2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

ZZP Turbo Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZZP Turbo Kit Question

What does everyone think of the ZZP Stage 1 turbo kit? Would it be ok to run it on a stock motor or would it be unsafe? And does anyone have the kit?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 PM

im getting it done before the end of the summer
Old 02-19-2009, 10:05 PM

I would never run a turbo setup on any car, no matter what the circumstances, without some kind of intercooler. Just doesn't make since to run the heat risks...
Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Out1aw
I would never run a turbo setup on any car, no matter what the circumstances, without some kind of intercooler. Just doesn't make since to run the heat risks...
that statement seems a little uneducated. go read up on the first turbo'd cars.

i'm interested in this kit myself, easy way to start out with a reliable setup and build for boost.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey

i'm interested in this kit myself, easy way to start out with a reliable setup and build for boost.
See thats what i was thinking. It gives you the basic setup with out the need to change out internals right away and there is plenty of room to grow power wise plus it is a very good price.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best deal imo this blows that sts setup away when it comes down to price and installability.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like a good deal, if you can get just the manifold, turbo, and downpipe(and wastegate forgot if they run internal or external) you can run ur own air to air, or ur better off buying their water/air one
Old 02-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey

I actually am a little more educated in the subject then most on this board (not bragging, but you brought it up). Just saying obviously he/she will be installing this on their daily driver, and for that reason (traffic, stop lights, long trips, etc.) the motor runs a much higher risk of something overheating due to the combination of engine and turbo heat with no cooling for the turbo itself.

Never did I say it couldn't be done, just saying that in today's age technology has come too far to not take advantage of it and at least installing some kind of cheap intercooling system.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I actually am a little more educated in the subject then most on this board (not bragging, but you brought it up). Just saying obviously he/she will be installing this on their daily driver, and for that reason (traffic, stop lights, long trips, etc.) the motor runs a much higher risk of something overheating due to the combination of engine and turbo heat with no cooling for the turbo itself.

Never did I say it couldn't be done, just saying that in today's age technology has come too far to not take advantage of it and at least installing some kind of cheap intercooling system.
you seem to contradict yourself. your first paragraph refers to cooling the turbo itself, and your second paragraph and first post refer to cooling the intake charge. which are you concerned with? and regardless, non intercooled setups are fine for low boost applications, and always have been... you should do some more reading...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 PM

i think while driving normal and stay out of boost it wouuld keep iat's down,it cant be as bad as a sri
Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
you seem to contradict yourself. your first paragraph refers to cooling the turbo itself, and your second paragraph and first post refer to cooling the intake charge. which are you concerned with? and regardless, non intercooled setups are fine for low boost applications, and always have been... you should do some more reading...
Is a book gonna run the car down the track for me too? What someone says in a book or magazine means nothing. Fact of the matter is run an intercooled car through the same stress and speed tests as an identical non-intercooled car and you will see a HUGE difference in wear and performance between the two. For the price difference of having one and not it doesnt make sense to run a car without one.

Again, my argument is not that it is impossible to not run an intercooler, or that your car will blow up if you try. Just saying for the price, the performance gains and protection on your powertrain will be worth the extra dough.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Is a book gonna run the car down the track for me too? What someone says in a book or magazine means nothing. Fact of the matter is run an intercooled car through the same stress and speed tests as an identical non-intercooled car and you will see a HUGE difference in wear and performance between the two. For the price difference of having one and not it doesnt make sense to run a car without one.

Again, my argument is not that it is impossible to not run an intercooler, or that your car will blow up if you try. Just saying for the price, the performance gains and protection on your powertrain will be worth the extra dough.
Wait what are you saying? Are you talking about something to cool the turbo? The intercoolant is for the intake mani not the turbo, theres really nothing for turbo to keep cool, it will glow RED. theres only oil and water lines
Old 02-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

will a book drive your car? no... but a book that explains the mechanics of an engine and principles of airflow better than what you currently understand should be something you read. Im not saying believe everything you read, but when 98% of sources agree on a point...its usually safe to assume its correct.
u will see a performance gain from low boost intercooled setups versus low boost non-intercooled setups...no one said you wouldnt. However, wear of the parts really wont vay much between the two. Its when you get to medium/high boost levels that it can wear your engine out sooner. My point is that no, it is not stupid to have a non-intercooled setup on your car if it is a low boost application, which you seemed to disagree with. It wont make quite the sam power numbers, but it wont cost quite as much either, which is the issue at hand
Regardless, yo