2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Hahn RaceCraft 2.4 Cobalt TurboSystem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahn RaceCraft 2.4 Cobalt TurboSystem

Intro:
When last we spoke about this, as some of you may recall, there was an outcry for a turbosystem for the automatic transmission 2.4 Cobalt. Hahn RaceCraft had been working on a manual transmission prototype, but the resultant system would not physically fit the automatic car. This is due to the automatic transmission being shaped quite differently from the manual transmission.

We listened, and did our research...and we discovered that an overwhelming majority of 2.4 Cobalts and HHRs are automatic trans equipped.

This new system will indeed fit the automatic transmission version of the Cobalt, and some of you may recognize it...it starts as a Garrett GT system. Why did we go this route?

Several reasons. First, as noted above, our manual prototype would not fit the automatic trans, but the Garrett GT kit does. Second, I felt the GT2860R was an excellent match for the auto trans in terms of overall power capability and RPM response. Third, the airflow and HP potential of this system is well suited to the power range we expect to see automatic transmission cars exploit...let's face it, I don't forsee any 400-500 HP auto cars anytime soon, at least not until some unexpectedly robust parts are developed for the interior of the transmission.

Yes, I have held a veil of secrecy over this turbosystem development program for some time now...but read on...I think you'll see why!

Development
Like all Hahn RaceCraft Turbosystems (thousands sold to date ), this is a 100% complete solution. We've done all the homework, so those horror stories you've heard about folks trying this setup on their own are history. The Garrett GT system is a very nice piece, and we've smoothed out some rough edges while adding some serious 'user-friendly' content.

We performed two trial installations here on automatic trans beta (test) cars to perfect the product. Both cars will have accumulated thousands of road miles and significant dyno flogging by the time we ship systems. You will see one in an upcoming issue of GM High Tech Performance magazine, where a complete installation on a 2007 SS Sedan was documented in a detailed how-to article. The second car, a 2006 Coupe, belongs to none other than my son Adam, whom you may recall is also the driver and wrench of our low 11-second 2003 Sunfire.

I've spent an enormous amount of time designing and calibrating the engine and transmission controls on this application, and I am very proud of the results. And with 30 years spent around turbochargers, I ain't easy to please!

Features:
We've added over 50 additional components to the Garrett GT kit, as well as massaged and modified a number of pieces within it to streamline and improve the installation on 2.4, while meeting stringent Hahn RaceCraft standards of installability and functionality.

Our innovative and exclusive 'Hassle-Free' turbo oil drain system means you won't have to pull the oil pan off, drill into the engine block, scrape silicone sealer...none of it. We've made the oil drain install a simple, 15 minute operation!

Of course, you get quality fuel injectors that plug directly into the stock harness, and a complete fuel system solution.

We reflash the stock PCM to give you my highly refined engine and transmission control calibrations. But we didn't stop there...this system also includes our innovative BoostFueler approach, as introduced recently on our Solstice/Sky Stage III and IV systems!

What is Boost Fueler? Here's what makes this approach innovative...we have 'stacked' methods of engine management, combining the best of not only reflash, but also fuel pressure manipulation, into one seamless, adjustable package. We've taken the pros of each method, and left the cons behind. This makes for a truly boost-proportional fueling approach on a car that was not originally designed for boost.

Those of you familar with the burgeoning Diesel Performance market are already familar with 'stacking', where more than one type of tuning device is 'stacked' together to achieve the ultimate performance.

By 'stacking' the reflash with the BoostFueler, we deliver a cohesive approach that not only provides boost-proportional fueling (not easy with the modern VVT PCM, a fact anyone who's trued to calibrate one can attest to), it give you folks in the field the one thing a pure reflash can never provide: END-USER ADJUSTABILITY!

Yep. Forget about laptops, programs, endless days spent on the dyno watching the tuner make puzzled faces...we've given you the easiest way possible to adapt your combo for different equipment, changing weather, whatever. You run a different exhaust than the other guy? No problem...tune it! Live at high altitudes, where the thinner air desires less fuel? Tune it! Taking off the exhaust for a day at the track? TUNE IT! With BoostFueler, it's that easy. It allows you to adjust A/F mixtures independently at idle/cruise, boost onset, and full boost.

All the while, our clever reflash is working behind the scenes to provide the rest of the picture with ignition timing, shift characteristics, and a host of other nuances that only reprogramming can provide. But BoostFueler still gives you the ability to 'play' and perfect your combination...yourself.

Results:
I never thought an automatic trans FWD car could be this fun! This puppy scoots. It will BLOW the tires away in first gear if you go full throttle from a stop, and if you mash the throttle at anything under 30 MPH, it'll downshift and blow them off again! All with ZERO wheelhop. The car is almost eerily well-composed. And part-throttle operation is almost as fun as full throttle, with the auto trans bumping up through the gears quickly. I carefully recalibrated the trans shift characteristics for good durability, and it loves it, while feeling super-precise and sharp shifting. Feels like driving a paddle-shifter car, just press the gas and bam-bam-bam!

On the dyno, we've seen 230-240 WHP @ 9-10 PSI boost. That's more than a new Solstice GXP! And we also provide buckets of torque. I won't just shoot you some pie-in-the-sky number here and insist that you believe...I will post real dyno charts.

Fuel mileage, as in our very successful Solstice/Sky turbosystems (remember...same engine!), will INCREASE. This is not conjecture, friends...it's been proven by many pleasantly surprised customers, and is a direct result of the efficiency I can achieve with my cagey skills in design and calibration.

