2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Installing a Turbo (Tips)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing a Turbo (Tips)

So does anyone have any tips on installing a turbo (NJHK i realize i could put this in your thread but im just gonna be lazy).....for instance....i plan to do the install myself...and i have basic knowledge of the engine and what not.....how hard would it be for me.....i have looked it over and it doesnt look to hard to me.....it will be a winter install and i will have plenty of time to do it.....when i install the turbo...i dont need to remove the eninge from the bay do i ?.......just curious cuz i saw someone do that on a SRT4...?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:07 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The response you can expect is "if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it". However, I will try to help. Your question is really much too broad. There are so many small parts that make up a complete turbo system that to give a "tip" isn't really possible. No, you don't have to remove the engine. Yes, you do have to remove the front facia, and a lot of other things. Here's my tip. Buy a complete kit, don't get each part separately. That way you should get some nice instructions that will come with it and a company to back the kit up.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Halfcent.

I am going to UTI..so i dont have to "ask" how to do it..i should just..know.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:25 PM

again if you have to ask, dont. it is a very complicated thing to do and screw ups are not good. pay to get it done, it is not worth the risk and it will take you probably like at least 25+ hours where it will take a shop far less.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned

you have basic engine knowledge and want tips for installing a turbo?? best tip you'll get is don't try it... very bad move... it's not a matter of just bolting something on, there's a lot to if and if you don't have the know how to fix something when it goes wrong, i would have someone do it for you
Old 10-05-2006, 08:35 PM

If your asking wether you should take out the engine to install a turbo kit you really should NOT be doing. Dont install yourself, you are gong to blow up you car. You need to install a manifold and make pipes that go around your engine to your Throttle body down to the intercooler and to your turbo. Pipes must be fabricated. You cant just INSTALL a turbo. Plus youll need special tunning which cant be done at home. You need a dyno for this.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Banned

Best advice would be to find someone who has done this work before and go from there. Have them help you out. Do not attempt this alone, even if you think you have a good idea. Because remember if you mess something up your going to be out a hefty amount of money.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:05 PM

personally, i wouldnt even do it with help. i'd have a shop do it all because it is VERY complicated and if you screw up pretty much anything it can really cause problems.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 PM

if you do it on your own, i would reconmend a kit like what was said above. they do seem pretty easy to someone with basic engine knowledge, if i ever went twincharged or all turbo on my balt, i would probally do it myself, because i believe i can do it but there is alot more to it, like what was said above. it will take alot of time, but my best advice is to do lots of reseach on them, maybe look up some of the cavy/sunfire ecotec turbos they would probally be pretty simalar to are cars. but if you dont think you can do it then i dont think you should, if you feel that you can fique it out, then go for it. thats just my 2cents.... good luck either way you go!!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:41 PM

no one here seems to think you could do it. Its doable. Anything is. Except going through a revolving door with downhill skis

Get a hold of a turbo company that will be able to match you a turbo (trim, A/R, Bolt patterns) to your engine and manifold that you want to use.

Remember you need oil lines into and out of the turbo. Thats important. You have to find a place to plumb the return line to the oil sump. above the oil level, of course.

decide on an intercooler and where to put it. get some piping made up or make it yourself to connect it all together. get someone to tune it so you dont blow it up. Also, you'll need bigger injectors to put more fuel in with the air that a turbo will blow in. Its possible, but a kit is far easier because everything is already engineered for you, and nothing has been overlooked because its been tested already.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:53 PM

ok ok ok.....it seems i didnt break down the question enough.....first of all...i am going with the hahn kit...and i am well aware of the special piping it takes with a custom turbo ljavy.....anyways it is more than likely going to be an easy to moderate job....what i wanted to know was did i have to remove the engine to put the turbine itself on....not the whole damn kit--im not a *******--and i also know the front bumper has to come off for installation...trust me i have done alot of research on this.....just wasnt sure if i could get the turbine up into its spot behined the engine without removing the engine.....it believe it is a tight fit
Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ljavy17
If your asking wether you should take out the engine to install a turbo kit you really should NOT be doing. Dont install yourself, you are gong to blow up you car. You need to install a manifold and make pipes that go around your engine to your Throttle body down to the intercooler and to your turbo. Pipes must be fabricated. You cant just INSTALL a turbo. Plus youll need special tunning which cant be done at home. You need a dyno for this.
im sorry but this deserves a reply all to its own.....i know the question wasnt very clear....but damn man i know enough of what im doing not to blow up my car......holy **** im not a *****

