2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Ecu/ TCM questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecu/ TCM questions

So guys after a long distraught decision wether to get hp tuners or have someone tune me here locally ive finally made my decision to go with the vector motorsports tune for reliability and practicality reasons .....

however i have some questions first off
- Is the Tcm seperate from the ecu or are the ecu and tcm one big module??
-I want only to get the ecu tune i have NO interest in having my tcm tuned being as i have an auto tranny is this possible or with the tcm have to be modified ???

just incase ur wondering why i dotn want it tuned is because i have the autotransinterceptor and i like the freedom that i can go back to the stock smooth shifts at any time ..............
Old 05-31-2007, 10:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloudio
So guys after a long distraught decision wether to get hp tuners or have someone tune me here locally ive finally made my decision to go with the vector motorsports tune for reliability and practicality reasons .....

however i have some questions first off
- Is the Tcm seperate from the ecu or are the ecu and tcm one big module??
-I want only to get the ecu tune i have NO interest in having my tcm tuned being as i have an auto tranny is this possible or with the tcm have to be modified ???

just incase ur wondering why i dotn want it tuned is because i have the autotransinterceptor and i like the freedom that i can go back to the stock smooth shifts at any time ..............
TCM is seperate from the VCM, you can only retune the tranny in person. You will be fine. Though, you will have a locked VCM from Vector :-) enjoy.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
TCM is seperate from the VCM, you can only retune the tranny in person. You will be fine. Though, you will have a locked VCM from Vector :-) enjoy.
Thank you Psykostevo
Much Appreciated
Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ECM in this case, not VCM or ECU. They are separate modules, tuned independantly.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
ECM in this case, not VCM or ECU. They are separate modules, tuned independantly.
ok great thanx
Old 06-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
let me know how that works out. Im just about ready to give up on HP Tuners...........

I might just get the 'balt dyno tuned for a baseline, get rental car, as my Cobalt is my only means of transportation, and send Vector my ECM to get tuned, re-install it and enjoy it.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteSSBalt
let me know how that works out. Im just about ready to give up on HP Tuners...........

I might just get the 'balt dyno tuned for a baseline, get rental car, as my Cobalt is my only means of transportation, and send Vector my ECM to get tuned, re-install it and enjoy it.
hUh and have 3days of no car and waste $500 on a rental car bro .....just do what iam doing buy the performance ecu outright for only $200 more which makes a total of $550 with no down time and when it arrives just plug and play +++++if anything ever goes to **** you got the stock tune/ecu sitting nicely in storage
for me this plan is practical and more then bulletproof

Cheers
Old 06-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Not a Sebring

hUh and have 3days of no car and waste $500 on a rental car bro .....just do what iam doing buy the performance ecu outright for only $200 more which makes a total of $550 with no down time and when it arrives just plug and play +++++if anything ever goes to **** you got the stock tune/ecu sitting nicely in storage
for me this plan is practical and more then bulletproof

Cheers
yeah, but like Brandon97Z told me (he has the Vector tune I believe), when you buy the new ECU outright you gotta take it to the dealership and have the crank re-learned, which sounds like a pain. I'd rather just save $200 and pay the $17 a day from Enterprise for a shitty little Kia Rio or something. Even after a rental car, its still like $150 cheaper just to keep your ECU.

I'm going to get my car dyno'd next week at Pro Motion Tuning to get a nice baseline. Then im gonna order the Vector tune and send off my ECM + get a rental car the following week, and then have it dyoned again when the ECM is back and re-installed. Then maybe we can share some results! Good luck and hopefully all goes well for us.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah, but like Brandon97Z told me (he has the Vector tune I believe), when you buy the new ECU outright you gotta take it to the dealership and have the crank re-learned, which sounds like a pain. I'd rather just save $200 and pay the $17 a day from Enterprise for a shitty little Kia Rio or something. Even after a rental car, its still like $150 cheaper just to keep your ECU.

I'm going to get my car dyno'd next week at Pro Motion Tuning to get a nice baseline. Then im gonna order the Vector tune and send off my ECM + get a rental car the following week, and then have it dyoned again when the ECM is back and re-installed. Then maybe we can share some results! Good luck and hopefully all goes well for us.
Be sure and let us know how that turns out!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Not a Sebring

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
Be sure and let us know how that turns out!
lol, in this thread you want to know how everything goes.......

but in the other thread containing Vector information you down it........

strange.....maybe in this thread your just being sarchastic.

who knows.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:03 AM

its no hassle at all Case Relearn takes 30 bux and 5 minutes at your dealer ...they wont ask questions and if they do ...u simply say you bought a back up ecu just incase. anyway no biggie just wanted to let you know its not a hassle at all infact its rather common especially among newer cars.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Not a Sebring

its no hassle at all Case Relearn takes 30 bux and 5 minutes at your dealer ...they wont ask questions and if they do ...u simply say you bought a back up ecu just incase. anyway no biggie just wanted to let you know its not a hassle at all infact its rather common especially among newer cars.
what is a care relearn exactly? Will I even be able to drive the car to the dealership to get this procedure done? I still think getting a rental is cheaper than paying the extra $200, lol. Plus, I might get something badass like a beige Kia Rio! Ooooohhh yeaaaahh!
Old 06-03-2007, 03:37 PM

I'm pretty sure that $200 is a core charge and is refundable, unlike the $150 for a rental..
Old 06-03-2007, 06:20 PM

what is a care relearn exactly? Will I even be able to drive the car to the dealership to get this procedure done? I still think getting a rental is cheaper than paying the extra $200, lol. Plus, I might get something badass like a beige Kia Rio! Ooooohhh yeaaaahh!
a case relearn - allows your ecu to get insink with the rotation of the crankshaft via the crankshaft positioning sensor ......thats what the relearn is for and YES you can drive to the the dealership you will just have a horrible idle and DO NOT GO WOT because if you did the engine would potentially rev itself to death .....with out the relearn the ecu really has no idea how fast the crank is moving ...........however if you just abide the law and drive normally there get the relearn done everything is FINE and YOU save your safe the embarrassment OF in driving a shitty rental