Thank you very much
Bill Hahn Jr.

Last edited by Hahn RaceCraft; 06-11-2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: incorrect turbo designation in original text
Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 PM

All right 2.4's!

BTW, what kind of price range will this kit be in?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
This should make many 2.4 guys very happy.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Happy for the 2.4's!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 PM

so it's for both auto and 5 speed?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:53 PM

sweet.. how much is this gonna cost? i may just have to put my mods on hold and get this instead.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:01 PM

where can i buy this, when will this be on the market?

Wow I deff want one of these soon, so i can get it in by the next local cobalt meet! and maybe line up against some SC cobalts

Last edited by fbaero10; 06-08-2007 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-08-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice cant wiat but cant get it till i ncome tax next yr though but def want to get it
Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 PM

this cobalt is gonna kill srt 4's and ss/sc's i cant wait!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:25 PM

dude you and me both, it is my goal to get one before jimmy haha just playing man. once i get it though im gonna come by and pick your ass up
Old 06-08-2007, 10:26 PM

good...lol u will def have if b4ore me bro..im so excited i cant wait to boost...

no more say uh oh...theres an sti .evo stang gt and srt-4 when my ss/tc will keep up

Last edited by Jimmys2007CobaltSS/C; 06-08-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmys2007CobaltSS/C
good...lol u will def have if b4ore me bro..im so excited i cant wait to boost...

no more say uh oh...theres an sti .evo stang gt and srt-4 when my ss/tc will keep up
The day I order my turbo kit, im getting the Turbocharged badge. to go under my SS..
Old 06-08-2007, 10:32 PM

lol hell yeah, my buddy may be gettin an SRT 4 now im gonna walk his ass, once i get this kit.

Originally Posted by fbaero10
The day I order my turbo kit, im getting the Turbocharged badge. to go under my SS..
me too, ive been think about it for a long time, cant wait till i cant do it.

Last edited by 2.4SlowassBalt; 06-08-2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-08-2007, 10:33 PM

I'm also curious about the auto vs 5 speed, being the fact that I am not a woman and know how to use a clutch.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2.4SlowassBalt
lol hell yeah, my buddy may be gettin an SRT 4 now im gonna walk his ass, once i get this kit.

me too, ive been think about it for a long time, cant wait till i cant do it.
haha yea dude. and honestly tho it makes gas milleage better sweet! lol. that means in like 3 years it will pay for its self lol like saving 2 cents lol
Old 06-08-2007, 10:34 PM

Found out I'm gettin a fat ass bonus, Turbo is almost out, this may be the best day in a while .
Old 06-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BlackBaltSSNA
so it's for both auto and 5 speed?
Yes

Originally Posted by snowbred
sweet.. how much is this gonna cost? i may just have to put my mods on hold and get this instead.
We are projecting $3995.

Last edited by Hahn RaceCraft; 06-08-2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-08-2007, 10:38 PM

******* rock on.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by fbaero10
where can i buy this, when will this be on the market?

Wow I deff want one of these soon, so i can get it in by the next local cobalt meet! and maybe line up against some SC cobalts
We expect to ship the first systems later this month.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
Yes

We are projecting $3995.
that is really nice! but keep in mind, alot of people would like these the cheaper the more that will sell some kids still have car payments
Old 06-08-2007, 10:44 PM

I really don't 3995 is too high to get the performance - awaiting dyno figures - of a stage 1+ ss/sc.

What kind of upgrades should we do before hand to prep for this? Fuel pump, pistons, anything?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSergeant
I really don't 3995 is too high to get the performance - awaiting dyno figures - of a stage 1+ ss/sc.

What kind of upgrades should we do before hand to prep for this? Fuel pump, pistons, anything?
i think we dont need anything the kit is what we need and thats it. cause the solstice runs like 11-12s or whatever and thats stock internals

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
We expect to ship the first systems later this month.
just let me know when they are up for sale. i have to scrape some cash together somehow quick.

Last edited by fbaero10; 06-08-2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-08-2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Ohhhhh ****! Watch out 2.0 guys your days of being king of the hill are at an end! but don't worry us 2.4 turbo owners won't flame or pick on you the way some of you picked on us for getting such an unworthy to were the SS badge car.

So a month eh? Looks like I'll be working as much OT as the rail road and the federal govt will let me!

I know what I'm getting myself for my birthday! Hey quick question, how long of a turn around to flash the ECU? I don't want to be without a car for weeks.
yea same here. but omg MAJOR OT time. looks like the woman is not getting taken out to dinner for a while haha. maybe i should open another credit card and finance it.. Does Hahn have a credit card. hahaha hook me up with a credit line!!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:53 PM

Ohhhhh ****! Watch out 2.0 guys your days of being king of the hill are at an end! but don't worry us 2.4 turbo owners won't flame or pick on you the way some of you picked on us for getting such an unworthy to were the SS badge car.

So a month eh? Looks like I'll be working as much OT as the rail road and the federal govt will let me!

I know what I'm getting myself for my birthday! Hey quick question, how long of a turn around to flash the ECU? I don't want to be without a car for weeks.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 PM

and yea some 2.0 guys were picking on us. now we can go tell them to buy a 2 litter of mountain dew.. the lil 2.0s RAWR! haha. jk

Quick Reply: Hahn RaceCraft 2.4 Cobalt TurboSystem