Last edited by Halfcent; 10-13-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:27 PM

i think what everyone is getting at is.... you should just give up the turbo idea... In fact, i'll take it off your hands for you...

seriously tho... noone here has a turbo on thier cobalt, so i wouldnt take any 'tips' from them for the install...

you'll just have to take it slow and figure it out yourself... go ask the jbody guys...
Old 10-05-2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by bigworm
i think what everyone is getting at is.... you should just give up the turbo idea... In fact, i'll take it off your hands for you...

seriously tho... noone here has a turbo on thier cobalt, so i wouldnt take any 'tips' from them for the install...

you'll just have to take it slow and figure it out yourself... go ask the jbody guys...
lol yea right your not gettin my turbo....i know..i mean it ocmes with instructions and everything so it shouldnt be that hard to do...dunno thats just my opinion....
Old 10-07-2006, 03:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
again if you have to ask, dont. it is a very complicated thing to do and screw ups are not good. pay to get it done, it is not worth the risk and it will take you probably like at least 25+ hours where it will take a shop far less.
yeah it will take a long time but those shop hours are so very exspensive
Old 10-07-2006, 04:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mike25
just wasnt sure if i could get the turbine up into its spot behined the engine without removing the engine.....it believe it is a tight fit
i agree that it will be a very tight fit although i dont recommend removing the motor you may have to jack it up a little bit
Old 10-09-2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by k2kwj
i agree that it will be a very tight fit although i dont recommend removing the motor you may have to jack it up a little bit
yep...well i checked ...just by eyeballin it....and i dont belieev it will fit coming in from the top.....however with the exhaust mani/downpipe removed...i believe there will be no prob getting it up in there
Old 10-09-2006, 08:33 PM

again i would not reccomend this if you have to ask. Not because it is so complicated that it can't be done, but because one screw up can cause MAJOR problems and when there are so many components and so many steps, without some experience, you are likely to mess something up. If you are VERY confident in your mechanical skills, go for it, but definately have someone that knows what they are doing work with you/check it over when you are done. if you aren't posotive you could do it, just get a shop isntall, it is worth 8-900 bucks to get it done professionaly and not have to worry.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:42 PM

900 bucks for a turbo install, do you accept cash?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello again. So I now understand you plan on using the Hahn kit (once it actually gets released). You should do fine then. Mounting the turbo is probably the most space restrictive part of the installation, however, it does fit. You will not have to remove the engine. That would suck.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
again i would not reccomend this if you have to ask. Not because it is so complicated that it can't be done, but because one screw up can cause MAJOR problems and when there are so many components and so many steps, without some experience, you are likely to mess something up. If you are VERY confident in your mechanical skills, go for it, but definately have someone that knows what they are doing work with you/check it over when you are done. if you aren't posotive you could do it, just get a shop isntall, it is worth 8-900 bucks to get it done professionaly and not have to worry.
I 100% agree
Old 10-09-2006, 09:58 PM

i say go for it, people have to start some where with these and if its somthing he wanst to get to know itl be a great experiance, plus youl know every componet of your engine from now on and how to fix it if something does ever go wrong. just get some one to come over and give you hand that has a turbo kit or worked on turbo cars befor. should be a really fun time. take your time run all the lines right make sure you follow all the directions and be carefull. i sure as **** would pay a shop to instal a bolt on turbo kit especially more then 500
Old 10-09-2006, 10:18 PM

well i want to do it myself.....sure i havnt done any type of work concerning this...but i have people that i know that are good with this sorta stuff.....besides the kit comes with special instructions and what not and i am very thorough and careful so i dont see where i could go wrong if i just double check everything....and thanks halfcent for answering the original question....
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 PM

The absolute best advice I can give you for this install and for later installs (big and small) is: TAKE YOUR TIME DO NOT RUSH
Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ljavy17
Oh and, Good job hitting 120 in your 2.4 lol.......Can it make it to 125?
lmao omg here we go.....let the 2.4/2.0 wars begin...again...

Quick Reply: Installing a Turbo (Tips)