2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

wuts best for the 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wuts best for the 2.2

wut are the best performance parts to get for my 2.2 coblat? I already have an intake and exhaust. wut do you guys think are the next best upgrades....o ya and i have a drop kit but it isn't installed yet
Old 03-14-2007, 04:31 AM

Well go with the ca header. Right now I have projectors that have to be installed. Not really much of a performance mod. I have the gmpp performance exaust. Next is either the intake or springs.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're asking the wrong question.

First, you need a goal. What kind of power are you trying to make? How much money are you trying to spend? Does your warranty matter?

Things like that.

Biggest part is your power goal...

Then ask us

"What are my options if I want to reach x HP for a budget of $xxxx"

This will lead to a more accurate answer than people throwing out random parts.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Balt36
wut are the best performance parts to get for my 2.2 coblat? I already have an intake and exhaust. wut do you guys think are the next best upgrades....o ya and i have a drop kit but it isn't installed yet
I already hav GMPP intake and perf exhaust, nxt i'm getting GMPP extrude honed mani, wheels/tires, larger injectors, throttle body, a tune, then suspension. Maybe high flow cat in their sumwhere.

I always like to do power befor appearance. It already handle pretty decent as is.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Archie
I already hav GMPP intake and perf exhaust, nxt i'm getting GMPP extrude honed mani, wheels/tires, larger injectors, throttle body, a tune, then suspension. Maybe high flow cat in their sumwhere.

I always like to do power befor appearance. It already handle pretty decent as is.
Not trying to be rude at all but I don't think anyone (including myself) should suggest any list of parts until he can tell us what he's trying to accomplish with his car.

Another thing, a larger throttle body won't help you unless you're capable of drawing in more air into your combustion chamber because of the lack of intake velocity you'll be creating without a camshaft change. Your stock throttle body size is actually good for someone who is mildly modified.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:45 AM

I was just suggesting to get the header to finish off the exaust. Work your way through it. Intake, exaust, suspension, etc.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Not trying to be rude at all but I don't think anyone (including myself) should suggest any list of parts until he can tell us what he's trying to accomplish with his car.

Another thing, a larger throttle body won't help you unless you're capable of drawing in more air into your combustion chamber because of the lack of intake velocity you'll be creating without a camshaft change. Your stock throttle body size is actually good for someone who is mildly modified.
^^True. Im planning to stick with GM warranty for the first couple years. I also can get my GMPP for about half what it costs everyone else, so that's why I'm going with GMPP. Cheap (for me) and warranty.

Oh I knew I forgot something in there, camshaft.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by FinalBreath
I was just suggesting to get the header to finish off the exaust. Work your way through it. Intake, exaust, suspension, etc.
I'm not flaming you at all cause I can understand what you mean but there alot of times where someones ultimate goal and the parts they'd buy are in the complete wrong direction. If he was to want 250 HP and decides to turbocharger, the intake he has won't do him any good and a new exhaust manifold/header won't do him any good.

This is purely example but there are alot of people (including myself in the past) who spend a bunch of money on parts that will ultimately get them anywhere close to the power they want. If I could go back in time, I would have saved so much money if I had a initial plan...that's why I say what I say. I've been there.

^^True. Im planning to stick with GM warranty for the first couple years. I also can get my GMPP for about half what it costs everyone else, so that's why I'm going with GMPP. Cheap (for me) and warranty.

Oh I knew I forgot something in there, camshaft.
Not to thread jack but what year is your car?

Last edited by NJHK; 03-14-2007 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-14-2007, 04:57 AM

Not to thread jack but what year is your car?
07, why?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:59 AM

07, why?
Argh...

You have a Cam sensor on your exhaust camshaft. You wouldn't be able to use any of the camshafts available for the previous 2.2 L61s.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:05 AM

Argh...

You have a Cam sensor on your exhaust camshaft. You wouldn't be able to use any of the camshafts available for the previous 2.2 L61s.
Are you serious?!? That kinda kills it a lil bit. Could I still go differnt cam gears?
Maybe I'll end up doin a turbo to get where I want then. But then there's tuning. Dag gum it all, these blasted new coputers!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 AM

Are you serious?!? That kinda kills it a lil bit. Could I still go differnt cam gears?
Maybe I'll end up doin a turbo to get where I want then. But then there's tuning. Dag gum it all, these blasted new coputers!
You can use Piggybacks bro.

