into the racing scene. I'm just tired of being embarassed by every other car on the road. My Laser Blue Beauty is mean but in the end she's still just a 145 hp 2.2L with kickass performance for being a low class automatic. (Not to mention beautiful)

When I get some time and money, I think I'll just upgrade to the SS/SC.
-Aleckor

She's mean, but she can't take a 1.8L Audi TT from a stop. She purrs, then roars, then roars, then purrs, and that's about when the Audi pulls away =( The top end of the 2.2L LS is not very impressive. 0-50 is fun, 60-80 is mediocre, and 80-95 is fun. 95+ Is just pathetic.....

Last edited by Aleckor; 04-10-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:08 PM

Yeah 105 comes to fast, and theres no way to get rid of the limiter after you get new tires n rims...
Old 04-08-2007, 11:55 PM

I don't have much of an issue with mine being auto, but I do wish I would've gotten a manual. But back then, I had my reasons. If I get an exhaust, I'm gonna get one that barely changes the sound, because 4 cylinder autos with exhausts are goofy. Sorry. So my mods are mainly cosmetic, with a tad of performance. IE: currently I rock a Kenwood CD player, trunk blue neon in place of trunk light, blue underdash neons, synthetic oil, Sylvania corners and h/l's, black calipers, DC Sports strut bar, and wheel locks. Next is tint, Injen CAI , tranny/ecu tune, and blue underbody neon kit. After that, I'm not quite sure. By that point, I'll be happy with it's apperance, and I'm already pleased with it's performence. I mean, it can either beat or hold it's own about most cars around here. So I'm not too worried.

And I know what you guys mean abou the old 305's. I've only got the puny 231 3.8 V6 in my old Grand Prix, and even that motor makes the 305 look like a powerhouse. I've certainly seen some mean 305's, but most people (and I'll be doing the same), just cut to getting the 350. Sorry. lol.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
If I get an exhaust, I'm gonna get one that barely changes the sound, because 4 cylinder autos with exhausts are goofy.
Been there. We built a 2 1/2 inch cat back with Flowmaster muffler and tip. It was REAL loud to me, and really emphasized the auto. Next we added the stock resonator back in (TIP: if you want to build your own, keep the stock resonator and S-pipe - it's 2 1/2, and has mandrel bends - just cut it before it drops down to go over the axle). Anyway, the result was buzzy and worse in the cockpit (although it turned out we had a hanger hanging metal-to-metal and didn't realize it).

Next I bought a GMPP Touring cat back. Just installed it (in a snow/sleet storm in the driveway) on Sunday. It's getting broken in now. I believe it's the perfect compromise. Nice sound, no droning and it doesn't sound odd with the auto. Plus, from inside it can't be heard cruising down the highway, which makes it very livable. It's great quality, and installs easily. Plus it REALLY FITS!!! Can't emphasize that enough. If you follow the directions and slip it all together and get it properly hung from all the hangers, then tighten it down from front to back, it is PERFECT in fit. No touching, no rattles, no buzzing, but nice, deep sound.

Oh, and driving in "I" almost makes it sound like a manual. Plus it drives more like one. Try it. Plus I have a B&M Shift+ and am anxious to get it installed to see if a more crisp shift will also make it sound better (not to mention function better).

Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 AM

i wouldnt trust the b&m shift kit, get someone with hp tuners or ls2 edit to tune your tranny correctly.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
Been there. We built a 2 1/2 inch cat back with Flowmaster muffler and tip. It was REAL loud to me, and really emphasized the auto. Next we added the stock resonator back in (TIP: if you want to build your own, keep the stock resonator and S-pipe - it's 2 1/2, and has mandrel bends - just cut it before it drops down to go over the axle). Anyway, the result was buzzy and worse in the cockpit (although it turned out we had a hanger hanging metal-to-metal and didn't realize it).
Heres a pic of my stock 2.4l resonator. The inside diameter is 2", not 2.5".

The stock 2.4l b-pipe also narrows to 2" as it enters and exits the cat.
The most restrictive part (not counting the 1 3/4" stock exhaust manifold restriction) is a pinch at the weld in the stock piping as it goes over the axle, measuring less than 1 7/8" id.

I love the deep, throaty, sound of the Corsa Touring exhaust mated to the stock exhaust manifold and b-pipe. It's only slightly louder than stock - not bothersome in the least, yet is a 2.5" straight through design. Yes it's pricey, but I think it's worth it

Adding a header raised the sound volume only slightly - still comfortable on a long trip, only a little more noticible at speed. Not annoying at all.

Replacing the final exhaust restriction - the stock b-pipe with an XTC high-flow cat model (2.5") increased the sound volume a lot. It is a little higher pitch now - not as deep and manly as it was before. Removing the last exhaust restriction probably added another 10whp (while adding 10db ). The throttle is more responsive now - it revs much quicker, but the volume is too loud for my tastes -oh well, I guess it's just the price of HP.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 AM

who has the most modded 2.2L auto?
then can get some ideas of what i can do...
Old 08-23-2007, 01:31 AM

well i've modded my 2.2 auto , i don't have alot done yet , but soon !! , good luck !!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:29 PM

05 2.2l auto

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i have a few small things, and it pepped the car up nicely... is a track superstar? hell no, but it is definitely more fun to drive than it was stock... just keep in mind that you didn't get a racecar, and if you're doing simple bolt ons, don't expect it to become one... if you understand that fact, you won't be disapointed... i feel my mods were well worth it, and there's a noticeable difference over stock
im totally agreing with you ... you didnt buy a race ar .. u have to understand .. your car its not a drag cars its a everyday use fuel efficient "economy car " if u can relize that your car is not going to be a race car but doing mods does make a difference you can tell a difference in performence .. sound .. gas milage .. many more htings .. its not a waste but u gotta udnerstand dont expect soo much from your car cause it wasnt built for what u might want it to be for
Old 08-23-2007, 10:33 PM

xcobalt05x has the most performance modded 2.2 cobalt

me (moza13-), xcobalt50x, t something_performance, and a few other members on here can tell you about body kits.

and almost anyone can tell you about suspension
Old 08-23-2007, 10:35 PM

check my mods out in my 2.4 ss auto in my sig
Old 08-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Banned

I say turbo the 2.4 with a Hahn Garnett kit and build up the tranny. good for 12's with slicks. you decide if that is worth it.