2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Likes and Dislikes for SS 2.4L?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Likes and Dislikes for SS 2.4L?

All of you 2.4L owners, would you mind posting your likes and your dislikes of your car thanks
Old 11-22-2005, 07:35 PM

Likes...

1) Sound with the SRI.
2) Ability to chirp the tires off the line.
3) Handling.
4) Pioneer Stereo.
5) 17" Chrome Wheels.
6) Heated Leather Seats :
7) 4 Wheel Disc Brakes.
8) Fuel Mileage.

Dislikes...

1) Lack of a 5th gear in auto tranny (get with the program GM!! Ford has a SIX speed auto).
2) No rear wiper to clear huge back glass.

Those are my two main beefs with the car... other minor things that annoy me are.

1) No locking glovebox / console.
2) Cup holders are too close to climate controls, are too closely spaced, and are too small.
3) I'd rather have a 6-disc changer than this stupid XM radio.

On a side note.... what's with the black interior with a tan-ish headliner and A-pillars?? Not that I dislike it.... but I find it kinda odd.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by SilverStreak
Lack of a 5th gear in auto tranny (get with the program GM!! Ford has a SIX speed auto).
The Cobalt wil be a ways off from seing one, but the Impala, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, etc. will be getting the 6-speed auto on the C6 in a few years.

I would imagine that that won'y happen in the Cobalt for some time.

Sucks though, I agree. There really isn't such a huge difference though to be honest.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverStreak
Likes...

1) Sound with the SRI.
2) Ability to chirp the tires off the line.
3) Handling.
4) Pioneer Stereo.
5) 17" Chrome Wheels.
6) Heated Leather Seats :
7) 4 Wheel Disc Brakes.
8) Fuel Mileage.

Dislikes...

1) Lack of a 5th gear in auto tranny (get with the program GM!! Ford has a SIX speed auto).
2) No rear wiper to clear huge back glass.

Those are my two main beefs with the car... other minor things that annoy me are.

1) No locking glovebox / console.
2) Cup holders are too close to climate controls, are too closely spaced, and are too small.
3) I'd rather have a 6-disc changer than this stupid XM radio.

On a side note.... what's with the black interior with a tan-ish headliner and A-pillars?? Not that I dislike it.... but I find it kinda odd.
haha, my car came with a 6 disc changer. haha
Old 11-22-2005, 10:49 PM

dislikes: rev limiter, and the seat belts they kinda rub the neck and I've tried everything to adjust them.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:08 PM

I love mine! I added the s/c wing to it... its amazing. i do wish it had the ipod jack, and think the black/tan interior is a strange choice... but the car handles great, is very sporty, and is fast. I love it!
Old 11-23-2005, 12:38 AM

- speed
- handling
- quiet when slow driving, louder when on it
- price
- classy for its class
- seats
-steering wheel

dislikes
- very loud engine tick (could be a problem, GM should tell me soon)
- crap brake rotors
- tires too small, 215 or even 225 would be nicer
- paint job (scatches everywhere)
Old 11-23-2005, 12:42 AM

yeah my black SS has those very small scratches also. The exhaust pops alot after you turn the car off lol.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:34 AM

I like it over all. But, the steering ratio is too slow and the body leans too much. I wish it had summer tires on it. I wish the seats had more side support. I also wish the auto had a normal drive. "I" is kinda like that, but with alot more engine braking, too much so to use on an everyday basis. I guess this sounds like quite a wish list. But since it does say SS on it, it should probably have these things. But for the money it is quite a nice car, and it is classier than alot of economy based cars tend to be.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:11 AM

Only thing I can think of is the interior. The Black and silver, then the baige. I also dont like the parking brake, but they are the same on all cobalts. I think it looks cheap, too plain. I will agree with what someone above said, the brake rotors suck too.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonsfire12345
The exhaust pops alot after you turn the car off lol.
that is amazingly annoying...
Old 11-23-2005, 09:07 AM