So we don't get way off topic...IM me on AOL/AIM. Read sig...
Old 04-16-2007, 01:36 AM

Ok sounds like you guys can help me... im a noob with a 2.2. I want anywhere between 200 and 250 hp...dont really need anymore. Where i need ur help is....i want my mods to be in the right direction....and strickly performance....price doesnt matter...neither does my warranty. THnks
Old 04-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jasper33
Ok sounds like you guys can help me... im a noob with a 2.2. I want anywhere between 200 and 250 hp...dont really need anymore. Where i need ur help is....i want my mods to be in the right direction....and strickly performance....price doesnt matter...neither does my warranty. THnks
You should go turbo, if tuning is available for your car. Its not for mine yet.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:28 PM

Yeah i was thinking that but ide rather take a different road....oh and i also what to salvage any reliability that is possible
Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 PM

jasper i want the same amount of power you want...we wil just have to wait for the tuning. so that a least gives is time to save up money. lol
Old 04-17-2007, 11:52 PM

Yeah...in the mean time i think im going to let her breath...gmpp exhaust and maybe headers...ide like to get my hands on some nice long tube headers....stayin away from pacesetter (kinda sketchy) also i may ad a 75 Zek Wet shot... but who knows
Old 04-22-2007, 04:59 PM

hmm im reading through all of this stuff and not a single person has said anything about learning to drive your car or getting great tires.

tires are the only thing that hits the ground in your car... the best tires will make everything you do better.

also im not sayying that you cant drive all im saying is that if your car stock is capable to run a 2.3 60' and your on the street running a 2.8 60' then your just as bad as the next guy in the mustang that spins tires all day.
but if you can launch your car as good as the pros and the guy next to you cant then you have a huge huge advantage over him possibly enough to make up for a 200hp defecit. think about it say your car is a 16.5 sec car with a 2.3 60' you run a 2.8 60' that puts you at about a 17.5 or slower
the guy in the mustang runs a perfect 15.3. with his bad launch he is in the 16.5 range... see where im going with this... this is the only reason awd's are popular because everyone can get a perfect launch every time...just think about it for a bit

and as far as cheap performance parts why not get an electronic cutout, quick easy performance that can be turned on or off when you see fit
Old 04-22-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
piggyback on a tbw? i wouldnt think a piggyback could get a tps signal from the tbw. i havent looked into much tuning on these, other then hp tuners. i have done tuning on other cars with the megasquirt, emanage blue, and 034 eic. if you go turbo, you can do the eic which is usually the easiest way to run some lower boost but yet can make good power.

i was going to use the lsj m62 set up, but the lack of support from hp tuners has lead me to just run an intake and exhaust but possibly run some nitrous. of course i have a car im building in my garage i should be spenging my money on, but im never satisfied just driving any car i have.

but yeah, give us an idea of what you want to make (within reason) and we can help.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:12 PM

I would pick up a small turbo, exhaust manifold and run about 6psi non-intercooled and run the SMT-6 piggyback with a 5th injector. It would be the simplest way to go, to give you the most power for your money. I was running 8-9psi on an intercooled setup making 220+whp here in boise. It cost my less quite a bit less then 3k for everything. that was just parts, i received free install and tune for being the R&D car. if you go custom, i bet you can do it for 2k non-intercooled.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by freakta
hmm im reading through all of this stuff and not a single person has said anything about learning to drive your car or getting great tires.

tires are the only thing that hits the ground in your car... the best tires will make everything you do better.

also im not sayying that you cant drive all im saying is that if your car stock is capable to run a 2.3 60' and your on the street running a 2.8 60' then your just as bad as the next guy in the mustang that spins tires all day.
but if you can launch your car as good as the pros and the guy next to you cant then you have a huge huge advantage over him possibly enough to make up for a 200hp defecit. think about it say your car is a 16.5 sec car with a 2.3 60' you run a 2.8 60' that puts you at about a 17.5 or slower
the guy in the mustang runs a perfect 15.3. with his bad launch he is in the 16.5 range... see where im going with this... this is the only reason awd's are popular because everyone can get a perfect launch every time...just think about it for a bit

and as far as cheap performance parts why not get an electronic cutout, quick easy performance that can be turned on or off when you see fit
Good point.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:26 AM

you do have to be more specific on your topic. the wheels/tires is probably your best bet to start out as far as performance to go along with the modifications you already have. **** poor planning = **** poor performance. if you dont plan where you wanna go how will you get there?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:53 PM

I didnt post about wheels or tires because i already have them.....Well i decided what i wannt that is. And as it goes for driving better. First off, i dont want to drag race. I respect that it is hard but just ddoesnt interest me. And second, please dont asume that we are bad drivers. I am very confident in my driving and, to be honest, havent been in a car with someone that can drive better.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:35 PM

Ive been wanting to learn how to get a perfect launch but i have my lisence suspended so i really cant go practice is there anything i can read in the meantime? Whats an electronic cut out
Old 04-24-2007, 06:35 PM

The quickest way to get to your 250 HP goal would be to turbo your car. Nitrous, if used improperly, can really mess up your car so if you want reliability I would stay away from it. With low boost, you really shouldn't have any problems in the long run.

Quick Reply: wuts best for the 2.2