I pretty much have the same likes and dislikes as everyone else. I dont have any huge problems with it yet.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:03 PM

i dont own 1 yet , but ive test driven alot of them

the big hate was the auto , shifter needs all 4 spots for the drive gears(my cavalier does) , or should have a manual mode like the upper models , trac controll needs on-off switch , or to be less sensitive at higher speeds , the bigger cars have the switch

the 4dr i drove on a small test track(kinda auto x style) had a weird rattle when tossed into corners hard(2dr didnt do it)

the cloth seats were a little to firm feeling

215/45 or 225/45 17's would have been a better and more common tire choice , and fit the wheels better

the rest of the car 2dr or 4dr , were great

leather seats seamed more comfy , plus the butt warmers will keep the g/f or wife happy , LOL

handling and ride are great , has smaller front bar than the ss/sc so swaping in the ss/sc would help it handle better

over all i actually like the car better than the ss/sc , which is why i plan on getting 1 , bad thing is ill have to special order mine , because no one seams to order 5spd around here , and i do not want side air bags or onstar , and i have seen both on them with out the other
Old 11-23-2005, 01:28 PM

i like :the heated seats, s/c ground effects and wing, acceleration, gauges consoli dont like :tan roof should have been black, cup holders too small, 4 speed auto should be 5 speed, trac should have switch, needs in dash cd changer,
Old 11-23-2005, 01:35 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but where did you guys get the ground effects of the S/C for your 2.4. I found the part number for the wing on GM Direct but no luck on the front and back peices.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:33 PM

A black roof would make the car seem smaller.... My sis's 03 cav has the same set up black carpet, dash and seats, but tan roof. you say the a pillars are tan too? thats just f-ed up.
I dont have one yet, but my biggest complaint when i test drove it was the seats; not supportive and doesnt ratchet low enough.
and the auto trans was a little odd, where is 3rd? and what is I?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by vic_romano
that is amazingly annoying...

I think you are refering to the catalytic converter. Lots of cars do this. I hear it for about 5 secs before I walk out of the garage.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by stlurbanpunk
A black roof would make the car seem smaller.... My sis's 03 cav has the same set up black carpet, dash and seats, but tan roof. you say the a pillars are tan too? thats just f-ed up.
I dont have one yet, but my biggest complaint when i test drove it was the seats; not supportive and doesnt ratchet low enough.

i think the **** pattern is 1st 3rd and 4th
Old 11-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stlurbanpunk
The auto on the Cobalt definitely is strange. I don't own one, but from what I've heard, "L" locks it in 1st gear, "I" is 2nd or 3rd gear, and "D" is 4th.

"I" works as both a 2nd and 3rd gear by automatically selecting the lowest ratio based on your speed. So if you are going too fast to go into 2nd, it will just downshift to 3rd. If you slow down enough for it to comfortably shift into 2nd, then it will do that and then shift to 3rd again when your speed increases. Its an interesting system, but theoretically it seems like it should work pretty well.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:07 PM

On my 2.4L when its in "L" it will redline in first then shift to second... when second reaches redline it will bounce unless you shift it to "I".... Same thing in "I" it will redline and bounce until you shift into "D" Really weird how it works... Manual says that "I" (Intelligent) mode is for more engine braking and holds the RPM's a lot higher. "I" Mode adapts to the way you drive if you put it in "I" instead of "D"
Old 11-25-2005, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by 06CobaltSSSedan
Manual says that "I" (Intelligent) mode.
lol...inteligent...
Old 11-28-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
Sorry to hijack this thread, but where did you guys get the ground effects of the S/C for your 2.4. I found the part number for the wing on GM Direct but no luck on the front and back peices.
i dont know my dealer had them on my 2.4 before i bought it so they took care of all that, i would say go to a dealer tell them you need the parts and they will find them for you
Old 11-28-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 06CobaltSSSedan
On my 2.4L when its in "L" it will redline in first then shift to second... when second reaches redline it will bounce unless you shift it to "I".... Same thing in "I" it will redline and bounce until you shift into "D" Really weird how it works... Manual says that "I" (Intelligent) mode is for more engine braking and holds the RPM's a lot higher. "I" Mode adapts to the way you drive if you put it in "I" instead of "D"
so would it be safe to use l to launch at the strip then shift it into I for 2 and 3 then into d for 4? or would it be safer to leave it in d for all that and just deal with the traction control?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
so would it be safe to use l to launch at the strip then shift it into I for 2 and 3 then into d for 4? or would it be safer to leave it in d for all that and just deal with the traction control?
Its not really a matter of safety lol, just a matter of which method gives you the best times

My advice is to start in the lowest shifter setting possible in order to disable the traction control and then shift up to "D" once you are off the line and you get traction. Shifting through each gear manually offers no benefit on modern electronically controlled transmissions, it merely confuses the computer and can actually cost you time instead of helping.

On older (vacuum controlled) transmissions, shifting through each gear manually could be beneficial, because many times they were mechanically set up to shift well before redline.

So my advice to you is start off in "L", get traction, throw it up to "D" once the tires grab, and then just keep the throttle pinned and hold on
Old 11-29-2005, 08:39 AM

is it ok to go from L to D skipping right over I?

Quick Reply: Likes and Dislikes for SS 2.4L?